Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,510
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Haato

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
64
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think Viz's Chainsaw Man logo is "better" in the way that it's a lot more memorable and good for merchandising. I can see it being slapped on t-shirts and other swag and would easily work in an anime intro.
The original logo looks great on the manga volume covers but it's sort of an awkward shape that I can't really see it being used much place else for marketing purposes, imo.
So I think Viz did a great job for making an easily recognizable logo that can be used on pretty much anything.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
You don't even read CSM so how would you know it misses the feel of the manga?
Think that's the biggest difference between a book like HP and a visual manga like CSM. You can like the visual appeal of something without reading it.

I liked S8 volume covers despite not reading it past first few chapters because I liked the visual style and coherence among all the volumes. Same way I loved all the volume covers of Assassination Classroom despite not being able to get into it as a series.

Also, I've read the first 4 chapters of CSM when it initially came out and I've been a visible big fan of the visual style of all color pages and volume covers Fujimoto has gone for.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Viz's Chainsaw Man logo is "better" in the way that it's a lot more memorable and good for merchandising. I can see it being slapped on t-shirts and other swag and would easily work in an anime intro.
The original logo looks great on the manga volume covers but it's sort of an awkward shape that I can't really see it being used much place else for marketing purposes, imo.
So I think Viz did a great job for making an easily recognizable logo that can be used on pretty much anything.
If the Japanese can create merchandise with their logo, this shouldn't have been a huge factor especially since majority of the merchandising would be just variations of the actual Japanese merchandises.
But sure, I'll agree that having an easier to recognize logo has the advantage in terms of merchandising.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire



Kimetsu pretty much got the complete package treatment by VIZ: bad logo, dubious TL choices, grammatical errors, 0 consistency, and often times I have to wonder if the translator even reads the series since a lot of things that may seem "fine" at first glance actually don't make sense with context.

Truly makes it worth being more than twice the price of the japanese release and of most of the western world, great stuff.
you now remember
them flat out refusing to add it to the line up out of sheer stubbornness
saying they don't have resources then adding Red Sprite
and going as far as to making jokes about the fans who ask about it every week despite them asking the fans to vote for series they want in the magazine in the first place

we came far KnYchads
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I found a website listing DVD/BD sales for anime that have over 10,000 copies sold across all volumes from 2000 to March 2020.

Sales figures

The highest from WSJ seems to be S1 of Haikyuu with 25470 copies. Others like Gintama, Kuroku basketball, Jojo bizarre adventure, Death Note, Kimetsu, To love ru darkness are scattered through out. What is surprising to me is the lack of long runners like naruto, bleach, one piece etc. I guess having 300+ episodes reduces the incentive to buy dvds or they weren't just added to the list because they are so long.

Edit: There was a correction I just found out. Can someone explain it?

Removed the three Bleach seasons; just tracking three seasons as normal shows and the rest as long-running was a weird distinction to make purely on the basis of the first three hitting 10k.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I found a website listing DVD/BD sales for anime that have over 10,000 copies sold across all volumes from 2000 to March 2020.

Sales figures

The highest from WSJ seems to be S1 of Haikyuu with 25470 copies. Others like Gintama, Kuroku basketball, Jojo bizarre adventure, Death Note, Kimetsu, To love ru darkness are scattered through out. What is surprising to me is the lack of long runners like naruto, bleach, one piece etc. I guess having 300+ episodes reduces the incentive to buy dvds or they weren't just added to the list because they are so long.

Edit: There was a correction I just found out. Can someone explain it?

Removed the three Bleach seasons; just tracking three seasons as normal shows and the rest as long-running was a weird distinction to make purely on the basis of the first three hitting 10k.
There's a video of the top 61 selling WSJ's anime from 2017, doesn't include KnY obviously. KnB is the highest seller.

Although with Kimetsu's popularity mainly coming after the anime, I wonder how it will impact sales for subsequent seasons.
 

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
Although with Kimetsu's popularity mainly coming after the anime, I wonder how it will impact sales for subsequent seasons.
There's always a downward sales trend for subsequent seasons of anime, not even Kimetsu's immense popularity can change that. The movie should sell a lot more though due to how different the distribution will end up (not a perfect example, but look at how the two recent Haikyu!! OVAs sold double the amount of copies compared to Season 3 and 4).
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
There's always a downward trend for the sales of subsequent seasons of anime, not even Kimetsu's immense popularity can change that. The movie should sell a lot more though due to how different the distribution will end up (not a perfect example, but look at how the two recent Haikyu!! OVAs sold double the amount of copies compared to Season 3 and 4).
Yeah I know it's usually the case that it's a downward trend. A better example would be JJBA, with how more massively popular part 3 (& part 5 arguably) compared to the rest of the parts but it didn't stop the decline. I'm still inclined to wait and see, even if I think it won't do much and the sales will probably decline. I swear there's examples of series that had a growth in BD's in later seasons but I could be wrong.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
It's incredible how little anime sales compared to manga. I guess it's true that the real extra money is in the merch.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Kimetsu BD Vol. 9 (2 episodes) - 6,500 yen
Kimetsu Manga Vol. 19 - 484 yen

:s

Movie BD vol will probably have higher sales than the TV anime volumes though.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Kimetsu BD Vol. 9 (2 episodes) - 6,500 yen
Kimetsu Manga Vol. 19 - 484 yen

:s

Movie BD vol will probably have higher sales than the TV anime volumes though.
That's like US$ 60? Then the movie bd should cost around the same prize as HF's BDs, $80~ which is 8,000 yen~
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
It's incredible how little anime sales compared to manga. I guess it's true that the real extra money is in the merch.
Yeah at the end of the day, a large part of the audience of WSJ (12-18 year old boys) can't shell out 3000+ yen for dvds or ask their parents to do so but slap Tanjiro, Luffy, Midoryia etc on a shirt, cup, poster, stickers and the like and you are golden.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland

So apparently Mizore-chan’s ending this week. I’m... not sure if this was axed by Jump+ or not.
I can't imagine they'd advertise the ending of a series with a smiley face if they were cancelling it.

It's up at almost ch 60 too (plus 16 short bonus chapters), which I think is a fairly common length for Jump+ series to end at naturally.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany

So apparently Mizore-chan’s ending this week. I’m... not sure if this was axed by Jump+ or not.
Awww, I liked that one. :c
 

KengANg

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
16
Reaction score
11
Age
29
Country
Philippines
Video Research has added new data to their weekly ratings chart. Now, they publish the nationwide average number of people who (yellow column) and the number of people who tuned in for at least one minute (middle column), with the last column showing the number of regions that were analyzed (maximum of 32). MHA 88 had an average viewership of 3,505,000 people, with a total viewership of 9,547,000 people in 28 regions. Since this data is new, there's nothing else to compare to yet, however, the most curious part of this is that OP is not on the list (the ratings point chart we've been getting only accounts for the Kantou Region.)

It is possible to see hows Black Clover doing?
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is possible to see hows Black Clover doing?
Nope, BC's ratings have never been high enough for it to show in the charts since they only publish the top 10.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
It's incredible how little anime sales compared to manga. I guess it's true that the real extra money is in the merch.
What do you expect? 4 episodes of the anime in BD form cost more than the entirety of the series in manga form. Of course it can't sell as much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top