Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,562
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
TPN: I know that many say Emma is naive and I belong to that group as well, but damn, she is one convinced naive person! What a will-strong dreamer! And you know she is right, in a sorta way. No one is born "evil" that goes for all parties believing they have to do what must be done to do the "right" thing even if said thing make them seem like Monsters. In a world like ours where we got so many "Everybody for themselves; America first!" line of thoughts, I can't help but wonder how different our world might look like if we had more "nave" people like Emmy as captains.

KnY: YEAH, FINALLY!!! At least I hope this finishes next chapter. I expected more dead Slayers tbh.

OP: When you are so "smart" that you outwit everyone, even yourself, lol. Dude should hit the school bank again.

JjK: NANAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~ *cough* A very strong chapter that oozed POWER all over it. I liked it.

Dr. Stone: Leave it to Kohaku to not only have amazing eyes but also amazing hand-eye-coordination speed. She and Senku make an unbeatbale (cheating) team. <3

Haikyu!: Nice flashback but somehow I feel like that should have happened way earlier?

Mashle: I like it when Mashel's Muscle Power trumps Magic so hard that people think he is magicking. It is funnier than the HP parodies. XD

MHA: Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, the FREAKING Power balance is sometimes so goddamn unbalanced! Stop making first year students beat world-class villains in one double spread page, Hoshi! That ain't cool. >.< However the exchange between Twice and Hawks was great, the league is really lucky to have a friend like Twice on their side and you could feel how much Hawks wanted Twice to join his side. Those two could have been real great friends if they were not Villain and Hero. I liked Twice rant because despite how misguided and flawed it was, it held true to him and many others who feel like there is no hero for them, who are not seen, who are suffering without a hand held toward them and thus can't see why a hero should be called "hero". Think Twice has become my favorite character of MHA and he is supposed to be a side-villain despite all his "hero" tendencies like believing in others, sacrificing for his friends and never giving up despite the odds stacked against him.

BC: I don't read this one.

UxU: That was surprisingly slow yet still very entertaining. When I saw the title and cover I knew what it would be about but I had no idea it would turn out like this and the way that happened was very enjoyable and fun to read. One of the coolest "Protag gets his "hero costume"" chapters I have read so far! Also are McD burgers really bigger in America than elsewhere? I knew there were bigger cups there (like a 1 liter in US is far more than a 1 liter in Japan, like whaaaaaat?) but I really thought the burgers had same sizes in the franchise all over the world.

WNL: Rizu has become the most direct and aggressive one of the three girls (even more than Uruka with her wing-curved ball hints) who actually uses her assets (A...B....C...D...E....F.........G............H.................... wow) to get the boy she loves to notice her.

GotW: That is his... around his neck?! I like Top hat even more now, wow, what a background story! I also liked how Fafnir admitted all his flaws and wrong-doings. I feel though like the three days limit is a hint to a sooner than expected End. Wish Top hat would join their group and not just be a point stop teacher on their journey.

CSM: Wait...okay....WHAT???? Holy... that is... Jesus, I did not saw that coming. Damn, the poor three kids but for that kinda devil spell... Also Hell looks great! Man man man man man, this is first place easy with that twist, that reveal and that power showcase result at the end! How the hell are they getting outta that?!

Act-Age: It was a pretty okayish chapter until Kei and Hanako went to their rivals to ask for help. But really, the very best part was this scene with Kei and Chiyoko sitting together in the changing room with the latter saying "We'll still be Actors when we're wrinkled old ladies.".
Like.... damn, man! That was gorgeous! The fading background, the far back sight of the two, the way they were facing each other, how relaxed the atmosphere was like, the simpleness yet true meaning of this one sentence, the whole build up in this arc, this very chapter of Kei's pride and frustration and Chiyoko's fear and fatality thoughts laid bare - I was just stunned. It was so beautiful. A friendship, a rivalry between two female WSJ characters felt so much more real and truer and sensible and sensitive and strong than a majority of male-male friendship/rivalry duos we had and have in many WSJ series. This is what I am looking for in a friendly rivalry or rival friendship of a main protagonist and their main counterpart/partner/comrade. I want to see all the differences and similarities in both characters like they are a mirror yet a coin with two different sides. I want to feel like those two friends/rivals truly understand each other and with that themselves as well. In nearly all series this dynamic is handled the way that either the protag has to catch up to the arrogant rival and that's it they are friends or that the protag was morally right and the rival has to end up admitting that and they are friends or they somehow have a big fight to the death and ends with them being friends for life (again). We got no such thing in Act-Age. Both Kei and Chiyoko keep growing as characters and actors, challenging each other, HELPING each other, looking at each other, envying each other, priding themselves.
This is good.
This was really really good.

