Moderator Notice: Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.
These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei
Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi
GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
Hard to believe I've read comments indicating that a series is failing because the author didnt try hard enough to make it enjoyable. Does anyone actually believe such a thing?
Although I agree with the practice, I don’t think it’s too far fetched to assume that a new editor would be hesitant to say much to someone who is one of the most successful manga artist of all time.
Also, he wants to work on the manga on the same playing-field as his editor, so he asked me not to call him Oda-sensei, but instead Oda-san. And Oda-san also calls me, a 26-year-old newbie editor, “Sugita-san”. [He] also asks me to honestly tell him what I think.
Hard to believe I've read comments indicating that a series is failing because the author didnt try hard enough to make it enjoyable. Does anyone actually believe such a thing?
It's true though, Kishimoto openly didn't try very hard to make it fun to read in the first two volumes. He knew it wasn't very good but said he hoped his fans would stick with it anyway until he started actually trying.
It's true though, Kishimoto openly didn't try very hard to make it fun to read in the first two volumes. He knew it wasn't very good but said he hoped his fans would stick with it anyway until he started actually trying.
Experiencing difficulty with delivering exposition does not equate to not caring if the series is good. Just as saying "I know this is confusing, but it pays off later" is not the same as saying "I don't care if you like this." From Kishimoto's words, he wanted to improve as a writer and make Samurai 8 a success but did struggle with communicating the world building and making the setting as easy to understand as possible.
Experiencing difficulty with delivering exposition does not equate to not caring if the series is good. Just as saying "I know this is confusing, but it pays off later" is not the same as saying "I don't care if you like this." From Kishimoto's words, he wanted to improve as a writer and make Samurai 8 a success but did struggle with communicating the world building and making the setting as easy to understand as possible.
"It'll start getting good in 4 months, I promise" simply isn't good enough for a magazine that sometimes cancels stuff after only 3 months. It wouldn't work for a newbie, and especially isn't great for one of the most successful mangaka in the world who should know how to capture people's attention.
As it is, the first two volumes weren't very good and he knew they weren't very good. He didn't put enough effort into making Samurai 8 fun to read.
It's a really shitty thing to do when someone keeps trying to spin the author's words to make it look like "he didn't worked hard or even tried" just because you don't like the series, as if he is someone lazy or arrogant that thought people would just eat whatever he throws at them, this reminds me of many haters at the time saying that Kubo just didn't cared anymore about Bleach towards the end and this is why it ended like that when the guy was literally getting sick from working hard.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Btw, both polls are getting locked in 1/2 hours, so if you didn't voted yet or forgot to, do it HERE
It's a really shitty thing to do when someone keeps trying to spin the author's words to make it look like "he didn't worked hard or even tried" just because you don't like the series, as if he is someone lazy or arrogant that thought people would just eat whatever he throws at them, this reminds me of many haters at the time saying that Kubo just didn't cared anymore about Bleach towards the end and this is why it ended like that when the guy was literally getting sick from working hard.
I think it's a case of us not being considerate. We can acknowledge that Kishimoto did put a lot of effort into S8 while at the same time saying he made a fatal mistake in assuming his name value would make people stick through exposition dumps even he admitted would be tough to get through.
If Samurai 8 was published exactly as is by pretty much any other mangaka I don't think it's a stretch to say it would have been long axed by now (and it wouldn't have even been a question from the start). Can anyone think of any other Jump series where the author tried to persuade people to continue reading because it would get better that lasted long enough to "get better"? I don't think anything is really being twisted here.
I think it's a case of us not being considerate. We can acknowledge that Kishimoto did put a lot of effort into S8 while at the same time saying he made a fatal mistake in assuming his name value would make people stick through exposition dumps even he admitted would be tough to get through.
It's not that he didn't work hard, it's clear Kishi put tons of effort into designing the samurai system and backstory and lore, and had big ideas for much later on. The problem is he didn't put much effort into making it fun to read about this big in-depth power system being established and even admitted he knew it wouldn't be a great read.
