Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,401
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,401
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have to say, It's been a torture to read Neverland in those last 30 chapters. How the mighty have fallen.
Not a torture for me but yeah, this last arc just seems like is taking forever, at first i was "why is being so rushed?" now i'm "this is taking so long..." lol
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Not a torture for me but yeah, this last arc just seems like is taking forever, at first i was "why is being so rushed?" now i'm "this is taking so long..." lol
Not just that, but most of its characters got increasingly cartoonish and one dimensional, and made me hate a cast that i once loved so much. The new characters sucked since their first appearance too, especially this supposed final villain.
I feel like this isnt far from the common consensus at most places of discussion for English speakers online, but i wonder how far it is from the Japanese audience's feelings. Must still be positive considering its sales and ToC placements.
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is it that unusual for a new series that's yet to be ranked to receive an official Twitter account?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Is it that unusual for a new series that's yet to be ranked to receive an official Twitter account?
It is really early. Funky over on the WSJ discord found the account before anyone knew it was official (about a week ago). I didn't believe it at first because it was really really early, and it's "_of" instead of "_off".
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Is it that unusual for a new series that's yet to be ranked to receive an official Twitter account?
Yes, meanwhile Samurai 8 got an official twitter a month before its first chapter even dropped lol
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States

So, for anyone curious, UxU's Vol 1 release was pushed forwards to April specifically because of high demand. Good sign?
UxU to become the big hit of 2020 and officially kick off the new decade of jump I hear?
What’s that smell Nak? Big fat W in sight and you absolutely love to see it
 

kakilangit

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
275
Reaction score
403
Age
34
Country
Indonesia
guardian of the with is the most boring one from 5 new batch...meh//
character are bland and the main lead had 0 chemistry in my eye...
the power system is nothing new, flame witch and swordman???? really???
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I can agree that Witch's Guardian feels like it's missing something. I can't place what that thing is exactly but I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more I actually am, like the core ideas of the setting is something that would really appeal to me but the execution feels kind of lacking.

Mashle was fun parody shenanigans again however and Undead continues to have really cool powers and fights. Undead was something I thought I'd dislike too at first glance but of all the new series since Chainsawman, it's probably the one who's intro stuff I've enjoyed the most. Even if the main two's relationship is creepy.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
Zipman's vibes though... I feel like Shibata himself just wants to stop this series
 

Pudazuka

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
163
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I can agree that Witch's Guardian feels like it's missing something. I can't place what that thing is exactly but I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more I actually am, like the core ideas of the setting is something that would really appeal to me but the execution feels kind of lacking.
For me it's the bland male lead. I know we're only a few chapters in, but he strikes me as the uncharismatic "I will protect you no matter what"-hero type, quite similar to Kirito imo. Idk, I just liked him better in the first chapter, when he was still unsure what to do and not driven by a motivation that was never really explained to the readers.

I prefer the witch and her maid (?) so far, since they are easier to relate to.
 
Last edited:

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I can agree that Witch's Guardian feels like it's missing something. I can't place what that thing is exactly but I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more I actually am, like the core ideas of the setting is something that would really appeal to me but the execution feels kind of lacking.

Mashle was fun parody shenanigans again however and Undead continues to have really cool powers and fights. Undead was something I thought I'd dislike too at first glance but of all the new series since Chainsawman, it's probably the one who's intro stuff I've enjoyed the most. Even if the main two's relationship is creepy.
For me, it's the choreography. I know we're only 4 chapters in, but the action scenes aren't really wowing me. The author's fundamentals of shonen manga writing are good, but clearly unpolished, as we see in the barebones of his characters. It feels like the author is the type that needs a long leash before his talent finally shines through. Unfortunately, Jump may not have the patience for that.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Is it that unusual for a new series that's yet to be ranked to receive an official Twitter account?
Should it be that weird tho? I think having Social Media accounts should be one of the highest priorities for new series that want to promote themselves and also release social media campaigns like Mitama's. It's a really good way to find potential readers and create a bigger audience.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
This one is saying thanks for so many followers despite the twitter account not even being announced yet. Seems like they're implying the manga is "popular" in some of the tweets too

Samurai 8 also has an official account, and is always on the botton for selling badly.
And look, the editors gave him many opportunities.
However, I'm sorry if I don't think UxU this well of genius that you think.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Should it be that weird tho? I think having Social Media accounts should be one of the highest priorities for new series that want to promote themselves and also release social media campaigns like Mitama's. It's a really good way to find potential readers and create a bigger audience.
Mitama sold more than Spring weapon n ° 1, and that lasted seven volumes
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Mitama sold more than Spring weapon n ° 1, and that lasted seven volumes
...Spring Weapon sold 10K for Vol 1.

Mitama did about 4K.

What is counting.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Incidentally, between WNL ending in a few chapters, Zipman on the chopping block and Samurai 8 possibly at its doom, we're likely to see another batch at around the end of March.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top