Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,573
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mashle's official Twitter account saying the first volume got instant reprints due to strong sales. They comment that they couldn't announce it earlier because they were waiting until the reprints were ready to be shipped out. They thank everyone for reading the series and that they'll be able to buy new volumes soon.

TIME TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE.

Team Mash.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Well, there it is. I'm a little disappointed, because I vastly prefer long running series. I just hope that his feelings have changed since that interview. Hopefully the series still has several years to go and I'm just feeling paranoid. It's not like Fujimoto couldn't extend it if he wanted.
I’m actually glad it is a short series (unless it’s being rushed). I love when authors get to end there series when they want to rather than being forced to write 10 more years of poorly written arcs. I’d rather it be a short and legendary series rather than a long ok or even downright bad series. 9/10 when jump tries to milk a series to last more than intended the quality tends to go down drastically and can result in a unfulfilling story. What’s even worst once they lose enough popularity it starts to get rushed either due to the author being tired of writing it or shonen jump just goes and axe the series. I mean look at how dragon ball, naruto, bleach, and food wars vs demon slayer, death note, video girl ai, and assignation classroom.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not saying that Fujimoto shouldn't do as he wishes. I'm just disappointed because weekly shonen jump manga is one of the few joys in my life. I love anticipating every week, waking up to spoilers, etc.

When it's no longer there week to week, I quickly sink into a depression. I *need* something to look forward to. There's no guarantee that a new series will capture my attention in the same way, so while I'm hopeful something will, I don't expect it.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I’m actually glad it is a short series (unless it’s being rushed). I love when authors get to end there series when they want to rather than being forced to write 10 more years of poorly written arcs. I’d rather it be a short and legendary series rather than a long ok or even downright bad series. 9/10 when jump tries to milk a series to last more than intended the quality tends to go down drastically and can result in a unfulfilling story. What’s even worst once they lose enough popularity it starts to get rushed either due to the author being tired of writing it or shonen jump just goes and axe the series. I mean look at how dragon ball, naruto, bleach, and food wars vs rurouni kenshin, death note, video girl ai, and assignation classroom.
You should probably take Rurouni Kenshin out of your argument. I'm not sure if you're just assuming otherwise due to the series legacy. However most of the fanbase I've always seen and am of the opinion myself that the series should have ended with the Kyoto arc
The final Jinjuu arc isn't anywhere near as good as anything that came before it.

The only good thing that came from it was the magnificent Trust and Betrayal OVA which expanded on the flashback of Kenshin's past and changes a fair amount, and has a completely different, far more serious tone and atmosphere.
However in the manga form it's just another bad Jump final arc that kept going after it peaked.
Let's try and only use a series as an example if you've actually read them.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I'm not saying that Fujimoto shouldn't do as he wishes. I'm just disappointed because weekly shonen jump manga is one of the few joys in my life. I love anticipating every week, waking up to spoilers, etc.

When it's no longer there week to week, I quickly sink into a depression. I *need* something to look forward to. There's no guarantee that a new series will capture my attention in the same way, so while I'm hopeful something will, I don't expect it.
Maybe you should read more beside weeklies.
Reading a lot of finished manga makes me appreciate concise and tight plot more than ever.
Some of the best experience I got with manga are from oneshot anthologies. You can't go any shorter than that.
After all, there are more to manga than just catching up week by week with Weekly Shounen Jump.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That's 2 Iwashiro assistants returning to publication in a very short time. I like the color page and I hope Tamura will find success with this title.
UxU's position is a surprise to me but I expect it to rise soo enough
UU is 9th place due all the unranked fresh series and CPs. Lowest rank is 13th with Bokuben. It gonna take a while till we get 14th and 15th places again in the ranks.

Man, the Cop looks so much like a grown up Himekawa who unbleached his hair and gave up on the old-fashioned hairdo. XD

final saga babyy
Final saga for the next three years, bro! :super

I wonder if the recent stand against the police will affect this new series
I doubt that. Police in Japan is quite respected and their kill rate per year is like 1/1000 of what Cops in Murica achieve.

I'm not saying that Fujimoto shouldn't do as he wishes. I'm just disappointed because weekly shonen jump manga is one of the few joys in my life. I love anticipating every week, waking up to spoilers, etc.

