Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Makes me think he might not have used a censor bar in the first place when presenting Jump his work. xD

Jump: The hell is this?
Tozuka *super proud*: That's a d...
Jump: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! I want to know why you thought we would publish this in our magazine!
Tozuka: Well, CSM got his gore so I thought if perhaps...
Jump: You thought wrong. We censor bar it.
Tozuka: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
More like:

Tozuka: "You know about how Bastard!! uses a censor like that for Dark Scheider right?"
Jump: "I forget, isn't that on hiatus?"
Tozuka "Well what if I use that gimmick for my manga?"
Jump: "Yeah whatever."
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
An informative post on the production team that's working on the Burn The Witch film:
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
My last reply to the cannibalizing sales thing, which I find quite obvious it happens.. I dunno why some users don't, but whatever:

(Very long read some of my latest post have been, but hey if you, like me, are in quarentine and have nothing better to do, give it a read :) )

2000 sample size from a population of 126 million is in fact tiny and irrelevant. It's literally 0.001% of the population.
It's 2,459 people, thank you.. If you are gonna round it up, why not round it up to 2,500 lol?
Just kidding, I will give you that, it seems like a small sample.. But turns out with even a small sample like that you can determine the results are accurate (I explain this at the end of the post, so please keep reading.)

There are 100s of other series out there that remain steady or still grow despite so called cannibalizing series.
And for those 100 series that remain steady there are 100s or maybe even 1000s that are gonna get canceled due to low sales, not saying that every sale is being eaten up by Kimetsu lol, just saying that for every success there's like 5 "failures".

Cancellations are a thing, go check out survivor bias. We tend to see only the popular things, but what about manga that's not published by the big publishers? We will probably never ever hear of the manga that get cancelled in the first volume.

In the website link I provided which is the association of book publishers of Japan the number is 3,489 publishers.. Just to put things into perspective, but as I said I doubt niche or unknown series get any sales "eaten" by Kimetsu or any other manga, a niche title will get their sales from their devoted fans but the same cannot be said by more mainstream titles..

Again, I repeat I'm not saying Kimetsu cannibalizes sales from these unknown manga, I just wanted to point out survivor bias since you brought up that there are 100s of series thriving, my counterpoint being that there are other 100s being cancelled (nothing to do with Kimetsu! Same as Kimetsu has nothing to do with the 100 series surviving).



Alright. Lets go with your assumption that KNY just cannibalized the sales from other manga. Why is it only MHA, TPN and HQ decreasing (following the declining trend they've been showing since before KNY) when all the others around it in WSJ alone are increasing? Why is S8 stagnant at 30k? Why is BC stagnating and not going up or down? Why is JK going up? Why is CSM going up?
And this is just WSJ. Why is Kingdom still going so strong? Why are every other series staying the same or rather showing the same trend they showed prior to KNY's boost? Because the cannibalizing effect that you speak of is moot.
MHA, TPN and HQ: They reached their peak most likely, I never specifically said anything about Kimetsu cannibalizing their sales, I think Kimetsu is eating a very, very small percentage of a lot of titles, that's what I consider cannibalizing, let's say Kimetsu "cannibalized" a very small percentage (say 1%-2%) of these mangas' sales.

I think you think I think Kimetsu is the sole reason these mangas are selling less, no, it's not, but it most certainly have "stolen" some of their volume buyers, of that I'm sure.

when all the others around it in WSJ alone are increasing?
They haven't reached their peak.

Why is BC stagnating and not going up or down? Why is JK going up? Why is CSM going up?
I don't really check BC sales, but I'd think it would slowly go down (I think it probably already reached its sales peak, I might be wrong on this one though, who knows). JK and CSM haven't reached their peak.

And this is just WSJ. Why is Kingdom still going so strong?
Popular series that probably already reached its peak, but has a steady fanbase and with its new season might get new readers, also you told me yourself it has a segment in a live tv show which gave it a boost.

Anyway, all these questions you asked me are pretty easy to answer for anyone that has been following this thread for some time. Jump series' sales patterns is pretty easy to see, it usually goes:
-Series starts.
-Series survives 9 weeks, so it continues.
-It consolidates a fanbase.
-It gets an anime.
-Anime starts, hopefully manga gets a boost in sales.
-Anime brings some new readers.
-Anime either finishes or continues (long running), the manga still continues but usually the manga will lose popularity after its anime ends (probably 1-2 years after this happens).

