Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,440
Reaction score
39,297
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Briefly going through the recent chapters of Ayakashi, the fanservice seems to have increased dramatically over the past few chapters. I can only assume that's because of reader feedback. So I expect those chapters to do better and I predict the first few chapters to be mid to low.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
621
Reaction score
1,690
Age
40
Country
Italy
My prediction:
Ayakashi Triangle - Mid
Me & Roboco - Low
Magu-chan: God of Destruction - High/Mid
Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin - Mid/Low (sigh)
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
At this point we gotta get used to it, we can certify it as a hit. It gets way crazier if you get into Twitter and watch all its fujo audience buying shittons of Mashle copies.

This one bought 35 copies of Volume 2.

This one bought 24 copies.

And this one wanted to buy 10 copies but there were only 5 left at their bookstore and asks for it to be restocked soon.
Holy cow. I forget every now and then how crazy the fujo audience gets.
Geez, when people stop assume every female otaku is a fujo?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Briefly going through the recent chapters of Ayakashi, the fanservice seems to have increased dramatically over the past few chapters. I can only assume that's because of reader feedback. So I expect those chapters to do better and I predict the first few chapters to be mid to low.
There’s only 7 chapters. I assume most of these chapters were planned in advance.

And given that Yabuki’s past series, and the fact that Viz didn’t include it on the Shonen Jump app in advance, despite the small amount of fanservice in chapter 1, I’d imagine it was always intended to have lots of fanservice
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Just checked the Shoseki list, all I gotta say is: “LETS GOOOOOOO!” Lmao I’m so frickin happy for Mashle right now.

Yozakura also looks like it managed to grow, good for it and for Gondaira, man got back in the game after Poro

And those are not so good places for Moriking and TPGW, guess we gotta wait and see
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Geez, when people stop assume every female otaku is a fujo?
When did either of us state that every female otaku is a fujo? You're literally just making assumptions and getting offended by those self made assumptions. lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There’s only 7 chapters. I assume most of these chapters were planned in advance.

And given that Yabuki’s past series, and the fact that Viz didn’t include it on the Shonen Jump app in advance, despite the small amount of fanservice in chapter 1, I’d imagine it was always intended to have lots of fanservice
Viz probably didn't include it because of Yabuki's past series though. It's a logical assumption that his new series will have the popular elements of his past series, even if they weren't there.
But I guess we won't ever know if the increase in fanservice was planned or included due to reader feedback. Unless they do an interview and someone asks that question.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It doth appear that people like mashles more action battle focus over its more gaggy leanings (otherwise people wouldnt be still going after v1 and rushing in droves for v2 if recent chapters turned them off).

Do we know what extras were in v1 or v2

also that seemed like time Paradox is selling quite decently. poor Bone Collection.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Proud of Mashle and Yozakura, hope they’re a bit bigger on the group cover!

As for the current newbie batch... I can’t see Bone and TPGW being anything but dead at this point. Mori could end up being Mitama 2.0 but honestly I was expecting a lot more, everything seemed to be going its way only for this to happen.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Proud of Mashle and Yozakura, hope they’re a bit bigger on the group cover!

As for the current newbie batch... I can’t see Bone and TPGW being anything but dead at this point. Mori could end up being Mitama 2.0 but honestly I was expecting a lot more, everything seemed to be going its way only for this to happen.
As I said before, this Moriking position must be the result of the cannibalization of magu-chan.
But to be clear, when you say cannibalization, I'm not saying that magu-chan will be more popular than Moriking or be a hit on the shonen jump.
I just mean the fact that one kind of sabotaged the other, after all the two are very similar.
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
When did either of us state that every female otaku is a fujo? You're literally just making assumptions and getting offended by those self made assumptions. lol
I just wanted say that, if girls enjoy cute boys they not necessary want make them gay. In those tweets there was nothing fujo.

People often call many series with male characters aimed at girls (otome, reverse harem) or just popular with girls (Haikyuu) fujo series, even if in canon of those manga/anime nothing particuallary gay happend. I assume most girls and boys watch them mainly for diffrent reason than shipping. Shippers are just loud and create many fan art, but they are propably minority of fanbase.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
When did either of us state that every female otaku is a fujo? You're literally just making assumptions and getting offended by those self made assumptions. lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Viz probably didn't include it because of Yabuki's past series though. It's a logical assumption that his new series will have the popular elements of his past series, even if they weren't there.
But I guess we won't ever know if the increase in fanservice was planned or included due to reader feedback. Unless they do an interview and someone asks that question.
I’m pretty sure Viz has chapters weeks in advanced to keep up with translations.

And I can’t find a source, but I’m pretty someone posted a interview in this thread before where either a mangaka or editor stated that Jump mangaka are usually always about 5 or so chapters ahead of the actual chapter that’s in the magazine
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Proud of Mashle and Yozakura, hope they’re a bit bigger on the group cover!

