Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Finally took a look at this. Seeing that decaptated head made me wonder, what is the limit for violence in Jump? I know that Yuuna uses the "testing the limits of Jump" text quite often for the really ecchi parts, but what about violence? I imagine that Chainsaw Man pushes it quite often, but when is the point where it's too much for Jump?
I suppose showing organs is where its too much? Toriko vs Starjun fight comes to mind. That was very violent in general, especially for a battle shonen. I suppose both CSM & Toriko pushes it quite often in terms of "recent" years.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I suppose showing organs is where its too much? Toriko vs Starjun fight comes to mind. That was very violent in general, especially for your traditional battle shonen. I suppose both CSM & Toriko pushes it quite often in terms of "recent" years.
The weird thing is that, even with the copious amounts of blood, the fights in Toriko never felt that violent, to me at least, due to how over-the-top powerful everyone was. Kimetsu and Jujutsu feel more violent IMO because there's a palpable sense that the characters are in genuine physical danger.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Kimetsu no Yaiba is in the 7-8 territory. I don't know if chainsaw man and some others will be higher
CSM is higher.,,
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The weird thing is that, even with the copious amounts of blood, the fights in Toriko never felt that violent, to me at least, due to how over-the-top powerful everyone was. Kimetsu and Jujutsu feel more violent IMO because there's a palpable sense that the characters are in genuine physical danger.
Regardless of the danger &/or if they regenerate afterwards, its still violence. Kimetsu/CSM has moments where the characters regenerate, it still doesnt take away from the violence. Id say Toriko is definitely more violent than Kimetsu and prob JJK (of what little Ive read of it).
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
What about violence/gore in older manga like Fist of the North Star? How do they compare to newer manga like chainsaw man and KNY?
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Seems like the censoring is somewhat inconsistent. A chapter from the 2018 run had a small panel with what I assume are entrails on full display (though admitedly it's hard to make out the details).
I think the difference is that they're by themselves, vs. seeing them on the (human) body they belong to.

And then you have stuff like this, where I guess Viz had to censor (or keep the censor? Not sure if they were in the magazine release) to keep that T+ rating.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I think the difference is that they're by themselves, vs. seeing them on the (human) body they belong to.

And then you have stuff like this, where I guess Viz had to censor (or keep the censor? Not sure if they were in the magazine release) to keep that T+ rating.
That chapter was censored for every official release, it wasn't only a Viz thing. The WSJ version, Tankobon version, and even the Jump Colored Comics version of that specific chapter are censored.
Odd that they censored that. Hunter showed way worse before. Chapter 236 remains a mystery.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
That chapter was censored for every official release, it wasn't only a Viz thing. The WSJ version, Tankobon version, and even the Jump Colored Comics version of that specific chapter are censored.
Odd that they censored that. Hunter showed way worse before. Chapter 236 remains a mystery.

Very Do they also censor KNY like that in official releases because decapitated heads is the second most common occurrence, only beaten by mutilated eyes
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
What about violence/gore in older manga like Fist of the North Star? How do they compare to newer manga like chainsaw man and KNY?
More violent than KnY that's for sure. KnY isnt as violent as CSM. CSM is the most violent title in the magazine since the 2000s at least.

Its a different time though. Series like FOTNS, JJBA (although violent in general) and even Kinnikuman got very violent. Fist of the north star takes the cake I believe. I feel like there may be more better examples out there than those but I forget.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I still think that the Teppei scene on Toriko ch 208 is one of the most disturbing and violent (psychologically) ending of chapter on Shonen Jump, the way everything was built just to give you a punch in the stomach at the end, that was genius writing from Shimabukuro
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
For me, nothing beats seeing a mother literally eat her child in the first part of JJBA.

That I was genuinely shocked by.
Gah. I'd forgotten about that.

And it looks like that chapter was at the very back of its issue, so maybe it didn't scar too many kids. :heh
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
More violent than KnY that's for sure. KnY isnt as violent as CSM. CSM is the most violent title in the magazine since the 2000s at least.

Its a different time though. Series like FOTNS, JJBA (although violent in general) and even Kinnikuman got very violent. Fist of the north star takes the cake I believe. I feel like there may be more better examples out there than those but I forget.
North Star is kind of an odd duck in a lot of ways compared to later Jump manga. That's not a bad thing (I actually feel the series is fasinating if looked at akin to a religious parable), but it definetely stands out when you look at the timeline of how battle manga developed.

For me, nothing beats seeing a mother literally eat her child in the first part of JJBA.

That I was genuinely shocked by.
I sometimes wonder how audiences of Jump at the time took JoJo in general. It would've...stood out, to say the least.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
For me, nothing beats seeing a mother literally eat her child in the first part of JJBA.

That I was genuinely shocked by.
I remembered finding it really ridiculous and somewhat hilarious.
I always find early Jojo and oldschool gory stuffs quaint. Jojo is most grotesque when it focus on body horror, Metallica for example.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I remembered finding it really ridiculous and somewhat hilarious.
I always find early Jojo and oldschool gory stuffs quaint.
It wasn't so much the imagery itself, but the attached dialogue. It's been a while since I read it, but it was something about the mother stating that she'd never harm her child, then Dio turns her into a vampire, and moments later that motherly instinct to protect your child is gone.

I don't know, it struck a chord with me, because it reminded me that our emotions aren't this mystical, magical thing, and that changing our brain chemistry makes us completely change as people.

Like, is consciousness a thing, or just biology. I don't know, maybe I was overthinking it.
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
JJK should get the cover next issue for the 2nd year Anniversary
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Is it wrong that that Dorei Yuugi cover is making me laugh uncontrollably?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top