Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,497
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I don't think anyone is saying Jump needs to go out and hire a bunch of women because it's 2020. We're saying they need to remove the "no girls allowed" sign from the treehouse and let women apply to be editors and if they're the best fit for the job, hire them.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I don't think anyone is saying Jump needs to go out and hire a bunch of women because it's 2020. We're saying they need to remove the "no girls allowed" sign from the treehouse and let women apply to be editors and if they're the best fit for the job, hire them.
That is obvious in an idealistic world.
Damn shame that ain't our world tho.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I don't think anyone is saying Jump needs to go out and hire a bunch of women because it's 2020. We're saying they need to remove the "no girls allowed" sign from the treehouse and let women apply to be editors and if they're the best fit for the job, hire them.
Exactly. That's the main point.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
This kinda got buried. Hopefully we get some of those on Manga+. I could see them picking up Ghost Girl since they've been doing a repub of Rosario+Vampire since the service started. It's doing better than Mitama on Manga+ views so that has to count for something I guess lol.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
It's doing better than Mitama on Manga+ views so that has to count for something I guess lol.
WHY MUST YOU PAIN ME LIKE THIS!!
Though really....Mitama and Agravity are both in a very facinating position right now. Both are essentially polar opposites with one having decent sales and poor ToCs while the other has poor sales yet decent ToCs.....
 

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
If the second Volume of Ab shows some growth compared to its first one, it might survive Mitama though it seems Mitama is more liked by the WSJ Editors and WSJ questionnaires. But Mitama's sales have been really not good and it is not growing either. And with so many Comedy series in the Line-Up Mitama cannot build on the "gag manga that lives forever" trope.
Yeah, Agravity is definitely relying on sales rn. Tho for editors liking Mitama, I wonder if it will rise in the TOC next week. The last 3 issues, Agravity was higher than it twice. Probably doesn't mean too much tho since overall Agravity has basically been in the bottom for its run since the start.

Also what do you guys expect Agravity to sell?
I expect a slight increase to 15k. Hopefully more, but I just hope it increases.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
I saw several people respond to my initial post so I hope this reply encompasses all of them at least somewhat well.

Yes obviously I'm aware of that. Throw D.Gray-Man in there for good measure. I didn't say that women are incapable of creating a good shonen series. But I'd argue those examples are the exceptions, not the norm first, and second it seems less about that and more "Let's hire women/hope a female protagonist becomes a face of the magazine because it's 2020 and we're woke." If it happens organically or whatever cool but doing it because others pressure you or just to give themselves a pat on the shoulder is something I'm against.

To the point someone made about romance, speaking for myself, as a kid and now, I never had any desire to see romance in the shonen series I liked even though I know it's a common thing to do in most shows/series not just manga. But to me that's the equivalent of reading a typical shojo drama and saying "Where are the fights and superpowers"? Nor have I ever been intrested in reading a series and trying to identify with the female characters (again speaking personally). I'd also argue that Chi Chi and Sakura (two common characters people complain about), stereotypes though they may be, aren't exactly incongruent.

Concerning DB Super: Broly, Toriyama said something to the effect of: "I hope young boys, men with the hearts of boys and even the very small number of women who understand the hearts of young boys can enjoy the movie." There's a reason he phrased it like that.

Lastly, my concern is that Jump could become what Hollywood has. People call classic strong male protagonists as "toxic and misogynist." Look at what's happening to James Bond, what happened to Ghost Busters and a crap ton of other franchises in current times. Or who whenever a female is drawn a certain way in American superhero comics it's always "Women aren't built like that! The skirt is too short! Draw them realistically! Sexist!" And so on. It's tiresome. I won't go off on a tangent about this off topic subject but that's basically where I'm coming from. I'd hate to see Jump become that.
I don’t see how it is “woke” to remove a policy forbidding females from editing because that isn’t woke it is the bare minimum. Other shonen magazines have don’t restrict female editors yet they haven’t become like Hollywood (even then people overuse the crap out of woke. I’ve seen some people say that the latest chapters for act age woke so the word has kind of lost it’s meaning). Also I don’t think that you understand that there are plenty of romantic/ battle Shojo manga and non battle/ romantic shonen manga.

Even then the fact that series like full metal alchemist and most of Rumiko’s work are considered to be the most popular and best shonen manga of all time proves that it isn’t just a “lucky shot” and they can make some incredible battle shonen manga. On top of that a TON of females read shonen manga.