In a nutshell most series will reach their peak sales per volume by their 4th-5th year (this is indeed demonstrated by how Slam Dunk volume 21 was a record breaker IIRC, record broken by One Piece's volume 24, and now Kimetsu's volume 19 -and probably the upcoming volume 20- will also show us how the 4th year of serialization is a very stong indication of a series' peak). Again, obviously there will be exceptions to the rule, but you are free to check how most series get their most printed volumes around 3rd to 4th year of serialization (Talking Jump series here, mostly).

This is no coincidence since the first year is usually the "survival" year, the second year is the "consolidation", the third year (For most titles when their anime starts) is when the popularity starts rising, and the fourth year is around the time anime watchers jump the bandwagon to buy manga volumes (pun intended lol).

That's the usual for most series, I'd say 95% of manga in JUMP follow this pattern, but there are exceptions like One Piece who had a peak in its 10th year, or Kingdom as you said. But we can agree these are exceptions, not the rule.

Because the cannibalizing effect that you speak of is moot.
Again, I never said it was a "Cannibalizing effect" just "cannibalizing" which really is a term in economics, but again, you just made it sound like I think Kimetsu is eating the entirety of the sales of every manga that has lost sales. Which I totally don't, Kimetsu as I said I think might be "stealing" a very modest sum of sales, If I were to put it into a number maybe I think it's "stealing 1-2% of most shonen manga sales, I think that's a realistic number of people that stopped buying X or Y series to buy Kimetsu, the hot onew property, do you disagree that 1-2% of readers of some shonen manga decided to buy Kimetsu over other titles they buy??

I'm gonna end this post with that question and also:

And you're just vaguely assuming that people can only purchase few number of series at each time.
Did you not read the source I provided? The source that explicitly said that 37% of surveyed people (Also, the surveyed people were from 300 different parts of Japan, if you don't trust me you can check the study it was made by Asashi Shinbun, or check the link I provided, it's in chapter 4) only spent 1,000 yen or less in books per month? I'm not just coming up with random numbers, the survey literally says that 37% of asked people do that (The majority btw, since 13% don't spend money at all buying books, so 50% of people in Japan buy 2 manga volumes per month, or maybe only one).

Anyway, just a final question, and if you want just answer this one:

Let's assume that this survey represented the entirety of Japan (I know it doesn't, but for this exercise let's just assume it does and anyway, as I said this is the most official source I could come up with, I don't think there's anything better than this)..
then if this as true, what would you say about my argument of Kimetsu no Yaiba "cannibalizing" sales from other manga?

Because let me tell you something I have not mentioned, the sample size of the study 2,459 people (Not 2,000 like you said lol) is a pretty good sample size to determine what a country of 120'000,000 people do, within a margin of error of course.
Yes, the phrase of "Please don't use the low sample size as a counter-argument" in my last post was kind of a trap if you wanna call it that,
You can check this article that explains it.
Or you can even use a sample size calculator.

So basically to get a 95% confidence level of your answers being 2% apart from what most of the population of Japan (120'000,000) would say, you need a sample size of 2,401.

This means that if the surveyed people (Which is from 300 different points of Japan, across all ages and genders, so yeah it's a good sample, not just some random otaku in Akihabara or bars full of salarymen which would obviously have skewed the results) said something there is a 95% chance that the results are correct within a 2%. In this case, if 37% of Japanese said they only spend 1,000 Yen per month in books, the confidence interval (2%) means that 95% of Japan would answer between 35%-39% that they only spend 1,000 yen in books per month.

If you want to be even more accurate, let's say 99% of confidence level which in this case would need a sample size of 2,663 to get a 2.5 confidence interval. (That would mean that there is 99% certainty of the results being 2.5% apart, in this case 37% of Japanese people, so 37% -2.5%/+2.5%, so 99% that the answer would be 34.5% to 39.5% spend only 1,000 yen nationwide)


Now, I have established that the study is valid, that the vast majority (Between 35% to 39%) of Japanese people spend only 1,000 Yen per month in books (Which is roughly enough for two tankobon volumes)
Do you still think Kimetsu isn't cannibalizing sales from other manga? Because, I mean at this point.. C'mon just accept it lol.

If most of the people, in which 13% don't buy any books at all and 37% only spend 1,000 Yen or less (meaning some people might even buy only a volume per month) it's obvious that at some point they stopped buying a particular series to buy another series, this happens all the time, in this particular example being Kimetsu No Yaiba, but it's obviously not the only title that does it, a lot of titles have done so, and will continue to do it in the future.



