@Rouk'
I get your point, I definitely think JJK will reach 1mill at this point.
In fact yeah the anime gave it a pretty strong boost, it might be similar to what BLEACH got.
Top-20 sales in USA in last October.
My Hero Academia continues being the king of Jump in USA, but Kimetsu (and in minor degree Neverland) are also there. I'm wondering two things:
-What's the situation of One Piece in USA?
-Has Jujutsu Kaisen the potential to appear in these lists in USA in the future?
EDIT: I didn't notice. Chainsawman is also in the list, in 5th place.
-What's the situation of One Piece in USA?
Pretty good.
You can check this interesting article.
The article estates that Tokyo Ghoul (#1 manga in 2017 in USA) sold 273K copies for a total of $3.5M (Which is the price for 273k copies priced at $12.8 USD which I imagine was retail price?
(So this article makes the assumption every person bought it's Tokyo Ghoul volumes at MSRP which is absolutely not the case, but stil... I'm gonna go with that).
It says that Oda's franchises made $2'007,041.74 which divided by the MSRP of $9.99 would be 200,905 copies of ONE PIECE volumes, which is more or less the same for Toriyama and an extra 10% for Kishimoto.
I was going to say is amazing how Kishimoto and Toriyama are selling so amazingly thru pure backlog.. That is until I remembered their properties have sequels and that's probably where a lot of the sales come too, but still I think DB Super and BORUTO are monthly mangas, right? So they release what? 3 volumes a year probably?
-Has Jujutsu Kaisen the potential to appear in these lists in USA in the future?
I think it does, I mean in Japan it's selling better than MHA did when its anime premiered, unless I'm mistaken so the potential is clearly there. But obviously super hero manga have been dominating the USA charts for a couple of years now with One Punch man and now My Hero Academia, so my bet is Jujutsu Kaisen will chart in the USA but kind of like Demon Slayer, a good selling shonen manga, but since it's not a super hero manga I think it will not beat MHA in the USA.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
@Shinji Hirako
Thank you so much for that site, I'm gonna look it up
And yeah I totally agree with what you say, I'm 99.9% sure at the very least one volume of Jujutsu will eventually sell 1 million, BUT I'm not that confident it will get a 1 million print run, only time will tell.
And yeah, not even classics like Kochikame or Jojo sold a million per volume (Kochikame is... A VERY interesting series to me, like it has sold 160million with 200 volumes but I don't think I have seen it chart ever, so how did it get there?)
So yeah, lots of super popular manga you'd think sold a million didn't, it's not like being a million seller is necesary to be a succesful WSJ franchise.