Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
2019 films watched so far

Parasite - 10/10
The Lighthouse - 9/10
Pain and Glory - 8.5/10
I Lost My Body - 8.5/10
And Then We Danced - 8.5/10 (highly recommend this one, it's a Swedish-Georgian production which has stirred up a lot of hatred in homophobic Georgia - the cast and crew had bodyguards on set because of death threats - which is a testament to how important it is. Maybe I rate it a bit high because of that, but so be it.)
Klaus - 8.5/10
Jojo Rabbit - 8/10
Rocketman - 8/10
1917 - 8/10
Joker - 8/10
Marriage Story
- 8/10
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 8/10
Toy Story 4 - 8/10
The Two Popes - 8/10
Us - 7.5/10
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- 7.5/10
Missing Link - 7/10

Alita: Battle Angel - 7/10
Ready or Not - 7/10
Zombieland: Double Tap - 7/10
Ford v Ferrari -
7/10
The Irishman - 7/10
Judy -
7/10
Frozen II - 6/10
Yesterday - 6/10
The Lion King - 5/10
Added the ones in red.

Currently picking off the Oscar films before getting to the - frankly, to me - mostly more interesting ones of last year.
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden

I think this is great.
Getting soooooo much shit from the internet, as expected. It's better than I expected and much better than many Bond themes. I'm not fan in general of this sort of singing which so many mainstream artists have adapted, and not a fan of her other music, but think she sings this just fine, and instrumentally it's a great, suspenseful song.

Reminds me of that ancient saying... "haters gonna hate".
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
No new movies seen as of yet, have quite a few to catch up on, although I did go to a 4k restoration screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I'm not exactly crazy about the film, it's good and way ahead of its time for sure, but it's not exactly as rewatchable as many other Kubrick films.
I went because 2 of my friends hadn't seen it yet, and also, well, it was a 4k restoration (overseen by Christopher Nolan, I believe).

So yeah, it was alright, plus I believe the last time I actually saw the film from beginning to end was like 10 years ago, or more, so yeah it was fine.

Today I also went and saw The Lighthouse in theaters for the 2nd time, accompanied by two friends who watched it for the first time.
Worth every cent :super
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,842
Reaction score
23,504
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Getting soooooo much shit from the internet, as expected. It's better than I expected and much better than many Bond themes. I'm not fan in general of this sort of singing which so many mainstream artists have adapted, and not a fan of her other music, but think she sings this just fine, and instrumentally it's a great, suspenseful song.

Reminds me of that ancient saying... "haters gonna hate".
Sounds good to me too. I'm not particularly interested in seeing the bond movie but that certainly sounds like a perfectly fine bond theme.

Skyfall was a good movie. But Spectre IMO, wasn't. I honestly feel like the more dramatic take on Bond is getting a bit played out. They aren't particularly fun movies anymore. Which for an action movie is kind of a problem because they are inherently pretty dumb. If they're going to take it all as seriously as they have been they really have to have a good story to back it up. And I have no confidence they'll have that.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
No new movies seen as of yet, have quite a few to catch up on, although I did go to a 4k restoration screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I'm not exactly crazy about the film, it's good and way ahead of its time for sure, but it's not exactly as rewatchable as many other Kubrick films.
I went because 2 of my friends hadn't seen it yet, and also, well, it was a 4k restoration (overseen by Christopher Nolan, I believe).

So yeah, it was alright, plus I believe the last time I actually saw the film from beginning to end was like 10 years ago, or more, so yeah it was fine.
I've always wondered to myself how different the film version of 2010 would have been if Kubrick directed it as well. It's by no means a bad film but it lacked the mystique the first one had. It wasn't really Kubrick's style to do sequels obviously, but I think the second film/book has a more interesting story in some ways.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Went to a screening of The Gentlemen since I won some tickets, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

I would say it's a perfectly fine movie, and more in line with what I like/have seen from Guy Ritchie (Snatch, RocknRolla, the crime layered stuff), which, to me, is when he's at his best.

However, I felt like his new film resembled more an episode from a tv show, rather than a movie. It felt too "self-contained", if that makes any sense.

In his early films, you get a sense of the "bigger picture, bigger world with lots of players", but here? I don't know but everything felt very small, and whenever a "twist" was revealed, well of course it had to be X character because who else?

So nothing was really surprising and stimulating, didn't really feel like the story had many ways where it could go even though they play around with your expectations quite a lot, but in the end it's all in favor to some quick gags.

