Character - The Antagonists | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character The Antagonists

Who has(have) been the best antagonist(s) so far?

• Ibara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xeno

• Magma

• Stanley

• Homura

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
So, seeing that there is no chapter this week, and with what happened last chapter's cliffhanger, I thought this thread would be a fun place to discuss all the antagonists we have had in the series so far :D
From the start of the series we have had the likes of:

Tsukasa

Hyoga

Homura

Kirisame

Out of all the villains so far (Both minor and major), who would you say has been your:
Favorite major villain
Least favorite major villain
Favorite minor villain
Least favorite minor villain

FYI: major villains refer to arc bosses (Tsukasa, Ibara etc), while minor villains refer to characters who have been subordinates to these major villains.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Favorite major villain - Tsukasa

Created his own empire. Kept up with Senkuu and pushed him to his limits. Actually had a decent enough reason for why he opposed the revival of all humanity and the strength to back it up and stand his ground.

Least favorite major villain - Ibara

Just a perverted old man drunk on Power. Was reasonably intelligent but overall good riddance.

Favorite minor villain -
Hyoga

When he backstabbed Tsukasa it was epic. Inspires his own brand of loyalty in others. Still has respect for his opponents even as he's getting ready to kill them. I like that he's a grey character. That time he chose between Senkuu and Moz because of their ideals gave us a better insight into his character.

Least favorite minor villain -
Moz

Why this guy was allowed to join the Kingdom of Science I'll never know. I get that he's strong but he's also basically a mini Ibara.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
So, seeing that there is no chapter this week, and with what happened last chapter's cliffhanger, I thought this thread would be a fun place to discuss all the antagonists we have had in the series so far :D
From the start of the series we have had the likes of:

Tsukasa

Hyoga

Homura

Kirisame

Out of all the villains so far (Both minor and major), who would you say has been your:
Favorite major villain
Least favorite major villain
Favorite minor villain
Least favorite minor villain

FYI: major villains refer to arc bosses (Tsukasa, Ibara etc), while minor villains refer to characters who have been subordinates to these major villains.
Great idea man,i like it! 🙌
Favorite major villain - Tsukasa

Created his own empire. Kept up with Senkuu and pushed him to his limits. Actually had a decent enough reason for why he opposed the revival of all humanity and the strength to back it up and stand his ground.

Least favorite major villain - Ibara

Just a perverted old man drunk on Power. Was reasonably intelligent but overall good riddance.

Favorite minor villain - Hyoga

When he backstabbed Tsukasa it was epic. Inspires his own brand of loyalty in others. Still has respect for his opponents even as he's getting ready to kill them. I like that he's a grey character. That time he chose between Senkuu and Moz because of their ideals gave us a better insight into his character.

Least favorite minor villain - Moz

Why this guy was allowed to join the Kingdom of Science I'll never know. I get that he's strong but he's also basically a mini Ibara.
I think i pretty much agree with all these here.👍

I do give Ibara credit as a Villain for making me develop a genuine hate for the guy,but Tsukasa i was hyped for each time he came on panel back then and was eager to see him clash with Senkuu's group. The climax of his Arc was incredible. Liked the finale of Treasure Island too but it lacked that certain something for me,even though it took a lot out of Senkuu and his team. Ibara would have never risen to his position on the Island if not for the Medusa he shamelessly stole from Soyuz Father and his lies to the people.💁‍♂️

Kirisame's reaction when she saw his true nature said it all for me,nobody would've willingly followed (Apart from maybe Moz) this guy if he hadn't made up the lies and stolen the Medusa for himself. Meanwhile Tsukasa had no need for deception and the sort,he build and defended everything he had with what he was and stood for. And most importantly,his own strength.💪

Seeing how well both Tsukasa and Hyoga fit into Senkuu's group,their change from "bad/evil" to the good side didn't feel forced or unnatural at all. Shows me that these guys weren't just great Villains in their own rights but are also incredible characters altogether,props to the Author for making it as authentic as he did.

With this new America Arc we are currently following i have begun to hold high hopes for both Dr. Xeno and Stanley Snyder to possibly top Tsukasa and Hyoga in their respective categories,i feel like both have incredible Potential as Villains and Characters. Even moreso since there are certain parallels between Senkuu/Taiju and Xeno/Stanley,although admittedly this could fall flat as the arc goes on but i'll remain optimistic. :D

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Ibara was definitely the best major villain for me. Very smart and threatening. Which makes Tsukasa the least favorite by default but I don't dislike him.
As a character I prefer Tsukasa but Ibara was a much better antagonist IMO.

Among the minor ones my favorite villain was Kirisame and Homura is the least favorite. Besides she being a Hyouga follower there isn't much about her.

