Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
NGL I kinda dig non Inosuke and non Rengoku’s design lol
But yeah, the resemblance In some of them is undeniable
 
Last edited:

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
I feel demon slayer should run a little longer considering there are still some plot holes and it’s selling insanely well for shonen jump
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
and it’s selling insanely well for shonen jump
I'm not caught up so I can't comment on plot holes but I really don't agree with this. I'd take something like Assassination Classroom or Kuroko that end during their peak and never dip in quality over Food Wars that had its name dragged through the mud continuing past the point it really should have stopped just because it was successful.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
i think everyone here would agree that comicbook.com links should never be posted
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Also around December 2019 shonen jump has made a mobile game which includes characters from demon slayer for mobile devices
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm not caught up so I can't comment on plot holes but I really don't agree with this. I'd take something like Assassination Classroom or Kuroko that end during their peak and never dip in quality over Food Wars that had its name dragged through the mud continuing past the point it really should have stopped just because it was successful.
They could just use the jojo bizarre adventure approach and maybe use a new villain, hero, genre, battle system, and setting each part
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
They could just use the jojo bizarre adventure approach and maybe use a new villain, hero, genre, battle system, and setting each part
Jojo was probably designed to do that from the start though (Part 1 didn't even run a full year). If Goutoge planned to do that or has come up with ideas that work in the universe but not with the current cast of characters that would be fine but I also don't want Banjiro: Demon Slayer Next Generations.

As far as I'm aware none of the main cast have any current obvious love interest like Jonathan and Erina to carry on like Jojo did either.
 

haijihusbando

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
175
Reaction score
572
Country
South Korea
They could just use the jojo bizarre adventure approach and maybe use a new villain, hero, genre, battle system, and setting each part
Though continuing could potentially flesh out the plot a lot more and fill out certain gaps as you said, prolonging a series also creates a vast window of opportunity for more failure. The likely case is that eventually the series would deteriorate in quality and just introduce even more plot holes instead of fixing them. I think most issues with plot holes or the like in KnY should have been expanded on earlier in the series, but I also don't think explanations/solutions should just be shoved in at the end of the series for the sake of explanation, if that makes any sense.

The best option imo would be to have side stories or something similar which flesh out earlier parts of the series that need more substance, instead of prolonging a series for the sake of it.
I would rather a series end at its absolute peak, 'rushed' with a few plot holes, than it to drag out into infinity and completely lose all credibility and momentum as with Nanatsu.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
There's two pairings somewhat set up (mostly one-sidedly), but honestly I just don't want Kimetsu no Yaiba part 2. I love the series, it's probably my favourite modern WSJ manga, and I'd like it to have a nice complete and final ending, and for Gotouge to try a new series.

One final epilogue volume wrapping up the remaining plot threads would be nice, or maybe a couple more bonus chapters about other characters like the Giyuu one to fill up an extra volume, but it doesn't need a full part 2.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
While I would like KNY to continue if just to explain a few things like the origin of demons, it would be much better if it ended now and came back with short stories or something.

I was just rewatching the anime and damn, it still looks good. Around last year I started getting interested in the animation process of anime in general and now that I know how it looks good, everything looks 2x better. I just hope that Ufotable takes it for the long run.
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
Death note is only 12 volumes but I think we can all agree that this is one of the most popular and timeless WSJ manga.

So for the kind of story of Demon Slayer, 23 volume is enough I think. With that, Koyoharo Gotôge won't get to the point of hating her/his own manga because she/he will have to spend like 5 more years drawing Tanjiro and all.
It's better imo to start something brand new with the splendid brain of Gotôge, for she/he as for everybody.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Jojo was probably designed to do that from the start though (Part 1 didn't even run a full year). If Goutoge planned to do that or has come up with ideas that work in the universe but not with the current cast of characters that would be fine but I also don't want Banjiro: Demon Slayer Next Generations.

As far as I'm aware none of the main cast have any current obvious love interest like Jonathan and Erina to carry on like Jojo did either.
Shueisha will find a way to milk the franchise after it's done...just you wait and see..
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Weekly Sales by Series - 4/20~4/26

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba - 1,190,679
#2 Gotoubun no Hanayome
#3 Kingdom - 170,267
#4 Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 162,608
#5 One Piece - 133,192
#6 Shuumatsu no Valkyrie - 126,489
#7 Detective Conan - 105,663
#8 Shingeki no Kyojin - 96,066
#9 Haikyuu!! - 95,662
#10 Akatsuki no Yona - 90,511

Kimetsu no Yaiba's 2020 sales: 39,382,173
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I've been thinking...the whole Part structure to Jojo was a big gamble. Like, imagine if Jojo got axed 20 chapters in.
 

MrDropCombo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2019
Messages
74
Reaction score
135
Age
29
Country
United Kingdom
Please try and continuing posting, though.

The goal is to increase activity, not just to reach a milestone and then disappear back into lurking.
Yeah of course, not to worry my lurking days are gone 👌


While I do also feel that is a bit extreme I would also like to see more darker new jump series come out kind along the lines of shonen magazine manga To you the immortal/attack on titan or even some more horror/thriller manga like the Promised Neverland
Yeahhh i agree, it’s a nice way to add variety to the line up. Even an series which isn’t afraid to touch on darker themes from time to time would be appreciated
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I've been thinking...the whole Part structure to Jojo was a big gamble. Like, imagine if Jojo got axed 20 chapters in.
Knowing how much Araki forgets things and makes up new things as he goes along, I wouldn't be surprised if it was never meant to be multiple parts at first. I think he said at some point that he made stands because he thought hamon was too generic of a power system (since it was really just ki). Who knows, maybe even Hamon wasn't an idea from the start and it was just going to be drama.

I wonder if any of the current line-up will still have ongoing sequels or spin-offs 20-30 years from now. A surprising amount of the 90s (and earlier) jump manga are actually still ongoing in some way.

MHA probably has the most potential for spin-off manga due to all the different heroes it could be about, and of course lots of sequel potential with the kids becoming pro heroes.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top