When it's no longer there week to week, I quickly sink into a depression. I *need* something to look forward to. There's no guarantee that a new series will capture my attention in the same way, so while I'm hopeful something will, I don't expect it.
For all we know the so called final big bad guy could be a ruse from Fujimoto so this could still keep going even after the "final arc" by Fujimoto going "got'cha all! The real final arc begins now! This was just the leading up to it arc!".^^
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I doubt that. Police in Japan is quite respected and their kill rate per year is like 1/1000 of what Cops in Murica achieve.
Not sure if you realize this was there are protests in Japan as well over police brutality regarding both national and international incidents like BLM
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I'm pretty sure that not every wsj series have to last 300/500 chapters lol. If CSM is heading to its endgame, I'm not surprised. I never thought of this series being a long runner tbh. At most 100, 120~ chapters.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Not sure if you realize this was there are protests in Japan as well over police brutality regarding both national and international incidents like BLM
I read that, but that was solidarity marches for the USA marches not "our japanese police forces are so racist killers they need to be put at a leash" marches. They surely got their bad apples with corrupt cops working for Yakuzas and looking the other way or certain kinds of people getting more controlled than others, but since Japan has like what 2-3% foreigners in the whole country the whole race issue isn't as overblown there as it is in USA where Cops control blacks in nice cares so often they even stop black prosecutors, judges and senators because they might be drug lords in a nice car. Or arrest black Congressmen who are trying to mediate between the police forces and protesters after emptying a pepper-spray can in their face because they didn't even look at his credentials. Or just beat down and arrest journalists because they are the "enemy" who report badly about them poor cops.

So again, this issue in America? Won't matter to Japanese readers of Hard Boiled and Dolphin. They will judge it on other criteria.

I wonder more what rank Timeparadox Ghostwriter will get next week because that should be its first rank. Probably Top5 but I was pleasant wrong on Moriking and surprisingly wrong on BoneC so I dunno how the Japanese Audience ranked the first TPG chapter.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that not every wsj series have to last 300/500 chapters lol. If CSM is heading to its endgame, I'm not surprised. I never thought of this series being a long runner tbh. At most 100, 120~ chapters.
Need to at least reach 150s else people will claim it was cancelled.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I wonder if the recent stand against the police will affect this new series
You know... we’re less than two days out from the official release of this new manga... and Viz hasn’t tweeted jack shit about licensing it. I think for the other two series, they made a tweet about about licensing it 3 days out before it’s release. But here we are, and nothing. I suppose they can still announce it tomorrow, since that’s three days before the usual Sunday release. But I still find it a little odd, and it would only make sense if we take the US’s anti-police sentiment into account.

I suspect that they’ll translate it but not say a damn peep about it. Or maybe they won’t translate it at all for the time being.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I think you are ignoring the fact that kimetsu no yaiba ended without warning that it was at the end of the story.
If Gotouge did that, I have no doubt that Fujimoto will not do the same thing. After all, he always had a lot of freedom inside the jump.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Yeah,because police brutality against foreigners in Japan isn't a recognized issue...
We had this discussion a few days ago and Halloween asked us to drop it. Let's not pick it up again.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
You know... we’re less than two days out from the official release of this new manga... and Viz hasn’t tweeted jack shit about licensing it. I think for the other two series, they made a tweet about about licensing it 3 days out before it’s release. But here we are, and nothing. I suppose they can still announce it tomorrow, since that’s three days before the usual Sunday release. But I still find it a little odd, and it would only make sense if we take the US’s anti-police sentiment into account.

I suspect that they’ll translate it but not say a damn peep about it. Or maybe they won’t translate it at all for the time being.
3rd party translation HYPE
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
Due to Corona and the constant breaks, I doubt One Piece will end in 5-6 years at all.

Other than the Yonkou saga, there is not much things to cover other than Laugh Tale and toppling the World Government. Some want arcs like Elbaf, but we don’t really have time for that.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Need to at least reach 150s else people will claim it was cancelled.
I mean people never claimed that Death Note was cancelled either, despite ending with just 108 chapters. I think Chainsaw Man is popular enough to tell that, in case it gets a good and not rushed ending with just over 100 chapters, it isn't being cancelled but just concluding normally. Especially if the readers get the feeling that everything has been resolved, similar to Death Note.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Yeah,because police brutality against foreigners in Japan isn't a recognized issue...
We had this discussion a few days ago and Halloween asked us to drop it. Let's not pick it up again.
What matters is not whether there's an issue or not, it's what society at large thinks. I don't really think the Japanese have a bad opinion of their police force.


That said...are things really that bad in the US that Viz would catch flack for publishing a manga starring a cop? That sounds a little ridiculous.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guys, the spoilers for the next chapter of Time Paradox Ghostwriter are out, and they're *very* significant. They're worth discussing, but this thread isn't the best place for it.


If you guys don't mind early spoilers, that is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top