Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,597
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
First WSJ issue officially without Haikyuu!!, still sad about it but the world goes on.

Top 10 and the rest:
  1. Chainsaw Man - Probably the best chapter of the series. God, that hurt.
  2. Act-Age - Stellar mini training arc we had here. The scenes at the beach and the gravestone would be enough for it to be best of the week if Chainsaw Man didn't rip out our hearts like that.
  3. Jujutsu Kaisen - Loved the first half of this chapter. Bleach vibes all over the art and panelling, especially in that one half page double spread with Sukuna.
  4. One Piece - So that wasn't the chapter that made the editor cry, hopefully next week. Still, great climax going on after months of build-up.
  5. My Hero Academia - Ah, you don't notice how short these chapters are until you've binged and have to read weekly. Still solid stuff but not as impactful as the recent string of chapters. Need Momo & co to kill it next week.
  6. Time Paradox Ghostwriter - It's time is not long for this world. The pacing is ridiculous but I still am enjoying where it's going. Feels like this would have happened chapter 30+ if it wasn't so rushed.
  7. Mashle - Those extra pages were worth it. Lance is probably my favourite of the series, so seeing a trade of comedy for cool is all good by me.
  8. Black Clover - Yay, this fight is over!
  9. Me & Roboco - It's silly, it's dumb, the jokes aren't anything particularly special, but it still makes me laugh more than most of the comedies running alongside it.
  10. Agravity Boys - Agravity Boys lives on! I'm more pumped about its boost in the TOC than the chapter itself - this flashback hasn't been my favourite, but the fact it could take its time like it did gives me hope this isn't going to end imminently.
  11. Mission: Yozakura Family
  12. Moriking
  13. Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  14. Undead Unluck
  15. Mitama Security
  16. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
According with IP stuff, Mitama is ending next chapter and Bone Collection in two weeks
Agravity Boys lives!

time paradox ghost writer has the smartest writing in jump wow.
I'm enjoying it still but I'd say its writing right now feels more like the creators have guns to their heads and are putting the whole thing on fast forward.

Plus, if we're talking about smartest or most mature writing in Jump, Act-Age is right there!

I dont know if chainsawman is something that would last beyond chp 100-120. Feels like its just doing stuff you do when you're about to enter your final arc.
Definitely approaching/already in its final arc. At this rate the whole series might be adapted in a single 2-cour anime.
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Don't you think it's weird that Bone Collection will be axed before Vol.01 comes out ?
Didn't stop Chagecha from getting the axe.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Enjoy my Jump reading time and come back to the thread to find Mitama is getting axed. Fun. Not that it wasn't expected but it still hurts. Anyway, pretty good issue over all, especially for the established series'. I kinda just want Time Paradox to end at this point, get the artist another writer who can match his art please. Really liked Roboco this week too lol, it was pretty funny.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
well ayakashi is doing all that it can to stay in jump, lol. i assume people into that stuff is loving these chapters and the artwork...scroll wedged between her bewbies in her crop top, wow,
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I guess we are getting a new round of serialization of just 2 manga, being Burn the Witch the first one.

Praying hard for the second manga to not be another gag. Please Nakano, remember the roster hasn't any spokon right now
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I guess we are getting a new round of serialization of just 2 manga, being Burn the Witch the first one.

Praying hard for the second manga to not be another gag. Please Nakano, remember the roster hasn't any spokon right now
i just want a Boys Sports Exorcist. Give me.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I guess we are getting a new round of serialization of just 2 manga, being Burn the Witch the first one.

Praying hard for the second manga to not be another gag. Please Nakano, remember the roster hasn't any spokon right now
The thing is to hope that the Japanese accept the next sports manga instead of charging Nakano for a new sports manga.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
I guess we are getting a new round of serialization of just 2 manga, being Burn the Witch the first one.

