Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,383
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
Mitama, Agravity, UxU, Mashle and Guardian

Personally, I love romance, so I'll read a lot of stuff if it has any sort of romantic subplot, even if that's not what it's about. (Of course I end up enjoying it for other things in addition to or apart form the romance). Hell, I'm actually reading Koisome Momiji as I type. Yet, I feel as if Weekly Shonen Jump always produces the same type of romcoms, personally, complete with similar character archetypes, settings, and especially tropes, with a few twists here and there. For comparison, Weekly Young Jump has Kaguya-sama: Love is War, The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You, and Kowloon Generic Romance all being serialized right now, and all three of them are quite different. I guess the magazine's strict like that - stick to what works for you (even though GoToubun is outselling WNL by a country mile).



Miitama and (hopefully) Guardian. I honestly can'tsay for the bottom 5. But damn, we now have at least 3 gag manga in the magazine. One of them has got to survive.
Well, it's why I said that WSJ just has one type, which is romcom with harem. Other magazines have more than one type of romance like WSM, for example, which in the last years had 5 or more romance manga from different types. But, I like WNL (which I prefer over 5toubun) and Yuna (which is much better than TLR).. and before that, I"s, Ichigo 100% and other manga from there so I can't exactly complain, even more because I don't read WSJ exclusively anyway. XD

I'd like to see a battle harem romcom. One where the girls fight each other in hyper violent, Jojo-esque fights.
That could be Yuna and in some chapters, it was. But now they're more rivals than anything.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My personal gripe with romcom manga is that they are all too familiar. I feel like there are only so many new, twisty and subversive premises you can make in a japanese highschool setting, and even a lot of the different ones just end up feeling the same sooner or later (mostly sooner to me). Mixing other genres and settings into them can make them so much more interesting and engaging. Currently I'm enjoying Necromance in WSM, and I don't even think the romance at its core is all that good, but it can do so much with it that it keeps me engaged. It has some big, save the world end goals (which is how the story started too), but you don't even need that. A slice of lifeish romcom could take place in a sci fi setting too, maybe in a mundane space station revolving around the daily life of passangers or crew of a year long flight. Or fantasy in a small village or town merchants or craftsmen, kinda like the Atelier series of games.
But I guess I'm just not a fan of the genre and just want it to change to suit my interests, lol...
No, no, you're right. Romcoms can be quite derivative at times, so your criticism and solutions are valid. I'm just kind of a purist when it comes to that genre. Romcom is my favorite genre, so I'm quite protective of it. And I agree, mixing things up is a good way to keep things fresh. Necromance, while not a WSJ manga, is a good example of this. The world and how the main cast are brought up in, specifically the MC and Female Lead(can't remember their names. Honestly fell behind on the series a bit) allow for some amusing but endearing moments between the two. I think setting and laws or rules there within could definitely play a significant role in how romance between characters play out without losing the core of what makes a good romance story.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
That could be Yuna and in some chapters, it was. But now they're more rivals than anything.
True, the series has had moments when it became a battle series. But I don't think the series has had actual fights between the girls. I'm talking about fights on the level of the Viviano Westwood fight from Jojo Part 6.
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
I'd like to see a battle harem romcom. One where the girls fight each other in hyper violent, Jojo-esque fights.
The recent Yui Kamio was kinda like that at points, although most (if not all, but I have already forgotten the details) fights were ended by chad MC heroically adding the girls to his harem. Too bad the series had a major identity crises.

But the battle harem genre was also the last big (and usually low effort) trend before the current wave of isekai. But I guess none of them, at least that I know of, filled that true sukeban niche that you might be thinking of. Those could have a lot of potential in Jump, maybe like Champion's Rokudou no Onna-tachi but with more super powered fights.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
Personally, I want Mitama and Mashle to survive, but I also think Guardian of the Witch will probably stick around for a while.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I'd like to see a battle harem romcom. One where the girls fight each other in hyper violent, Jojo-esque fights.
Speaking as some who knows his JP media, battle harem as a genre is up there with isekai in terms of shovelware genres. A few of them are genuinely good, but a lot of them range from indulgent to just plain bad.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Guardian of the Witch was so... bleh. Biggest disappointment of this batch.

The final sequence didn't make any sense to me. A lot of things didn't make any sense, to tell the truth...I though that maybe if this first chapter ended with the demon thing revelations and then it had more time to develop the two MCs relation before the events that happened at the end of the chapter, it could be better.

Mashle's humour style doesn't click to me, I didn't even chuckle this chapter, but I see that it makes some people's humour style, so that's ok! ONE's style doesn't click to me, too, so... that was expected haha!
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
I believe Mitama has the best chances, and also I root for it with all my force. As for the others, I have no idea but I hope Zipman survives, too. Even though it's generic and I see a lot of people criticizing it, I like it.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
Note that this is what I hope will happen, not necessarily what I believe will happen. Mitama is the best of the bunch and I definitely want to keep that one around to help fill the void that Saiki and Samon left. Undead Unluck has also been interesting, so I'd also keep that around. I'd be a bit sad if Yozakura left just because I can still see a glimmer of hope in it. Mashle seems like it'll be a simple, fun ride, so maybe I'd be a bit sad to see it go. Agravity wouldn't really impact me one way or another. I don't really feel anything towards Witch either. Zipman is my least favorite of this bunch since it's so generic. Wouldn't mind seeing it go, along with Samurai 8.