You can't just make a huge world or power system and assume people will read past a clumsy beginning you just lumped a bunch of exposition into to get it out of the way early, purely because of the big name behind it.
It's not enough to merely have great potential, everything in wsj has potential (they wouldn't run a series if they felt it didn't), what's important is showing that you can live up to that potential early on and won't just keep people waiting for a potential quality it might never actually get to.
I don't know how much effort Kishimoto put into the series and I'm not going to make assumptions, but S8 undeniably reads like a series by a complete newbie that makes mistakes that you simply would not expect an author with a 15-year long serialization on his back to make.
I mean, every single mangaka that is published, specially in a Magazine like Jump, has to put a lot of effort in... basically everything regarding the series. It's definitely wrong to call them lazy or similar and I wish people didn't do it when criticizing a series, but there are criticisms that are harsh but still fair regarding the quality of the work.
How much do you think will the corona situation affect the manga industry? I can see less people going to bookstores to buy manga and more weekly breaks for the authors
How much do you think will the corona situation affect the manga industry? I can see less people going to bookstores to buy manga and more weekly breaks for the authors
might get a boost in digital and Amazon (or other online stores) sales. We've had at least 1 series off most weeks for a while so I'm not sure if that would really be impacted. Said mangaka would also probably need to actually catch it to get a break. If they're just quarantined at home might as well keep working (I guess the few with outside studios would have to go on break though)
Kishimoto: ....I have to win the support of Jump's readers, and I'd like to let them know that I'll be working to improve the first chapter right up to the last minute, so please look forward to it.
Where are you getting that Kishi didn't care to make the series engaging?
Truly, I get not enjoying a piece of art, but saying that you didnt enjoy the story because the author didn't care enough to make it enjoyable is....absurd in this situation.
Really, what led you to that conclusion? You're not the first with the opinion and I'm legitimately curious as to how you formed it.
Expect more, as in expect him to be a more skilled writer? His skill isn't relevant to what I'm commenting on.
It's one thing to say "this story is boring and was poorly executed."
It's something else entirely to say "this story is boring and was poorly executed because the writer didnt care to make it better."
I'm sure that writers do phone in stories of course but unless the writer actually confirms they didnt care or tried to botch the story for whatever reason, we shouldnt just assume it.
Kishimoto has only talked about spending time developing the story, figuring out how to communicate the plot, and hoping its well received. Why are folks saying that he's an arrogant liar just because his series isnt selling well? If it was a smash, would he still be seen as lazy and uncaring?
People are saying he was too big for editorial input but isnt Kishimoto the guy who said "yeah, my first editor was great here's all the weird stuff he had me change about Naruto?"
How much do you think will the corona situation affect the manga industry? I can see less people going to bookstores to buy manga and more weekly breaks for the authors
How much do you think will the corona situation affect the manga industry? I can see less people going to bookstores to buy manga and more weekly breaks for the authors
The Mangaka and his assistants can all work from home, so I dont see much of a problem there. Physical sales might take a hit but digital exists so its fine.
When you think about, being a author is like the perfect work for this current situation, they just work at home or in a close studio all day with few people in the home/room, the anime industry is the one already suffering with delays and etc.
When you think about, being a author is like the perfect work for this current situation, they just work at home or in a close studio all day with few people in the home/room, the anime industry is the one already suffering with delays and etc.
When you think about, being a author is like the perfect work for this current situation, they just work at home or in a close studio all day with few people in the home/room, the anime industry is the one already suffering with delays and etc.
I don't think so, since there's always people involved.
Unless they start doing differently because of COV, I don't think assistants sleeping at the workplace is a recurring thing, so they probably catch trains and attend to crowded spaces and can carry the virus inside the closed studio where they share work material, what is a big no-no.
But compared to anime industry, I agree with you the manga industry probably will do better.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.