Mitama: Hmmmmmmmmmm, why is there a SecuREIity again when ghosts can just be talked to? What's so bad about going to the other side? How come this chapter didn't gave me as much joy as other previous ones? I feel like either this chapter could have been better if it had only been Rena and her ghost group or if Mitama has been REALLY needed to solve this situation. But so it felt like trying really hard and failing to accomplish... anything? I didn't liked it much.

Yozakura: Big sis time, good time. Dead big bro time, even better time. Seriously, can we kill off that creep already please?

AB: Nice, I liked it and the challenge between the two ship crews. It is something many people can probably relate to - how hard and scary and mortifying "flirting" is and how easy others make it seem like. I bet Chris gonna crush the competition though all his dates gonna be male aliens for sure, lol.

S8: Gave ch. 43 a read, have only read ch.1 then dropped it, only gazing at some chapter reveals here and there. It felt... weird, like too much crammed in to make sense of. Also this "you were the HMHM all along" was so cliche it nearly made my eyes roll back so much I went blind. Gotta say though, that very last page? That's what I would have loved to read about! A princess becoming a female Samurai, carrying on her dead boyfriend's spirit and wish to make their shared dream of a peaceful world/galaxy come true? Yes please, very much so please. Just keep the concept simpler, like warring system-wide empires and republics, space war, close-combat that feels real and has a crush and slice feel to it with lasting effects. Like a mix of Gintama and Star Wars with magic/the force/warp power/etc samurai who nobody listens to anymore, made up of many different species, an once powerful organization (not planet destroying powerful by snapping fingers powerful though) that lost all power with the further advance of technology, huge battleships, giant battle-stations, great warp rings and more and more people getting access to the same power as the once old and worshiped samurai without their codex binding them down, perverting it, using it in ways unimaginable to samurais, with samurais turning mercs, fighting for empires, killing each other as their faith's fickle light grows dimmer with each passing day and death, with samurais growing cruel and hurtful to the world around them which abandoned, mocked and laughed at them, going so far they blame their old brethren and comrades who still cling to the ways of old when they just want to see everyone suffer for making them suffer. Like it's Sci-Fi with magic, how can you fuck it up so badly with something that could be so interesting? Oh yeah, boring exposition, lame characters, over-crowded panels with no focus, jumpy plot-line everywhere, snail like process that turns lighting-fast in an instant for no reason whatsoever - all that can end any good idea dead in its tracks. But noooooo, it's the readers fault not the creator one~
Let's hope the next series is better thought-out and more well handled than this one if there gonna be a next series that is.

Zipman: Only last boss remain standing, this either finishes next chapter or the one after. I don't see this reaching 20. Welcome to the Club, Zipman. Maybe someday some mangaka will do a web-series with all the U19 MCs and consorts that lament their faith while shit-talking about other newcomers in Jump or envy the successful series ending in dignified ways. It would certainly be fun to see all those different kinds of characters interact with each other, similar to Isekai Quartet. I could see that becoming more successful than many of the series that it would feature.

SxF: It says a lot when a not WSJ series is the funniest of the entire batch to read! Holy shit! I laughed tears! A chapter that was supposed to be a filler of Yor learning to cook was far more funnier, entertaining and lovelier to read than more than half of WSJ's current set-up! This chapter was a killer for your laughing organ and a squeezer for your heart. It had all the ingredients you are looking for in a romantic comedy with some more that you wouldn't expect. I am glad Yor got such a focus and that she is about to get a female friend her own age similar to how Twilight got Scruffy. I loved how everyone, even Yor herself, misinterpreted what she wanted to achieve with this session. It was funny, adorable and heart-warming, a fake family so in love you can't help but smile and feel your heart grow thrice its usual size. Haaah, that was such a good finish to end this weekly manga read, I loved it and would put it into 2nd place in our rankings this week if I could. <3
To respond to your comment on MHA, I think it’s more as if ReDestro’s prosthetic legs couldn’t handle the stress coming from him going full 100% stress mode and holding off Dark Shadow. And so they broke easily and he lost his footing and foundation, not that Dark Shadow overpowered him. Consequences of cutting your natural legs that were made to handle your Quirk off.

HeroAca was very good, WNL was kind of meh. Rizu’s cute, but the ghost girl feels out of place. Then again, I’m really reading for the Fumino and Sensei endings.

