Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,562
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Mitama Security - Fantastic chapter. It's always nice to see a chad get what's coming to them. The gags were really on-point this chapter, and it was nice to see Mitama, Janco and Soya all together again.
2. Undead Unluck - Excellent follow-up to an amazing chapter last week. The UMAs seem to to work a bit differently than what I was originally expecting, but the way they seem to function is still pretty interesting. Welcome aboard Clothy!
3. Mission: Yozakura Family - Nice chapter. If they can keep integrating the family members into the chapters like this, I think that would feel pretty natural. Hopefully it can keep this streak up.
4. Act-Age - Pretty good transition chapter into the final performances. Curious to see how this will conclude.
5. We Never Learn - Honestly, the best part of this arc has been Sawako. If she was absent, there wouldn't really be anything worthwhile in this route so far. Largely just more fanservice with an occasional romantic panel.

Thoughts on the rest:
Mashle - Decent end to the fight. I'm curious to see what the follow-up chapter is going to be like. In terms of the gag runnings, this one isn't as good as Mitama, but better than Agravity.
Yuragi no Yuuna-san - .......I'm not even sure how to being explaining this chapter lol. The author really wanted to crank the lewd up a notch for chapter 200
Agravity Boys - Finally more aliens. Hopefully the next chapter delivers with more alien/space stuff.
Chainsawman - I honestly have no clue what's going on anymore. I can barely follow what's happening in these fights anymore
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
33
Country
France
- A nice end for Samurai 8, even if the manga was nothing special, it was a good run.
- Yozakura : Kinda funny, still prefers the previous arc with a serious tone
- Mitama : Funny too, not hilarious but ok
- Zipman : Well, even if it feels like the end, it still feels really rushed !
- Agravity Boys : My boys are lame at dating ! Cool chapter, I'm really getting into this serie, hopefully it will survive !
- Undead Unluck : Really great chapter, only to explay why Yndead will have clothes on him even if he dies, but still cool ! I really dig the universe of this serie !
- Mashle : Funny but I still got trouble to got really into it !
- Guardian of The Witch : ok chapter, a classic evolution of a shounen battle manga, nothing much to say about it !

One Piece and Demon Slayer chapter really stood out this week !
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
wasnt the start of the Hinagiku arc with Nanao on a mission and taiyo has to help him
I guess that could count, wouldn't be surprised if we get another chapter that gives him more focus than that one did soon.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My god, Neverland needs to end alraedy. What a mess this manga turned out on this last arc.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
My top 3 this week

1. Haikyu!! : Kageyama is by far the best rival in Jump, amazing character writing as usual from Furudate

2. Chainsaw Man : Fujimoto is probably the most unpredictable mangaka in Jump at this point lol

3. My Hero Academia : Fantastic art from Horikoshi this week plus a nice way to end the chapter, this arc has alot of potential, hoping Hori keeps it up

HM: Jujutsu Kaisen : Best choreography in Jump currently imo, the paneling and action scenes by Gege were really great this week
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
So...Jigokubros, here's a question to ask. When do you think the series will end? There not really much that the series can do once these battles end.
p.s: fuck you Shugen


Also, for the last time, the Yuuna spread in the best quality, no Anya this time.
 
Last edited:

BRTK

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 11, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
31
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
This week's Mashle was probably my favorite chapter of the series so far. Simple mixture of jokes + more serious stuff, but it was well done.

UU felt kind of random. Still, a pretty good chapter that left me hyped for the next one.

Yozakura and Mitama were both nice - nothing special, but these chapters were decently fun.

S8 was rushed as hell, damn. The series as a whole was a huge disappointment. I liked the first chapter but everything that came after was ranging from shit to somewhat decent. Normally, I'd drop a series like that after a few chapters, but I kept reading since it was by Kishimoto... eh, well, that was a waste of my time. The setting was interesting but that's about it, it's potential was not fulfilled. Also, Hachimaru was extremely unlikeable (at least for me). Such a lame main character.

My top 5 this week:
1. HQ
2. KnY
3. WNL
4. CSM
5. Mashle

Haikyuu was crazy good, this match is really awesome! I still hope that it won't be the last one. ;')

Most of the established series had a great chapter this week. Hell, even TPN was decent, which is pretty rare these days.