Tatsumaki

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I guess my least favorite minor villain would be Mozu since the guy was just a pervert. However Magma wasn't any better and Hyoga... I can't decide... his incoming betrayal was obvious but at the same time the few chapters he got felt useless ? Like ''hey I'm just a tool to show you that Senku and Tsukasa make a great team :celebrate
(I'm using this moment to state that I don't understand why Homura which seem to be a smart girl is so obsessed with Hyoga ?)
So my favorite minor antagonist would be Stanley I suppose.

Well I was going to say Xeno for favorite major villain since I love the scientist vs scientist fight, but his arc ain't over yet, it could go downhill.
I can't decide between Ibara (that I hated but loved how hard he was to get rid of) and Tsukasa (since well... he was highkey making lot of sense :bored)

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Very decent participation so far. Thanks guys :nod
@kkck @Wookitake You guys wanna try this out? :kukuku

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Oh, thanks for mentioning me! I was waiting for this Thursday to come back and check the spoilers haha.

Favorite major villain: Tsukasa. Had a clear goal, strategies.
Least favorite minor villain: Mozu. Just after pretty girls to make a harem? Laaame.

The other ones are hard for me to choose and explain. I don't quite like Hyoga, Ibara had some flaws as well (he turned too OP towards the end).
I liked @Belserion's defense for Hyoga to be a preferable minor one, but I can't quite come to terms with him as a character.

Maybe if I re-read everything I can make a decision. I want to wait this current arc, because there is a good chance Stanley will turn into the favorite minor villain.

Last edited:

Midak

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Favorite major villain: Tsukasa. In terms of charisma, design and goal, he could have been a final villain. However, that would have limited the science aspect too much.
Least favorite major villain: Dr. Xeno. So far pretty generic, although there is room for improvement.
Favorite minor villain:
Hyoga. Mostly for design and combat style.
Least favorite minor villain:
Magma. He is ok, although I do not care much about him.

I feel like Dr. Xeno may be the second to last villain of the series, aside from the WHY man or whoever is behind that.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Among the minor villains I also like Yo. He was always pretty entertaining. Even now as an ally he hasn't really changed :XD.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Added a small poll :nod

Let's see:
Favorite major villain: Honestly, the best major villain so far has been Ibara to me. Tsukasa is okay, but my main problem with him is that nearly all his subordinates defected/betrayed him even before he joined the good guys. Which kinda is not a good showing on him as the main leader. Ibara knew there was the small possibility of a rebellion breaking out on Treasure Island, so to this effect he took countermeasures even to quell that. Also, he is the only villain so far to completely overwhelm the entire Kingdom of Science by himself.
Least favorite major villain:
So far, Xeno. His goal of taking over the world is far too cartoonish, especially for someone of his IQ. I'd expect such a goal from Magma, not a former NASA scientist :facepalm
Favorite minor villain:
The only answer to this is Hyoga. Brilliant design, and to date we still know nothing about him. His backstory hasn't even been displayed in the story. Special shout out to Kirisame though, genuinely glad she has joined the good guys :wub
Least favorite minor villain: Mozu. Doesn't really need an explanation tbh. Genuinely not a fan of his character.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Sanity Check Want to try this out? :p

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
@Sanity Check Want to try this out? :p

I can try but don't have much to say on the topic. :3c

Favorite major villain Medusa dropper. The final villain. Whoever is pulling the strings from the shadows. And is encouraging survivors to battle amongst themselves.
Least favorite major villain Ibara. The "Jeffrey Epstein" of the series. Old dirty man with an island, preying on young girls. Senku defeating him was the most psychologically and emotionally satisfying victory thus far. Not only because Ibara was a dick but also due to the problems and obstacles Senku had to overcome to beat him.
Favorite minor villain Gen. His role and contributions to the kingdom of science are interesting. Many manga storylines are defined in battle power levels (over 9,000!!!) or raw intelligence. I like the extra dimension Gen adds where other variables factor in. I wonder if his hair coloring was inspired by Melanie Martinez or if there's another celebrity popularizing that two tone hairstyle.
Least favorite minor villain Why man. An anonymous message is transmitted: "Whyyyyyyyyy." LOL WTH. I hope there's an explanation for this later. It will suck if it was pointless.

Many of the villains are defined in battle power and combat ability. Which could be overrated in manga/manwha. Especially in one where science is emphasized. For all their skill and muscles, virtually none of them recognize the real danger is the creator of medusas. Even Xeno is kind of an idiot for not recognizing it IMO.

Crimson_Dawn13

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Favourite Major Villain: Tsukasa. Technically he would class more as an antagonist because whereas his morals are questionable he is not completely without nor evil, but I think most of these people - and most humans in real life - aren't pure evil, so... I find him to be an almost understandable villain.

