Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,572
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I do want some of those to be axed, lol. I just don't really feel like complaining about the series I don't like all the time, and bother needlessly people who do enjoy them.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Ultimately, Jump series will come and go. I’m sure some of them will be successful but many others will fail. So even if Jump is filled with a lot of gags, I can see half of them being gone a year from now.

The biggest reason series such as Yozakura, Miitama, Agravity, and even Undead Unluck have persisted so long is because established series have ended in rather quick succession. And We Never Learn and Chainsaw Man look like they’ll follow suit within a year.

I think Jump will sort itself out over time, so I don’t really complain. I will get attached to series, but if they don’t sell at the end of the day, so be it.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Ultimately, Jump series will come and go. I’m sure some of them will be successful but many others will fail. So even if Jump is filled with a lot of gags, I can see half of them being gone a year from now.

The biggest reason series such as Yozakura, Miitama, Agravity, and even Undead Unluck have persisted so long is because established series have ended in rather quick succession. And We Never Learn and Chainsaw Man look like they’ll follow suit within a year.

I think Jump will sort itself out over time, so I don’t really complain. I will get attached to series, but if they don’t sell at the end of the day, so be it.
I agree with Yozakura and Undead unluck. Now regarding Mitama and Agravity boys, I don't know if they will continue, especially Agravity.
Mitama, I believe that they would rather sacrifice bone collection than lose Mitama.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i thought undead x unlock was one of the next big things?
 

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
I agree with Yozakura and Undead unluck. Now regarding Mitama and Agravity boys, I don't know if they will continue, especially Agravity.
Mitama, I believe that they would rather sacrifice bone collection than lose Mitama.
I think Undead wouldn't have been axed even if established series were still here. They probably would have axed Yozakura, Mitama or Agravity instead rather than axing Undead.

Also why especially Agravity? Why would they axe Agravity but not axe Mitama? It's not like Mitama does that well, and it sells way worse than Agravity. At least Agravity has been getting reprints.

I'm not saying Agravity won't get the axe (I hope it doesn't), but saying Jump would rather lose Bone Collection than lose Mitama doesn't make sense since Bone Collection hasn't even got sales release yet, and Agravity sells way better than Mitama as of now. I think Mitama is more at risk than Agravity being axed, and we don't know if Bone Collection could sell decently

but I could end up wrong and Jump does let Mitama live lol.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Yeah, Undead has had some lower placements but it's regularly above a bunch of established series. Sure it's not as big as Mashle but it is at least doing well enough so far. It doesn't come across to me as a lucky flop like Mitama or Yozakura that probably would've been cancelled by now in a normal year.

I think Undead would still be surviving this long if we had a normal number of hits, maybe it would always hang around the bottom half instead of hitting the top 5, but I don't think it would've gotten the early axe.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Had a quick look through Undead's ToC placements so far.
The worst it's been is 4th last three times, and in two of those issues Yuuna was below it (so it has only been under all established series once). It has always been placed above at least 1 established series other than that one issue, usually 2 or more.

I think it's on the verge of becoming a proper hit at this point, and it just needs a really good arc to solidify its place long term (like Spider Mountain did for Kimetsu, or Galactic Railroad for Act-age).
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 7/24

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba 21
#2 Kimetsu no Yaiba 21 Special Edition
#25 The Promised Neverland 19
#29 My Hero Academia 27
#59 Dr. Stone 16
#61 Black Clover 25
#76 Act-Age 12

Mashle is at #491.

Shoseki Daily Ranking - 7/25

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba 21
#2 Kimetsu no Yaiba 21 Special Edition
#25 The Promised Neverland 19
#28 My Hero Academia 27
#60 Black Clover 25
#61 Dr. Stone 16
#72 Act-Age 12
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I think it's on the verge of becoming a proper hit at this point, and it just needs a really good arc to solidify its place long term (like Spider Mountain did for Kimetsu, or Galactic Railroad for Act-age).
Didn't Kimetsu's editor mention that Kimetsu did well in rankings from the start? So it had always solidified it's long term spot.
Dunno about Act Age.

How UxU's next volume does will be intriguing to watch.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Kimetsu no Yaiba might not have been in danger of cancellation early on, but it didn't really become a proper hit until Spider Mountain.

That's the position I'm thinking Undead may be in now. It's not in any danger of getting axed, but it's not a true hit yet either.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Undead unluck is safe, he may not have better or as good sales as Mashle, but he has better sales than Yozakura.
Toc's position is not the only thing that matters today.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
A new interview with Shihei Lin talking about his relationship with Fujimoto. Everything's pretty much known already, curious stuff is that Fire Punch was rejected 2 times at SQ, magazine in which it was first planned to serialize, and was later decided to be weekly in Jump+ gathering assistants such as Yuuji Kaku or Tatsuya Endo. Then it talks about how Shihei lets Fujimoto do whatever he feels like doing because he trusts that he'll do interesting and funny stuff (such as some Kobeni's Car moments).

 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
curious stuff is that Fire Punch was rejected 2 times at SQ, magazine in which it was first planned to serialize, and was later decided to be weekly in Jump+
wonder what the first proposed draft was and how different it was from the final version in jump+
 

aneekl

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2020
Messages
56
Reaction score
112
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
I see were it refers to Yuji Kaku has an assistant (citing him as the author of Jigokuraku), which I think we already knew, but I don't see Tatsuya Endo or SPY x FAMILY mentioned anywhere. Am I missing something?
Endo was mentioned a line before Kaku. You just skipped his name entirely lol.

edit:
Worth mentioning?
Most of Yuji Kaku are ex-Fire punch assistances.
If combined Fujimoto and Kaku assistances altogether. That’s 80% of Fire Punch crew members.
 
Last edited:

therocomotion

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
111
Age
36
Country
Spain
Didn't Kimetsu's editor mention that Kimetsu did well in rankings from the start? So it had always solidified it's long term spot.
Dunno about Act Age.

How UxU's next volume does will be intriguing to watch.
Act-Age was a bottom-dweller until Chiyoko's introduction. It basically only survived because Bozebeats flopped harder.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I see were it refers to Yuji Kaku has an assistant (citing him as the author of Jigokuraku), which I think we already knew, but I don't see Tatsuya Endo or SPY x FAMILY mentioned anywhere. Am I missing something?
Was also mentioned in the Manga+ interview.

 

therocomotion

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
111
Age
36
Country
Spain
I was liking Ghost (Reaper) Girl until I checked the Japanese raws. The first chapter flip was readable, but in the second chapter it completely destroys the flow of the action scenes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top