Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,523
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin: The title makes sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more sense now. Like before I had no idea what this little girl could have to do with dolphins. Now I know. Didn't expected that, gotta be honest. I do wonder though how much work this hard-boiled cop can find on this island. Also he is totally Himekawa. And lol about the smoking part, you can really see how much society change effects a mangaka compared to his former works where smoking was hardly an issue and now it is. xD
I liked the first chapter, but compared to Magu-chan and others like Moriking or Mashle, it wasn't as good, felt a bit aimless so far.

BnHA: If I were an adult I would totally whoop those kids asses, like green and blue. If I were their parents those kids would be grounded until they are adults then they can go and do as they please but damn, kids, your lives are not your own, you know? You can't just do stuff like that and always expect to get away scotfree with no consequences whatsoever, oh wait, you pretty much did so far, so why change a working system...

Haikyu!: Anyone else feels like this could end in half a dozen or ten chapters? Lots of hyping here.

Magu-chan:
Ren's a sneaky boi, getting in a date using coupons. And a good guy who we should all pity for falling for dense Ruru-chan.^^
Also how come nobody questioned anything about Magu-chan out there in public and you know doing god of destruction stuff? Is this Moriking all over again?

AA: Liked the cover, like three different versions of Kei. <3
That meeting though, damn, that was one hell of a meeting! Poor Satsuki-chan is already growing grey hairs at the young age of 8 due her junior Kei. XDDD

TPW:
Saw that development coming, called it from first chapter, but I don't like how it came to be. One it came a few chapters too late for my taste given this is the ultimate goal for this series, two why this way like who send that message couldn't it have been done in a more believable way like what happened with WT taking more and more breaks and third how is Teppei supposed to resolve this on his own? He needs a partner for that for obvious reasons he himself has stated over and over again not only this but also the past chapters. Thus I expected him to have Aino as a partner not do this solo. Oh well.

Dr.Stone: Woha, dude, chill! Power-hungry much, are we? Gotta admit I did read that manga about those two brothers becoming astronauts and I had no idea they had such a specific credit card. Pretty interesting.

AT: Suzu a glutton, a cute glutton! Matsuri is a perv, lol, have some manners, bro. xD I guess this chapter clarifies how much fanservice we can expect in the future as well as what the ultimate goal of this series is: Have Matsuri return to be a boy otherwise Suzu will totally hit that cute butt xD. Also nice development at the end there.

Moriking: Cool new King, I like this. We should rename the series to Moripet though. Who knew raising bugs is that difficult?^^

Mashle: Super creepy. I like it.

BoneC: I know Japan seems to love this but I just can't get into it...

JjK: JesusfuckingChristonaPogostick! Like dude! There is a word you could use called "no", you know?!?

BC: I don't read that one.

Yozakura: Oh look, it's new character Nr.246. She's cute. That's pretty much it.

UU: I liked the cover infodump for information that would seem weird and out of place or easily overread in the flow of panels but as a cover you can both have the character pose and give some information to the readers. I had no idea suits and dresses were this expensive... Also liked the callback to one of the Union's finished Quests and what consequences it had for the world and the negators. Also Unrepair got quite the crew, huh? I liked the 4 ways Andy stated Negators had in this world and how Andy, Fuuko and Unrepair stood for 3 of those ways with Union standing for the 4th. Also this is a great Unluck-Undead combo (Andy as a talking head-bomb, this gonna be a classic for sure).^^

CSM:
Yeah, Angel got the short stick. Also lol, this is such a fitting theme for Muerica, offering one year of the lifespan of their citizens for using the Gun Devil. Gotta say, dude looks rad as hell! Very awesome! First place for that look alone, man! <3

AB: Geralt, there is more to life than boobs. Like butts to name one of many things. This guy really is something else to change so much in a week... The ending was quite unexpected and very direct. That is a positive way to end a chapter.

Mitama: This series could suddenly end and I would still expect this to continue next week! I had to read the title twice to make sure it didn't said final chapter!

WNL: Yeah, yeah, we get it, we get it~

Well about the Cop debut, not sure how this will continue. Quite different from what I expected to happen, hope this finds its way soon to tell the readers where it wants to head at. At least being a cop has consequences, lol, even the MC could not escape reality of what his job entails. xD
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Has any manga done over 5mln in print with v3 or is TPGW exaggerating?
Not even early One Piece lol
First volume 300,000 (December release), by next year it has 6 million copies, assume 4 volumes/year that's 4 volumes with 6 million copies in circulation

edit: maybe early Slam Dunk
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
1. Chainsaw man
2. Time paradox ghostwriter
3. Black clover
4. Jujutsu kaisen
5. Hard Boiled and dolphin
6. Mission: yozakura family
7. Mashle
8. Ayakashi Triangle
9. Moriking
10. Act-age
11. Agravity boys
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
My only question is, why didn’t they frontload the Dolphin cop instead of the little girl? That would’ve garnered more interest in the promotion.

Even reading the spoilers beforehand, TPGW’s twist was a major whammy. I somewhat get the decision putting the twist in this chapter since it would end the first volume, I just hope it didn’t lose too many readers along the way. Maybe Jump will keep it around and watch the volume sales specifically.

@Koni, you and me both. Fumino was not necessarily my girl (that would be the senpai), but my heart hurt reading this chapter :crying.

AT: Well, that’s an interesting development. I wonder how that’s gonna work out.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
@Newkerzy To keep it as a surprise which I think worked pretty well. At least I had to stop for a moment when we got to "that" page and was like "wait, what, for real?". xD
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
@Newkerzy To keep it as a surprise which I think worked pretty well. At least I had to stop for a moment when we got to "that" page and was like "wait, what, for real?". xD
Either way would’ve worked. I just prefer if it just straight up showed the dolphin in the preview.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
I see TPGW's big revelation and recontextualisation (is that a word?) similar to what UU did with its own first 8 chapters. I don't think it's late at all, as it's still in the first volume.
 

NiKiBasara

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
5
Reaction score
9
Age
33
Country
France
So TPGW doesn't only steal Steins;Gate microwave gimmick, it's straight up the same plot now huh?

Still an entertaining read but I can't really jump in the hypetrain this chapter started, it's just ok for me.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I enjoyed TPGW's chapter, a nice twist.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
JJK- This chapter. To say what happened was unexpected is an extreme understatement. This was 100% the best JJK chapter of all time. I regret just writing this off as a “fun conventional battle shonen” the first time I read it because it is far from it. I can’t chose between JJK and chainsawman on which one had the best chapter

CSM-@Halloween now I see what you are saying. I don’t want this series to end because I can’t see another jump series or manga in general giving me the same amount of pure enjoyment I get when reading CSM. This manga just gets better and better with every chapter. At this point not only is it my favorite currently running jump series but it is my favorite manga in general. Man I can’t wait for the next chapter. If this manga sticks the landing it can be considered my favorite jump series of all time reaching hunter x hunter and jojo status.

TPGW- Ok I think I learned my lesson to not turn on a series after the first 5 chapters. It’s like the author saw my post and just gave me everything I want in this single chapter. This series officially has my attention back.

Act age- Very good chapter as always. Letting us get to know more insight about how satsuki feels about the acting world and I really like Ren as a character. Again is a build up chapter to the play so not much to say but I still enjoyed the chapter.

Hard-boiled cop and dolphin- Ok first chapter, amazing art, good action, meh jokes, stupid and forced fan service. It has potential but if the whole series is like the first it’s probably not for me.

Magu Chan- My favorite of this new batch so far. Funny jokes, good chemistry between characters, and decent art/character designs. Between the 2 slice of life comedies I prefer mori king but this is also good.

Ayakashi Triangle- Yeah this series might not be for me. I hope there is more action and character development it doesn’t become an episodic ecchi series like yuuna. Based on the first 3 chapters it is not my cup of tea.

Mashle- Funny chapter. Not really much to say about it as it seem it’s transitioning to a battle.

Undead unluck- So now we got a cool villain group for undead unluck. I really am excited as I do love the creativity the author puts into action scenes. I can see the next chapter being an incredible one.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Another famous return! Dolphin seems it will be less interesting than Beelzebub, but I’m gonna give Tamura a chance and see if he planned out the direction of the series better than HM at least. Buddy cop comedy can be done right and hopefully Tamura’s up to the mantle.

Magu-chan was super comfy. Nice to see Jump serialize cute characters doing cute things. This edges out to be my favorite of the batch and really hope it survives.

First Volume for Time Paradox ended with a great cliffhanger. Hopefully the reception reciprocates the major plot twist.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Hard Boiled and Dolphin was very funny, I enjoyed it. Guess the whole info dump early on the chapter will be what’ll drive the plot in the long run. Tamura’s art was top notch and enjoyed the fourth wall breaking
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
This batch has been boring for me. Ayakashi/Magu/Hard Boiled is meh so far. I'll put these 3 on hold and see if they pickup later on.
 

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
I have to admit that I did not expect Magu-chan to be the one I am enjoying the most among the newbies. It can become a nice comedy manga.
HBCD seemed more a one-shot rather than the first chapter of a series to me. It was ok and I will read the second chapter, but I am not convinced yet.
For AT I do not care about the fanservice at all. I like Yabuki's art, but aside from that and the cat, not much else.

In TPGW I liked the twist. It does not solve the issues I have with the manga, although it gives me hope for the next chapters.
AA and DS were among my favourites this week.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
First chapter of Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin was ok, it has an ok premise and the art is nice, but nothing much else to it. The internal monologue gimmick was cool. Bone Collection's chapter was either extremely rushed or it'll become a monster of the week thing. Magu-chan's second chapter was fun and Magu-chan is still the most adorable thing. That twist in Ghostwriter was interesting and the series has my attention again.

Yeah, Chainsaw Man looks pretty much like it's going straight into endgame but that was a really cool chapter. Super tense Jujutsu Kaisen chapter, we know who that guy is looking for but we still have no idea why and I'm afraid we'll see a lot of death in the process of finding out. My Hero Academia was wild, I get more and more curious to see how this will conclude and what will happen next.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
personally.

All of the news one in this batch scream Cancel Me I'm a Total Failure.

Ayakashi will only survive since people love their panties, upskirt shots...and feet. While one of those is appealing, the context and character isnt, so I'm not a fan, and won't ding those that are.
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
33
Country
France
- Solid chapter for Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, the art was great and the set up too. Nothing extraordinary I would say, but quite solid (as expected from a veterant). Looking forward to read more of it.

- What an insane chapter for Chainsawman, astonishing !

- Nice chapter for Undead Unluck ! Nice charadesign as well !

- Great Chapter for Yozakura too, with some fine action. I'm starting to like more this new character. Still, too bad that the all Yozakura family is not really used.

- Ok chapter for Bone Collection. Not much to say about it.

- Mashle continues to be reallyyyyy great ! I'm loving the serie !

- Moriking, nothing really happens, so how is it so good?! I'm loving every character, the design are great. Wasn't hoping much from it and it tuned out as a serie I really like reading every week ! What a nice surprise !

- Good chapter for Ayakashi Triangle, but not much to say about it.

- Time Paradox Ghostwriter --> WHAT A TWIST ! The serie a really great chapter this week!

- Funny chapter for Magu-chan, really enjoyed it !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top