Favourite Minor Villain: Homura or Hyoga. I think as Hyouga's right hand woman she was certainly impressive. That said, maybe I just need to get used to the new villains. I'm not sure whether to class Hyoga as major or minor - since he did betray Tsukasa and become his own person and also he was one of the top three people - along with Tsukasa and Ukyo - on Tsukasa's side... so I think they were equals even though you could argue he did serve under Tsukasa before he backstabbed him -, but he's a pretty cool villain with an interesting fighting style, and a pretty chilling character. He's not after the world or anything but his philosophies, or how he thinks the world should be are kind of unsettling but in an interesting way. (Pretty sure he wanted the world to belong to the strong, which is wrong, but it's miles more interesting than just wanting to take over the world or getting all the ladies.) Also he's pretty respectful but also a sneak so-and-so who will readily betray you if his goals no longer align with yours.

Least Favourite Minor Villain: Magma and Mozu. Mozu is a perv and Magma really irrited me before he joined Senku.

Least Favourite Major Villain: Ibara... I mean... perverted old men seem to be pretty standard villains so there's nothing new or interesting there, and while I'm supposed to hate him, I tend to favour villains that I actually understand. He's not even cool or intimidating.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Favourite Major Villain: Tsukasa. Technically he would class more as an antagonist because whereas his morals are questionable he is not completely without nor evil, but I think most of these people - and most humans in real life - aren't pure evil, so... I find him to be an almost understandable villain.

Favourite Minor Villain: Homura or Hyoga. I think as Hyouga's right hand woman she was certainly impressive. That said, maybe I just need to get used to the new villains. I'm not sure whether to class Hyoga as major or minor - since he did betray Tsukasa and become his own person and also he was one of the top three people - along with Tsukasa and Ukyo - on Tsukasa's side... so I think they were equals even though you could argue he did serve under Tsukasa before he backstabbed him -, but he's a pretty cool villain with an interesting fighting style, and a pretty chilling character. He's not after the world or anything but his philosophies, or how he thinks the world should be are kind of unsettling but in an interesting way. (Pretty sure he wanted the world to belong to the strong, which is wrong, but it's miles more interesting than just wanting to take over the world or getting all the ladies.) Also he's pretty respectful but also a sneak so-and-so who will readily betray you if his goals no longer align with yours.

Least Favourite Minor Villain: Magma and Mozu. Mozu is a perv and Magma really irrited me before he joined Senku.

Least Favourite Major Villain: Ibara... I mean... perverted old men seem to be pretty standard villains so there's nothing new or interesting there, and while I'm supposed to hate him, I tend to favour villains that I actually understand. He's not even cool or intimidating.
Excellent answers :D
I was most impressed by the Homura bit you mentioned. Never thought about her in that light.

--
What are your thoughts on Xeno and Stanley? After the recent chapters, plus the conclusion of the South American saga in general? Curious since you did not mention them in your post :ninja

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Favorite Major Villain: Ibara

Tbh, I didn't expect liking him from his intro, the setup to the village was Hollywood-esque. But, the cautious schtick definitely appealed to me. Each time, I underestimated him, he surprised. He was very entertaining and able to think on his feet, and I liked how he was able to quickly rebound when it seemed the tables turned and some funny facial expressions.

Tsukasa is the runner up, he made the best initial impression on me. Strong, charismatic, and perceptive, a good early antagonist. I don't hold his subordinates defecting against him because I see it as simply a far better alternative was presented to them. I mean US, technology, and Lillian, even with it being a wishful thinking, it was a shot they had to take considering the conditions they were living in, though I believe no one died yet (excluding the guys sent with Hyoga). However, Tsukasa was unable to pick up on the red flags from Hyoga and his final confrontation with Senku also doesn't measure up with those that came after him. Also, with the introduction of machine guns, I'm reminded of the boss when you face him vs. the boss when you unlock him as a playable character meme. 🤣

Least favorite major villain: Dr. Xeno

I do like him, his science talks with Senku are great and that panel of them side by side around chap 155 or so is one of the best in the series. My qualm is more toward his goal as despot, and it being the source of the conflict between his group and KoS. Despite that, the chase and final battle are the best in the series imo.

Favorite Minor Villain: Hyoga

My overall favorite villain, immediately sticks out with his design and fighting style. And his goal of making a superior gene pool is the most interesting to me in the stone world. I'd have liked to see that play out. And he remains the most interesting of the antagonists to join the KoS. His initial thought process always differs from the main group on how to approach situations. He has proven his loyalty to them and vice versa, but still something to keep an eye for.

Stanley is the runner up, I see him as The Winter Soldier of the series haha. He's proven himself on several fronts, though one area I'd have liked to see is his skills in cqc, like him being temporarily disarmed by a trap, and having to face off against the best of the KoS before reaching Dr. Xeno.

Least favorite minor villain: The popular choice Mozu

Though not for wanting a harem, cause I mean in the context of a post-petrification world and their civilization, what more can you expect from the bad guys. It's more cause I knew he wouldn't be Tsukasa or Hyoga level, proven by Hyoga putting him on his ass once he got his proper spear.

Last edited: