Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,504
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,504
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What Stivie is probably trying to say is that the sausage fest and "yaoi bait" in Agravity Boys is maybe turning off part of the magazine readers aka male teens and young adults
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
What Stivie is probably trying to say is that the sausage fest and "yaoi bait" in Agravity Boys is maybe turning off part of the magazine readers aka male teens and young adults
I dunno. I'm a guy, but I feel like a lot of the jokes in Agravity are written with a male audience in mind, at least the ones of the guys acting like horny idiots.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm pretty curious how all this new stuff will sell, personally I find everything except Witch better than everything cancelled from last year, though some feel like a decent quality probable flop rather than a possible hit.

Agravity Boys in particular feels like it could have been great but so far has wasted its new plots and characters by focusing only on how much everyone wants a girl. If that's planned to be a running gag the whole time with them never actually meeting a girl it's going to wear out quickly.

I dunno. I'm a guy, but I feel like a lot of the jokes in Agravity are written with a male audience in mind, at least the ones of the guys acting like horny idiots.
Yeah this makes it feel a bit odd, like it's clearly going for the fujoshi appeal with its character designs but their personalities and the comedy feels very heavily meant for boys. I suppose it's going for both but in an awkward way?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,504
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Btw what i said is restricted for the magazine, watch the first volume sells very decently, maybe even better than Yozakura ;)
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
If it has uncensored Chris then you bet your ass it will.
Uncensoring Chris would ruin the whole joke though.

Speaking of censors, if Undead Unluck really is a hit and gets an anime eventually, I hope they keep the black bar censor rather than adding mysterious white lights or using the scenery for dynamic censoring. There's more impact to his pure nakedness when he's just standing there right on panel like that (even if it's a bit sleazy).
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Uncensoring Chris would ruin the whole joke though.

Speaking of censors, if Undead Unluck really is a hit and gets an anime eventually, I hope they keep the black bar censor rather than adding mysterious white lights or using the scenery for dynamic censoring. There's more impact to his pure nakedness when he's just standing there right on panel like that (even if it's a bit sleazy).
Eh...it kinda would... But I think promotional texts like that are usually removed for tankobon releases, so either they replace the text with something else or they uncensor it.

The black bar censor... Remidns me of something. did the Bastard!! OVA keep the censor bar from the manga? Can't recall..
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What new poll question would you guys like to see?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Here's my long post responding about Kimetsu No Yaiba cannibalizing sales, I think it's an interesting read regarding economics so if you are interested in economics give it a read.


Before I answer this, I´m gonna clarify some points:

1.-Before I respond, I should say that I didn´t ever bring up One Piece into this argument lol.. So idk why some users have brought it up, but I never did, I still think KnY is over hyped lol..


2.- So.. Maybe I guess I shouldn´t use the word cannibalizing because it sounds like it takes 50% off the sales of manga lol. But cannibalizing sales does happen.
Why do you think movie studios or game studios don´t release movies/games the same week blockbusters like Marvel movies or AAA games get released?
Unless you are a very niche film or game whose audience is still gonna watch your movie you avoid the week like the plague.
Even Marvel spaces their own releases, they try to put their movies at least 4 months apart of each other, maybe to avoid viewers fatigue..

Here´s the definition of Market Cannibalization:
Market Cannibalization happens when the introduction of a new product causes a decrease in the sales of another product within the same company.

Instead of applying this to only Shueisha I´m gonna talk about the entire manga industry.

Anyway, with this in mind it´s just obvious that market cannibalization is a reality of not just the manga industry but every industry.

As I said there's a reason every movie studio spaces their releases and so do video game studios.


3.- Now let´s talk about the concept of Zero sum game which is very important to understand market cannibalization:
In a nutshell zero sum game means that "whenever someone wins something someone losses", it's true for a lot of games.

An example I can make to make this WSJ related is the TOC since it is a pretty clear zero sum game.
Each week the series in WSJ "Fight" for readers' votes, there is a finite number of readers' votes, and they can only vote for their top 3 favorite series (Or to be more precise that chapter week) so in this case 3 series get a vote, the other 15 or so series in the magazine don't. Pretty easy concept to understand. 3 series "win" 15 "lose".

Some economic experts debate that economics isn´t a zero sum game, some say it is.. In my opinion (and a lot of experienced economists) it is, and if it is then any market can be considered a zero sum game.
You can check a reddit thread I read a long time ago regarding this to make your own conclusions.


4.- Sorry @Buranchi , I know this is off-topic, I will try not to bring up this "Cannibalizing sales again".

All that being said, I'm gonna start replying.


