Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,502
Reaction score
39,544
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,716
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I was pretty sure about Dr.Stone getting issue 48 cover but after that Horikoshi comment about why he's having a break...
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Didn't they say that Rising would be the last?
I’m pretty sure Horikoshi joked that he thinks Rising will be the last film he’ll work on because he doesn’t have anymore ideas up his sleeve to top the ending of Rising. But I don’t think he said there won’t be anymore films in general

I don’t remember if that was exactly what was said. But I think I remember at the very least ppl ITT deduced that the whole “Last film” thing was just something translated weirdly and the internet ran with it
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Wow another Jujutsu Kaisen cover already? With how high quality the series has been as of late I'm not complaining, though seriously I really want another Stone cover. Happy to see Ayakashi getting another color page, series really seems to be screaming "I have a future in this magazine" recently. Roboco in the bottom for the first time but as others have said this is a weird toc with Agravity and Magu with CPs, I'm fairly sure it'll bounce back up again. Still really happy with how high Yozakura has been as of late.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
With the last route starting for WNL I wish congratulations for Taishi Tsutsui for finishing his first serialization for WSJ which leaves Dr. Stone as the last surviving member of the six series batch of 2017.

Surreal how Tsutsui, a former monthly battle manga author, managed a successful run in the most renknown weekly magazine. Just eight years ago I was following the scans of his past works, Espirt and Fukashigi Phillia and hoped he would get a big break somewhere done the line. His first series in WSJ being a romcom was unexpected because the majority of his works were battle series beforehand but man did it pay off for him. I hope he sticks around with Shueisha and returns to either WSJ or Plus with another series. Now to kick back and enjoy this last route.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,502
Reaction score
39,544
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
His first series in WSJ being a romcom was unexpected because the majority of his works were battle series beforehand but man did it pay off for him.
Really? I thought it was super predictable considering his last two works before starting WNL were a idol series and a Nisekoi spinoff about Onodera, the first color pages were also so obviously inspired by Naoshi style.
 

Griff

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2020
Messages
121
Reaction score
82
Age
25
Country
Canada
Kingdom will finish #2 for sales this year and One Piece #3, but did it release more volumes than One Piece or the same number?
 

KennyKuro

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
472
Reaction score
1,270
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
Didn't they say that Rising would be the last?
Not exactly. It only takes elements of the original ending. There shouldn't be a third movie, so to speak.

 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
One thing I'm kind of surprised at this week is Phantom Seer's first ToC placement, I thought for sure it'd be put high up top considering how massive the reception to ch 1 seemed to be.

Granted it's an odd ToC this week so it's not as low as it appears (all three series with centre colours would likely be below it), but I wonder if it's a bad sign since I don't think the rest of the chapters have had nearly as much response (and if the really hyped chapter just hangs around the middle, how will the not-so-hyped ones perform?).
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,502
Reaction score
39,544
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One thing I'm kind of surprised at this week is Phantom Seer's first ToC placement, I thought for sure it'd be put high up top considering how massive the reception to ch 1 seemed to be.

Granted it's an odd ToC this week so it's not as low as it appears (all three series with centre colours would likely be below it), but I wonder if it's a bad sign since I don't think the rest of the chapters have had nearly as much response (and if the really hyped chapter just hangs around the middle, how will the not-so-hyped ones perform?).
Ehh i think you know the toc not really work with that logic of "hyped chapter = better ranking", neither that the first chapter reception dictates the entire fate of a series, also the reception of the series as a whole has been quite positive based in stuff like jp social media, rankings and etc, we only need to see if will reflect in the rankings, my impression is that Phantom Seer is the kind of series that gradually gets better instead of starting with a bang and dying
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I really wish viz offered Guided View for their manga series on the Jump app, and ComiXology. It’s a norm for western comics, but manga never has it.
Currently reading Shaman King on ComiXology, which is entirely free right now, and the guided view is awesome. I know SK isn’t Jump anymore technically, but yeah, if you want to read it, it’s original run in Jump is all on ComiXology for free right now, color pages and all. All 35 volumes(well you have to have a subscription. But you’re still able to read all of it for like $6)
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
One thing I'm kind of surprised at this week is Phantom Seer's first ToC placement, I thought for sure it'd be put high up top considering how massive the reception to ch 1 seemed to be.

