Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,572
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
But what you're looking for would be solved in just 3 chapters, and there would be no more history.
That's what I said before, this is a story about a guy who made a mistake and will pay for that mistake in the future, only now is not the time for that.
when (or IF) these things get course corrected in the future I will be more than happy to change my mind about this manga

but as things stands now I don't like the mc or the direction
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
TPN is doing a fairly decent job adding one last emotional touch. I wonder what the end result will be.

Dr Stone is fully back up to speed now.

Time Paradox is losing me. Dude, who cares if she might not want to rewrite the story if she learns the truth? That should be HER decision, not yours. At this point, you are committing a crime.

Bone Collection might have potential as a story if the characters weren't acting like literal toddlers.

UU was great. So glad they acknowledged that people can be affected by this stuff. Even their infodumps are fun.

Too bad I can't say the same about Mitama. It's not that I dislike the story, but there must be more exciting ways to present this than to have everyone standing still in the same place and talking the entire chapter.

Moriking picked a wonderful time for a joke about overreacting trigger-happy cops trying to murder someone because of his appearance. I can't see this go wrong at all. (I know it's probably unintended, but that never stopped people from complaining before.)

Guardian of the Witch feels like it already ended, and it annoys me. There's still two chapters to go, right? Why couldn't they take those machines and fly the rest of the way to their goal, then there could've been some attempt at a conclusion. Instead the mangaka has apparently decided to just have them walk around for two more weeks and then quit in the middle of the story, which is a shame.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
If Guardian is pretty much guaranteed to end now with those chapter IDs, I guess that brings us the question of who's #4 for this batch, Agravity Boys or Mitama? One sells well but places badly, while one places well but sells badly.

Or maybe they'll even end both of them together and just leave an extra spot open for a few weeks until Burn the Witch starts.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I guess that brings us the question of who's #4 for this batch, Agravity Boys or Mitama? One sells well but places badly, while one places well but sells badly.
I would probably change "sells well" to sells better for Agravity Boys. It does sell a few times better than Mitama, but otherwise, it's still the second-lowest selling series in the magazine (already excluding GotW since it's ending).
 

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I understand all the flaws that you guys are pointing towards TPG. But isn't kinda early to that kind of critic? It's been only 4 chapters. And from what I've seen until now, it's really well written.

And when It comes to the MC, I find interesting that he's not all that likeable. I don't need to like the acts or the personality of a character to find him interesting, complex or well written. It's actually refreshing to have a MC at WSJ that doesn't fit the mold.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
when (or IF) these things get course corrected in the future I will be more than happy to change my mind about this manga

but as things stands now I don't like the mc or the direction
Okay, you don't like the protagonist.
But as I said it is a story thought to be a series (even if it risks being canceled 17 chapters or something).
It is not a mini series, it is still early to happen certain things.
 

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
I don't read Mitama (I probably should), but why is everyone saying it feels like it is ending. Is the plot being resolved right now?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I understand all the flaws that you guys are pointing towards TPG. But isn't kinda early to that kind of critic? It's been only 4 chapters. And from what I've seen until now, it's really well written.

And when It comes to the MC, I find interesting that he's not all that likeable. I don't need to like the acts or the personality of a character to find him interesting, complex or well written. It's actually refreshing to have a MC at WSJ that doesn't fit the mold.
This is WSJ, it's not too early. In this magazine you need people to like your manga from the very beginning, because series that fail to get an audience in the first 3-4 chapters (or start well but quickly drop) tend to get cancelled very fast.

The first 3-4 chapters are incredibly important in this magazine.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
This is WSJ, it's not too early. In this magazine you need people to like your manga from the very beginning, because series that fail to get an audience in the first 3-4 chapters (or start well but quickly drop) tend to get cancelled very fast.

The first 3-4 chapters are incredibly important in this magazine.
Whatever, it is still too early for the guy to do all that you are charging.
There are other ways to make people like a story without having to speed up the plot.
 

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is WSJ, it's not too early. In this magazine you need people to like your manga from the very beginning, because series that fail to get an audience in the first 3-4 chapters (or start well but quickly drop) tend to get cancelled very fast.

The first 3-4 chapters are incredibly important in this magazine.
Well, I understand that. And I think TPG has actually been quite popular and good for the most part, right?

It has a great premise, a great first chapter, good art, and the later chapters, in my opinion, are really good. Better than most, If not all, of the other newbies.

I think that some of the things that are been criticized are premature.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Best chapters this week for me are: WNL, Chainsaw Man, Act-Age and Moriking

Neverland was good after so many time but I don't believe this will remain for the final chapter..
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Now that I noticed. We are saying that all the jump manga of 2016 have been completed.
But we forget that Boruto also debuted in 2016, even though he was transferred to V-jump.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
Best chapters this week for me are: WNL, Chainsaw Man, Act-Age and Moriking

Neverland was good after so many time but I don't believe this will remain for the final chapter..
There seems to be a trend where the second last chapters are better than the actual last chapter, like KnY, Naruto, recently Yuuna...
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Finally got to read the chapters, Act Age and Chainsawman were both great, the former sure had a nice twist and the latter was a nice breather like the previous chapter, tho can feel it is the calm before the storm. Mashle also had a great chapter, the characters interacting was hella nice and fun.

Time Paradox sure has people taking sides lol, I'm enjoying tho can see were people that aren't liking it are coming from, guess it depends on how the author handles the story and the characters, tho the ending definitely could of gone other way but it is what it is. Moriking is fun NGL, wonder how it will do next week in its first placement.

Looking forward to Ayakashi next week too
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
For those who aren't exactly feeling TPGW right now, could you all see it potentially being better with binged reading? After say a few volumes are out?

