Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,457
Reaction score
39,356
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Wow, the gag series really didn't work for me this week.

- Agravity Boys is doing the "Let's keep dragging out this simple misunderstanding for several weeks" thing, which I hate.
- Yozakura and Mitama are going the "haha, look at this person's suffering, so funny" route, which I hate even more.
- Mashle was.. not bothering me, but it wasn't particularly funny either. The writer needs to put in more actual jokes instead of just Mash acting like a fish out of water.

Zipman is a goner and everybody knows it. I just hope we'll be getting a somewhat satisfying reunion between the two bro's at the end.

GotW won't survive either, I'm pretty sure. M+ comments (not representative for the entire population, I know, but still 130 people) go from hopefully positive after the first chapter to mostly negative/desinterested for the last two. The 'new development' wasn't exiting in the least... I'm not even hoping for anything on this one because I don't care about any of the characters.




Not really a convincing source. Though this S8 chapter did feel a bit more end-ish than the previous one.




... Y'know, that would actually work as a twist for me.




MHA
maybe Act-Age




Are you talking about her development in the first arc? Because I didn't see much change after that.
Colleague, GoTW won extra pages like UxU and Agravity boys. And for those last two, everyone was very excited and now that the guardian is going to have extra pages, do people think that doesn't mean anything?
look Mashle was the only one of the 3 newbies who didn't receive extra pages.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
1,214
Country
United Nations
Colleague, GoTW won extra pages like UxU and Agravity boys. And for those last two, everyone was very excited and now that the guardian is going to have extra pages, do people think that doesn't mean anything?
... Yes?

Like I said, the first chapter was well received, so they could be giving it colour pages because of that.

But that doesn't mean the series will survive, not when most of the interest is gone by chapter 5.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
... Yes?

Like I said, the first chapter was well received, so they could be giving it colour pages because of that.

But that doesn't mean the series will survive, not when most of the interest is gone by chapter 5.
There is no way to say that. They said that about Yozakura and he had a recovery.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
1,214
Country
United Nations
There is no way to say that. They said that about Yozakura and he had a recovery.
Isn't Yozakura still in the danger zone? What do you base this recovery on?

And "I'm pretty sure" means that this is my personal belief on the matter (GotW probably getting axed). I never said it was an indisputable fact, so no need to get offended.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Isn't Yozakura still in the danger zone? What do you base this recovery on?

And "I'm pretty sure" means that this is my personal belief on the matter (GotW probably getting axed). I never said it was an indisputable fact, so no need to get offended.
It's getting its third CP only three chapters after the last one, and Vol 1 sold out at stores and needed reprints. That's a decent argument.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Isn't Yozakura still in the danger zone? What do you base this recovery on?

And "I'm pretty sure" means that this is my personal belief on the matter (GotW probably getting axed). I never said it was an indisputable fact, so no need to get offended.
Rain Specter said, yozakura getting its third CP only three chapters after the last one, and Vol 1 sold out at stores and needed reprints. It is already an improvement.
about Guardian he also received extra pages as well as Undead unluck and Agravity boys, regardless of the reason he led to this, I have doubts as to whether he had such a bad reception that you sell so much.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
It's getting its third CP only three chapters after the last one, and Vol 1 sold out at stores and needed reprints. That's a decent argument.
Just because it is getting a push it doesn't mean it's safe.
And while it did need reprints, Shueisha's expectation was that it would sell like shit.

It's not going to get axed next batch most likely, but this notion that it's safe because it sold like 11k on week 1 is ridicolous. Even Kimetsu's volume 1 sold more than that.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Just because it is getting a push it doesn't mean it's safe.
And while it did need reprints, Shueisha's expectation was that it would sell like shit.

It's not going to get axed next batch most likely, but this notion that it's safe because it sold like 11k on week 1 is ridicolous. Even Kimetsu's volume 1 sold more than that.
Thing is, with WSJ current situation 11k week 1 pretty much does mean it's safe for the time being. It's the best selling series not by an established author since, what, Jujutsu Kaisen? About 2 years? and is the 3rd top seller of 2019 after Chainsawman (which actually started in 2018) and Samurai 8 (whose sales were a massive disappointing after how much promotion it got).

