Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,428
Reaction score
39,239
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Moving a little bit of topic. Since it seems snk final season will air in October. I'm kinda worried with JJK. Or I should not worry at all and it's in good hands with Mappa?
 

CrOF

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
91
Reaction score
281
Age
30
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Space Battleship Silver Seven by Tadahiro Miura.

I think it's noteworthy to say that there's basically little to no ecchi, the single panty shot all there was of it. The action scenes and the machine parts were also really well drawn. I actually think he had a lot more material for this oneshot but had to squeeze all of it within this page count, at least that's how the pacing feels to me.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,558
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Space Battleship Silver Seven by Tadahiro Miura.

It’s a nice little oneshot. It’s more like Miura drew it for fun and not necessarily to prepare for serialization.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Moving a little bit of topic. Since it seems snk final season will air in October. I'm kinda worried with JJK. Or I should not worry at all and it's in good hands with Mappa?
Different teams. Park Sunghoo has been doing an absolutely amazing job with The God of High School, the action is crazy, some of the best fights I've ever seen, and it just keeps going. Since Park Sunghoo is also directing Jujutsu Kaisen, we can expect animators that worked on The God of High School to also have joined Jujutsu Kaisen's production, plus some animators from other circles. Also, supposedly The God of High School wrapped up production a while ago so they had time to work on Jujutsu Kaisen. (Plus, there's no confirmation the new Shingeki no Kyojin season will air in October and since we're in August already, I'm pretty sure it is going to air next year only).
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Moving a little bit of topic. Since it seems snk final season will air in October. I'm kinda worried with JJK. Or I should not worry at all and it's in good hands with Mappa?
The October airdate for attack on Titan final season was from 2019 after the last episode of s3 came out. If you check the MAPPA trailer and visual/announcement they is no airdate attached to it. So it is entirely possible that attack on Titan is going to be moved forward + what @Ryuusei said above
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
So why calling them fujo, not just fangirls?



I think it was fairly obvious that was hyperbole... I guess not...



Agree.
I think it's fairly obvious the classification of "fujoshi' is often used in hyperbole as well.
It's a jokingly descriptive name that stuck. The word is now more aligned with "crazy female fangirls" than it is specifically obsessing over gay male character ships.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Moving a little bit of topic. Since it seems snk final season will air in October. I'm kinda worried with JJK. Or I should not worry at all and it's in good hands with Mappa?
After seeing GOHS I think in terms of quality it’s good. I’m more so concerned about it being possibly overshadowed due to it being in a season filled with big sequels and remakes.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Space Battleship Silver Seven by Tadahiro Miura.

I'm going to read this later but it seems that Miura really does want to move away from ecchi stuff. Yuragi's end was most likely his decision.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I'm more concerned with JJK's adaptation more so than the quality of the animation for the reasons mentioned above. I don't want to see it get rushed. I paused my read through of JJK at the origin of obedience arc and that seems to be an okay point to stop season 1 at (assuming it's 2 cour).

I hope they make the power/battle system more understandable/fleshed out. The manga doesn't do a good job explaining it imo. Also it feels like something is skipped reading from chapter to chapter, in some cases it feels like they suddenly skip to something else in the following chapter. It doesn't make an immersive reading experience for those reasons. Those are my main issues with the manga so far so I'm hoping the anime helps with that.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Different teams. Park Sunghoo has been doing an absolutely amazing job with The God of High School, the action is crazy, some of the best fights I've ever seen, and it just keeps going. Since Park Sunghoo is also directing Jujutsu Kaisen, we can expect animators that worked on The God of High School to also have joined Jujutsu Kaisen's production, plus some animators from other circles. Also, supposedly The God of High School wrapped up production a while ago so they had time to work on Jujutsu Kaisen. (Plus, there's no confirmation the new Shingeki no Kyojin season will air in October and since we're in August already, I'm pretty sure it is going to air next year only).
Crunchyroll did an interview with the composer for both Jujutsu Kaisen and God of High School and when they asked him how he got brought on to GOHS he mentioned meeting Park through Jujutsu Kaisen and always referred to Jujutsu Kaisen in past tense. I'm not sure when music is usually done but it sounds like Jujutsu's was complete before GOHS started airing and work had started on Jujutsu quite a while ago so I'm not too worried. (Interview is here. I can't find the exact quote but I think it's fairly early )
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Once jjk becomes popular I hope it doesn’t turn into the bnha, black clover, and kny fanbase. I also hope it doesn’t become the “overrated” anime and actually gets the respect it deserves, the former being a fate that a lot of jump battle manga face when they become popular with the only exceptions being JJBA, HxH, and AsCl (most underrated jump series in the US).
Oh it almost certainly will. Almost anything that reaches mainstream popularity develops some version of a toxic fanbase, even moreso when it comes to those sorts of action/battle shonen. Unless you're a JJBA or HxH and operate by completely different genre conventions or are a comedy hybrid like AsCl or Gintama it's all a competition between fanbases to prove why one is better than the other. Happens with every piece of IP but feels especially loud with those successful action series. Heck, if a fanbase manages to develop its own generalisation (like OP fans being elitists who'll praise everything Oda does/references) then that's a sign of sure success!

