Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

moeman

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Sekirei in Young Gangan. Excellent action with fan service. Wow big boobs!!!!!
 

twile

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Right now my favorite seinen is Shin Angyo Onshi; the latest chapters are really interesting and the art is getting even better. Another favorite is Vagabond; has some of the best art ever and very detailed backgrounds.
 

Vato Loco!

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
402
Reaction score
126
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

My current favorites are Uncivilized Planet and Tropical Citron. Both done by Jiro Matsumoto, and both are amazing stories. He's quickly turned into one of my favorite mangaka and I can't wait to finish the Milk Crown trilogy so that I can pick up Freesia. Now if only I could find Wendy, and I'd be able to have all of his work. :D
 

Sheard

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

1. GANTZ - Probably the most "mature" manga that I've read so far... It definately has far more nudity, sex and gore than I normally see. It's been very shocking and disturbing at times, but I don't fail to love this series no matter what it does.

2. Akira - This one I would consider a classic must read. I would say that anyone who is into manga but hasn't read Akira (or even watched the anime version) is definately missing out.

3. Chobits - It's Clamp. I tend to like their stuff to the extent that the only time I've felt like this group failed me on a manga series was when X/1999 got discontinued. >.<
 

pep

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Off the top of my head

20th Century Boys: I don´t think I need to explain a lot
Mushishi: such beautiful story and art...
Black & White: I read it a few years ago and I couldn´t believe it. It was my first step into "different" manga, I guess... but it´s not like it made the list just because of my nostalgia or anything. It´s a really crazy manga, unlike anything I ever read.
Hanaotoko: Well, I guess Matsumoto (the author of B&W) is getting old or something... you can see the same crazy things you saw in B&W (like elephants in the backround) and the story is certainly original, but it´s much cuter than B&W :)
Ryuguden: Excelent fantasy manga. A total surprise.
 

Asmodeus

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
26
Reaction score
2
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Gantz is good, but a little too much of an action movie to be considered as good as some of the others.

Berserk is phenomenal. Guts is probably the most well-developed character in manga history (10 volumes of back story? Fuck). Despite all of the supernatural that takes place later, it, at heart is telling a very human story. Guts' quest to save Casca is one to repair his own soul, and at 18 years old it's been going on for a while.

Vagabond is another spectacular series. I'm not that far into it yet, but I can say it is the best drawn series I have ever seen. Period. No questions asked. The story, the retelling of the legend of Miyamoto Musashi is awesome on so many levels. Thumbs up from me.

My favorite out of all of these, though, is Battle Royale. Strange choice? I think not. Battle Royale may be deeply disturbed in some aspects (brutal, unrelenting violence, oversexed in some areas), but it's a story about ordinary people in an extraordinary situation, and about the more bestial side of the human psyche. It is also, for some of the cast involved, a story of redemption. Beautifully drawn, horrifically violent, and heart-wrenchingly sad at times, it is, by and far, my favorite seinen manga.
 

Beowulf

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
24
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Lord Howe Island
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Current favourite is Liar game by Shinobu Kaitani. I'm a bit surprised that very few people in the english-reading manga world know of it (not even a english wiki entry). It's a psychological manga similar to Death Note but without the killing. Great story, art and lots of thinking, along with some interesting plot twists. Most of all, it doesn't have gratuitous violence or sex unlike most of the seinen stuff that is released nowadays.