It’s not as large as the amount of boys who read it but they still take up a 5th of the readership (so a very rough estimate of 320,000.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, Agravity is definitely relying on sales rn. Tho for editors liking Mitama, I wonder if it will rise in the TOC next week. The last 3 issues, Agravity was higher than it twice. Probably doesn't mean too much tho since overall Agravity has basically been in the bottom for its run since the start.

Also what do you guys expect Agravity to sell?
I expect a slight increase to 15k. Hopefully more, but I just hope it increases.
My hope is for 18k and my fear is that its sales reduces which would most likely would mean it is next on the chopping block. What was AB's sale of its first volume in its first week and in total?
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Ikeda-sensei is coming back too! Going to Plus is a pretty big acquisition for the platform. I wonder if she’s going for a weekly serial instead of monthly.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Despite what I said earlier, there are some examples like Bakuman where it feels like the writer has clearly never had an actual conversation with a woman( which is repeated in Death Note and Platinum End) where I have no doubt in my mind that an actual woman revising the manga would say “yeah, no actual woman talks like this......”
 

redon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
1,758
Reaction score
17,725
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
It seems One Piece will be on break in Jump #32 (no chapter next week).

So probably One Piece will have Jump cover and color pages in issue #33-34 for its 23th Anniversary.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Despite what I said earlier, there are some examples like Bakuman where it feels like the writer has clearly never had an actual conversation with a woman( which is repeated in Death Note and Platinum End) where I have no doubt in my mind that an actual woman revising the manga would say “yeah, no actual woman talks like this......”
y is that? Got any examples?
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
Ikeda-sensei is coming back too! Going to Plus is a pretty big acquisition for the platform. I wonder if she’s going for a weekly serial instead of monthly.
Akihisa Ikeda is a male.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Despite what I said earlier, there are some examples like Bakuman where it feels like the writer has clearly never had an actual conversation with a woman( which is repeated in Death Note and Platinum End) where I have no doubt in my mind that an actual woman revising the manga would say “yeah, no actual woman talks like this......”
There was obvious sexism in Bakuman.
Bakuman also had instances like where Mashiro's dad told his mom "There are things that only men can understand" (or something along those lines, I'm paraphrasing) when talking about following their passion...because you know, only men can understand the desire to follow their passion.

Despite that, I do think Azuki's character was done well. She was in control of the relationship and followed her dreams. It was a contrast of Kaya who was the complete opposite and just poorly portrayed.
 

Lord fifth

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
176
Reaction score
197
Age
27
Country
Israel
"There are things that only men can understand" (or something along those lines, I'm paraphrasing) when talking about following their passion.
If this is the most sexist thing in the manga then bakuman is fine. (you said obvious sexisim so I assume there is something extremly sexist)

Also this is the same thing as a man's romance or a man's dream, which is at most a bit sexist and not really a big deal, and it's most likely a gag.
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
There was obvious sexism in Bakuman.
Bakuman also had instances like where Mashiro's dad told his mom "There are things that only men can understand" (or something along those lines, I'm paraphrasing) when talking about following their passion...because you know, only men can understand the desire to follow their passion.

Despite that, I do think Azuki's character was done well. She was in control of the relationship and followed her dreams. It was a contrast of Kaya who was the complete opposite and just poorly portrayed.
Okay I am a woman and let me say Bakuman would not be first ten thing that came to my mind thinking about sexism.Maybe some things could be done better but overall its pretty decent to me.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
If this is the most sexist thing in the manga then bakuman is fine. (you said obvious sexisim so I assume there is something extremly sexist)

Also this is the same thing as a man's romance or a man's dream, which is at most a bit sexist and not really a big deal, and it's most likely a gag.
It was just one moment that came to my mind. "Most likely a gag"? Nope, it wasn't. It was a serious conversation between the mother and father.
Please stop providing counter arguments for something if you've not seen it.

"at most a bit sexist and not really a big deal" - If it's sexist, slightly or heavily, it's still a problem *shrugs*
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Okay I am a woman and let me say Bakuman would not be first ten thing that came to my mind thinking about sexism.Maybe some things could be done better but overall its pretty decent to me.
Oh I agree. Bakuman wasn't the worst by a mile. It was an obvious improvement from Death Note from Ohba/Obata.

Just stating that there are obvious sexist moments in it.
Like the genius in school (not telling who) who became an author and constantly tries to get back at one of the male characters (not telling who) for rejecting her feelings in school.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top