I still had a good time, and there were many laughs to be had, but at the same time it was somewhat underwhelming. Maybe not in the "it's quite predictable" sense, but more like, "yeah doesn't really surprise me that this happened, or that this character did that, etc."

Felt a little too safe and contrived at times.

I just don't think he'll ever top "Snatch", but I hope he does.


I've always wondered to myself how different the film version of 2010 would have been if Kubrick directed it as well. It's by no means a bad film but it lacked the mystique the first one had. It wasn't really Kubrick's style to do sequels obviously, but I think the second film/book has a more interesting story in some ways.
I went back and read the synopsis of the books, which I hadn't done in years, and it's always weird seeing how the story develops after 2001.
I mean Dave Bowman and HAL end up becoming a single being o_0...

Have never seen 2010, I might some day.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Anything Guy Ritchie does which shows a hint of his Snatch/Lock, Stock days is interesting enough to me. I did enjoy the first Sherlock Holmes film somewhat, for what it was, but like you say I doubt he'll ever make another Snatch. Still will watch The Gentlemen for sure, just not in theatres.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I went back and read the synopsis of the books, which I hadn't done in years, and it's always weird seeing how the story develops after 2001.
I mean Dave Bowman and HAL end up becoming a single being o_0...

Have never seen 2010, I might some day.
Yeah it's perhaps not as obvious that the books would go in this direction, but if you're familiar with Arthur C. Clarke's work it's not surprising. The first film is as much of an art film as it is science fiction film, maybe even more. Of course, the ending of the movie sort of alludes to some of the stuff in later books but it's not the easiest thing to interpret.

I think Tom Hanks was attached to them doing a 2061 and 3001 movie at some point but it never came to be. I guess Hollywood will go back to them at some point but I have serious worry that they couldn't possibly do Kubrick's film justice.

Similar to the same sort of worry I had with Dune, but Denis Villeneuve is someone who is probably pretty trustworthy.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah it's perhaps not as obvious that the books would go in this direction, but if you're familiar with Arthur C. Clarke's work it's not surprising. The first film is as much of an art film as it is science fiction film, maybe even more. Of course, the ending of the movie sort of alludes to some of the stuff in later books but it's not the easiest thing to interpret.

I think Tom Hanks was attached to them doing a 2061 and 3001 movie at some point but it never came to be. I guess Hollywood will go back to them at some point but I have serious worry that they couldn't possibly do Kubrick's film justice.

Similar to the same sort of worry I had with Dune, but Denis Villeneuve is someone who is probably pretty trustworthy.

Never read any books on "Dune" nor have I seen the film(s). I did recently find out about Villeneuve directing a new film scheduled for release this December, just curious if, I should take interest in this series or not. Any thoughts?.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Never read any books on "Dune" nor have I seen the film(s). I did recently find out about Villeneuve directing a new film scheduled for release this December, just curious if, I should take interest in this series or not. Any thoughts?.
That would depend on your penchant for SciFi or interest in Villeneuve's work. If either of those is a yes, then yeah, for sure. Lynch's Dune wasn't really faithful to the books but I still enjoy them for what they are. Even though he sort of missed like the main underlying message... lmao

To me, Dune is one of those progenitor SciFi series. Stuff like Star Wars likely wouldn't exist if it didn't. I mean, some even suggest that Lucas essentially plagiarized Dune on more than one occassion.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,165
Reaction score
4,676
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki
Finally saw James Cameron's live action rendition of Battle Angel Alita.

Better than I expected. Almost all anime live action adaptations I've seen whether it was Death Note, Kenshin or another title has been good.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Better than I expected. Almost all anime live action adaptations I've seen whether it was Death Note, Kenshin or another title has been good.
The Japanese live-actions, I presume? Because otherwise you're the first first-hand encounter I've had with someone who likes the dreadful Netflix version...
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@xi0 I think, I'll take interest in reading the books. Sounds interesting and so far, from what I've seen from the upcoming film, looks promising.

@Sanity Check & @Organizized I really enjoyed "Alita - Battle Angel" as well and I think, Rodriguez and Cameron did the best adapted film based on a manga work ever imo. I really hope, Disney considers sequels, I really looking forward to them expanding the franchise further. Here's hoping.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,165
Reaction score
4,676
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki
The Japanese live-actions, I presume? Because otherwise you're the first first-hand encounter I've had with someone who likes the dreadful Netflix version...

I don't bother with netflix originals.