Also, I've started re-reading Bleach after the announcement and damn, I'm hooked. The series definitly got worse as it went on, but I love everything from the beginning to the end of the SS arc.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
TPN: I know that many say Emma is naive and I belong to that group as well, but damn, she is one convinced naive person! What a will-strong dreamer! And you know she is right, in a sorta way. No one is born "evil" that goes for all parties believing they have to do what must be done to do the "right" thing even if said thing make them seem like Monsters. In a world like ours where we got so many "Everybody for themselves; America first!" line of thoughts, I can't help but wonder how different our world might look like if we had more "nave" people like Emmy as captains.

KnY: YEAH, FINALLY!!! At least I hope this finishes next chapter. I expected more dead Slayers tbh.

OP: When you are so "smart" that you outwit everyone, even yourself, lol. Dude should hit the school bank again.

JjK: NANAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~ *cough* A very strong chapter that oozed POWER all over it. I liked it.

Dr. Stone: Leave it to Kohaku to not only have amazing eyes but also amazing hand-eye-coordination speed. She and Senku make an unbeatbale (cheating) team. <3

Haikyu!: Nice flashback but somehow I feel like that should have happened way earlier?

Mashle: I like it when Mashel's Muscle Power trumps Magic so hard that people think he is magicking. It is funnier than the HP parodies. XD

MHA: Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, the FREAKING Power balance is sometimes so goddamn unbalanced! Stop making first year students beat world-class villains in one double spread page, Hoshi! That ain't cool. >.< However the exchange between Twice and Hawks was great, the league is really lucky to have a friend like Twice on their side and you could feel how much Hawks wanted Twice to join his side. Those two could have been real great friends if they were not Villain and Hero. I liked Twice rant because despite how misguided and flawed it was, it held true to him and many others who feel like there is no hero for them, who are not seen, who are suffering without a hand held toward them and thus can't see why a hero should be called "hero". Think Twice has become my favorite character of MHA and he is supposed to be a side-villain despite all his "hero" tendencies like believing in others, sacrificing for his friends and never giving up despite the odds stacked against him.

BC: I don't read this one.

UxU: That was surprisingly slow yet still very entertaining. When I saw the title and cover I knew what it would be about but I had no idea it would turn out like this and the way that happened was very enjoyable and fun to read. One of the coolest "Protag gets his "hero costume"" chapters I have read so far! Also are McD burgers really bigger in America than elsewhere? I knew there were bigger cups there (like a 1 liter in US is far more than a 1 liter in Japan, like whaaaaaat?) but I really thought the burgers had same sizes in the franchise all over the world.

WNL: Rizu has become the most direct and aggressive one of the three girls (even more than Uruka with her wing-curved ball hints) who actually uses her assets (A...B....C...D...E....F.........G............H.................... wow) to get the boy she loves to notice her.

GotW: That is his... around his neck?! I like Top hat even more now, wow, what a background story! I also liked how Fafnir admitted all his flaws and wrong-doings. I feel though like the three days limit is a hint to a sooner than expected End. Wish Top hat would join their group and not just be a point stop teacher on their journey.

CSM: Wait...okay....WHAT???? Holy... that is... Jesus, I did not saw that coming. Damn, the poor three kids but for that kinda devil spell... Also Hell looks great! Man man man man man, this is first place easy with that twist, that reveal and that power showcase result at the end! How the hell are they getting outta that?!

Act-Age: It was a pretty okayish chapter until Kei and Hanako went to their rivals to ask for help. But really, the very best part was this scene with Kei and Chiyoko sitting together in the changing room with the latter saying "We'll still be Actors when we're wrinkled old ladies.".
Like.... damn, man! That was gorgeous! The fading background, the far back sight of the two, the way they were facing each other, how relaxed the atmosphere was like, the simpleness yet true meaning of this one sentence, the whole build up in this arc, this very chapter of Kei's pride and frustration and Chiyoko's fear and fatality thoughts laid bare - I was just stunned. It was so beautiful. A friendship, a rivalry between two female WSJ characters felt so much more real and truer and sensible and sensitive and strong than a majority of male-male friendship/rivalry duos we had and have in many WSJ series. This is what I am looking for in a friendly rivalry or rival friendship of a main protagonist and their main counterpart/partner/comrade. I want to see all the differences and similarities in both characters like they are a mirror yet a coin with two different sides. I want to feel like those two friends/rivals truly understand each other and with that themselves as well. In nearly all series this dynamic is handled the way that either the protag has to catch up to the arrogant rival and that's it they are friends or that the protag was morally right and the rival has to end up admitting that and they are friends or they somehow have a big fight to the death and ends with them being friends for life (again). We got no such thing in Act-Age. Both Kei and Chiyoko keep growing as characters and actors, challenging each other, HELPING each other, looking at each other, envying each other, priding themselves.
This is good.
This was really really good.

