Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Really loved TPGW this week (and from the beginning of the serie). I would like it to succeed in the WSJ, however it may be a little too mature for WSJ audience as the treated topics can be heavy (death by burnout is kinda harsh for teenagers imo). We'll see how it will sell but I'm trying to not get my hopes too high!
Yeeeeaaaah...Bakuman did that also, and it was a big hit. So I hardly think that was the reason for TimePara failing.

~~

Incidentally, anyone's thoughts on this?

 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Yeeeeaaaah...Bakuman did that also, and it was a big hit. So I hardly think that was the reason for TimePara failing.

~~

Incidentally, anyone's thoughts on this?

Even when the final arc starts it’ll probably be a long one. But I’m guess the arc after Wano will definitely be the final one
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
After Wano we maybe entering a final saga, we need to include Shanks, finding the last road poneglyph, the void century, a war tearing down the world government, Blackbeard, dealing with Big mom(if not done in this arc in it's final act in Fishmen island while it also gets destroyed and the fishmen seeking a new home on land) and finding the One piece. I just hope none of the above gets off screened
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Sket Dance
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Looking at when the new series got serialized, it seems that Sket Dance was pretty lucky that the following serialization round was just one new series and that there was an open slot. So they didn't have to cancel anything. So by the time the next serialization round came around, Sket Dance's rankings had already improved enough for it to survive. I guess this is a very rare case though where a series starts at the bottom and then climbs out.

Though it was also at a time, with more established series to compete with in Jump. I'd say it's a lot easier right now for new series to rank well in ToC than it was back then, given that over half of the series in Jump right now still hasn't had its first anniversary.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I doubt the "ending series in succession" is more stressful than turning around years of declining circulation numbers and the lack of Naruto + HxH + BLeach level replacements .
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
The previous number (21m) was Japan-only, right? So that means it sold ~3m in the rest of the world
It was already worldwide (and with digital). It's a really random increase.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, this was a strong WSJ week. Liked a lot of chapters.

MHA: Color page didn't wow me but the side charas this chapter did. Nice going, guys! You don't need 7 Quirks to be a cool hero! <3

Dr. Stone: That got really serious! Shame we didn't got to see Kohaku's expression at the news. Chrome looked badass last page.

OP: If you only care for like 2 out of like 20 Arc characters it is hard to care for the Arc overall even if it is an interesting one.

AA: Are we sure those three aren't blood related at all? *insert obligatory Satsuki is cure here*

Mashle: I liked the respect a lot there, very nice, the battle however was meh for me because of this whole "my magic trumps your magic, lamo" which isn't as fun when Mash does it with his OPM power, probably because his power ain't magic. Also as easy as it was to read and as awesome and cool the double-spreads looked the many pages with the block panels stacked one after another like a bad Jenga tower felt a little "chuncky" after a while, I like it more when it has a "flow" to it.

M&R: How did the mangaka knew what I looked like at 20? oO

CSM: God.... damn.... ffffffffffffffffffffffff........... *cries*

Magu-chan:
How can a god of destruction be so wholesome? <3

UU: This was a good flashback, short, to the point, not only about one character's background and reasoning but also another character who is very important to the former character's setting. Tatiana got a cool power and I liked the slow-mo pages for it. Like @TyVip said in the UU thread the paneling choice is really nice here. The ending was interesting as to see how they gonna battle next chapter while being "occupied" like that.^^

JjK: Really liked the hand motion double page. <3 Is it strange I am not missing the MC that much?^^; The Villain is just so goddamn badass!

AT: Lol, Matsuri confirmed a pure girl. XD Also how many sweets Suzu can eat? Answer: ALL OF THEM! xD No idea why anyone would be mad at the ending, it makes sense in the context and the potential about Suzu is interesting.

BC: Don't read it.

