Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Actually really enjoyed the first chapter of Phantom Seer. It reminded me a lot of Persona
The main character even looks a lot like Yu(the main character of Persona 4)

I don’t know if the whole “controlling phantoms” thing is going to be a thing across every character, or if it’s just the main character’s ability. But I think that’ll be a good way of separating it from Jujutsu Kaisen, the other big exorcist series going on, if it were to go forward and prove successful.
Great art as well
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ghostwriter went out on a whimper, sad.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,553
Reaction score
15,720
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Honomieru Shonen first chapter has been ok for me. It has given me some Jujutsu Kaisen vibes but...dunno. Let's see how it progress.

My Hero Academia has been really superb this week. Probably my favorite chapter of this arc. I think this arc is rising to be one of the best Shonen Jump arcs ever. Very amazing chapter for Chainsawman and Jujutsu Kaisen too. Yozakura Family continues at a very incredible level and Mutsumi is right now the best girl fo the entire magazine. Meanwhile, I've found Dr.Stone this week to be pretty boring tbh.

My rank this week:
My Hero Academia
Chainsawman
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mission of Yozakura Family
Burn the Witch
Ayakashi Triangle
Undead Unluck
Mashle
Magu-chan
Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin
Honomieru Shonen
We Never Learn
Black Clover
Dr.Stone
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Time Paradox Ghostwriter
Me and Roboco
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Actually really enjoyed the first chapter of Phantom Seer. It reminded me a lot of Persona
The main character even looks a lot like Yu(the main character of Persona 4)
I don’t know if the whole “controlling phantoms” thing is going to be a thing across every character, or if it’s just the main character’s ability. But I think that’ll be a good way of separating it from Jujutsu Kaisen, the other big exorcist series going on, if it were to go forward and prove successful.
Great art as well
I think there’s definitely going to be a variety of abilities in this series, so I’m looking forward to it. First chapter was ok. Everything depends on how the chapters go on from here.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Phantom Seer was AWESOME.

I think that’s my favorite first chapter since TPN's first chapter. The art was awesome, everything was easily digestible and I really liked the characters.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Phantom Seer was pretty fun, and the art was great, that double spread was pretty cool. Characters seem fine (the sister is very good), but they're gonna need to grow on me. Let's see.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think there’s definitely going to be a variety of abilities in this series, so I’m looking forward to it. First chapter was ok. Everything depends on how the chapters go on from here.
Well what I mean is I could see it being a similar concept as Stands and Persona’s. Like I could see it being a series where every character can control a phantom. But of course, each Phantom has a unique power and abilities.

I don’t know if that’s the actual route they’re going though. That’s just what I took from Iori’s sister saying “he tamed a power phantom no one else could tame”. Made it sound like taming phantoms was a norm in this world
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Honomieru was definitely fun, it had a bit of a weird start, but it managed to pick up midway through, hope the author has things properly planned out and that it makes this series stand out from other exorcists manga
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Honomieru was definitely fun, it had a bit of a weird start, but it managed to pick up midway through, hope the author has things properly planned out and that it makes this series stand out from other exorcists manga
From exorcism mango to jumping it has only jujutsu and chainsaw.

Ayakashi triangle is not against it because it is more ecchi. So far there has only been interaction between the characters, things will not happen in Ayakashi like in jujutsu and chainsaw.

And burn the witch doesn't count either, it will only have 4 chapters and it's over.
So not so much exorcism manga at Jump.
 

Ener

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
77
Reaction score
226
Country
United States
Phantom Seer is okay but nothing special. Let's see if it will not be cancelled
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Phantom Seer was pretty fun, and the art was great, that double spread was pretty cool. Characters seem fine (the sister is very good), but they're gonna need to grow on me. Let's see.
I think it is better to read phantom seer at night. Perhaps the nighttime climate will improve reading.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
From exorcism mango to jumping it has only jujutsu and chainsaw.

Ayakashi triangle is not against it because it is more ecchi. So far there has only been interaction between the characters, things will not happen in Ayakashi like in jujutsu and chainsaw.

And burn the witch doesn't count either, it will only have 4 chapters and it's over.
So not so much exorcism manga at Jump.
Was talking about exorcist series in general, not just in Jump for the record
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,442
Reaction score
3,619
Age
26
Country
United States
I found Phantom Seer kinda boring... but hey, the art is very good. Also man these last few chapters of Agravity have more than made up for the boring flashback arc, the series is on a roll right now.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
PS: So another AT try but with no ecchi this time. But why call them Phantom and say they ain't ghost when all you describe is basically a ghost anyway? I liked the two MCs, girl is a very good-hearted person and boy is scum but still does his job. The summoned Phantom looked pretty cool as well. Overall though I couldn't get quite into it, probably because we have had so many Exorcist attempts over the past couple years. I am just tired of spirits, ghosts, Youkai or Phantoms in this case.

BtW: I am still not sure why Balgo is part of the main team, like it doesn't feel he adds anything to the team except being bait and maybe a self-insert of some readers but that would be questionable at best. Also light dragons good, dark dragons bad, would it kill the witches and wizards to drive in a regular bus for christ sake? XD
Gotta say I really liked the reverse newspaper though, very nice 2-1 news. ^^

JjK: How are you supposed to beat that?! That is so OP! oO

Dr. Stone: Man, Senku would do anything to further his advantage but this "sacrifice" of his did give him 3 new ones, so that was no bad move on his part. Dog-fight next chapter! Stay in bed, Senku, what the heck?!?

