Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,566
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Reminder that there is no solid source for the "Black Jack has 176m units in circulation" thing


Considering this website said it was at 40m in 2006, I'm inclined to believe the lower number

45.64m would put it at under 2m per volume, which is great, for sure, but it's nowhere near Demon Slayer

Regarding the conversation, I think it all depends on the coming years/decades and how they manage the IP on all the relevant fronts. So we can't really predict how things will go.

But people gotta remember that Demon Slayer has not stopped selling yet. We don't even know how high they will go, so trying to predict the future of the IP using them is kinda weird.

I don't know that much about the subject, but what can realistically be compared to the current Kimetsu craze? Is there anything that peaked at this level of popularity in Japan? I'm thinking of maybe pokémon in the late 90s?

Speaking of which, I feel like the Pokémon/Yokai Watch situation is an interesting comparison for Demon Slayer. Like Pokémon, Yokai Watch exploded out of nowhere, and even got close to Pokémon's popularity for a short while, lonly to die as a franchise really quickly because of mismanagement of the IP by Level 5.

Right now, Demon Slayer is still in that peak popularity phase. The rest entirely depends on the coming years. It could become either a pokémon or a Yokai Watch.
I mean, Aniplex/Shueisha are more competant than a company that can't maintain IP at all.
It'll probably be similar to Pokemon, there'll be reignited interest when there's new content (in this case, the movie's airing on TV, S2+, and eventually a live-action movie)
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
All this legacy stuff makes me think and ask this:

What would you think about MHA legacy? I'd say MHA is in a strange situation. For one part, it has already had some manga based on MHA formula (however they don't usually work. Pray for Zipman), and MHA has a lot of stuff in different media (novels, manga spinoffs, videogames, etc). But on the other hand, at least is my impression MHA has been totally overshadowed by a lot of Jump manga this year (Neverland, Kimetsu, Haikyuu, Jujutsu). And I wonder what will be 2021 situation for MHA (since it has new anime season, almost all the direct competition from Jump is over, but it doesn't give me vibes of "MHA is going to generate a lot of noise in Japan again").

I mean, MHA in 2020 has had one of its best years ever in sales, but it hasn't been noticed because mediatically everything else did more noise.

However, I wanted to ask this also from the USA perspective too. Not only in the sense that MHA is the Jump series which sells the best in USA, but from a cultural point of view too (official USA news media using MHA memes, famous singers doing homages to Shoto, etc).

Here in Spain it is also in a curious situation where for one part MHA is the main Jump manga for many people, but for other part there are also many people who love almost all manga from current Jump roster but treat MHA as something that doesn't exist.
Talking about Legacy is futile because we need to wait years to find that.
I mean,Naruto is one of the most selling series, but I barely see an impact in the genre asides 2 or 3 tropes(that are actually other older series tropes) unlike other big series for his time.
 

Rukasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,331
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Its's not about the reveal itself, instead the execution is what matters the most and I think Horikoshi nailed it. He probably knew everyone already figured it out and decided to don't turn it into a cliffhanger, which would the most obvious route
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Time to rank Jump this week. My Hero Academia has had a very phenomenal chapter, and despite we knowing "that" was happening, that has been really well done in my opinion. Yozakura and Undead Unluck have had really very good chapters. Honomieru Shonen and Magu-chan also had phenomenal chapters (kudos to Honomieru art).

My Hero Academia
Mission of Yozakura Family
Jujutsu Kaisen
Undead Unluck
Honomieru Shonen
Magu-chan
Chainsawman
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle
We Never Learn
Black Clover
Shark and Dolphin
Me and Roboco
Agravity Boys
Moriking
Dr.Stone
Highschool Family
Our Blood Oath
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I also see a lot of people thinking Ayakashi Triangle is about to be axed because the events of this week's chapter (granted, that's stupid MangaPlus comments). I wish people would learn to actually look into the sales and reception of a series
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Its's not about the reveal itself, instead the execution is what matters the most and I think Horikoshi nailed it. He probably knew everyone already figured it out and decided to don't turn it into a cliffhanger, which would the most obvious route
The execution was good, but also felt really overplayed on the character's part to me. Seemed somewhat out of character, but he didn't really have the most fleshed out personality to begin with, just that we knew he hates Endeavor.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Jujutsu Kaisen has hands down the best fight choreography in current WSJ and probably in a long time.

