Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
YJ #36 • 37
LCP & new series: "Boku, imasu yo" by Motomiya Hiroshi.
CP: Junket Bank, All Right!.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I didn't expect Oshi to chart in its second week as well, such a good debut for YJ.
i think is the best debut in the Oricon Ranking since GK volume 1 in 2015 (20,229 copies in 7 days)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Hakari will debut as a gravure model in next week issue.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

textless version of Junket Bank color spread.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Akebi-chan no Sailor Fuku #7 (Tonari no Young Jump)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Next REAL chapter will be published in YJ #38 (8/20)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Golden Kamuy will be on break in YJ 38, 39.
resume in YJ 40 (9/3).
Almost one month of absence.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
That's ggood, but will it grow? That's the real important question. Young Jump seems to be in a pretty damn comfortable position, but that just makes it even harder for the newbies to really find footing. I'm getting worried about 100 Girlfriends in particular. Kubo's doing well for itself, Kowloon sold more than Kubo, and now Oshi no Ko seems to be on it's way to selling more than Kowloon. I dunno the full lineup of Young Jump series and how well they sell, but still. I want 100 girlfriends to survive considering I feel the other newbies are more or less safe.
Yeah, does anyone have shoseki number for WYJ newest batch.
I want to see how kaguya franchise, oshi no ko, kowloon 2 and shounen no abyss perform.
So... my curiosity got the better of me, and I said "Fuck it."
Here's Shoseki estimates for every Weekly Young Jump series that had their first volume release in 2020.
Volumes listed in red were released while Japan was in a state of emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This will be updated every week. Please tell me if I missed anything or got anything wrong.

There's...quite a bit to unpack, considering the fact that I think every series listed is still running in the magazine. I thought WYJ was in a good place, but it seems to be dealing with a similar situation WSJ is finding itself in.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
WYJ was in a good place
Lmao, if you followed this magazine for the last 2 years, you know that aint true.

a similar situation WSJ is finding itself in.
Worse.
Before Kubo-san, I can't think of any somewhat decent newbie since Kaguya beside Kaguya spin-off.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Lmao, if you followed this magazine for the last 2 years, you know that aint true.



Worse.
Before Kubo-san, I can't think of any somewhat decent newbie since Kaguya beside Kaguya spin-off.
Yeah, I honestly thought Weekly Young Jump was actually doing well until I made this chart and went “Holy shit. They’re really lucky they have Kingdom and Kaguya.”

Things seem to be getting better, though. Oshi no Ko and Kowloon are performing quite well for newbies (especially Oshi no Ko. Two weeks on Oricon? Damn.) Kubo is proving to be the best-selling newbie in a while, and 100 Girlfriends is selling pretty decently IMO. Those 4 are going to live, specifically because they’re actually charting. XD
 

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
Boku, Imasu yo color page.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

YJ 36•37 no chapter: Terra Formars, Kowloon Generic Romance, Abakumono!, Binbin Fukufuku Nazuna-sama!
--- Double Post Merged, ---

YJ 36•37 cover.

*Bottom left corner*
"100 Kanojo" : 100,000 copies
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Boku, Imasu yo color page.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

YJ 36•37 no chapter: Terra Formars, Kowloon Generic Romance, Abakumono!, Binbin Fukufuku Nazuna-sama!
--- Double Post Merged, ---

YJ 36•37 cover.

*Bottom left corner*
"100 Kanojo" : 100,000 copies
Nice, same print count as Kubo! Series is definitely gonna survive! Really glad the three romances I want to live seem to be living. Perhaps Weekly Young Jump could be entertaing a romance age or something. XD

Kubo-san also got a "100,000 copies in print" announcement along with a gravure model promotion about a month ago, actually, and that series is one I'd more confidently say is a success, so I feel as if 100 Girlfriends is safe.
 
Last edited:

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
Shoseki Weekly Top 500 (7/27 - 8/2)

Young Jump july volumes (7/17)


• 22 - Kaguya-sama #19
• 62 - Oshi no Ko #1
• 175 - Kaguya-sama Official Doujin #4 (end)
• 222- Kowloon Generic Romance #2
• 451 - Kaguya-sama wo Kataritai #3

30位40400/ 50位20200/ 100位9850/ 200位5150/ 300位3950/ 400位3100/ 500位2450
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Junket Bank color page

All Right! color page.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Boku, imasu yo color pages.

will receive a color page in next issue (20/8)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

YJ #38 (8/20)
LCP: Jupiteria.
CP: Real, GANTZ:E, Boku, imasu yo.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

100 kanojo : 150,000 copies
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Shoseki Weekly Top 500 (7/27 - 8/2)