First, as I said, I didn´t even bring up One Piece into this, if this was hinted towards me lol.

Second... That statement wouldn´t make sense, so no, I wouldn´t say that.

I wouldn´t say KnY is unworthy of beating One Piece if it was indeed cannibalizing sales, One Piece in its time cannibalized sales too (And still does to a lot of series).




I truly don´t care about the series I was taking about, I was just pointing out the obvious

The one series I care for which you mention is One Piece and I never said anything about OP sales being cannibalized by KnY, in fact I think One Piece has already a super established fanbase, so KnY has very, very, very low chances of cannibalizing its sales, but I simply don´t think that's true for other younger series, lots of people just jump shark to the next popular thing, e.g. let´s suppose they were following MHA, then KnY got popular and now they are reading that, in the other hand OP as I said already has an established ¨peak¨ and sure its sales are still dwindling but I would not say it´s because of KnY mostly because probably people got bored along the way maybe.



If you had concrete data from those exact numbers we could talk about it.. But I don´t think we do.
Still, even if we did, certainly Death Note took sales away from those series, it´s just math.. I´m not saying it was a HUGE cannibalization, but that´s how it goes.


I'm gonna simplify this:

Imagine that back when Death Note (Along with all the other titles you mentioned) was being published there was 80 people in Japan, each with only 400 Yen to spend.. (Which is roughly enough for 1 volumes at the time).

You provided 8 examples of successful titles of the time, OP, HxH, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn, in this hypothetical example every title is selling 10 volumes (So 10 citizens of Japan buy each title).

But then Death Note starts getting serialized! And some people love it and want to buy its first volume... But they only have 400 Yen, so what happens? They will no longer be able to buy the other manga, so let´s say 1 reader of each manga decides to buy Death Note now, every manga has only 9 volumes sold and DN has 8 sales.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but this is how economy works, in a grand scale, obviously there is not 80 people in Japan, and obviously their income is not 400 Yen, but you get the point.

The point being is that whenever there's a finite resource (Be it money or time) and a consumer has to decide on how to spend it the product that is bought "gains" a sale and the product that doesn't get bought "lost" a sale.

Also, as I said, it's not like KnY is totally taking away all the sales from other titles, other factors (covid19, readers getting bored, readers dying... too many factors to count) are also contributing to it obviously.

I understand your arguments too guys, you are probably thinking that instead of people just giving up on a series they spend an extra 440 Yen to buy the new volume of Kimetsu, and that's certainly possible, in fact in a lot of cases that happens.. But I'm positive that there's also some people that has stopped to buy a series to continue buying other series (In this case KnY).

There's also the other argument that people that bought KnY wouldn't have bought other mangas, sure that could be the case too. Maybe new readers got into it, who knows, but that doesn't mean KnY took some sales out of other titles.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To finalize my argument I'm gonna provide some actual numbers collected by the Japan Book Publisher Association itself, you can check this link here:

You can go to chapter 4 and check the date for yourselves, or here is a tl,Dr: Across all age groups surveyed (Out of 2,459 people surveyed)

An average of 49% read one book or more (so 51% in average don't), that's not really a super important statistic, we all knew there is a finite number to the population of Japan anyways, which is the majority of where manga readers come from, obviously.

More interesting is the next statistic provided, which is the amount of money they spend in books per month:

15% average across all ages don't buy any books, an astonishing 37% of surveyed people spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books! (BTW that's roughly enough for 2 JUMP volumes, so gee.. If an average reader was buying say One Piece and Detective Conan and is now interested in buying the KnY, he/she has to either spend an extra 300 Yen per month OR stop reading OP or DC)...
An average of 27% of readers spend 1,000-2,000 yen per month on books (That would be 4 JUMP manga volumes per month btw).

So yeah, my "cannibalizing" sales argument looks like it very, very likely is true, considering that 15% of Japanese readers don't buy any books (I assume they ask their friends for their volumes..) and 37% only buy 2 volumes per month.

To be honest I had no idea of these numbers before doing this research, but it didn't matter if the average Japanese spent 1,000 Yen per month or 5,000 yen per month, my point would have still stood anyway, since money is a finite resource there was bound to be a part of Japanese readers that stopped buying certain series to buy others (e.g. Kimetsu).

Also please.. Don't give the "that's a very low surveying sample" argument.. Sure.. it could be considered low, go ask the entire population of Japan if you'd like I doubt is gonna change percentages considerably.