Praying hard for the second manga to not be another gag. Please Nakano, remember the roster hasn't any spokon right now
Just because we know two are ending, doesn't mean that's all of them. If something were to end in 3 chapters, it still would have all 4 IDs (including this week's).
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,697
Age
40
Country
Italy
1. Chainsaw man: binged during last week break (up next is Act-Age). I wrote a lot about it in its topic, and it's like Fujimoto read my critics and delivered a chapter that is exactly what I want from him. Chapeau.
2. Mashle: for the first time I liked a serious chapter, it showed that he can do those well and isn't only good at comedy. Also liked Lance's new power, I had an issue with him needing more variety. These authors are really reading my complaints!
3. UNDEAD UNLUCK: great chapter about Tatiana, the author is really good at setting the pace of his manga and knows when to slow down and when to speed up. It really deserves its high rankings.
4. One piece: a chapter for the hype. I liked that "they" all arrived there at the same time, my problem with this manga is that when many groups are scattered it's easy to get lost.
5. Hard-Boiled cop and Dolphin: sorry people, I still love it even on its weakest chapters. The dolphin gag cracked me up, I can't do anything about it.
6. Time Paradox Ghostwriter: if this was meant to be a short story from the beginning, I would say its pace is just right. Unfortunately it isn't, and we all can see the rushing. The cliffhanger made me curious for the next chapter though.
7. Moriking: good fun this week, the bug mating gags were good. I hope the first volume sells as much as it is needed to make it stick around for a while longer.
8. Black Clover: fast and furious. Read it in less than a minute.
9. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: another underwhelming chapter. Is it losing its touch?
10. Ayakashi Triangle: ecchi aside, the reveal about Suzu may make things more interesting from now on. We'll see how the story will develop.
11. Bone Collection: the authors are really listening to me: last time I said that I am not getting ending vibes, and now I do. Sure enough, moments later I read the announcement about the axe. Now, you have two chapters to tell me what the girl with glasses was introduced for...
12. Me & Roboco: every week this manga is hit or miss, and this time it missed. The only fun gag is the "reveal" in the final panel (and the recurring gag about the big boy that gets launched everytime).
 
Last edited:

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
time paradox ghost writer has the smartest writing in jump wow.
What do you mean by 'smartest'? Do you mean how the story is developing?

Personally, I find that the biggest flaw of the series is the writing, even before chapter 7, especially due to a weak MC and the character interactions.

I would argue that Dr. Stone and Act-Age are better written, to give another example where two authors are present.


Ok week in my opinion. I thought HBCD was the funniest.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright this week, felt like it leaned a little too heavily into the battle aspects but it was still fine. Looks like this may be a long arc

Mitama was great, a really heartwarming chapter and seeing Shakejiro is always great. Didn't really give off ending vibes but considering the nature of the series and the arc we got a while ago it probably wouldn't take much to finish. I've long since made my peace with it ending and it's a miracle it made it this far. Will truly be missed, if it does end.

Agravity was good, wasn't expecting the flashback to end this week and the gags felt a little lacking, but it was nice enough

Undead was great, the backstory was tragic but also sweet, was surprised at how insanely strong Titania is

Mashle was pretty good, it felt like a pretty standard shonen-y fight but it hit all the right boxes to make it enjoyable. The art has really grown on me

Moriking was great, I'm really liking Oki and Moriking, and the gags were good. Even with Mitama gone, I'm glad to have Moriking

Bone was meh, not a fan of the battle aspects. Wouldn't be surprised if it ended soon

What the hell is going on in Ghost Writer. Whatever I thought it was in chapter one is completely gone now. Not really a fan of it but at least it's entertaining to see what it pulls out of it's ass every week. Art is incredible though

Ayakashi was good, the first chapter I cared about, and I'm not talking about the ending. Feels like a lot of nothing has happened so far so this development should help things

Magu was pretty good, probably my least favorite so far but still a good chapter. Gags felt a little weaker but it was heartwarming

Dolphin was alright, I liked the transformation gag but the rest of the chapter felt a little flat and I was expecting a stronger conclusion

Roboco was alright, had one or two decent gags but didn't really care for the rest of it

OP, Dr Stone, CSM, and JJK were all great this week. I'd say I liked the Fumino arc more than the Rizu arc, but I liked the ending to the Rizu arc more than Fumino's. Uruka still has the best. Not surprised to see series ending as Burn the Witch still isn't here yet and it may have series debut alongside it.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Really feels like Bone and Ghost Writer could be ending very soon, they both seem to be rushing stuff quite a bit now. I think whatever Ghost does next chapter will probably make it obvious whether it'll end or not.