HBCD: Ok, that transformation and kiddo part were funny, I did not expect THAT sight, at all. Kiddo got moves, man. XD

AB: Wondering if this will die after Mitama and BoneC or if it gets to live a bit longer. The friendship between the boys was pretty sweet. And damn, Geralt was handsome and cool! Like right now, he is might still be considered handsome but cool? Not really.^^

Moriking: Pet's shipping their owners and explaining them the bees and flower stuff, lol.

WNL:
Man, big guns indeed. Finally over, was my least favorite arc so far. Let's see what the Senpai got in for her, have a feeling it might be a rather short one.

Mitama: You wouldn't feel it is supposed to end next week. It lived longer than S8, the Birdman can be proud. And maybe it gets to live on in another mag?

Yozakura: A pretty good chapter but it still feels like it is going full speed ahead to the final. Besides AB another candidate of which I am not sure if it gonna live a bit longer or end in some dozen or so chapters.

BoneC: Good riddance! This was GotW speed! Unlucky it didn't got as lucky to narrowly avoid the U19 club like GotW did but it really felt out of time, like something that would have succeeded 20 or more years ago and would have felt fresh then. I won't miss it tbh.

TPG: ....Sigh. You ask that now, Teppei? Seriously? While the ending is pretty nice as in "nicely interesting", I feel like this was something planned waaaaaaaay later to be shown into the story and was pulled ahead because this series is also close to finishing.


About TPG, it had a lot of potential unused and you can blame who you want but personally I put most, not all, of the blame on the Mangaka and the editor of the series for not creating a more vast and interesting character cast (like only two really ever mattered and even those two didn't interact that much with each other), a leading MC duo to avoid monologue after monologue chapter of one character (like just use Aino as 2nd MC for Christ sake! An obsessed Normie and an obsessed Genius is a good mix, with one being the better artist and on being the better writer!), less whining (you didn't kill anyone, Teppei, stop being so overdramatic) more "Bakuman" focus as in how mangas get produced and what you as a Mangaka can do to improve a series or how to highlight stuff or how to properly characterize characters or "show don't tell" etc. Biggest Issue for me was that Aino was never let in on the "secret" because THAT could have solved a lot of the problems this series had after the 2nd chapter.
Yeah, I don't see this surviving for the rest of the year and I don't really want it to do so either. It is sad for those who liked it but blaming only the Japanese audience for the incoming axe ain't right either.

With BoneC it is just the art and the overdone demon stuff that AT seemingly getting more attention from WSJ readers due its art, fame of Mangaka and the whole Exorcist matter being twice in Jump not really giving its Editorship much choice in which Exorcist series to cut.

Mitama, dunno what it is, maybe it is the humor though I expected that to be right up the alley of Japanese Humor or maybe the characters themselves as lovely as I find them or maybe it is just that the ghosts weren't as interesting like say in Mieruko-chan where the ghosts are not just a big part but THE big part of the series while in Mitama they are mostly there as audience and commentators of the humans doing their stuff. Maybe a stronger focus on exorcism could have helped as well. Again AT coming didn't helped but as a gag series I expected it to live next to a romcom series.

AB, I like it but I can see why many WSJ readers don't. Still it is a Sci-Fi story with an unusual cast for Jump circumstances so I hope it will at least live as long as Mitama or Yozakura before it find its end. I know that ain't much but without much sale increase and rankings mostly being better due others being worse I believe this might be the most I can hope for. Hopefully it gonna be the Yozakura treatment as that one gonna run longer than Mitama but I don't really expect that to be the case.

Well, with so many series ending for sure or being in a scary position to be axed any moment, this might be the time for WSJ to introduce some more Sport series to us. Maybe Paintball, maybe a racing series, maybe IceHockey or a Sci-Fi/Fantasy made-up sport due technology and magic or even an Computergame Sport considering it is seen in Asian parts as a sport like Go and Chess. Personally I'd like to see a Sci-Fi racing manga and a "Paintball" Fantasy manga where war is a sport to sort things out between nations, kingdoms and races.^^
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I only read the korean scans, but I’m like 99% sure that was a fake-out in AT. I’ll check the next chapter to be sure.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I doubt the "ending series in succession" is more stressful than turning around years of declining circulation numbers and the lack of Naruto + HxH + BLeach level replacements .
Oh. WSJ has been a lot worse.