MHA: The last double spread page looked really good, impending doom, seriously though how can there be SO many cities in the way, like come on, it sounds like he is rushing through half-Japan to get where he wants to get. XD

Magu-chan: Poor Ren, you should just buy your way into Ruru's heart, cook her dinner each evening and she will date you for survival alone. ^^

Mashle: Yep, guy confirmed, that ship will sail so hardcore among the Fujo fanbase.

HBC&D: So we do got gangs and time-limits on land, makes sense. Bit of a shame the trip into the Ocean got post-toned but I hope we get there soon. Grand Blue had some very beautiful Ocean scenarios so I hope for the same here.

CSM: .......Man, this is depressing af! It is obvious explanation but still depressing af!

AT: Lu is great! "As long as it is a good read, what's gender got to do with it?" You go, girl! <3
Lol Suzu being shameless as ever and Matsuri getting to know the down-sides as a beautiful big-boobed girl considering male attention. XD
And Matsuri gonna have a hard time next chapter. What is it with Japanese girls and bathing together in someone else's home?

Moriking: So we Superhero manga now?^^;

BC: Not reading.

M&R: Hm, dunno, didn't made me laugh at all.

Yozakura: Lol, someone really wanted to do a kiss there. Taiyo, you dense hubby, get it already and give your wife a smooch. XD
Given how quickly they resolved this, it really was there as a gag and it gonna live for probably at least 90-100 chapters would be my guess. Still hope the big brother just dies.

UU: Oooookaaaaaay~ We are going Artifact road, finally! Fuuko got the weapon she has been shown with on CPs from an unexpected source! Man, Rip will get SO many fanarts with his new look. Andy just straight away socking him a good one in the face was satisfying and felt so wrong, lol. XDDD
That image Fuuko saw was pretty cool, glimpse at Endgame maybe? Wonder what Andy saw... Also lol Chikara at the end being like "I didn't subscribed to that...". 2nd Japanese kid for the Union acquired!
Also all those "un"words, love them, also like that the Negator Hunters got a goal bigger than just hunting other Negators, some people might call them petty or scumbags but the way I see it, they look at their future realistically and just wanna be the one-eyed king in a world of blinds before they kick the bucket. Plus the mention of the "next step" which is very ominous~

WNL: Senpai a cute! A CUTE!!! <3 Yuiga still being denser than a black hole though.... <.<

AB: This one did made me chuckle. Reminded me a lot of other people trying me to sell onto series I haven't watched/read yet or me doing the same to them. I don't even know anymore how often I told someone "WT gets really good after chapter XX, just stay with it!", lol.

TPG: Well, it is over and we will never know what manga all of humanity can enjoy. It really was 14 chapters about only 2 people after all. Shame this idea ended like that but it ended and it could not become the new TPN despite being featured in the magazine when it ended and which had the highest sale amount of all magazine releases so far this year, at least I think I read that on Twitter somewhere.

Mitama: Watch Mitama getting extra chapters every week and surviving for years. XD Nah, the bird has flown out, gonna miss you, buddy, even if you didn't always made me laugh, you were still enjoyable to read.

Will there be a new series next week after Phantom Seer?
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Phantom seer was a pretty good first chapter with a lot of potential. Not the most unique thing ever but not everything have to be unorthodox to be great. My only problems with this 1st chapter is that the pacing felt a bit weird and that the characters are extremely stale (even with the mc’s unique attitude). I hope it goes for more of the occult horror route than the occult battle route since we have had and still have a bunch of occult battle manga recently. On top of that the next series is clearly going for the occult battle route.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
After Kimetsu's success. It is natural for manga to appear that tries to emulate this success.
It was like that with Naruto for example, after his end, boku no hero academia and Black clover appeared.
I don't see any problem with another exorcist manga as long as it's good.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I guess what I don’t get about TPGW is why it was so difficult for that God dude to keep Aino from over exhausting herself. I mean, sure Teppei spent decades writing a manga just for her. But he was still someone she looked up to respected.
I don’t get why it was such a “Ive tried so many different scenarios and I couldn’t save her” situation. Feels there were tons of plausible solutions especially since even Jump editorial KNEW she was overworking herself and working without assistants. I could wrong, but I feel like I read that editorial forced Oda to take more breaks after being hospitalized for exhaustion. I feel like Jump would have definitely stepped in and forced her to take breaks and work with assistants whether she liked it or not.
And it felt like Teppei caring about her and having a good talk with her would have been enough even if he hadn’t came with the manga, if he were persistent enough.

Also hate that the series basically ended with Teppei getting away with stealing her work and no one finding out
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

After Kimetsu's success. It is natural for manga to appear that tries to emulate this success.
It was like that with Naruto for example, after his end, boku no hero academia and Black clover appeared.
I don't see any problem with another exorcist manga as long as it's good.
Highly doubt Phantom Seer or many of the exorcist manga in general are an answer to Demon Slayer. Exorcist manga have been popular for quite some time regardless
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Can you believe that? A Roboco chapter about ghosts and NO reference to Yuuna?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top