Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,247
Reaction score
33,631
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Pardon me for asking, but why do you dislike it? I'm just curious.
Because it takes the whole zip out of love in story form. I can only see it being done for fanservice, which is fine, I just won't be in that particular target group.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Pardon me for asking, but why do you dislike it? I'm just curious.
Not him but I also dont find the alternative endings as a good choice, narrative wise. It just feels like a cheap way to end your story that you have been developing for a long time and instead of sticking with a "winner", he decides to please the awful fans that have been against its narrative decisions the last couple of months. (Its a feeling I got and not how it actually could have been).

I dont like who "won" in Nisekoi but atleast there it felt like the author actually went through with how he wanted to end the story and I respect that even if I dont find the "winner" good. We have to wait how this next chapters will be but alternative endings are something that sound like just something take out of nowhere.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You guys thinking that Tsutsui and specially Shonen Jump would just decide few weeks ago to continue a series because some twitter complains when the end of a series is planned months before the actual end :eyeroll

Is just better to accept that Uruka was never actually "the winner" but the first of the 5 routes, we just weren't aware about it until now...
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I’ve grown to like the idea of how We Never Learn is ending.

Personally to me the whole series has always felt like a slice of life with elements of romcom/harem.
Obviously the end goal of the series is for him to date someone, but I never saw it as a straight up romance series. So I can dig picking the girl I want to win
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia

Letter regarding Jump's other events.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Jump and Tsutsui were very smart with the way they did this, because if they announced this before, no one would really care about the whole winning thing, readers would be just "yeah yeah Uruka route, get over with it and show me the other girls..." but letting readers think that this was the end made everybody talk about it and now with the reveal, talkiing even more and being curious about the other routes kkkk
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,247
Reaction score
33,631
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Jump and Tsutsui were very smart with the way they did this, because if they announced this before, no one would really care about the whole winning thing, readers would be just "yeah yeah Uruka route, get over with it and show me the other girls..." but letting readers think that this was the end made everybody talk about it and now with the reveal, talkiing even more and being curious about the other routes kkkk
It might be a way to salvage a series that never hit many heights, give fans what they want, from a business perspective.

As a romance and story it's a major fail and insult to me (as a certain type of reader).
 

Krono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
855
Reaction score
692
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont like who "won" in Nisekoi but atleast there it felt like the author actually went through with how he wanted to end the story and I respect that even if I dont find the "winner" good. We have to wait how this next chapters will be but alternative endings are something that sound like just something take out of nowhere.
I'm skeptical about how well his alternative endings will play out in practice, but I highly doubt that this isn't something he wanted to do. He's likely had the idea in mind at least since the fireworks girl or that plot element would have long since been expanded upon. Whether his goal is to provide a solid ending for every girl, or just give a consolation prize to people who didn't favor his chosen winner remains to be seen. Either way he's clearly told the story he wanted to tell for the girl he wanted to tell it for. Now he wishes to spend some time telling some alternate ways he could have gone, in a similar vein to Seo Kouji's fantasy chapters.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
I absolutely hate this pick-a-path BS in WNL.

And if it delays the need for a new rom series the fail compounds...
I on the other hand, absolutely love it, (end of my response to you)

expansion, since people are talking about this.

We don't know what tsutsui original plan was (doubt it ever included sensei and asumi , but who knows?) he might have been thinking of doing multiple endings from the start or he had come to a conclusion somewhere during serialization to this.

I always wonder why some (not all) harem does this, I get sticking to 1 end if that is what actually what was initially planned and the story have been building up towards or even that what it eventually steered into (because plans and not being to predict the future as such, etc) ,

one can argue that being too insistent of sticking to 1 end from the start can harm it(since arc, characters development, bla bla bla)

I don't play VN (other than ace attorney) but I do play some games with multiple endings, and I usually enjoys seeing how each end plays out, some are well developed, and others, not so much. Just getting to see how the creator envisioned the story in each scenario in intriguing to me. And I honestly can't understand why manga ana anime cannot do the same? (yes we have some ovas and omake).

and don't say "then just play a VN", my answer will be... NO. why can't a manga experiment with this? why can't a creator (assuming he always wanted this) tell everything he wanted, we sometimes heard stories of authors saying they should have done so and so, so if someone wanted to do it in a reasonable way, why shouldn't it?

I always wanted multiple ending in some manga, especially harem (and not like a single chapter for the lol, but like a whole volume), it will be a logistic hurdle (do they kept the prints or cut it?, should it be released at the same time or separate?) I want to know the what if (some are reasonable, some are not) side note: TWOGK should be the one that took this option first, but... eh

You can say that this method will make the ending less meaningful, and I would agree with you, for some series, but for a harem, and especially for WNL, that is not really a deal(opinionated , story wise not really decisive on who should be the end girl)

my point is intent, does tsutsui just want to tell a story? did he just want a happy ending for all the girls? was it because external pressure,? is this just a gimmick? you can't really say until he told us, and even then should we believe him? ( A gimmick is a gimmick no matter what the intent is though, IMO)
I like to think he have a story to tell for each and that is it.

Ideally I want a volume each, even more ideal if they run at the same time but that is an even bigger logistic nightmare, and I don't want tsutsui to overwork too much
 
Last edited:

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,247
Reaction score
33,631
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Fair post, maybe they should market these series as alternate ending harems then... leave the traditional (better :hmph ) classical romance intact.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Fair post, maybe they should market these series as alternate ending harems then... leave the traditional (better :hmph ) classical romance intact.
"Classical romance"?

How old are you? Because that's a pretty absurd thing to say in any context.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,247
Reaction score
33,631
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
"Classical romance"?

How old are you? Because that's a pretty absurd thing to say in any context.
Where does this come from? Please make some kind of relative point when discussing a topic. My age has nothing to do with this thread.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
The problem is the author would have the added burden of creating a game complex and coherent enough that it could work on the same level as an actual sport, because if it's not some REALLY well thought out shit, the cracks are going to start appearing almost instantly.

On paper it could work and be some really cool stuff (akin to how YGO was I suppose), but yeah, it's pretty hard.
Or they could base it upon an established game, like what dancing midget mangaka is doing with magic the gathering.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Where does this come from? Please make some kind of relative point when discussing a topic. My age has nothing to do with this thread.
I'm saying that you're talking in a weirdly old-fashioned manner. Seriously, I can understand "Multiple endings devalues the series overall", but the way you're describing it makes you look like a puritan.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Eh I dunno, continously changing games doesn't sound like a good idea at all especially if you're going for a spokon-like structure.
Haven't actually read it but I know 1,2 no Sanshiro did this
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The only issue there is that, aside from Konami, I haven't heard much rambling about corrupt practices in the JP game industry.
Lol, you don't even need to dig deep to know about freaking Nintendo's dirty laundry.
They fucking lobbied to ban console game cafe/bar.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,247
Reaction score
33,631
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I'm saying that you're talking in a weirdly old-fashioned manner. Seriously, I can understand "Multiple endings devalues the series overall", but the way you're describing it makes you look like a puritan.
Eh, I'm not being extreme about it at all, in my view.

I'm okay with harems like this in WSJ but I will be mindful of them moving fwd.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Fair post, maybe they should market these series as alternate ending harems then... leave the traditional (better :hmph ) classical romance intact.
Lmao, this must be the snobbiest reply I have ever read in this forum, a forum which already full of snob.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top