Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That's a pretty bold statement, no other mangas than One Piece ever was able to sell as much after a long run. It's arguably the best written manga of all time. Even Naruto and Dragon Ball sales were starting to go way down at the end. Look at Detective Conan right now... Once was one of the biggest thing in the world and still is (overall sales), but in the past couple years D.C. sales have been pretty bad, because people are getting bored with due to it getting too long, people somehow don't get bored of One Piece.
I remember a recent Interview that Oda or maybe one of his editors said that the manga would probably be ending in the next 5 years. So something around 2024/2025.

Nearly the hole fanbase agreed that 5 years would not be enough or would be rushed. Yeah, that's right... RUSHED. And it's true. 5 years to end a 24 year manga who has nearly 1000 chapters would not be enough.

It's weird man. OP is on a level of his own.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why is that everybody is sure(100%)that demon slayer will reach 100 milion life time sales?

It currently has reached 44 milion life time sales and it has 2 volumes left(one currently out and one for the future) even assuming each volume would reach 4 milion copies in sales that's would still be 84 milion copies sold.

Yes it's possible to reach 100 milion (and it probably will and I will eat my words) but its still a bit early to say with absolute certainty that it would reach 100 milion sales.

Also there is no need to drag others down to make demon slayer look good(yes the one piece fandom has shit people in it, but what fandom doesnt) , 470 million is an incridibly high number its the third most sold title world wide(batman and super man are ahead and they started selling from the 1930s).
Kimetsu no Yaiba's lifetime sales are actually at 57 million (with 60 million in circulation) and it has another 3 volumes to release, not counting volume 20 which is already out.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Having said that, I'm certain KnY would have beaten OP's lifetime sales if it ran for a few more years. Especially if the movie boosts it further.
LOL sorry but Kimetsu would need way more than just "a few more years" to even come close to OP's lifetime sales, you're also implying that the series wouldn't decline which is basically inevitable the longer a series is, even if Kimetsu had 50 volumes and each volume sold 9 million copies it would still be behind OP
 

Lord fifth

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
176
Reaction score
197
Age
27
Country
Israel
I wasn't saying it was the only important thing, just arguably the most.

Having said that, I'm certain KnY would have beaten OP's lifetime sales if it ran for a few more years. Especially if the movie boosts it further.
This assumes it maintains it current popularity which is impossible, one piece exploded in 2009-2012 but after that it returned to normal and is declining right know.

You forget that most long running series experience decline and if the author extends the story past it natural end the decline would be harder(for exampel if after luffy found the one piece Oda conteniue the manga the sales would drop)
I understand your point, but I answer it is because it really is the only argument that some One Piece fans grab - since it is the only record that Demon Dlayer has failed to beat, and never will. But DS reminds me a lot of FMA. You don't need to have more millions than other manga for your work to be the best one. Be considered a cultural thing because it marked an era. A clear example is the FMA anime. Over the years I have systematically seen fans choose FMA as the best anime ever. Obviously it is somewhat subjective, but in general you see that the majority choose the same anime, that means that said mangaka and studios are completely calm. Because they have accomplished a job that few have accomplished.
Is Oda panicking? I don't get it?

Oda hadn't spoken against demon slayer nor was he telling people to go buy more volumes.

Also the one piece anime sucks, it adpats one chapter per episode for god sakes.

Every opinion is subjective for some people black clover is better than one piece, demon slayer, naruto...

For others it's fairy tail.

For others it's hunter x hunter or berserk or death note or the world's end harem(yes there are people that claim this) ....

You get the point there is no objectively superior manga because if we are objective about manga we wouldn't be able to decide which one is superior because that would require us to put objective standards to quality and thats impossible.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
LOL sorry but Kimetsu would need way more than just "a few more years" to even come close to OP's lifetime sales, you're also implying that the series wouldn't decline which is basically inevitable the longer a series is, even if Kimetsu had 50 volumes and each volume sold 9 million copies it would still be behind OP
I mean, if you're counting worldwide numbers yeah, but One Piece has 390 million in circulation in Japan, if Kimetsu no Yaiba had 50 volumes and each of them sold 9 million it would beat One Piece by a large margin.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Why is that everybody is sure(100%)that demon slayer will reach 100 milion life time sales?

It currently has reached 44 milion life time sales and it has 2 volumes left(one currently out and one for the future) even assuming each volume would reach 4 milion copies in sales that's would still be 84 milion copies sold.

Yes it's possible to reach 100 milion (and it probably will and I will eat my words) but its still a bit early to say with absolute certainty that it would reach 100 milion sales.

Also there is no need to drag others down to make demon slayer look good(yes the one piece fandom has shit people in it, but what fandom doesnt) , 470 million is an incridibly high number its the third most sold title world wide(batman and super man are ahead and they started selling from the 1930s).
There's still 3 volumes left to release. Vol 20 just came out and there'll be 23 volumes total.