Young Jump july volumes (7/17)


• 22 - Kaguya-sama #19
• 62 - Oshi no Ko #1
• 175 - Kaguya-sama Official Doujin #4 (end)
• 222- Kowloon Generic Romance #2
• 451 - Kaguya-sama wo Kataritai #3

30位40400/ 50位20200/ 100位9850/ 200位5150/ 300位3950/ 400位3100/ 500位2450
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Junket Bank color page

All Right! color page.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Boku, imasu yo color pages.

will receive a color page in next issue (20/8)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

YJ #38 (8/20)
LCP: Jupiteria.
CP: Real, GANTZ:E, Boku, imasu yo.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

100 kanojo : 150,000 copies
Even better. Now I'm actually confident that 100 Girlfriends is going to survive. My 4 romances all doing so well, truly a wonderful time...
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Lol, so the number changed already? Well, good for the series.
 

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
All Right color page textless version.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

GANTZ is trending on twitter because of the collaboration with Travis Japan in next issue.
over 11k tweets.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

(so sexy)
source: jaminis box
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Junket Bank color page textless version
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Young Jump Sports cover (8/17)
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I have some questions:
Which WYJ series do you think will be axed in the near future?
Which WYJ series do you think will survive?
Which WYJ series do you think are stable?

Barring it's three pillars and Bungo, of course. If you can, please elaborate a bit.

Looking at the roster, there's some series that sell really poorly but have survived because they managed to be stable and at least chart. I dunno if they'll be around - mainly depends on how many more successful series the magazine gets. I also have absolutely no idea if Boy's Abyss will join this stable, low selling tier. (If the magazine was in a better position this would be axe fodder, but...it charted on Shoseki. More than I can say for some other series. Though, these sales are abyss-mal considering this is a veteran...)
Which may be sooner than one thinks, as between the new romcoms and Oshi no Ko, WYJ seems to have FINALLY gotten some series that they can call successful. I'm pretty sure Kowloon's selling on par with Bungo, and Oshi no Ko's off to an explosive start, as well. Kubo and 100 Girlfriends also seem to have found success.
 
Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
I think Kowloon (my personal favorite), Kubo (still need to read) and 100 Girlfriends should all be able to stick around for a decent amount, but really I have no clue what the peaks for the later two could be. I can see Kowloon getting to some pretty solid levels later on, but probably not to the extent that someone would traditionally think of for a "pillar".

As much as I like Oshi no Ko and am happy for it's popularity, I don't think it really has all that much of a future, it doesn't seem like a story built to last that long, at least in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over in a year and Young Jump will have already lost it's most successful new series.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have some questions:
Which WYJ series do you think will be axed in the near future?
Which WYJ series do you think will survive?
Which WYJ series do you think are stable?

Barring it's three pillars and Bungo, of course. If you can, please elaborate a bit.

Looking at the roster, there's some series that sell really poorly but have survived because they managed to be stable and at least chart. I dunno if they'll be around - mainly depends on how many more successful series the magazine gets. I also have absolutely no idea if Boy's Abyss will join this stable, low selling tier. (If the magazine was in a better position this would be axe fodder, but...it charted on Shoseki. More than I can say for some other series. Though, these sales are abyss-mal considering this is a veteran...)
Which may be sooner than one thinks, as between the new romcoms and Oshi no Ko, WYJ seems to have FINALLY gotten some series that they can call successful. I'm pretty sure Kowloon's selling on par with Bungo, and Oshi no Ko's off to an explosive start, as well. Kubo and 100 Girlfriends also seem to have found success.
Kubo and 100gf are looking like they will be stable enough. 100gf had a print count announced, right? That's a great sign right there, it can probably grow.

Oshi no Ko I am actually less sure. It has a great start, yes, but we still don't know how it's going to perform over time, because it has the bonus of being written by Kaguya's author. It probably will keep doing well, but maybe there are people who picked up just because of Aka's name and decided not to continue.
 

Blue Rock

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
559
Reaction score
2,777
Country
Turkey
I have some questions:
Which WYJ series do you think will be axed in the near future?
Which WYJ series do you think will survive?
Which WYJ series do you think are stable?
"Kubo-san, 100 Kanojo, Kowloon and Oshi no Ko" will stick around. It is still too early to tell where they stand in the magazine, but nevertheless they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

There are no stable/solid or safe series in the magazine. None. All series that could be considered as solid ended in the recent years (Riku-dou, Motoyan, etc.) and there were no replacements. Some of the four new series could fall into this category, but as I said it is still too early to tell.