Used to read Say Hello to Blackjack as well. It's an excellent manga but also a very depressing one, so i didn't really continue collecting it (stopped at vol.10).
 

maaru

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
31
Reaction score
29
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Um, oh hey, first post because I finally got the courage. I've pretty much downloaded most of the manga that the amazing Band of the Hawks had done, and am a big fan of seinen, even though my collection goes through pretty much everything. Fave ones for Seinen are:

Berserk - Guts, gigantic sword, Casca, Griffith, gore, drama, extreme action, how could I say no?
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - I didn't even know this was seinen until I read through this thread. It's so beautiful and relaxing.
Monster - beautiful plot, actually had me breaking out in a cold sweat while reading. Can't say the same for 20th century boys for now, since I'm not up-to-date.
Bokko - War, tactics. It's damn good.
MPD Psycho - I miss this manga, the art is wonderful, even though the plot spiraled to inconceivable convoluted crazy around volume 10, which was the last I read.
Leviathan - same as above. The art is amazingly different than the usual manga style somehow.
Homunculus - Loved the psychological stuff.
Alive - short and simple. Plus the style's great.
Skyhigh - same as above, and I like the mini-stories for every person's choice between heaven and vengeance. Something that Jigoku Shoujo can't hold a candle to.

I think there should be more that I like, but I can't remember for now.

Is Family Compo considered Seinen? The art and style makes me think so.
 
Last edited:

mitokomon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
242
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
Turkey
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Blade of the Immortal, I love it's syle and story, but the latest chapters are ...not boring but not exciting as well.
Dogs; Guns, blades, mystery, hatred... ^^ I love it
Mushishi, has good stories
Skyhigh, same as well
King of the Thorns, I'm not sure if it's seinen -_-' but know that it has a thrilling story
XXXHolic, cause it's Clamp...
Chobits, cause it's Clamp...
 

FHT

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2006
Messages
167
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
Costa Rica
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

I haven't watch or read lots of seinen, but, here are the ones that, in my opinion, are excellent and worth to see.

Battle Royale: Extremely violent and an amazing story. One of the best seinen I've ever read.
Gantz: The person that haven't heard of Gantz, is practically dead. The story is very original and mature in all ways. A Most-read. Note: The anime is great too, but the ending kinda sucks!
Elfen Lied: The only seinen I've seen that can mix violence with love, and make an excellent story. The manga art kinda makes it not so interesting, (in my opinion, that is), but when you grab it, you'll stay until you finish. The anime is, by far, one of the best I've seen.
Chobits: I really don't know if Chobits is a seinen, but since saw it earlier in this thread, it doesn't matter. The story is pretty nice... Original and entertaining ^_^, with lots of sexual innuendoes, but in the end, it's Clamp, and they have disappointed me lots of times, including this one. Why? The ending...
Hellsing: A classic! Now that they are doing the Ultimate OVAs, I'm more into it! The story is simple, but nicely told. Definately, a must-watch/read.

There are other seinen that I've seen too, but not worthy the time to tell....
Aaaand...... I'm done!
:Yondaime
 
Last edited:

shego

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Messages
137
Reaction score
2
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Re: Manga or Anime similiar to Basilisk?

Genesis finally did the fifth chapter, but it looks like they still love IRC, can anyone here RapidShare it?
 

GantzerVSNightmare

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
230
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Seinen Mangas :
π Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, Seinen 2003
Übel Blatt Action, Adventure, Ecchi, Fantasy... 2004
20th Century Boys Drama, Mystery, Seinen 1999
21st Century Boys Action, Mystery, Psychological, Se... 2006
2nd House Comedy, Seinen 2001
6:30, Afternoon, Sunday Seinen --
8 -Eight- Psychological, Seinen 2000
8 Man Infinity Action, Adventure, Sci-fi, Seinen 2004
888 Comedy, Mystery, Seinen 2003
A Spirit of the Sun Drama, Seinen 2002
Abara Action, Sci-fi, Seinen, Supernatura... 2005
Acony Fantasy, Seinen 2005
Addicted to Curry Comedy, Ecchi, Seinen 2001
Adidas Fever - Lust for Life Seinen, Sports 2002
Advance of Z ~The Flag of Titans~ Mecha, Seinen 2003
Advent Seinen 2003
AGAPE Drama, Mystery, Seinen 2004
Age School Life, Seinen, Sports 1985
Ah! My Goddess Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Sein... 1988
Ai Doru Seinen 2005
Ai wa Kagerou Seinen 2005
Ai-Ren Mature, Romance, Sci-fi, Seinen, T... 1999
Aikido Hashimoto Dojo Martial Arts, Seinen 1999
Akagi Seinen, Sports 1991
Akaten Hero! Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Romance... 2002



