Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
1,968
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Phantom Seer's position is worrisome.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
They are all really great covers. For the new ones GOD Magu Chan is my favourite. Looks like a cover I would pick right off the shelf if I saw it :)
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
1,968
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
A better quality image
My heart :scry:scry:scry

Regarding the other covers, I did not like HBCaD's. Should have had Chako on it at least. Orpheus would have caught attention too.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I honestly don't see all this "blandness" in Cop & Dolphin cover, if i didn't knew anything about the manga and see that in the shelves, it would grab my attention based in the mc design, the cool background and Tamura Ryuuhei name, the thing is that who already knows the series "expected" something else, which is also my case, and when it didn't meet that "expectation" it looked like bland or boring, like when Spy x Family cover was released and people expected Anya on it and cool stuff but instead got just Twilight reading a paper with a green background, but after that even a cover with just a dog on it had people claiming was a great cover.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
Orpheus not in the magazine previews before the first chapter, Orpheus not in humanoid form on the Ch. 1 color page, Orpheus not on the first volume cover... if your series features a humanoid dolphin, then use your humanoid dolphin to represent gdi xD
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I mean, I personally like the color palette on the Cop and Dolphin cover.
I just think there is some sort of reason why Tamura went for those artistic decisions for the cover.

I think the cover is misleading because it looks "calm" but I also think that was Tamura's intention.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I mean, I personally like the color palette on the Cop and Dolphin cover.
I just think there is some sort of reason why Tamura went for those artistic decisions for the cover.

I think the cover is misleading because it looks "calm" but I also think that was Tamura's intention.
It fits with the "calm" vibe of the color pages




So far Tamura has "playing" a lot with the calm vibe and also lights in the illustrations for the series being place in a "tropical island", i think his intention is purposedly to create a contrast
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Moonland published a chapter with no sound.

It'd make a good life-action series, if they can find the atlethes to pull it of.


Phantom Seer's ranking is worrying tbh I hope it'll rank higher next week. It's the only new manga from this year that I'm enjoying so I'd be very disappointed if it gets axed
Me too. It's not the only one I like (UU and Mashle are up there), but it'd be a real shame to see it go.


I honestly don't see all this "blandness" in Cop & Dolphin cover, if i didn't knew anything about the manga and see that in the shelves, it would grab my attention based in the mc design, the cool background and Tamura Ryuuhei name, the thing is that who already knows the series "expected" something else, which is also my case, and when it didn't meet that "expectation" it looked like bland or boring, like when Spy x Family cover was released and people expected Anya on it and cool stuff but instead got just Twilight reading a paper with a green background, but after that even a cover with just a dog on it had people claiming was a great cover.
The problem with not meeting expectations isn't that it's bland, it's that it attracts attention from the wrong people (or fails to attract attention from the right ones).

Roboco is fitting. I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it tells people exactly what to expect.

Cop & Dolphin does not. It looks like a mature slice of life kind of story, while it is in fact a crazy comedy. So people who pick it up expecting SOL might be disappointed, and people who like crazy comedies might never pick it up.

Orpheus not in the magazine previews before the first chapter, Orpheus not in humanoid form on the Ch. 1 color page, Orpheus not on the first volume cover... if your series features a humanoid dolphin, then use your humanoid dolphin to represent gdi xD
I guess they really want people to be surprised by that twist in the first chapter.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I actually think the Cop and Dolphin cover is very good, it's just that, as someone have said, it feels more like a calm slice-of-life than what the series actually is. Honestly, it feels like a manga I would actually enjoy, but that's neither here nor there.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
How long did Isobe run for before it became the "official" end of magazine series? I'm curious to see if they'll do the same for High School Family
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
I'll argue not showing Orphie in neither the preview, the cover and the LCP when it first debuted helped to make his reveal a big surprise the first time reading it (to me at least). So I got no problem him not appearing on the volume cover, it isnt a problem to me
 
Last edited:

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
How long did Isobe run for before it became the "official" end of magazine series? I'm curious to see if they'll do the same for High School Family
Started out that way since it had two chapters every issue (one at the end and one somewhere in the middle or near the end).

Looks like he started doing just one per issue at chapter 125 (always at the end).
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I don't think you can compare Shakunetsu's cap with spy x Family.
first because SPY x Family doesn't fool anyone, we see twilight with a gun with a silencer, just like a spy and the newspaper, characteristic of a father.
And Shakunetsu kind of deceives, it looks like a slice of life for a guy enjoying his vacation on a beach.
The problem is not the absence of Orpheus or Chako but the samejima does not look like a policeman.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The problem with not meeting expectations isn't that it's bland, it's that it attracts attention from the wrong people (or fails to attract attention from the right ones).