There were a few series that did considerably better than others and were somewhat stable in the sales (Diner, Batuque and Tiempo). Considering the state of new series in recent years, Young Jump could have kept them around and they didn't. Of course, there could be other reasons for moving those series and Tiempo wasn't really doing that well. Regardless, I don't think anything less than 10k can be considered as OK in Young Jump. Despite having a worse track record when it comes to the new series, their standards are still higher than Sunday (for example).

That being said, Young Jump still has more holes in the magazine than they can fill. So there are series that last more than others. Though lasting more than 2 years is still rare. Most series last 3 or 4 volumes before ending or moving. So which series will last more than others? I could make some guesses, but honestly, there is no way to tell. It is not something you could tell by just looking at Shoseki lists or even TOC replacement.

At the moment we have (Snack Basue, Shadows House, Maid in Hikkomuse, MOMO, Genki-kun). And there is Binbin Fukufuku Nazuna-sama, which did terrible in shoseki, but has been very high in the TOC. It could be the next series that last more than usual. Anyway, the thing is, these series could end or move at any point. They really not doing well enough to avoid that. Regardless of how long they survive, I don't think we can consider them as safe.

Hands, All Right!, Abaku Mono! will most likely end with 3 or 4 volumes, as usual. I honestly don't expect any surprises from those three. I expect Shounen no Abyss to last 4 or 5 volumes, though I won't be surprised if it lasts more than that. I am not saying that because of its sales, there is nothing impressive about reaching shoseki weekly list in the Young Jump.
 
Last edited:

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
Binbin Fukufuku Nazuna-sama! #3
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

pillars... what about Terra Formars.

Yu Sasuga (author of Terra Formars) will publish a new oneshot in YJ Sports, art by "Kanojo no Yasei ga Te ni Oenai" mangaka. Titled "Jounan no Tenshi no Wing".

Last time Sasuga published something was in YJ Battle (10/15/2019), a short story drawn by Kenichi Tachibana (artist of Terra Formars).

That could mean he is now recovered from his health problems and the manga will return eventually (last chapter was published in november 2018)

I can see the series getting transferred to Ultra Jump, the monthly schedule will be healthier...(something similar to World Trigger situation)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
So!

After listening to your feedback, scrolling through the thread for sales numbers and ToC averages, and agonizing over my own ranking for a couple of days, here's my opinion on the state of Weekly Young Jump as of this moment.

NOTE: This isn't a concrete list. Series can and will switch between tiers. Also, I feel like I may be flat out wrong at some points, which I'll explain later. What really made this hard for me was the fact that WYJ has so many flops that end up selling better than newer series, so they stick around. They're supposed to be well axed by now, but the magazine is in such a dire state that they're still here. Nevertheless, I still made my picks.

Now, to explain my choices:
-I don't have concrete sales numbers for Real or Terra Formars, so I dunno if I'd consider them pillars. I think they sell quite well, but while Real has pull, i wouldn't say it's as big as those in the Pillar tier. And I think Terra Formars's best days may be behind it. Then again, these rankings are relative, so who knows? Once I get sales data (god knows when), I'll have a more concrete idea.
-Bungo's selling enough to survive, and so is the Kaguya spinoff. I think that they're selling loads more than most of the newbies, and they've been doing that for a while. But compared to the tiers above it, they're really nothing special.
-Up and Comers is easy to explain: Oshi no Ko and Kowloon are some of the best selling volume 1s for WYJ in years (and it's a good thing too, since they're veterans), while Kubo and 100 Kanojo have the advantage of actually fucking growing. Initially, I was going to put 100 Kanojo in Upper Tier Uncertain territory, but then they said that the series has 150,000 copies in print, so that gave me enough hope. The Da Vinci award noms for the latter three also help. I expect these four to collectively end the cycle of flop newbies, if only temporarily.
-Snack Basue is in Upper Tier Uncertain solely because it's lasted for longer than 2 years in the mag, which is apparently rare. As for Boy's Abyss, there's nothing impressive about charting in Shoseki, I agree. But when you're going up against stuff that fail to even do that, you kind of have an advantage. Still, this is abyss-mal for a veteran author. (why am I using that pun again).
-My solution to my predicament of ranking so many zombie series was to simply make a "likely to be transferred" tier. For those series that can muster some sales and do decently on the ToC, but you know are only here because WYJ is starved for hits and would've been axed in a better year. This is also where I took how long it's been running in the magazine into account.
-I put Hikkomuse in likely to be axed territory instead of axe fodder because while it can't even make Shoseki anymore, it's survived for all that time and I don't see that changing. (I don't think Hikkomuse's announced print count ever increased from 100k tho...) I put Nazuna here because it hasn't made Shoseki at all but is apparently tearing up the ToCs.
-Axe fodder is axe fodder. Worst of the worst. Pretty sure Hands and All Right didn't even make Shoseki dailies, let alone weeklies, which is just terrible. I don't see any of them making it out past the end of the year.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
So!