They might as well keep it around and try to help it grow, at least until they get something new that's bigger.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Just because it is getting a push it doesn't mean it's safe.
And while it did need reprints, Shueisha's expectation was that it would sell like shit.

It's not going to get axed next batch most likely, but this notion that it's safe because it sold like 11k on week 1 is ridicolous. Even Kimetsu's volume 1 sold more than that.
Oh, absolutely agree there. Just pointing out that, insofar as series go, it isn't in the red.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
If Undead, Mashle, Agravity Boys, or something all perform better than Yozakura, or if sales drop, that'll put it in danger, but for the moment they'll keep trying to best to solidify it as a hit.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Yo wtf I haven't seen anyone talk about the latest WNL chapter. I just read it and that ending has me screaming. What a twist. Has that ever been done in this magazine before? Or any manga tbh...
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Yo wtf I haven't seen anyone talk about the latest WNL chapter. I just read it and that ending has me screaming. What a twist. Has that ever been done in this magazine before? Or any manga tbh...
We’ve already had a couple of extensive conversations about that twist ever since it was leaked. Some are all for it, others think it really cheapens everything. Personally, I’m very interested in how these stories will play out, especially Fumino’s, though the only reason I think a very big chunk of people are okay with this is because they get a Sensei ending out of it, which is all people really wanted from this manga.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
So right now in the magazine, we have Miitama, Mashle, Aggravity Boys and maybe Undead x Unluck as gag manga, right?? Are these all gag/comedy manga? I'm in the mood to read some gag mangal lol so which would you recommend? It doesn't even need to be from the current lineup, also don't recommend Gintama as I'm already planning on watching it some time in the near future :)

Edit: also any gag manga that is in mangaplus would work for me too even if not from WSJ.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
I'd say all four of those can be called gag manga except for Undead x Unluck, which is definitely more like an action comedy. I'd recommend all of them except for Mashle, though many in this thread would tell you to read it so you might as well since there isn't even that much of it yet anyway.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
So right now in the magazine, we have Miitama, Mashle, Aggravity Boys and maybe Undead x Unluck as gag manga, right?? Are these all gag/comedy manga? I'm in the mood to read some gag mangal lol so which would you recommend? It doesn't even need to be from the current lineup, also don't recommend Gintama as I'm already planning on watching it some time in the near future :)

Edit: also any gag manga that is in mangaplus would work for me too even if not from WSJ.
Undead is a battle shounen but the other 3 are pure gag manga. They're all fun enough reads, though personally I think Agravity Boys is already running out of jokes.

Mitama's about a girl who has tons of pretty passive/not dangerous ghosts and a loser exorcist following her, it has some great chapters, some pretty weak ones
Mashle is One Punch Man/Mob Psycho 100 but harry potter
Agravity Boys is like Gintama/Sket Dance-style of comedy but more pervy and the main gag is that they're stuck on a planet with no girls
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Thanks guys :D Based on Thehoennhippo's recommendations I should read everything but Mashle, but reading your synopsis tirakai I think I'd like Mashle over the others haha, I guess I'm just gonna read their first chapters and see which I like best.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seems sensible enough for a JJK cover for its 100th chap no?
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Thanks guys :D Based on Thehoennhippo's recommendations I should read everything but Mashle, but reading your synopsis tirakai I think I'd like Mashle over the others haha, I guess I'm just gonna read their first chapters and see which I like best.
Try to stick with Mitama for a while. Judging that series by it's first chapter isn't really fair considering that the series gets better once we get past the first 2 or 3 chapters.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 3/8

#1 My Hero Academia 26
#2 The Promised Neverland 18
#3 Haikyuu!! 42
#9 Jujutsu Kaisen 10
#23 Chainsaw Man 6
#39 Dr. Stone reboot: Byakuya
#95 Samurai 8: Hachimaruden 4
#487 Mitama Security 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top