@yadayada

Your movies example just doesn't work. To go to the cinema you need to set apart a pretty decent amount of time, like, I can't possibly spend 2 hours at 9pm at the cinema every day right? And when you consider that each movie would be coming out for only a short amount of time, it becomes easy to see why some people would prioritise a movie over another. This doesn't really happen with mangas, where all you have to do is head to the store and purchase the volumes, even multiples at once.

Not to mention the price tag difference, buying a manga costs nearly 1/3rd of watching a movie in japan, even less if you take into account other stuff like buying popcorns/drinks at the cinema.
Lots of resources are finite, I knew people would probably bring our most useful and finite resource which is time as a counter argument to mine, so I'll tell you this, my example still stands, money is still finite, other resources like space in a Japanese apartment (Which don't have lots of extra space, so people need to be selective with how many books they buy), and also you need time to read your manga too, as I said you could buy 60 volumes of manga a month..
That would be what $250 dollars per month, I guess lots of Japanese people cold have that disposable income, I wonder though if they have 60+ hours of free time per month that they would use to read said manga?

I hope you get the point of my answer, please don't reply to this anymore I don't want to continue debating over this lol.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Anime info next week for BLEACH, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Haikyu!!, and My Hero Academia according to the issue preview... still nothing for Jujutsu Kaisen
Translated (Keep in mind "New Anime Information" can also mean things like merchandise)

Haikyu!!: Season 4 Part 2 Key Visual Reveal
BLEACH: New information on the long awaited TV Anime + news for the mobile game
My Hero Academia: New Anime Information
Kimetsu no Yaiba: New Anime Information
Shokugeki no Soma: New Anime Information for Season 5
 

Pudazuka

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
163
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
"A p-p-p-p-pedo! You're a pedo!"

lmao Mashle was hilarious this week. The funny and serious moments were balanced quite well. Lance is one of the more interesting characters introduced so far, so I hope we'll see more of him. Also, the art in this chapter was so much better than usual.

GotW had its best chapter so far, at least that's my impression. The tea guy is interesting and I really liked how he made Fafner admit that he's a weakling because that's exactly my impression of him. I'm glad he realizes that much. What worries me is the "surpass me in three days"-part because Fafner will probably do just that and then once again will be portayed as I-can-block-any-attack-with-my-sword-alone-character-haha what strikes me as unrealistic and boring. Well, let's see how things turn out. This chapter was better than the previous ones at least so I have a little hope.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Still can't believe we're gonna get to see Colorido adapting a Jump property, it's gonna be amazing. Certainly not something we'd be able to get with a regular series!
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
Agravity Boys is the funniest gag manga this week imo
 

Jhonathan

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2019
Messages
337
Reaction score
387
Age
25
Country
Brazil
A question to those who are reading MHA: Does this arc also gives you endgame or near endgame vibes?
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
A question to those who are reading MHA: Does this arc also gives you endgame or near endgame vibes?
Nah, just a climax of a overarching segment, kind of like the Hideout Raid arc, I figure this is the end of "part 2" of the series and that there will be plenty more from here on out.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
A question to those who are reading MHA: Does this arc also gives you endgame or near endgame vibes?
It gives me “End of the 1st Part” vibes. Similar to the Paramount War arc of One Piece.

There’s no way MHA is wrapping up soon. But it feels like it could make a Naruto - Naruto Shippuden like transition after this arc.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, only question is who dies, how many, will there be students under the dead, was there a traitor after all in the academy and if so who, etc. But there is no way this is the final arc given how little spotlight Deku had and the story being about him becoming the new Nr.1 hero.

Another thing: I noticed lately lots of UxU fanart and I don't think I have seen the same quantity (or quality) of fanart for the other new series. Another clue that UxU is pretty popular in Japan to already get fans there drawing art after only ten chapters?
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
To Haikyuu readers, is this the first time Kageyama's backstory is revealed at all? if so, 300+ chapters is really long to reveal an important character's backstory isn't it?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Another thing: I noticed lately lots of UxU fanart and I don't think I have seen the same quantity (or quality) of fanart for the other new series. Another clue that UxU is pretty popular in Japan to already get fans there drawing art after only ten chapters?
Undead has had a ton of high-quality fan art since the very first chapter. It was popular for artists from the start. Mitama has some fan art, not as many high quality pieces as Undead by far though. I don't really see much for Yozakura, Mashle, or Agravity. Never tried looking for Witch or Zipman.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Well lul, the "fake" cover turned out to be legit
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The managka did say that Baba was weirdly popular with the readers. I still don't know how and when Baba was dating a 0.5 girl and how that puts him ahead of the other 3 who got 0...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top