If every volume reaches 4 million (which could even happen this year at the rate they're growing, especially when the movie releases) that's 92 million sold. Add in sales of the current novels and databook, that's an extra million, maybe more? And we're also getting more novels and possibly side stories/spin-offs that'll probably add another million+.

And then, after all that, we still have 130-140 manga chapters left to adapt after the movie, that's at least 2 seasons, possibly 3 depending on pacing and length. And no doubt we'll see a live action movie or two at some point as well, all of which will likely add a bit more backlog sales. Kimetsu no Yaiba will definitely hit 100 million lifetime sales, maybe not this year but it will in the next few years.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I got a survey pop up on Manga+ asking about the service. Questions including what I liked about the service, what I thought needed improving, how much I'd be willing to pay for a monthly subscription, individual backlog chapters and digital volumes.
There was also a section on what series I'd like to see on Manga+ that included stuff like Yuuna and various unlicensed Jump SQ and Jump+ series (including Ruroni Kenshin)
It seems the survey is only via the app and not in the web version. Its actually nice to see that atleast they are thinking of improving M+ with more titles and such, although they specify in the pay suscription part that they dont have plans of it yet.
 

Lord fifth

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
176
Reaction score
197
Age
27
Country
Israel
Kimetsu no Yaiba's lifetime sales are actually at 57 million (with 60 million in circulation) and it has another 3 volumes to release, not counting volume 20 which is already out.
Isn't volume 19 being released right now in Japan?
I remember a recent Interview that Oda or maybe one of his editors said that the manga would probably be ending in the next 5 years. So something around 2024/2025.

Nearly the hole fanbase agreed that 5 years would not be enough or would be rushed. Yeah, that's right... RUSHED. And it's true. 5 years to end a 24 year manga who has nearly 1000 chapters would not be enough.

It's weird man. OP is on a level of his own.
It won't be rushed.
People assume that there are 5 arcs left:elbaf,raftel,black beard, gorosei, load star.

But I would bet that oda is planning on combining black beard and raftel into one arc.

And also people forget that 5 years means a minimum of 200 chapters which is nearly the entire manga of my hero academya
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Isn't volume 19 being released right now in Japan?
No. Vol 20 was the one that just came out today.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
If you enter Mangaplus via mobile app, a questionnaire will pop up.

Question 7 is interesting:


Mangaplus is asking about Yuuna-san, Prince of Tennis, 2.5 Dimensional Girl, Kemono Jihen, Bokyaku Battery, Matou Seihei no Slave, etc.

Basically the remaining Jump titles they don't have in the english or spanish catalogue (Haikyuu or Chainsawman for example are there because it isn't in the spanish catalogue, I think), plus J+ or SQ titles (for some reason, Moriarty isn't there).
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
That's a pretty bold statement, no other mangas than One Piece ever was able to sell as much after a long run. It's arguably the best written manga of all time. Even Naruto and Dragon Ball sales were starting to go way down at the end. Look at Detective Conan right now... Once was one of the biggest thing in the world and still is (overall sales), but in the past couple years D.C. sales have been pretty bad, because people are getting bored with due to it getting too long, people somehow don't get bored of One Piece.
One Piece is not the best written manga of all time. It could be your favorite, but there are many flaws and other series that are far superior in terms of writing.
But that's ok. One Piece is a great manga overall and it's consistency in length is something that needs to be praised.

But again, people are getting bored of One Piece, which is why it's sales are constantly dropping with each volume.

The argument Buranchi made is that had KNY been a longer series, it could've overtaken One Piece's lifetime sales. This is not impossible especially considering the fact that we have still not seen KNY's peak in volume sales. The advantage OP has is it's length and therefore volume count.

Why is that everybody is sure(100%)that demon slayer will reach 100 milion life time sales?

It currently has reached 44 milion life time sales and it has 2 volumes left(one currently out and one for the future) even assuming each volume would reach 4 milion copies in sales that's would still be 84 milion copies sold.
60 million in circulation right now with Vol 20 just being released. If each volume does 3.5-4 million (which they most likely will), that's 90ish million in Japan by this year (probably). It'll definitely hit 100 million by next year's end. The biggest surprise would be if it didn't hit 100 million.
 

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You get the point there is no objectively superior manga because if we are objective about manga we wouldn't be able to decide which one is superior because that would require us to put objective standards to quality and thats impossible.
I disagre with this so much. I don't want to get too deep into this because this type of discussion never truly has an ending and kind is off topic. But for example, FMA is one of the greatest shounen histories ever written. However, I prefer Bleach. I know that FMA is objectively superior but I like Bleach more. But that kind of statement can only be made If there's a huge discrepancy or If the genres are the same like in the example. That wouldn't work If was HxH and FMA, or FMA and Haikyuu.