Remember there was a time where Dragon Ball ended, but One Piece doesn't exist yet.
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Oh. WSJ has been a lot worse.

Remember there was a time where Dragon Ball ended, but One Piece doesn't exist yet.
They had Kenshin and Hunter at that time I think. Do series they have now have such level?
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Yeah, this was a strong WSJ week. Liked a lot of chapters.

MHA: Color page didn't wow me but the side charas this chapter did. Nice going, guys! You don't need 7 Quirks to be a cool hero! <3

Dr. Stone: That got really serious! Shame we didn't got to see Kohaku's expression at the news. Chrome looked badass last page.

OP: If you only care for like 2 out of like 20 Arc characters it is hard to care for the Arc overall even if it is an interesting one.

AA: Are we sure those three aren't blood related at all? *insert obligatory Satsuki is cure here*

Mashle: I liked the respect a lot there, very nice, the battle however was meh for me because of this whole "my magic trumps your magic, lamo" which isn't as fun when Mash does it with his OPM power, probably because his power ain't magic. Also as easy as it was to read and as awesome and cool the double-spreads looked the many pages with the block panels stacked one after another like a bad Jenga tower felt a little "chuncky" after a while, I like it more when it has a "flow" to it.

M&R: How did the mangaka knew what I looked like at 20? oO

CSM: God.... damn.... ffffffffffffffffffffffff........... *cries*

Magu-chan: How can a god of destruction be so wholesome? <3

UU: This was a good flashback, short, to the point, not only about one character's background and reasoning but also another character who is very important to the former character's setting. Tatiana got a cool power and I liked the slow-mo pages for it. Like @TyVip said in the UU thread the paneling choice is really nice here. The ending was interesting as to see how they gonna battle next chapter while being "occupied" like that.^^

JjK: Really liked the hand motion double page. <3 Is it strange I am not missing the MC that much?^^; The Villain is just so goddamn badass!

AT: Lol, Matsuri confirmed a pure girl. XD Also how many sweets Suzu can eat? Answer: ALL OF THEM! xD No idea why anyone would be mad at the ending, it makes sense in the context and the potential about Suzu is interesting.

BC: Don't read it.

HBCD: Ok, that transformation and kiddo part were funny, I did not expect THAT sight, at all. Kiddo got moves, man. XD

AB: Wondering if this will die after Mitama and BoneC or if it gets to live a bit longer. The friendship between the boys was pretty sweet. And damn, Geralt was handsome and cool! Like right now, he is might still be considered handsome but cool? Not really.^^

Moriking: Pet's shipping their owners and explaining them the bees and flower stuff, lol.

WNL: Man, big guns indeed. Finally over, was my least favorite arc so far. Let's see what the Senpai got in for her, have a feeling it might be a rather short one.

Mitama: You wouldn't feel it is supposed to end next week. It lived longer than S8, the Birdman can be proud. And maybe it gets to live on in another mag?

Yozakura: A pretty good chapter but it still feels like it is going full speed ahead to the final. Besides AB another candidate of which I am not sure if it gonna live a bit longer or end in some dozen or so chapters.

BoneC: Good riddance! This was GotW speed! Unlucky it didn't got as lucky to narrowly avoid the U19 club like GotW did but it really felt out of time, like something that would have succeeded 20 or more years ago and would have felt fresh then. I won't miss it tbh.

TPG: ....Sigh. You ask that now, Teppei? Seriously? While the ending is pretty nice as in "nicely interesting", I feel like this was something planned waaaaaaaay later to be shown into the story and was pulled ahead because this series is also close to finishing.