Roboco is fitting. I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it tells people exactly what to expect.

Cop & Dolphin does not. It looks like a mature slice of life kind of story, while it is in fact a crazy comedy. So people who pick it up expecting SOL might be disappointed, and people who like crazy comedies might never pick it up.
You're underestimating people a bit, all manga volumes has a synopsis of the series in the back cover that is visible for anyone to read, also that removable paper around the covers with texts about the series and etc, also everybody has a phone and internet, it's the easiest thing to just type the name and get all the infos about the series or even reviews in a minute, i doubt that many people will just go and blindly buy the volume without any checking
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I don't think you can compare Shakunetsu's cap with spy x Family.
first because SPY x Family doesn't fool anyone, we see twilight with a gun with a silencer, just like a spy and the newspaper, characteristic of a father.
And Shakunetsu kind of deceives, it looks like a slice of life for a guy enjoying his vacation on a beach.
The problem is not the absence of Orpheus or Chako but the samejima does not look like a policeman.
lol the comparison is the "disappointed" comments when the covers were released

A series about a guy enjoying a vacation on a beach called "Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin", you guys also seems to forget the name of the manga is literally there big in the cover, people are not that dumb.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
lol the comparison is the "disappointed" comments when the covers were released

A series about a guy enjoying a vacation on a beach called "Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin", you guys also seems to forget the name of the manga is literally there big in the cover, people are not that dumb.
Yes, the manga's name is "Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin", but I'm not seeing "Hardboiled Cop", if the samejima appeared with a gun it would be better and in fact it would be a policeman.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,697
Age
40
Country
Italy
I'll argue not showing Orphie in neither the preview, the cover and the LCP when it first debuted helped to make his reveal a big surprise the first time reading it (to me at least). So I got no problem him not appearing on the volume cover isnt a problem to me
I also think that this is the point. From the beginning you know that there is a dolphin but you don't expect THAT to be your dolphin.
I don't remember the cover for Ayakashi now, but isn't Matsuri pictured as a boy? That's the same idea, to hide the gender twist until you read the volume for added shock value.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I also think that this is the point. From the beginning you know that there is a dolphin but you don't expect THAT to be your dolphin.
I don't remember the cover for Ayakashi now, but isn't Matsuri pictured as a boy? That's the same idea, to hide the gender twist until you read the volume for added shock value.
Okay, it doesn't show the dolphin, you show it in volume 2 but it shows at least the Hardboiled Cop, and not a nice guy on a beach vacation.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yes, the manga's name is "Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin", but I'm not seeing "Hardboiled Cop", if the samejima appeared with a gun it would be better and in fact it would be a policeman.
He's using the police clothes that he uses every chapter of the manga, just to remember even before he was sent to the island, it was already his police uniform so he's in the cover as a policeman, is the hat that is something different, also like i said, the back covers of all these mangas have a synopsis of the story, so any person that picks this in the stores, will just look at the back of the volume and read what this is about.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
He's using the police clothes that he uses every chapter of the manga, just to remember even before he was sent to the island, it was already his police uniform so he's in the cover as a policeman, is the hat that is something different, also like i said, the back covers of all these mangas have a synopsis of the story, so any person that picks this in the stores, will just look at the back of the volume and read what this is about.
sorry, but not everyone wants to get the back cover to read.
In addition, the covers have to know how to sell your product, and this cover sells something else.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
I'll argue not showing Orphie in neither the preview, the cover and the LCP when it first debuted helped to make his reveal a big surprise the first time reading it (to me at least). So I got no problem him not appearing on the volume cover isnt a problem to me
The problem isn't that Orphie isn't there, it's that there's nothing there that relates to what the series is about. You can't even tell that he's a cop.

The M+ thumbnail doesn't show Orphie either, but it does convey some of the craziness.




You're underestimating people a bit, all manga volumes has a synopsis of the series in the back cover that is visible for anyone to read, also that removable paper around the covers with texts about the series and etc, also everybody has a phone and internet, it's the easiest thing to just type the name and get all the infos about the series or even reviews in a minute, i doubt that many people will just go and blindly buy the volume without any checking
You're overestimating people a bit, very few people go around reading the synopsis of every manga they see.

The problem isn't the wrong people blindly buying the volume (honestly, that would be kind of an advantage), it's the right people never checking it out because the cover doesn't draw their attention. I, for one, would completely overlook this manga if I saw it in the shop because it just.. doesn't look like the kind of story I'd read.

(The title might change that impression if I get around to reading it, but if this shop has lots of manga on display, I'd probably just do a quick visual sweep of the covers. That's why the cover art is so important - it's your one and only opportunity to catch people's attention at first glance.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top