Even without them banning Cory Feldman's upcoming documentary on hollywood pedophiles.


@xi0 I think, I'll take interest in reading the books. Sounds interesting and so far, from what I've seen from the upcoming film, looks promising.

@Sanity Check & @Organizized I really enjoyed "Alita - Battle Angel" as well and I think, Rodriguez and Cameron did the best adapted film based on a manga work ever imo. I really hope, Disney considers sequels, I really looking forward to them expanding the franchise further. Here's hoping.

AFAIK Battle Angel Alita didn't do well in the US.

Its foreign box office numbers in asia however were very good which could open the door to a sequel.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't bother with netflix originals.

Even without them banning Cory Feldman's upcoming documentary on hollywood pedophiles.





AFAIK Battle Angel Alita didn't do well in the US.

Its foreign box office numbers in asia however were very good which could open the door to a sequel.

Yeah, that's understandable considering that Alita was pushed back twice in 2018, plus it's new and unfamiliar to the U.S. audiences who either aren't familiar with the manga or anime. The story is really good, though. If not more sequels than let's push for a Disney+ series, since streaming shows seem to work better as far as brand new ideas go.

p.s., the new Boku No Hero Academia - Heroes Rising sequel is actually being released in my area with Japanese audio and eng subs. Very happy about this. :super
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
The Invisible Man: don't know if anyone else has seen this yet, but I'll refrain from mentioning spoilers.

Overall, it's enjoyable and well-directed, although I think the first part of the film is definitely the most intense, suspenseful and somewhat terrifying. After a certain point it doesn't exactly become predictable, but it turns into something else.

Also, judging by the critics, reviews, and overall reception of the film, I was expecting something a little more original with more twists and turns and the like, and it wasn't exactly like that.

As a matter of fact, some aspects of the script/plot just don't make any sense if you start thinking too much about it. Regardless, if you just enjoy it in the momment, I think you can have a good time.

Really liked the camera-work in this one, panning to empty shots which make you wonder whether there's someone there or not. So simple, but really effective.

:cookiehand

The Wild Goose Lake: finally got to see this one, and really liked it. I think it's a decent mix of arthouse, kinda-slow-but-not-really cinema and engaging action sequences (which I really wasn't expecting).

It's a neo-noir kinda film, if you will, about this guy from a gang that is trying to run away from both police and other members after a bounty is placed on his head.

It's somewhat meditative for sure, but it's not on the same level of Bi Gan's films (Kaili Blues, Long Day's Journey Into Night) or Apichatpong's, it's definitely much more dynamic, engaging, and easy to follow.

The cinematography is really excellent as well, as well the choice in the composition and framing of some of the shots. So yeah, if this is up your alley, I definitely recommend checking it out.

In case anyone wants to see the trailer, I recommend watching this one.

There's a shorter 1min teaser, but I feel that one is a bit more spoilery, even though it doesn't really matter that much.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sonic the Hedgehog - 8 / 10 :super

Honestly have to say, I enjoyed this film more than expected. I don't if it's because I went to see this with my little cousins, but it's definitely reminds me of when I was kid and got to see movies based on video games (Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) and this is more than likely the best video game adaptation brought to film in a long time since the first "Resident Evil". Pure entertainment, the way Sonic is made visually is straight out of the Sega and Jim Carrey as Robotnik killed. There obviously setting up sequels, which I am looking forward to in a way. Recommend it for anybody who grew up playing the video games, watching the cartoons and just all out Sonic fans.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Returning back the subject of Dune - someone just did an incredible favor to the world and uploaded huge amount of production art and plans of Jodorowsky's Dune (1975). The greatest film that was never made.


Years before Star Wars a crazy visionary called Jodorowsky started the production on what was supposed become the biggest film ever made, adaptation of sci-fi classic. Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, David Carradine and Salvador Dali acting. Pink Floyd composing. Moebius and HR Giger art designing. Cast and crew that would make any film geek drool. But couldn't deliver. They were bit too early I think for the world.

Goddamn that stuff looks incredible.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,165
Reaction score
4,676
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki
Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse(2018)

Good watch. 2 thumbs up.

Only thing I didn't like. They made one white main character a fat slob to make the minority report leading man look better. The same way the young Han Solo movie pushed Lando down with his droid romance. To raise the white leading man up. Not a fan of short changing select ethnicities to make other ethnicities look brighter in the limelight.

The Predator(2018)

Goofy. More like a parody/satire piece. I enjoyed it though. Two thumbs up.
 
Top