Mitama: Hmmmmmmmmmm, why is there a SecuREIity again when ghosts can just be talked to? What's so bad about going to the other side? How come this chapter didn't gave me as much joy as other previous ones? I feel like either this chapter could have been better if it had only been Rena and her ghost group or if Mitama has been REALLY needed to solve this situation. But so it felt like trying really hard and failing to accomplish... anything? I didn't liked it much.

Yozakura: Big sis time, good time. Dead big bro time, even better time. Seriously, can we kill off that creep already please?

AB: Nice, I liked it and the challenge between the two ship crews. It is something many people can probably relate to - how hard and scary and mortifying "flirting" is and how easy others make it seem like. I bet Chris gonna crush the competition though all his dates gonna be male aliens for sure, lol.

S8: Gave ch. 43 a read, have only read ch.1 then dropped it, only gazing at some chapter reveals here and there. It felt... weird, like too much crammed in to make sense of. Also this "you were the HMHM all along" was so cliche it nearly made my eyes roll back so much I went blind. Gotta say though, that very last page? That's what I would have loved to read about! A princess becoming a female Samurai, carrying on her dead boyfriend's spirit and wish to make their shared dream of a peaceful world/galaxy come true? Yes please, very much so please. Just keep the concept simpler, like warring system-wide empires and republics, space war, close-combat that feels real and has a crush and slice feel to it with lasting effects. Like a mix of Gintama and Star Wars with magic/the force/warp power/etc samurai who nobody listens to anymore, made up of many different species, an once powerful organization (not planet destroying powerful by snapping fingers powerful though) that lost all power with the further advance of technology, huge battleships, giant battle-stations, great warp rings and more and more people getting access to the same power as the once old and worshiped samurai without their codex binding them down, perverting it, using it in ways unimaginable to samurais, with samurais turning mercs, fighting for empires, killing each other as their faith's fickle light grows dimmer with each passing day and death, with samurais growing cruel and hurtful to the world around them which abandoned, mocked and laughed at them, going so far they blame their old brethren and comrades who still cling to the ways of old when they just want to see everyone suffer for making them suffer. Like it's Sci-Fi with magic, how can you fuck it up so badly with something that could be so interesting? Oh yeah, boring exposition, lame characters, over-crowded panels with no focus, jumpy plot-line everywhere, snail like process that turns lighting-fast in an instant for no reason whatsoever - all that can end any good idea dead in its tracks. But noooooo, it's the readers fault not the creator one~
Let's hope the next series is better thought-out and more well handled than this one if there gonna be a next series that is.

Zipman: Only last boss remain standing, this either finishes next chapter or the one after. I don't see this reaching 20. Welcome to the Club, Zipman. Maybe someday some mangaka will do a web-series with all the U19 MCs and consorts that lament their faith while shit-talking about other newcomers in Jump or envy the successful series ending in dignified ways. It would certainly be fun to see all those different kinds of characters interact with each other, similar to Isekai Quartet. I could see that becoming more successful than many of the series that it would feature.

SxF: It says a lot when a not WSJ series is the funniest of the entire batch to read! Holy shit! I laughed tears! A chapter that was supposed to be a filler of Yor learning to cook was far more funnier, entertaining and lovelier to read than more than half of WSJ's current set-up! This chapter was a killer for your laughing organ and a squeezer for your heart. It had all the ingredients you are looking for in a romantic comedy with some more that you wouldn't expect. I am glad Yor got such a focus and that she is about to get a female friend her own age similar to how Twilight got Scruffy. I loved how everyone, even Yor herself, misinterpreted what she wanted to achieve with this session. It was funny, adorable and heart-warming, a fake family so in love you can't help but smile and feel your heart grow thrice its usual size. Haaah, that was such a good finish to end this weekly manga read, I loved it and would put it into 2nd place in our rankings this week if I could. <3
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
What? No KnY movie PV? The wait is going to kill me and the PS4 game looks very nice.
So...Jigokubros, here's a question to ask. When do you think the series will end? There not really much that the series can do once these battles end.
p.s: fuck you Shugen


Also, for the last time, the Yuuna spread in the best quality, no Anya this time.
Too bad we cant vote for Jigo...Hard to say when it will end since I don't think it's going to end as soon as people think it will but it definitely won't be that long. My guess is the series will be around ~15 volumes once its done. It'll prob end around sometime next year is my prediction. Shugen is nuts, I'll leave it with that lol.
 