Also if you are wondering, yeah the JBPA takes "manga" into consideration in its statistics. I wasn't completely sure about this since they don't really mention the word "manga" or "comic" much in their data, but I compared total book sales between these 2 sources:

The AJPEA said that "Estimated sales value of paper publications (total of books and magazines in which AJPEA explicitly confirms it took manga sales into account) in 2019 was 1,236 billion yen" and the JBPA states that in 2015 total book and magazine sales was 1,522 billion yen. So that comparison proves the first source, JBPA is also taking "manga sales" as "book sales".

So, to summarize all this super long post:
I just provided concise information that a huge % of readers in Japan spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books, for a lack of a better term I'm just gonna call this 37% "normies", they buy less than 2 manga volumes per month.. So do you guys still think Kimetsu No Yaiba didn't cannibalize sales from other volumes? Specifically from this group of readers, I can only assume that yes, Kimetsu took some sales from them.

Also, again answering 101nemesis question once more, "So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?"

Previously I said that it doesn't but now I'm gonna answer this question with a new perspective, which I think is quite valid too.
Kimetsu no Yaiba is an action manga shonen, it's waaaaaaaay more likely to take aways sales from other shonen action manga than say a super niche title or maybe a more artsy manga like a Inio Asano manga.
So in a way, yes I also think that Kimetsu most likely would be taking aways sales from shonen action manga, I'm not saying the other series aren't popular and thriving in their own ways, but yeah.. Kimetsu is surely taking sales from them.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also I'm not gonna continue this argument, as it is almost completely off-topic, I already provided all the points I wanted to convey. If unlike me, you think the economy is a non-zero sum game (Which is that new stuff doesn't take sales from other stuff) then I won't be able to convince you anyway.[/SPOILER]
I've very vaguely gone through your post
You're mixing two different things. Manga and music are one kind of approach where they are forms of medium that are available forever (or as long as the publisher exists) once they release. Consumption of these two are very similar.
The only difference is that music labels set particular dates for releases because in the music industry, topping the chart is a given a certain importance. Aside from that, the numbers of one album is not affected by the sales of the other. Eventually, even if the album they assumed would top ends up not topping, they usually don't care as long as the sales are good.

Movies are released during windows to prioritize maximum audience attendance. There is a set time limit for these movies to be in theater which is also affected by how the demand and reception is upon release.
TOC or rather the polls are just a measure of popularity and demand. It has a set window within which readers have to vote. That's pretty much it.

2000 sample size from a population of 126 million is in fact tiny and irrelevant. It's literally 0.001% of the population.
Twitter polls have larger poll sizes than that.
Everything you've mentioned after that becomes moot since you're basing it all off this sample size.
Their survey sample could've been just people buying regular books like novels.

And you're just vaguely assuming that people can only purchase few number of series at each time. Manga isn't something new in Japan. It's essentially a part of their culture. This isn't something they aren't used to. 1st week numbers can be off but by the 3rd or 4th week, stable series always show similar numbers. There is always a difference of 1-3% of sales (for example, MHA might show differences from 1k-4k between stable volumes which is a given for anything). But a decline of 100k between volumes over the course of many months is NOT because of so called cannibalizing or whatever you want to call it. It's really not that simple.
Especially not for something like TPN or HQ that have shown visible declines within just months. HQ has been on a downward trajectory for years. Same with OP.
There are 100s of other series out there that remain steady or still grow despite so called cannibalizing series.
One of the main reasons why new releases are announced beforehand in any industry is also to ensure people are able to plan ahead and buy what they want to buy.

Alright. Lets go with your assumption that KNY just cannibalized the sales from other manga. Why is it only MHA, TPN and HQ decreasing (following the declining trend they've been showing since before KNY) when all the others around it in WSJ alone are increasing? Why is S8 stagnant at 30k? Why is BC stagnating and not going up or down? Why is JK going up? Why is CSM going up?
And this is just WSJ. Why is Kingdom still going so strong? Why are every other series staying the same or rather showing the same trend they showed prior to KNY's boost? Because the cannibalizing effect that you speak of is moot.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
What new poll question would you guys like to see?
Which of the current uncertain series do you think will survive?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, for those curious, the Black Clover anime has been confirmed to be doing a filler arc set over the time skip. Tabata will have involvement, though.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
What new poll question would you guys like to see?
which of the new series would you want to see an anime done of most (doesn't matter if its gonna be axed)
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Here's my long post responding about Kimetsu No Yaiba cannibalizing sales, I think it's an interesting read regarding economics so if you are interested in economics give it a read.


Before I answer this, I´m gonna clarify some points:

1.-Before I respond, I should say that I didn´t ever bring up One Piece into this argument lol.. So idk why some users have brought it up, but I never did, I still think KnY is over hyped lol..