As someone who was heavily in the Bleach fandom a decade or so ago, I'd say it was the best group to be a part of because while the series was meme'd to oblivion it was coming from those who read it out of habit and trash talked it on a weekly basis, while the actual fans mainly stuck to themselves and didn't try to pick fights with the groups at the other lunch tables caught in the popularity war.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Oh it almost certainly will. Almost anything that reaches mainstream popularity develops some version of a toxic fanbase, even moreso when it comes to those sorts of action/battle shonen. Unless you're a JJBA or HxH and operate by completely different genre conventions or are a comedy hybrid like AsCl or Gintama it's all a competition between fanbases to prove why one is better than the other. Happens with every piece of IP but feels especially loud with those successful action series. Heck, if a fanbase manages to develop its own generalisation (like OP fans being elitists who'll praise everything Oda does/references) then that's a sign of sure success!

As someone who was heavily in the Bleach fandom a decade or so ago, I'd say it was the best group to be a part of because while the series was meme'd to oblivion it was coming from those who read it out of habit and trash talked it on a weekly basis, while the actual fans mainly stuck to themselves and didn't try to pick fights with the groups at the other lunch tables caught in the popularity war.
This is why I really dislike most of the fandom who follows Jump manga. To me, it always seems you can only like one manga, and everything else has to be inferior in every possible way. Or one manga HAS to be better than the other. Having two or more manga you like is like having two or more wives, apparently. Waaaaay too much vitriol. This is also why I tend to stay away from Twitter unless it's for checking news and leaks.

This is coming from someone who really likes to compare manga and see which does what elements better, by the way. It can make for itneresting discussion when done right, but it often devolves into flame wars.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Toxic fandoms isn't just a manga/anime thing. It exists for anything and everything that is popular.
It's why it always best to stop seeing what people say about something (anime/manga/games/music) and try it out yourself to see if it's your cup of tea.

I've personally been trying to slowly cut back my social media presence because of this and just follow anything and everything I like, not caring about someone else's opinion.

People can shit on Bleach as much as they want. 6 years ago me would've argued back and forth. Present me would just go "meh whatever. I love it and it's enjoyable as fuck for me" and move on.
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
Oh it almost certainly will. Almost anything that reaches mainstream popularity develops some version of a toxic fanbase, even moreso when it comes to those sorts of action/battle shonen. Unless you're a JJBA or HxH and operate by completely different genre conventions or are a comedy hybrid like AsCl or Gintama it's all a competition between fanbases to prove why one is better than the other. Happens with every piece of IP but feels especially loud with those successful action series. Heck, if a fanbase manages to develop its own generalisation (like OP fans being elitists who'll praise everything Oda does/references) then that's a sign of sure success!

As someone who was heavily in the Bleach fandom a decade or so ago, I'd say it was the best group to be a part of because while the series was meme'd to oblivion it was coming from those who read it out of habit and trash talked it on a weekly basis, while the actual fans mainly stuck to themselves and didn't try to pick fights with the groups at the other lunch tables caught in the popularity war.
Toxic fandoms isn't just a manga/anime thing. It exists for anything and everything that is popular.
It's why it always best to stop seeing what people say about something (anime/manga/games/music) and try it out yourself to see if it's your cup of tea.

I've personally been trying to slowly cut back my social media presence because of this and just follow anything and everything I like, not caring about someone else's opinion.

People can shit on Bleach as much as they want. 6 years ago me would've argued back and forth. Present me would just go "meh whatever. I love it and it's enjoyable as fuck for me" and move on.
I agree for the most part, but to imply the Bleach fanbase was innocent is revisionist. They were the main ones crapping on One Piece's artstyle. Not to mention the inferiority complex a portion of the fanbase had/has.
Everything that is popular has a toxic fanbase. There are no exceptions.
 

mangaman93

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Messages
25
Reaction score
46
Age
32
Country
India
Toxic fandoms isn't just a manga/anime thing. It exists for anything and everything that is popular.
It's why it always best to stop seeing what people say about something (anime/manga/games/music) and try it out yourself to see if it's your cup of tea.

I've personally been trying to slowly cut back my social media presence because of this and just follow anything and everything I like, not caring about someone else's opinion.

People can shit on Bleach as much as they want. 6 years ago me would've argued back and forth. Present me would just go "meh whatever. I love it and it's enjoyable as fuck for me" and move on.
Being around here actually changed me on the other direction. When mashle first came out I hated it. But worse is, I had a toxic behaviour which went along the times of “how can people like something like this”, and as humans beings we always have this elitist mindset of justifying our taste with theories of how something is better storytelling or creative.

By being around here and seeing how people take popularity and sales at face value rather than judge people actually changed me for the better. I liked a point RainSpectre made once, which went along the lines of “It isn’t injustice if TPGW is axed, it isn’t popular and thats all there is to it” Really put things into perspective for me and leave an elitist mentality of somehow certain tastes are better. This is not even considering the jump demographic is pretty widespread too but thats for another day.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Also, I been quite surprised by the Digimon remake and I hope this new remake can get the same type treatment and care.
same, just worried about the promotional material they have been showing which doesn't appear to cover a lot in the manga

I really hope they adapt the whole thing and don't end it with Baran vs Dai again

God no, Moriking seems to be rising phoenix 2.0 , but this time with more discussion about is a flop or not.
lol, I was worrying about the return of the phoenix of shonen jump meme ever since I learned about Hasegawa return
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Surprised Viz didn’t announce that they’re translating the new Neverland duo one shot
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I think it's fairly obvious the classification of "fujoshi' is often used in hyperbole as well.
It's a jokingly descriptive name that stuck. The word is now more aligned with "crazy female fangirls" than it is specifically obsessing over gay male character ships.
"Fujoshi" is literally a derogatory term used for female otaku on 2ch that was re-appropriated by them into a term for the BL community. It has zero negative context now.

Surprised Viz didn’t announce that they’re translating the new Neverland duo one shot
Issue is a day late, simple as that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top