TheRealTravisty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2020
Messages
731
Reaction score
1,324
Age
39
Country
Canada
Let’s see...my top 5 this week...

1. Haikyuu
2. My Hero Academia
3. Mission: Yozakura Family
I didn’t think I’d ever put this series in my top 5. It’s disappointed me so many times, but FINALLY we get to see more of the other family members. Futaba is such a great character. I’m glad we got to see more of her. I’m honestly sick of Kyoichiro. He seriously ruins this series.
4. Mashle
Some hilarious dialogue from Mash. Feels a bit more like a standard shonen this week, but I love that Lance is essentially fighting for people like Mash. I look forward to seeing what their future relationship is like.
5. Agravity Boys
Just an amusing chapter all around. I’m glad that it looks like Saga is going to get more focus.

I really need to digest this week’s Chainsawman more, as it confused me (though there was awesome panel work.) I wasn’t too happy with Act-Age’s developments.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
S8 final chapter is super awful
I dunno if these plot twists were planned or just something they came up with for the sake of tying up loose ends but damn that's bad

Hachimaru was the pandora box all along ????

could you imagine reading this manga for years only for this plot twist to be revealed, bullet dodged
also Kotsuga, Goku and Ichigo being keys doesn't make any sense, when they used the keys radar a couple of chapters ago only Ryu was detected on the ship


on a different subject, What happened to Mashle color page? did I miss something? Is mangaplus glitching again?(ignore this pls)
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Kimetsu's final battle is absolutely tiring and I still feel like its not done yet.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I assume you haven't read Akira?


I agree, also reminded me too much of a chapter of Mieruko-chan honestly.
I've seen Akira, but Mayuri was the first thing that came to mind. Bleach has been on the mind after all
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
What? No KnY movie PV? The wait is going to kill me and the PS4 game looks very nice.


Too bad we cant vote for Jigo...Hard to say when it will end since I don't think it's going to end as soon as people think it will but it definitely won't be that long. My guess is the series will be around ~15 volumes once its done. It'll prob end around sometime next year is my prediction. Shugen is nuts, I'll leave it with that lol.
On April 10 xD, they will reveal new key visual and pv, less than 3 weeks tho
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Both SxF and UU made me laugh out loud this week. That doesn't happen too often.

TPN, Kimetsu and Zipman all feel so close to ending that I can't even tell which one will finish first.

WNL on the other hand is actually going back in time to drag things out more. I'm wondering how long they are planning to make these stories.

HQ, same thing (but nice flashback).

BC is also doing a flashback scene, but it would've worked better if it actually explained her new power.

Yozakura was actually good this week. Probably the first time ever I'll be voting for it.

Dr Stone was fun too, though I thought Senku would know because he was counting the whole game.

GotW is doing a commendable attempt at having an emotional moment. It would probably work better if I actually cared about the characters.

Mashle is taking a more serious tone, which... isn't bad, but they really need to follow up on it, otherwise it will feel like a waste of time.

1. Undead
2. Dr Stone
3. Yozakura
4. HQ

So...Jigokubros, here's a question to ask. When do you think the series will end? There not really much that the series can do once these battles end.
But they just added like a hundred more people to battle. It could go on for another year if they do the whole 'enemies learning to understand that they need to work together to fight a bigger enemy' thing again, and even longer if the enemies actually make it to the mainland.
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I actually really enjoyed this Kimetsu chapter. It's been a while since it happened, lol. Also enjoyed Haikyuu way more than previous weeks, and the series I have been enjoying also had good/great chapters, so all in all, a very good week for me

My top-5:

1 - One Piece (still laughing at the last panel)
2 - CSM
3 - Haikyuu
4 - Neverland
5 - Boku no Hero Academia
 

Reyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Messages
450
Reaction score
466
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
CC2 must really not like the Switch, to not put it out of the market leading console....what a shitty mistake.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Wait Mashle was supposed to have a CP this week?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top