2.- So.. Maybe I guess I shouldn´t use the word cannibalizing because it sounds like it takes 50% off the sales of manga lol. But cannibalizing sales does happen.
Why do you think movie studios or game studios don´t release movies/games the same week blockbusters like Marvel movies or AAA games get released?
Unless you are a very niche film or game whose audience is still gonna watch your movie you avoid the week like the plague.
Even Marvel spaces their own releases, they try to put their movies at least 4 months apart of each other, maybe to avoid viewers fatigue..

Here´s the definition of Market Cannibalization:
Market Cannibalization happens when the introduction of a new product causes a decrease in the sales of another product within the same company.

Instead of applying this to only Shueisha I´m gonna talk about the entire manga industry.

Anyway, with this in mind it´s just obvious that market cannibalization is a reality of not just the manga industry but every industry.

As I said there's a reason every movie studio spaces their releases and so do video game studios.


3.- Now let´s talk about the concept of Zero sum game which is very important to understand market cannibalization:
In a nutshell zero sum game means that "whenever someone wins something someone losses", it's true for a lot of games.

An example I can make to make this WSJ related is the TOC since it is a pretty clear zero sum game.
Each week the series in WSJ "Fight" for readers' votes, there is a finite number of readers' votes, and they can only vote for their top 3 favorite series (Or to be more precise that chapter week) so in this case 3 series get a vote, the other 15 or so series in the magazine don't. Pretty easy concept to understand. 3 series "win" 15 "lose".

Some economic experts debate that economics isn´t a zero sum game, some say it is.. In my opinion (and a lot of experienced economists) it is, and if it is then any market can be considered a zero sum game.
You can check a reddit thread I read a long time ago regarding this to make your own conclusions.


4.- Sorry @Buranchi , I know this is off-topic, I will try not to bring up this "Cannibalizing sales again".

All that being said, I'm gonna start replying.


First, as I said, I didn´t even bring up One Piece into this, if this was hinted towards me lol.

Second... That statement wouldn´t make sense, so no, I wouldn´t say that.

I wouldn´t say KnY is unworthy of beating One Piece if it was indeed cannibalizing sales, One Piece in its time cannibalized sales too (And still does to a lot of series).




I truly don´t care about the series I was taking about, I was just pointing out the obvious

The one series I care for which you mention is One Piece and I never said anything about OP sales being cannibalized by KnY, in fact I think One Piece has already a super established fanbase, so KnY has very, very, very low chances of cannibalizing its sales, but I simply don´t think that's true for other younger series, lots of people just jump shark to the next popular thing, e.g. let´s suppose they were following MHA, then KnY got popular and now they are reading that, in the other hand OP as I said already has an established ¨peak¨ and sure its sales are still dwindling but I would not say it´s because of KnY mostly because probably people got bored along the way maybe.



If you had concrete data from those exact numbers we could talk about it.. But I don´t think we do.
Still, even if we did, certainly Death Note took sales away from those series, it´s just math.. I´m not saying it was a HUGE cannibalization, but that´s how it goes.


I'm gonna simplify this:

Imagine that back when Death Note (Along with all the other titles you mentioned) was being published there was 80 people in Japan, each with only 400 Yen to spend.. (Which is roughly enough for 1 volumes at the time).

You provided 8 examples of successful titles of the time, OP, HxH, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn, in this hypothetical example every title is selling 10 volumes (So 10 citizens of Japan buy each title).

But then Death Note starts getting serialized! And some people love it and want to buy its first volume... But they only have 400 Yen, so what happens? They will no longer be able to buy the other manga, so let´s say 1 reader of each manga decides to buy Death Note now, every manga has only 9 volumes sold and DN has 8 sales.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but this is how economy works, in a grand scale, obviously there is not 80 people in Japan, and obviously their income is not 400 Yen, but you get the point.

The point being is that whenever there's a finite resource (Be it money or time) and a consumer has to decide on how to spend it the product that is bought "gains" a sale and the product that doesn't get bought "lost" a sale.

Also, as I said, it's not like KnY is totally taking away all the sales from other titles, other factors (covid19, readers getting bored, readers dying... too many factors to count) are also contributing to it obviously.

I understand your arguments too guys, you are probably thinking that instead of people just giving up on a series they spend an extra 440 Yen to buy the new volume of Kimetsu, and that's certainly possible, in fact in a lot of cases that happens.. But I'm positive that there's also some people that has stopped to buy a series to continue buying other series (In this case KnY).