After listening to your feedback, scrolling through the thread for sales numbers and ToC averages, and agonizing over my own ranking for a couple of days, here's my opinion on the state of Weekly Young Jump as of this moment.

NOTE: This isn't a concrete list. Series can and will switch between tiers. Also, I feel like I may be flat out wrong at some points, which I'll explain later. What really made this hard for me was the fact that WYJ has so many flops that end up selling better than newer series, so they stick around. They're supposed to be well axed by now, but the magazine is in such a dire state that they're still here. Nevertheless, I still made my picks.

Now, to explain my choices:
-I don't have concrete sales numbers for Real or Terra Formars, so I dunno if I'd consider them pillars. I think they sell quite well, but while Real has pull, i wouldn't say it's as big as those in the Pillar tier. And I think Terra Formars's best days may be behind it. Then again, these rankings are relative, so who knows? Once I get sales data (god knows when), I'll have a more concrete idea.
-Bungo's selling enough to survive, and so is the Kaguya spinoff. I think that they're selling loads more than most of the newbies, and they've been doing that for a while. But compared to the tiers above it, they're really nothing special.
-Up and Comers is easy to explain: Oshi no Ko and Kowloon are some of the best selling volume 1s for WYJ in years (and it's a good thing too, since they're veterans), while Kubo and 100 Kanojo have the advantage of actually fucking growing. Initially, I was going to put 100 Kanojo in Upper Tier Uncertain territory, but then they said that the series has 150,000 copies in print, so that gave me enough hope. The Da Vinci award noms for the latter three also help. I expect these four to collectively end the cycle of flop newbies, if only temporarily.
-Snack Basue is in Upper Tier Uncertain solely because it's lasted for longer than 2 years in the mag, which is apparently rare. As for Boy's Abyss, there's nothing impressive about charting in Shoseki, I agree. But when you're going up against stuff that fail to even do that, you kind of have an advantage. Still, this is abyss-mal for a veteran author. (why am I using that pun again).
-My solution to my predicament of ranking so many zombie series was to simply make a "likely to be transferred" tier. For those series that can muster some sales and do decently on the ToC, but you know are only here because WYJ is starved for hits and would've been axed in a better year. This is also where I took how long it's been running in the magazine into account.
-I put Hikkomuse in likely to be axed territory instead of axe fodder because while it can't even make Shoseki anymore, it's survived for all that time and I don't see that changing. (I don't think Hikkomuse's announced print count ever increased from 100k tho...) I put Nazuna here because it hasn't made Shoseki at all but is apparently tearing up the ToCs.
-Axe fodder is axe fodder. Worst of the worst. Pretty sure Hands and All Right didn't even make Shoseki dailies, let alone weeklies, which is just terrible. I don't see any of them making it out past the end of the year.
Last real volume sold 407,356 copies in 4 weeks, 484,252 yearly, but it's worth noting that it was december 2014 (but it was bigger than both GK and kaguya, that's for sure). Terraformars' sold 220.985 in 3 which doesn't put it far behind GK and Kaguya, this one was november 2018. Both are likely to have declined in popularity by now though, so who knows how a new volume would do now.
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
32
Country
France
I was wondering, do you think Shueisha will release in the future some titles of the Weekly Young Magazine in the Manga Plus application? The application is a really great asset for non japanese readers. As they made a poll recently on the application I guess thay are still trying to figure out how to make the application profitable. What do you guys think?
 

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
I was wondering, do you think Shueisha will release in the future some titles of the Weekly Young Magazine in the Manga Plus application? The application is a really great asset for non japanese readers. As they made a poll recently on the application I guess thay are still trying to figure out how to make the application profitable. What do you guys think?
From Young Jump there is a re-edition of Tokyo Ghoul and a simulrelease of Terra Formars (they paused it because the manga is on hiatus since november 2018 in Japan, but i don't understand that decision)
New titles? I think they could add Golden Kamuy and Kaguya.
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
32
Country
France
From Young Jump there is a re-edition of Tokyo Ghoul and a simulrelease of Terra Formars (they paused it because the manga is on hiatus since november 2018 in Japan, but i don't understand that decision)
New titles? I think they could add Golden Kamuy and Kaguya.
My wish would even have the whole magazine, as it is currently the case for the Weekly Shonen Jump ! It would allow us to read all the series legaly and at the same time a the japanese readers which is always a cool thing !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top