Side Note: I was in a ResetEra thread and someone was making a good argument about CyberConnect2’s Demon Slayer game and how it should’ve been on Switch. The thing that I couldn’t help but chuckle at though, was them saying that the franchise peaked from September to March and wouldn’t reach those heights again. All I could think was “wait till the movie.” XD
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Mashle was great. Lance can be the sidekick Mash needs who compliments his character.
Fingers crossed this series survives in the long run.

no, i went back to check last week preview and it's just extra pages

tldr: i'm retarded
Lolll. Go easy on yourself, buddy.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
S8 final chapter is super awful
I dunno if these plot twists were planned or just something they came up with for the sake of tying up loose ends but damn that's bad

Hachimaru was the pandora box all along ????

could you imagine reading this manga for years only for this plot twist to be revealed, bullet dodged
also Kotsuga, Goku and Ichigo being keys doesn't make any sense, when they used the keys radar a couple of chapters ago only Ryu was detected on the ship
I kind of gave up on trying to understand everything that was going on (the series was always a bit woolly for me, and this last chapter doubly so), but when they said "the seven true keys" and then showed us eight pictures, I seriously wondered for a moment if Kishi wasn't just pulling our leg.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Samurai 8's cancellation is just sad to watch. What a titanic waste of time, effort and ideas.

Fave three were Neverland, Chainsaw and Act-Age, though a good numbers of others were really good as well.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
CC2 must really not like the Switch, to not put it out of the market leading console....what a shitty mistake.
They are the developer, it's Aniplex who has such choice.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
the Ultimate Ninja Storm remaster was released on Switch months after PS4 so maybe something similar would happen again
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
the Ultimate Ninja Storm remaster was released on Switch months after PS4 so maybe something similar would happen again
That game was published by Bandai Namco. Aniplex so far on their offerings on console just published exclusive games. A Fate cooking game for Switch and now Kimetsu for PS4. We'll need to wait for more releases to see how they go in console business.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
My favorites this week were One Piece, Mashle, Chainsawman and Act Age. Yozakura was also quite nice, every chapter were siscon brother gets trashed is good in my book
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
I though Samurai 8's first arc was terrible and the rest was just weak with a few high points, but I really enjoyed this final arc and thought the ideas it presented were actually interesting and what I wanted from it to begin with. However the ending really makes me question if this was the direction and the ideas Kishimoto actually wanted to explore and end part one on with a similar note, or he just chose this route to quickly wrap it up with the typical open ending of a cancelled series. Although the title of the series alone makes the latter much more likely, which makes this arc way less interesting in retrospect, or in a way more impressive that he winged imo the best part of the manga in the end.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Anime info next week for BLEACH, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Haikyu!!, and My Hero Academia according to the issue preview... still nothing for Jujutsu Kaisen
Well they might be some random announcement or things we already know. Jjk will most likely have its details/news about the anime when it gets its anniversary cover.

You didn't read the series very closely I take it?
Stopped reading it when Hachimaru/Ann had that kind of a date. I went back I read again, I noticed my mistake.
 

Kmask95

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 16, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Age
30
Country
Spain
I kind of gave up on trying to understand everything that was going on (the series was always a bit woolly for me, and this last chapter doubly so), but when they said "the seven true keys" and then showed us eight pictures, I seriously wondered for a moment if Kishi wasn't just pulling our leg.
When they say 7 keys, they show you 8 images because they are 7 keys + the box that is Hachimaru.
Hachimaru is no longer a key if not the box itself, so there are now only 7 keys to open it. Ann is just protecting Hachi.

For me the best episode of the week to Chainsaw, by the way does anyone know what is lying on the ground on the last page?
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Incidentally, I'm deeply amused that Tozuka admitted he gave Andy his suit just so he didn't have to constantly cover hid dick.

Makes me think he might not have used a censor bar in the first place when presenting Jump his work. xD

Jump: The hell is this?
Tozuka *super proud*: That's a d...
Jump: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! I want to know why you thought we would publish this in our magazine!
Tozuka: Well, CSM got his gore so I thought if perhaps...
Jump: You thought wrong. We censor bar it.
Tozuka: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
How many chapters would it take for TPN to finish up this volume?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It doesn't matter how many chapters it needs. Series can do all sorts of other things to fill up volumes.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
How many chapters would it take for TPN to finish up this volume?
7-8 chapters more.

It doesn't matter how many chapters it needs. Series can do all sorts of other things to fill up volumes.
Or that, yes. They could include the one-shot "Poppy's Wish" that Shirai and Demizu did as a test before serializing Neverland.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top