For me, i completely understand some of the criticisms. But for me I pretty much expect that the MC will get some type of consequence at some point. I don't view his colleagues and everyone praising him to be for the purpose of the reader feeling sympathetic towards him. I see it as it being set up for things to end up worse for him once everything starts falling apart for him. Like, the fact that they're gaining so much respect for him is going to make them feel even more betrayed once they figure out his secret.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
I understand all the flaws that you guys are pointing towards TPG. But isn't kinda early to that kind of critic? It's been only 4 chapters. And from what I've seen until now, it's really well written.

And when It comes to the MC, I find interesting that he's not all that likeable. I don't need to like the acts or the personality of a character to find him interesting, complex or well written. It's actually refreshing to have a MC at WSJ that doesn't fit the mold.
The problem is that he's not very interesting either (for now). Sure, the MC doesn't need to be good or likeable, but he needs to be 1) somewhat relatable and 2) make you want to follow his story. If he's a complete lunatic whose actions are incomprehensible to most people, the manga will probably have a niche audience at best. But if he is easy to understand and boring, it's not going to work either (unless there are other characters that can carry the story).

In this case, I think the MC might be TOO relatable for all of the wrong reasons (again, for now). He is confronted with a choice between righteousness and convenience, and - rather than doing the right thing or going full villain - he keeps waffling back and forth, not wanting to give up on his stolen privilege but not fully committing either because he feels guilty and he doesn't want to see himself as a bad guy, so he keeps making excuses and lets the opinions of others drive him rather than to decide for himself. For most people, that's very recognisable (who hasn't ever felt guilty over something, but pussied out when they had to make a hard decision?), but it's also something they are not proud of... and very few people like to read about a character that reminds them of themselves in their weakest and most shameful moments. We read stories to indulge in a fantasy, not to see our own mundane flaws reflected in an equally flawed and mundane character who is basically just going along with whatever direction his entourage pushes him in, especially when said character is supposed to be a hero. That's just boring and uncomfortable, and not what most WSJ readers signed up for.

(I still hope he tells her before publishing the first chapter. Watching good people get pushed into doing bad things and suffering for it is about just as depressing as people doing bad things and getting away with it, IMO. And it's clear that his guilt is affecting him more and more already.)


I don't read Mitama (I probably should), but why is everyone saying it feels like it is ending. Is the plot being resolved right now?
Mitama doesn't really have much of a plot to speak of, but they are talking about the future of the MC, which is about as resolving as it gets. For me personally, the ending vibes were strongest when the author suddenly introduced like 20 new characters only to play them off as quick jokes in last week's chapter. It felt like they had a lot of ideas planned and wanted to use them all before it was over.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,572
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #27 - BOTH WAYS OF VOTE​

The poll for issue #27 is now open HERE!

Alongside the last Yuuna chapter, the extra series for vote this week are:

-Blue Exorcist 121
-Seraph of the End 91
-World Trigger 197
-Jigokuraku 100


Good votes!
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
My Hero Academia and Chainsaw Man continue to be stellar, although Chainsaw Man has always maintained this in my eyes. Great chapter for Akiyama, leading to a weirdly wholesome end to the chapter.

I can't wait to binge the entire MHA arc once it's finished. Think this might finally be the arc that I enjoy more than Kamino Ward, not sure yet.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,572
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't read Mitama (I probably should), but why is everyone saying it feels like it is ending. Is the plot being resolved right now?
Tsurun just introduced the "most evil spirit user of Secureity" in this chapter and Joh is training to master a technique, you can't get more "endgame" than that, specially considering the timing, unless he's trolling everybody but no other newbie (despite GotW) is showing signs of ending.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
The problem is that he's not very interesting either (for now). Sure, the MC doesn't need to be good or likeable, but he needs to be 1) somewhat relatable and 2) make you want to follow his story. If he's a complete lunatic whose actions are incomprehensible to most people, the manga will probably have a niche audience at best. But if he is easy to understand and boring, it's not going to work either (unless there are other characters that can carry the story).

In this case, I think the MC might be TOO relatable for all of the wrong reasons (again, for now). He is confronted with a choice between righteousness and convenience, and - rather than doing the right thing or going full villain - he keeps waffling back and forth, not wanting to give up on his stolen privilege but not fully committing either because he feels guilty and he doesn't want to see himself as a bad guy, so he keeps making excuses and lets the opinions of others drive him rather than to decide for himself. For most people, that's very recognisable (who hasn't ever felt guilty over something, but pussied out when they had to make a hard decision?), but it's also something they are not proud of... and very few people like to read about a character that reminds them of themselves in their weakest and most shameful moments. We read stories to indulge in a fantasy, not to see our own mundane flaws reflected in an equally flawed and mundane character who is basically just going along with whatever direction his entourage pushes him in, especially when said character is supposed to be a hero. That's just boring and uncomfortable, and not what most WSJ readers signed up for.

(I still hope he tells her before publishing the first chapter. Watching good people get pushed into doing bad things and suffering for it is about just as depressing as people doing bad things and getting away with it, IMO. And it's clear that his guilt is affecting him more and more already.)
Look, the choices that the protagonist has taken up to the present moment in history are the choice that any human being with defects and flaws would take.
Even if it is a wrong decision it is still a natural decision of any person in a moment of total defeat.
And it is certain that he will end up being punished, after all I believe that this is the natural path of the manga.
It's okay that you haven't sympathized with him but I see a lot of people sympathizing with him and the cast presented so far.
I will repeat what I said before, even if the manga is canceled, it is not yet time for punishment, it will come but it will not be next week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top