About TPG, it had a lot of potential unused and you can blame who you want but personally I put most, not all, of the blame on the Mangaka and the editor of the series for not creating a more vast and interesting character cast (like only two really ever mattered and even those two didn't interact that much with each other), a leading MC duo to avoid monologue after monologue chapter of one character (like just use Aino as 2nd MC for Christ sake! An obsessed Normie and an obsessed Genius is a good mix, with one being the better artist and on being the better writer!), less whining (you didn't kill anyone, Teppei, stop being so overdramatic) more "Bakuman" focus as in how mangas get produced and what you as a Mangaka can do to improve a series or how to highlight stuff or how to properly characterize characters or "show don't tell" etc. Biggest Issue for me was that Aino was never let in on the "secret" because THAT could have solved a lot of the problems this series had after the 2nd chapter.
Yeah, I don't see this surviving for the rest of the year and I don't really want it to do so either. It is sad for those who liked it but blaming only the Japanese audience for the incoming axe ain't right either.

With BoneC it is just the art and the overdone demon stuff that AT seemingly getting more attention from WSJ readers due its art, fame of Mangaka and the whole Exorcist matter being twice in Jump not really giving its Editorship much choice in which Exorcist series to cut.

Mitama, dunno what it is, maybe it is the humor though I expected that to be right up the alley of Japanese Humor or maybe the characters themselves as lovely as I find them or maybe it is just that the ghosts weren't as interesting like say in Mieruko-chan where the ghosts are not just a big part but THE big part of the series while in Mitama they are mostly there as audience and commentators of the humans doing their stuff. Maybe a stronger focus on exorcism could have helped as well. Again AT coming didn't helped but as a gag series I expected it to live next to a romcom series.

AB, I like it but I can see why many WSJ readers don't. Still it is a Sci-Fi story with an unusual cast for Jump circumstances so I hope it will at least live as long as Mitama or Yozakura before it find its end. I know that ain't much but without much sale increase and rankings mostly being better due others being worse I believe this might be the most I can hope for. Hopefully it gonna be the Yozakura treatment as that one gonna run longer than Mitama but I don't really expect that to be the case.

Well, with so many series ending for sure or being in a scary position to be axed any moment, this might be the time for WSJ to introduce some more Sport series to us. Maybe Paintball, maybe a racing series, maybe IceHockey or a Sci-Fi/Fantasy made-up sport due technology and magic or even an Computergame Sport considering it is seen in Asian parts as a sport like Go and Chess. Personally I'd like to see a Sci-Fi racing manga and a "Paintball" Fantasy manga where war is a sport to sort things out between nations, kingdoms and races.^^
look if he was a bakuman 2.0 when a time travel would be inserted?

Even a few chapters had many people wanting time travel to be worked on.

In my opinion, it is very selfish to blame the mangaka and the editors, nobody has a crystal ball to know that the manga would be badly received.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
They had Kenshin and Hunter at that time I think. Do series they have now have such level?
They have One Piece now. So, they are likely still in a good position.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
They had Kenshin and Hunter at that time I think
Nope. Hunter x Hunter started after One Piece.

June 1995, DB ended - June 1996, Slam Dunk ended. No matter how big other series, DB and SD were such massive, monumental hit series that these two conclusions would be a gigantic hit to the magazine in any case.
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
They have One Piece now. So, they are likely still in a good position.
Do they? OP selling less, no new real hits and a lot of famous series ending? Yes, Mashie, undead and ayakashi are probably here to stay but I doubt they can become pillar. They need at least one absolute hit. Not just manga that explode and then end but manga that here to stay
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Do they? OP selling less, no new real hits and a lot of famous series ending? Yes, Mashie, undead and ayakashi are probably here to stay but I doubt they can become pillar. They need at least one absolute hit. Not just manga that explode and then end but manga that here to stay
This is really bizzare to me because it seems to act like these manga are like a market chain and not works of art which develop mass interest. There is nothing Jump can do to control the tides on what is successful, unless you somehow think a fairy is in Nakano's bedroom.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
The manga will be released on Monday 8/10.
Will Toc be leaked later? Friday for example.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top