As for the current newbie batch... I can’t see Bone and TPGW being anything but dead at this point. Mori could end up being Mitama 2.0 but honestly I was expecting a lot more, everything seemed to be going its way only for this to happen.
It's still early days but if Moriking does eventually end with a shorter lifespan than we might have expected at least it can be written into the story fairly naturally. From the start the narration has made it clear that the story takes place over just a few months, so if anything it might have been more of a stretch for it to be a long-running series.

As I said before, this Moriking position must be the result of the cannibalization of magu-chan.
But to be clear, when you say cannibalization, I'm not saying that magu-chan will be more popular than Moriking or be a hit on the shonen jump.
I just mean the fact that one kind of sabotaged the other, after all the two are very similar.
Moriking, Magu-chan, and Me & Roboco all have the exact same set-up of younger kid + wacky mascot character doing hijinks together. It's gonna be touch for all of survive at the same time, though at least Me & Roboco seems to distance itself a little by aiming for a younger demographic.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
dont we have new mangaplus ID's?
At this point we gotta get used to it, we can certify it as a hit. It gets way crazier if you get into Twitter and watch all its fujo audience buying shittons of Mashle copies.

This one bought 35 copies of Volume 2.

This one bought 24 copies.

And this one wanted to buy 10 copies but there were only 5 left at their bookstore and asks for it to be restocked soon.
If a thousand Fujos buy around 20 volumes each, that is 20k sales alone due Fujos. Damn, what a market! oO
But why seems Mashle to be a bigge Fujo magnet than AB?
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So tomorrow the great Yaiba wall will go up again and we gonna see a massive drop of like 15+ places at the very least for all series?
Not exactly tomorrow, sometimes it takes a few days for it to show, but it should still happen week.

I just saw nobody mentioned it, but MASHLE Volume 1 is now back at Shoseki on #77.
I was wondering if Mashle didn't perform well in the awarg thing coming out this month so they didn't give Mashle 1 more reprints, but I guess they just gave it a good amount the first time lol. Bouncing back that much is crazy.

Is 77 then really low on daily? Because I remember that while Mashle 1 stayed for a long time in the top500 it was usually in the 450+ places and then it disappeared a couple days ago.
That is usually where'd you see backlog of popular series or series which have anime airing, which means this is good, should it stay there for a while then it's even better.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I just wanted say that, if girls enjoy cute boys they not necessary want make them gay. In those tweets there was nothing fujo.

People often call many series with male characters aimed at girls (otome, reverse harem) or just popular with girls (Haikyuu) fujo series, even if in canon of those manga/anime nothing particuallary gay happend. I assume most girls and boys watch them mainly for diffrent reason than shipping. Shippers are just loud and create many fan art, but they are propably minority of fanbase.
Most series in WSJ have nothing particularly gay happen in them. Kuroko, Haikyuu are still considered Fujo series for a reason because the fujo community is large around these series.
Mashle has very attractive and cool characters similar to these two. It's not a wrong assumption that there would be a fujo following for these already.

Do the 3 examples RafGL posted confirm 100% they were fujo? No. But can you prove they are just regular otaku either? No. So this discussion is pointless.

Lastly, stop putting words in other people's mouths. Neither of us said all female otakus are fujo. I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of female readers are just your average otaku. I'm sure literally everyone here knows this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I’m pretty sure Viz has chapters weeks in advanced to keep up with translations.

And I can’t find a source, but I’m pretty someone posted a interview in this thread before where either a mangaka or editor stated that Jump mangaka are usually always about 5 or so chapters ahead of the actual chapter that’s in the magazine
Pretty sure it was 3 chapters ahead. But I'll wait for someone to confirm.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
If a thousand Fujos buy around 20 volumes each, that is 20k sales alone due Fujos. Damn, what a market! oO
But why seems Mashle to be a bigge Fujo magnet than AB?
If I’m going by what I’m seeing in this thread, I would say that Mashle pulls ahead of AB simply because it knows where it plays into its strengths while AB has difficulty doing so because it doesn’t know what it wants to be.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Man, what did I wake up to?

Today shoud be interesting: Day 2 sales and the group cover TOC that will give us an idea as to each manga's status.

I would consider it so, but it seems to be that no matter it's growth or how long it survives, it will be considered the one that "just got lucky" time and time again, so. Maybe we'll wait a few more volumes and see if everyone can reach a consensus on it.
I'm caught between both because on one hand, it's lasted for so long because Jump has a lot of empty spaces and it's a series that hasnt sold decently but is selling better than other newbies. But on the other hand, it is growing, if so ever slowly, and it does seem to be legitimately establishing itself. I know not every Jump manga has to sell gangbusters, but I just wish Yozakura sold/grew more, so I can at least say that it's become an established series instead of just saying that "while sales are okay, it's still quite lucky considering Jump's circumstances."
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
Do the 3 examples RafGL posted confirm 100% they were fujo? No. But can you prove they are just regular otaku either?
So why calling them fujo, not just fangirls?

Lastly, stop putting words in other people's mouths. Neither of us said all female otakus are fujo. I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of female readers are just your average otaku. I'm sure literally everyone here knows this.
I think it was fairly obvious that was hyperbole... I guess not...

So this discussion is pointless.
Agree.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top