Personally, I love romance, so I'll read a lot of stuff if it has any sort of romantic subplot, even if that's not what it's about. (Of course I end up enjoying it for other things in addition to or apart form the romance). Hell, I'm actually reading Koisome Momiji as I type. Yet, I feel as if Weekly Shonen Jump always produces the same type of romcoms, personally, complete with similar character archetypes, settings, and especially tropes, with a few twists here and there. For comparison, Weekly Young Jump has Kaguya-sama: Love is War, The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You, and Kowloon Generic Romance all being serialized right now, and all three of them are quite different. I guess the magazine's strict like that - stick to what works for you (even though GoToubun is outselling WNL by a country mile).
All 3 of those Weekly Young Jump series are really interesting romcoms that I have found fascinating. I'm not sure if those types of romcoms would resonate with the readers of WSJ though. Something like Mato Slave may be a better fit for the magazine readers.
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
Mitama Secureity / Undead x Unluck / Guardian of the Witch

I think those 3 will make it.

I have hope for Zipman too. ''Sentai'' stories are really famous in Japan. Because there's not much ongoing sentai manga right now, this one can survive thanks to this situation. Sadly, the story is too simple, but this kind of dialogues, battles etc... are typical of sentai genre.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
True, the series has had moments when it became a battle series. But I don't think the series has had actual fights between the girls. I'm talking about fights on the level of the Viviano Westwood fight from Jojo Part 6.
There was that mini arc where everyone fought each other in a battle royale. Or when everyone fought against Hiougi. And more that I don't remember right now where the pretendents fought against each other. Not for winning the guy or something but for other motives.

Speaking as some who knows his JP media, battle harem as a genre is up there with isekai in terms of shovelware genres. A few of them are genuinely good, but a lot of them range from indulgent to just plain bad.
Eh, there's quite more than a few, even more when Isekai is mostly a setting/premise from light novels and not something really present on manga outside of adaptations of said LN. And just from male and female demographics with male and female MC in those, I could cite quite a lot that I consider good and with different genres inside them from action to comedy to slice of life. And probably more, but I need to read more of them and to get into more female focused isekai LN to say more about them.

Now about battle harem, the only one which I remember and love it is Rosario+Vampire. Even more the Seasons II.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
3,120
Age
24
Country
United States
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
High Chance of Surviving: Mitama, Agravity Boys
Good Chance of Surviving: MASHLE and Undead Unluck
Medium Chance of Surviving: Guardian of the Witch and Yozakura
Low Chance of Surviving: Zipman
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of new romcoms, didn't Yabuki do a one shot last year I believe for a romcom that was straight out a girl/girl, or at least heavily hinted it would be, romcom? With Darling in the Franxx over, if we're not getting To Love Ru part 3, I'd really love to see an idea like that from him with his penchant for drawing cute girls.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
I'm a sucker for love triangles, so anything that maintains that kind of setting would be cool with me. Heck, I'd be cool with a love rectangle too as long as the story doesn't exceed more than 3 girls for the MC. Maybe have some other male/female characters that have their own love interest to coincide with the MC and his love woes. Stuff like ToraDora, Kaguya, Kimi ni Todoke, etc. basically. I'm fine with something fluffy that focuses on one or two couples too. As long as it's not another harem, I'll be happy honestly.
Hoping we eventually get a School Rumble type of romcom in jump.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Only small thing I really didn’t like about Guardian was the characters’ names.

And the:
“Oh yeah, my family was suddenly killed right in front of me.”
Yeah, Mufasa is not a very feminine name. Very strange.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If Mitama was the only newbie of this group of 7 I would be completely fine, I don't think I'm ready for if it gets axed. That being said, I do hope Agravity also survives, I've been enjoying it the second most out of the newbies. Zipman and Yozakura could get axed and I wouldn't care that much. It's a bit to early to say with the newest 3 but I wouldn't be too upset to see Mashle or UxU survive. Still undecided on Witch Guardian
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
Agravity Boys is getting extra pages, so I’m going to assume it’s doing at least somewhat well as of now.
And Mitama seems to be doing well.

Yozakura seems to be doomed as of now, but we’ll have to wait to see sales.

If I’m gonna guess based on what I’ve read, I’ll say I think everything else will get axed at some point.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I'm fairly certain thats how he replies.


I get the reason why Horikoshi might have wanted to choose that name in relation to the character but Japan was horrible during the world war and were atrocious in many forms and manner. There are many things that were never addressed or acknowledged after the war ended.

If this is something that still stings people just like the holocaust or hitler and nazis or like slavery of African people then it should be changed. If you're not from their race/background, you shouldn't get a say in it irrespective of whether or not you think its fine. Simple.

I initially thought it'd just be some lame controversy because people these days stir shit up unnecessarily but this unfortunately isn't that small or simple.
I'll agree this is not an easy topic to mention in any medium whatsoever, but the problem that remains is that these people are ignoring the whole context of the character that was given the name.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think I know the rules, but do I have to read a specific chart before posting something here ?
Aside from what others have said, it's not a bad idea to read these Forum Rules.

Also, welcome to the site/thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top