If we do end up with 2 new series alongside Burn the Witch, that'll certainly be a lot of new manga starting very close together. I'm hoping for two sports, one mainstream sport and one either board games or something obscure or alternative (like Shokugeki turning cooking into a sports tournament).
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,263
Reaction score
1,969
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Mashle needs to be a Featured Manga!
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,697
Age
40
Country
Italy
I thought that with all the big series that have ended and all the new series that already debuted in 2020, even the current weakest series would have had more time to breathe and would have survived until at least fall (or until at least the latest batch is getting ranked).

Are we on par with the average number of mangas that have debuted from December to August, compared to the previous years?
 

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
Why debut a new batch of sports series when you can just have basketball, volleyball, and even some gymnastics and tennis all in one (with a little romance in there because of course)! In all seriousness, the one-shot looks very sweet. I hope it gets serialized in some form!
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Bone Collection was already rushing before, but this chapter takes the cake. Everything was so random, it is definitely getting the chop. I forgot why we were having a flashback in Agravity Boys and after this chapter I still dont' know why. An Ayakashi Triangle in which some plot progression actually happened, I'm surprised for once. Best Shakunetsu no Niraikanai chapter so far, the comedy was on point. I like Magu-chan way too much, perfect blend of comedy and wholesome, I really hope this one keeps the quality going for a while (I'm still in need of a Magu-chan plushie).

At this point I care way too little about Ghostwriter, I just want to know where this is going instead of being invested. I can never get enough of Lance, this was a pretty cool chapter. Chainsaw Man had one of the most depressing chapters I've read in a while, I don't think I'll ever get over what happened. Really good chapters from Act-Age and My Hero Academia. Jujutsu Kaisen made curious about the next chapter.
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland

Reading comments (unsurprising) people don't like most of newbie manga in Jump. Curious what are opinions on japanese twitter. But at the end of the day twitter not represent real life.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Reading the current chapters of Yozakura and the plot that is being built I feel that at some point in history the author will insert clones in the manga.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Mitama Security - Such a heartfelt chapter. It seems like Mitama's incredibly generous run is finally coming to an end, and I really hope the series can have an amazing and wholesome ending that matches the tone of the whole series thus far.
2. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Hilarious chapter. Magu-chan is the perfect blend of arrogant and unintentionally caring. I hope it gets good rankings.
3. Chainsaw Man - I'm not crying, you're crying. For the love of everything, protect Power at all costs!
4. Undead Unluck - Gosh, you can't help but feel bad for poor Tatiana. I'm at least glad she seems to have had a good parental relationship with Billy.
5. Act-Age - The build-up in this arc has been my favorite over the past few arcs. I'm feeling pretty hyped for this taiga drama.

The best of the rest:
6. Mashle - The art used in both spells was excellent. Eagerly awaiting the next battle.
7. Mission: Yozakura Family - Good chapter. The author does a pretty nice job making the characters' serious poses look super cool. Still needed some Mutsumi.
8. Moriking - Pretty funny chapter, even though some of the bug mating humor was a little odd at times.
9. We Never Learn - Glad that this arc ended, but I suppose it was as good as it could be. Felt pretty safe and generic when compared to the other 2 previous arcs, like all of Fumino's arc chapters could've been merged into 2 or maybe 3 chapters and it would've had the same impact. Uruka route > Fumino route > Riza route
10. Ayakashi Triangle - Kind of a strange chapter. I'm not really a fan of that other ninja guy.
11. Me & Roboco - This basically ended up this high mostly because the others below it were so bad. Not really funny, but not outright atrocious this time.
12. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - I'm not sure this series knows what it wants to be. Half completely out-there and not that funny comedy, half strange serious moments. The whole ocean theme doesn't seem to be working that well for me.
13. Agravity Boys - Thank goodness this arc seems to be over. Maybe we'll finally get some HDB again.
14. Bone Collection - Even without the ID thing, it should be painfully obvious that this is getting axed. This was probably originally meant to be at least a volume's worth of battles and developments jammed into a single chapter. I feel bad for the author, but hopefully they'll take some time to improve their artwork, storytelling, and pacing.
15. Time Paradox Ghostwriter - Really disliked this chapter. This also feels like it's barreling towards the ax at full speed. It wouldn't surprise me if this ends the issue after Bone Collection. A real shame that Date's artwork got attached to such a chaotic story.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top