Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,472
Reaction score
39,394
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
What's going on with M+ recently? Geez.
Anyways, Chainsaw was fucking hype this week.

I'm looking foward to this next fight in Jujutsu, Nobara finally gets her due this arc.

Act-Age was amazing

WNL was good. They all looked so cute in that color spread.especially Rizu Now let's see those other routes.

Mitama was hilarious, but reading the chapter was somewhat bittersweet due to all those...sales.

Solid Agravity this week. More male fanservice too.

UxU is cemented as my favorite of this new batch.

MASHLE was fun. I guess that's my take on the series so far.

GotW is....rather mediocre. I'll stick around until chapter 10 to see if it could get better.

I'm looking foward to the next Yuuna. That spread looks amazing.

Anyways... That Jigokuraku....
SHE'S BAAAACK?
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????
 
Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,439
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Pretty good issue this week. Yozakura and Mitama still doing good in my book, Agravity was fun but I hope we get a chapter more focused on just the main four again next week. Undead Unluck was great this week, fully sold on this series now. The rest were just kinda there, not much to even talk about.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Kimetsu: Another chapter, another slow move to a timelimit of 35 minutes. If this keeps slowing down, then the next chapter gonna be about 30 seconds and ends at 34:30. XD
? the timer was 25mins this week though not 35

Only got a chance to read a bunch of them because mangaplus has been bothering me, loved JJK/CSM, KnY's was decent, enjoyed Mitama's (but kind of a bittersweet feeling cause I expect it to be axed at this point, so sad about this, I really thought it would live)

Also I agree with your take on OP, goddamn it it's been 5 months in a flashback just make it stop...I thought it said it was over last chapter but got bamboozled I suppose
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
? the timer was 25mins this week though not 35

Only got a chance to read a bunch of them because mangaplus has been bothering me, loved JJK/CSM, KnY's was decent, enjoyed Mitama's (but kind of a bittersweet feeling cause I expect it to be axed at this point, so sad about this, I really thought it would live)

Also I agree with your take on OP, goddamn it it's been 5 months in a flashback just make it stop...I thought it said it was over last chapter but got bamboozled I suppose
This arc on OP is getting on the level of Dressrosa where It was the first time I dropped OP in my life with how dragged that shit was.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
as someone pointed out Yuuna started before Nisekoi ended (wasn't there a failed singing rom-com or something that started shortly before Viz started translating everything too?) so it is possible to start new rom-coms now.
To be fair, Yuuna’s more of an ecchi harem type thing. It's mor of a spititual successor to To-Love Ru.

to think, OP has a flashback longer than a lot of cancelled series.
Holy fucking shit, that really puts things int perspective of how long flashbacks can get.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Huh. No wonder the connection messed up while I was reading.
Yeah, connection is always bad the first couple hours when the new chapters are out. Probably because of the onslaught of readers who waited all week for it.

I know that no one here considers yozakura Family as a romcom, but compared to the other manga from jump.
Currently, he only loses to We never learn in the romance part.
But he has a lot more romance than the other jump manga.
It has romance, it's just that the romance is basically "already done" with that marriage. And the com is more miss than hit for me personally. But with WNL and Yuuna ending this year, WSJ needs new romcoms badly. Or heck give me a solid rom battle manga, like Romeo and Juliet setting but with superpowers, two families and their underlings battling it out while their heirs love each other secretly, that kinda stuff always sells!

Yeah, also for me. Most of the pics won't load.
Same, in english some pages were missing, so I checked the spanish version just to see that the pages got mixed up for whatever reason.

Undead Unluck is giving me HxH vibes
Probably because of the whole "kill to advance" thing. I liked how death actually happened in HxH and had consequences. When somebody died you knew a friend or family member of someone died because you got shown their reactions. And the dead stayed dead, no will nilly coming back to life due some new magical spell or whatever. So when Gon didn't want to kill but had to end up killing someone it had impact on the reader because Gon couldn't undo what he did.
In UxU Izumo and Andy were the ones having the connection/relationship with Gina AND they were the ones who killed her AND they were the ones who mourned her, each their own way. So this 3-way is what leaves both a sweet, a bitter and a sad taste to the reader. And that mix of tastes is good, it is better than an insane amount of sugar or drinking a whole bottle of vinegar or stuff like that. It's the right mix that counts. Seeing that Izumo and Andy cared about Gina, despite Gina trying to capture Andy and to kill Izumo to live another day in safety and freedom, with Izumo crying over Gina dying and Andy giving her the kiss she so desired at the end of her life-span - that was very sweet. Listening to Gina talking how she couldn't change despite accepting that change itself is bad shows her regret for her life she has lived in stagnation and all she was so proud of her, her eternal youth, cracked and wrinkled away before her eyes while she cherished the thought of Izumo that the lonely Moon could have some sparkles as friends in the wide black sky - that was a bit bitter. Watching Andy ignoring her request to be left alone and die without them seeing her real old face, lifting her up for a kiss, telling her those few wrinkles cannot hide the beauty he saw in her and her clinging to desperately to his neck for that kiss before she died - that was quite sad.

So yeah, for that few chapters Gina was in, she was able to leave a good emotional impact, both to the main characters (Izumo still has her blaster for example) and to the readers. And that emotional impact was only able because it mixed those many different emotions so well and build them up in the previous chapters.

And HxH did similar things like with the Ant king for example. So I assume that is what might be where you are getting your vibe, Shinuki.

This arc on OP is getting on the level of Dressrosa where It was the first time I dropped OP in my life with how dragged that shit was.
I think this was the last flashback chapter. Like what else are they gonna flashback to next week? There should be nothing left.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Big Project ??? hmmm....
Okay, so how many fucking popularity polls have been announced? xD Cause I feel like there's been a whole lot. Chainsaw Man, Spy x Family, Act-Age, Haikyuu. I think I'm missing one or two.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder how long it'll be until the next batch of new series.

Often they have one about this long after the last batch and Samurai 8 feels like it's speeding to the finale, but, with 7 new series still trying to prove themselves, I feel like they might let them have the spotlight a little longer before distracting the readers with a bunch of new stuff, since they're desperate for a proper new hit. Wait for Undead's first volume to be out at least since it seems to be the most promising.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Okay, so how many fucking popularity polls have been announced? xD Cause I feel like there's been a whole lot. Chainsaw Man, Spy x Family, Act-Age, Haikyuu. I think I'm missing one or two.
Kimetsu and BC
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I wonder how long it'll be until the next batch of new series.

Often they have one about this long after the last batch and Samurai 8 feels like it's speeding to the finale, but, with 7 new series still trying to prove themselves, I feel like they might let them have the spotlight a little longer before distracting the readers with a bunch of new stuff, since they're desperate for a proper new hit. Wait for Undead's first volume to be out at least since it seems to be the most promising.
My first thought was really soon, but now I'm feeling less certain. If Zipman doesn't end in a couple issues, it'll end up lasting for an additional volume's worth of chapters. I keep hearing Samurai 8 seems to be approaching a conclusion, but who knows with that one. None of the other 5 new series give off the wrapping things up vibe either. We Never Learn has at least 1 more volume worth of content, and Yuuna seems like there's still more plot and PLOT left to be discovered
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Agravity Boys was hilarious this week as well. This new dynamic is great.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Glad to see I wasn't the only one with server troubles, I had to spend at least 30 minutes waiting for it to start working again. I think it's a little hasty to instantly say "Tsutsui is going to have nine chapters each for all the other girls". We simply have no evidence to confirm that or no.

Goddamn, One Piece is tiring. I'm getting really sick of what Oda is doing with Wano now, if he wanted to do a samurai manga, do a flipping samurai manga. And the paneling is atrocious.

Every Mitama chapter makes me sad knowing the series inevitable cancelation.

UxU chapter was really good.

Agravity was...eh? If it floats some boats, I guess >>

Samurai 8 couldn't end fast enough at this point.
 

Krono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
855
Reaction score
692
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder how long it'll be until the next batch of new series.

Often they have one about this long after the last batch and Samurai 8 feels like it's speeding to the finale, but, with 7 new series still trying to prove themselves, I feel like they might let them have the spotlight a little longer before distracting the readers with a bunch of new stuff, since they're desperate for a proper new hit. Wait for Undead's first volume to be out at least since it seems to be the most promising.
It'll be the double issue that should be issue #22-23 at the soonest. That's when they start having a wave of series likely to end reaching a volume conclusion, which would be an opportune point for a series to end. Depending on how many series they want to start, and which series they want to end, it could start a few issues later than that. Either way, they'll certainly have started the next round of series by issue #30, if they haven't already finished it by that point.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Which series does exposition better?

One Piece or Hunter x Hunter?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top