Akatsuki no Musuko Action, Adventure, Seinen 1999
Akibashou Mature, Mystery, Seinen, Slice of L... 2005
Akira Action, Mature, Sci-fi, Seinen 1982
Akumetsu Action, Adult, Seinen 2002
Alibiya Kagyou Fake Seinen 2004
Alien Nine Sci-fi, Seinen 1998
Alive! Horror, Psychological, Seinen, Sup... --
Always Together Drama, School Life, Seinen --
Amigo X Amiga Ecchi, Seinen, Sports 2006
Amon Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Seine... 2000
Angel (KURODA Iou) Seinen --
Angel Hard Seinen 1995
Anime ga Oshigoto! Seinen 2003
Anjuu no Chi Seinen 2000
Aqua Planet Chronicle Around Seinen, Slice of Life 2007
Aqua Planet Chronicles Seinen 2005
Aqua Planet Chronicles After Seinen 2006
Arakawa Under the Bridge Comedy, Seinen 2004
Araragi Express Seinen --
Arigatou Adult, Drama, Mature, Seinen 1994
Arm of Kannon Fantasy, Horror, Mature, Sci-fi, Se... 1998
Aruku Hito Seinen, Slice of Life 1992
Asagiri no Miko Seinen 2000
Asatte Dance Comedy, Drama, Mature, Romanc... 1989



My Favorites :
Gantz , Shamo , Berserk ,Death Note , Chunchu , Dangu , Akumes=tsu , Battle Royale , King Of Thorns ,
 

killridemedly

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

I'm a sucker for art, so any seinen with uniquely talented art is a winner in my book.

Vagabond
Me and the Devil Blues
Shamo
Blade of the Immortal
BLAME!
SIDOOH
Ravages of Time
Sanctuary
Crying Freeman
 

GantzerVSNightmare

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
230
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

I'm a sucker for art, so any seinen with uniquely talented art is a winner in my book.

Vagabond
Me and the Devil Blues
Shamo
Blade of the Immortal
BLAME!
SIDOOH
Ravages of Time
Sanctuary
Crying Freeman
the one that i Really really really like in your selection is Shamo !!!! Such a great manga !

which part did you reach ??
 

Kane

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Searching for good Seinen-Manga

Hey dudes,
i watched GANTZ Anime, because of ending I started reading the Manga.
First I could read GANTZ from Chapter 01 till 257. Then needed to wait a few days and now read to 259.
While I am waiting for more, I thought i could read/watch a second Manga/Anime.

So, I thought it should or could be violant/gore/horror, a bit Sci-Fi, maybe a bit ecchi and with action.
Well maybe "Battle Royal" could be okay, but saw there is a real movie out and then just watched that.
Maybe should read/watch Berserk (sounds very famous and good?) or Bastard? But thats Fantasy...


So what should I read?
(Name; Souce, where to DL; Genre and anything else that could be immportant)
Thanx for any help^^
 

Vato Loco!

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
402
Reaction score
126
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Searching for good Seinen-Manga

Sounds like you're describing Freesia. It's all you want and more. Violence, horror, gore, psychological, sci-fi-esque, and some mature ecchi content. One of the best series ever written.
 

aminas

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Sweden
Re: Searching for good Seinen-Manga

Blade of the immortal, it's a kick ass manga
 

Kane

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Searching for good Seinen-Manga

Thanx to all of you.
First i will try Freesia, Akumetsu & Kurozuka.
If i like it i will read them to the end, if i don't like them or if i have read it to end i may start reading Berserker or anything else (e.g. Goth or Blade of the immortal or something else).

But you still can/should/may tell me of more good Seinen Mangas^^
 
Top