There's also the other argument that people that bought KnY wouldn't have bought other mangas, sure that could be the case too. Maybe new readers got into it, who knows, but that doesn't mean KnY took some sales out of other titles.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To finalize my argument I'm gonna provide some actual numbers collected by the Japan Book Publisher Association itself, you can check this link here:

You can go to chapter 4 and check the date for yourselves, or here is a tl,Dr: Across all age groups surveyed (Out of 2,459 people surveyed)

An average of 49% read one book or more (so 51% in average don't), that's not really a super important statistic, we all knew there is a finite number to the population of Japan anyways, which is the majority of where manga readers come from, obviously.

More interesting is the next statistic provided, which is the amount of money they spend in books per month:

15% average across all ages don't buy any books, an astonishing 37% of surveyed people spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books! (BTW that's roughly enough for 2 JUMP volumes, so gee.. If an average reader was buying say One Piece and Detective Conan and is now interested in buying the KnY, he/she has to either spend an extra 300 Yen per month OR stop reading OP or DC)...
An average of 27% of readers spend 1,000-2,000 yen per month on books (That would be 4 JUMP manga volumes per month btw).

So yeah, my "cannibalizing" sales argument looks like it very, very likely is true, considering that 15% of Japanese readers don't buy any books (I assume they ask their friends for their volumes..) and 37% only buy 2 volumes per month.

To be honest I had no idea of these numbers before doing this research, but it didn't matter if the average Japanese spent 1,000 Yen per month or 5,000 yen per month, my point would have still stood anyway, since money is a finite resource there was bound to be a part of Japanese readers that stopped buying certain series to buy others (e.g. Kimetsu).

Also please.. Don't give the "that's a very low surveying sample" argument.. Sure.. it could be considered low, go ask the entire population of Japan if you'd like I doubt is gonna change percentages considerably.

Also if you are wondering, yeah the JBPA takes "manga" into consideration in its statistics. I wasn't completely sure about this since they don't really mention the word "manga" or "comic" much in their data, but I compared total book sales between these 2 sources:

The AJPEA said that "Estimated sales value of paper publications (total of books and magazines in which AJPEA explicitly confirms it took manga sales into account) in 2019 was 1,236 billion yen" and the JBPA states that in 2015 total book and magazine sales was 1,522 billion yen. So that comparison proves the first source, JBPA is also taking "manga sales" as "book sales".

So, to summarize all this super long post:
I just provided concise information that a huge % of readers in Japan spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books, for a lack of a better term I'm just gonna call this 37% "normies", they buy less than 2 manga volumes per month.. So do you guys still think Kimetsu No Yaiba didn't cannibalize sales from other volumes? Specifically from this group of readers, I can only assume that yes, Kimetsu took some sales from them.

Also, again answering 101nemesis question once more, "So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?"

Previously I said that it doesn't but now I'm gonna answer this question with a new perspective, which I think is quite valid too.
Kimetsu no Yaiba is an action manga shonen, it's waaaaaaaay more likely to take aways sales from other shonen action manga than say a super niche title or maybe a more artsy manga like a Inio Asano manga.
So in a way, yes I also think that Kimetsu most likely would be taking aways sales from shonen action manga, I'm not saying the other series aren't popular and thriving in their own ways, but yeah.. Kimetsu is surely taking sales from them.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also I'm not gonna continue this argument, as it is almost completely off-topic, I already provided all the points I wanted to convey. If unlike me, you think the economy is a non-zero sum game (Which is that new stuff doesn't take sales from other stuff) then I won't be able to convince you anyway.[/SPOILER]
Your movies example just doesn't work. To go to the cinema you need to set apart a pretty decent amount of time, like, I can't possibly spend 2 hours at 9pm at the cinema every day right? And when you consider that each movie would be coming out for only a short amount of time, it becomes easy to see why some people would prioritise a movie over another. This doesn't really happen with mangas, where all you have to do is head to the store and purchase the volumes, even multiples at once.

Not to mention the price tag difference, buying a manga costs nearly 1/3rd of watching a movie in japan, even less if you take into account other stuff like buying popcorns/drinks at the cinema.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia

I can't believe Teruteru Hanamura is in Shokugeki no Soma.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
What new poll question would you guys like to see?
Is Haikyu gonna keep running until the next Olympics?

It's especially fun because nobody knows when the next Olympics are going to be. :catshrug


Which of the current uncertain series do you think will survive?
Didn't we have something like this before?

If not, good question, but it needs an ending date (or number of volumes) so there's no discussion about what 'survive' means.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top