Granted it's an odd ToC this week so it's not as low as it appears (all three series with centre colours would likely be below it), but I wonder if it's a bad sign since I don't think the rest of the chapters have had nearly as much response (and if the really hyped chapter just hangs around the middle, how will the not-so-hyped ones perform?).
Ehh i think you know the toc not really work with that logic of "hyped chapter = better ranking", neither that the first chapter reception dictates the entire fate of a series, also the reception of the series as a whole has been quite positive based in stuff like jp social media, rankings and etc, we only need to see if will reflect in the rankings, my impression is that Phantom Seer is the kind of series that gradually gets better instead of starting with a bang and dying
The jump has favored many comedy manga. Almost all the comedies that started this year were in the top 5, some deserved it in the case of Mashle, and others not, like bone collection.

If you see, Undead unluck came in 8th in the first rank even though he seemed to be more popular than Mashle who was in the Top 5 in his first rank.

And for those who say that Mashle sells more than UxU, this is a lot because mashle is more mainstream than UxU.

The only series that was not comedy and had the first rank in the top 5 was Ayakashi triangle, and that was because it was the only ecchi in the magazine, after the end of yuuna.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Have we seen either of Magu-chan or Agravity's colour pages yet?
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
I really wish viz offered Guided View for their manga series on the Jump app, and ComiXology. It’s a norm for western comics, but manga never has it.
Currently reading Shaman King on ComiXology, which is entirely free right now, and the guided view is awesome. I know SK isn’t Jump anymore technically, but yeah, if you want to read it, it’s original run in Jump is all on ComiXology for free right now, color pages and all. All 35 volumes(well you have to have a subscription. But you’re still able to read all of it for like $6)
How long will it be like this? Might have to get a subscription for a month.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Really? I thought it was super predictable considering his last two works before starting WNL were a idol series and a Nisekoi spinoff about Onodera, the first color pages were also so obviously inspired by Naoshi style.
Yeah he did adapt the artstyle to be like Komi’s. I never read them but I heard the Nisekoi one eventually became a battle series too or something. Correct me if I’m wrong.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Phantom Seer starting as an underdog in the rankings just like Undead did. Perfect.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,502
Reaction score
39,544
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah he did adapt the artstyle to be like Komi’s. I never read them but I heard the Nisekoi one eventually became a battle series too or something. Correct me if I’m wrong.
The spinoff? it was a mahou shoujo spinoff with Nisekoi girls so it had some battles, and nipples too.
 

ginsenjou

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2020
Messages
52
Reaction score
63
Age
36
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I'm kind of surprised at this week is Phantom Seer's first ToC placement, I thought for sure it'd be put high up top considering how massive the reception to ch 1 seemed to be.

Granted it's an odd ToC this week so it's not as low as it appears (all three series with centre colours would likely be below it), but I wonder if it's a bad sign since I don't think the rest of the chapters have had nearly as much response (and if the really hyped chapter just hangs around the middle, how will the not-so-hyped ones perform?).
I don't think it's anything to worry about yet. It's mostly gag manga that had a high ranking debut and they're all float at the bottom now except Mashle. I think the rest of the chapters will stay in the middle for the time being. And it doesn't have bad reception so I don't think it'll be part of U19 club. I know Youtube views isn't that important but the PV has surprisingly a lot of views compared to every newbie this year, already 231k views with the 2nd highest behind Ayakashi Triangle with 107k views. And I don't think it's Western fans since TPGW was way bigger internationally and its PV only has 38k views
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top