Regardless the DS x OP sales. I don't think that the most impressive thing about OP sales is the total number, but the consistency year by year. I don't think DS would be able to sustain that level of quality and Sales consistency to be able to surpass OP in a few years. Either way, we'll never know since it's ending. Hahaha
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
As much as I am hype about demon slayer my expectations for this manga are extremely high considering the unique setup. I seriously hope this is good and becomes a hit because shonen jump needs it right now considering TPN, haikyuu, we never learn and Demon Slayer are ending by the end of 2020/ early 2021 and one piece is going to be on constant hiatus. This can be a huge chance for it to be an instant success considering how huge next issue will be but that will depend on the strength of the first chapter.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I got a survey pop up on Manga+ asking about the service. Questions including what I liked about the service, what I thought needed improving, how much I'd be willing to pay for a monthly subscription, individual backlog chapters and digital volumes.
There was also a section on what series I'd like to see on Manga+ that included stuff like Yuuna and various unlicensed Jump SQ and Jump+ series (including Ruroni Kenshin)
I hate that the app forces me Spanish as system language because my mobile is set on Brazilian Portuguese, and I can't even change it... (I tried sending them a feedback by the web browser version but the "send" button doesn't work???)

I read mangas in MangaPlus from the English Catalog, but as the survey was in Spanish, it just considered the Spanish catalog, so in the section where they ask what manga I want on MangaPlus, there was a lot of options I already read in English... (I choose Mitama Security just to support the series lol).

Anyway, this survey is really cool, and I really hope they add a paid version in the future, even thought the dollar is as high as ever here in Brazil and probably the price would not be worth it to us :/
 

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
As much as I am hype about demon slayer my expectations for this manga are extremely high considering the unique setup. I seriously hope this is good and becomes a hit because shonen jump needs it right now considering TPN, haikyuu, we never learn and Demon Slayer are ending by the end of 2020/ early 2021 and one piece is going to be on constant hiatus. This can be a huge chance for it to be an instant success considering how huge next issue will be but that will depend on the strength of the first chapter.
I'm expecting Chainsaw Man levels of weird but with time travel.
 

Lord fifth

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
176
Reaction score
197
Age
27
Country
Israel
One Piece is not the best written manga of all time. It could be your favorite, but there are many flaws and other series that are far superior in terms of writing.
But that's ok. One Piece is a great manga overall and it's consistency in length is something that needs to be praised
What series are far superior to one piece and by what standards?

Judging quality of something is subjective, people have preferences and the people who made the standards by which we judge writing are subjective themselves.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Everything has flaws there is no perfect manga,and that's obvious but there are people who can tolerate certain flaws to varying degrees (many people don't like dragged on fights, but each person has a different opinion on when the fight becomes dragged on)
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I hate that the app forces me Spanish as system language because my mobile is set on Brazilian Portuguese, and I can't change it...

I read mangas in MangaPlus from the English Catalog, but as the survey was in Spanish, it just considered the Spanish catalog, so in the section where they ask what manga I want on MangaPlus, there was a lot of options I already read in English... (I choose Mitama Security just to support the series lol).

Anyway, this survey is really could, and I really hope they add a paid version in the future, even thought the dollar is as high as ever here in Brazil and probably the price would not be worth it to us :/
More or less in the same boat as you about the paid option. The dollar's been going up and down in my country, but not by much and it still is expensive. That said, I don't mind paying a buck a pop for a single issue. A bit expensive for monthly expenses here, but I can somewhat manage, I hope. The only thing I really, really hope for is for them (or more specifically, Shueisha) to partner up with one of our local start-ups so we can pay through their e-wallet apps. That's basically the most popular payment method here.

I do know at least that our biggest start-up has already teamed up with the "cool Japan" initiative. Maybe they could go through that channel.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I hate that the app forces me Spanish as system language because my mobile is set on Brazilian Portuguese, and I can't even change it... (I tried sending them a feedback by the web browser version but the "send" button doesn't work???)

I read mangas in MangaPlus from the English Catalog, but as the survey was in Spanish, it just considered the Spanish catalog, so in the section where they ask what manga I want on MangaPlus, there was a lot of options I already read in English... (I choose Mitama Security just to support the series lol).

Anyway, this survey is really cool, and I really hope they add a paid version in the future, even thought the dollar is as high as ever here in Brazil and probably the price would not be worth it to us :/
That was pretty sad for me also, i chose the lowest price option in every question because our currency is... bad. Even a few months ago I would be willing to pay considerably more, but now...

Anyway, I voted for boukyaku battery because I really want to read it, maybe it means they are considering it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top