I am absolutely in love with Gege's style. It's messy (which might put off some people) but it's also done really well.

MHA reveal was underwhelming.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Regarding the MhA chapter, guess this is how people following Naruto weekly for years felt when the Tobi reveal happened.

Like I don’t hate it, but it’s definitely not a case of a “trope done right” either, like it was said we all saw it coming that there’s no real shock value, but that’s just me
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Regarding the MhA chapter, guess this is how people following Naruto weekly for years felt when the Tobi reveal happened.

Like I don’t hate it, but it’s definitely not a case of a “trope done right” either, like it was said we all saw it coming that there’s no real shock value, but that’s just me
Tobi /Obito reveal was also underwhelming. I give props to Kishimoto for trying something different in that chapter. There was no dialogue in that entire chapter. It was meant to be artistic and whatnot but it kinda didn't work. But hey at least he tried something. So I definitely appreciated that.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Just gonna do a top 10 from this week and probably from now on.
1. Undead x Unluck
2. World Trigger
3. Mashle
4. Hardboiled Pig & Dolphin
5. Ghost Reaper Girl
6. Jujutsu Kaisen
7. Ayakashi Triangle
8. Black Clover
9. Moriking
10. Chainsaw Man

Worst 5.
1. Our Blood Oath
2. My Hero Academia
3. Yozakura Family
4. Agravity Boys
5. Dr. Stone
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
All this legacy stuff makes me think and ask this:

What would you think about MHA legacy? I'd say MHA is in a strange situation. For one part, it has already had some manga based on MHA formula (however they don't usually work. Pray for Zipman), and MHA has a lot of stuff in different media (novels, manga spinoffs, videogames, etc). But on the other hand, at least is my impression MHA has been totally overshadowed by a lot of Jump manga this year (Neverland, Kimetsu, Haikyuu, Jujutsu). And I wonder what will be 2021 situation for MHA (since it has new anime season, almost all the direct competition from Jump is over, but it doesn't give me vibes of "MHA is going to generate a lot of noise in Japan again").

I mean, MHA in 2020 has had one of its best years ever in sales, but it hasn't been noticed because mediatically everything else did more noise.

However, I wanted to ask this also from the USA perspective too. Not only in the sense that MHA is the Jump series which sells the best in USA, but from a cultural point of view too (official USA news media using MHA memes, famous singers doing homages to Shoto, etc).

Here in Spain it is also in a curious situation where for one part MHA is the main Jump manga for many people, but for other part there are also many people who love almost all manga from current Jump roster but treat MHA as something that doesn't exist.
That’s what I’ve been saying all this time. I’ll even add that MHA clips hit over a million plus views for almost all of them, especially for the highlights. Those go almost upwards of 50M views in total.

It’s just a really strange (and underwhelming) situation. There have been comparisons made to Saint Seiya, if you’re looking for something.

Regarding the MhA chapter, guess this is how people following Naruto weekly for years felt when the Tobi reveal happened.

Like I don’t hate it, but it’s definitely not a case of a “trope done right” either, like it was said we all saw it coming that there’s no real shock value, but that’s just me
If you were anticipating the reveal for pure shock value, you’re sorely mistaken. Horikoshi was never going for that. It was much more about the emotional impact and timing, and Horikoshi aced them. What did you want him to do? Revealing “him” to be some rando? That’s what I call terrible writing.

Nothing in this chapter best describes the emotional impact better than Rei. My kokoro hurts for her. :biblethump
 
Last edited:

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
What an interesting week, lots of improvements and disappointments. The ones that delivered as I expected are basically my three favourites in the magazine at the moment: My Hero Academia's reveal wasn't anything partially shocking but the timing and impact it has in the moment and the characters involved is pretty much spot-on; Chainsaw Man was very mellow and reflective, building up to what is sure to be a climactic finish; and Me & Roboco pretty much had a Haikyuu!! chapter, and I loved it.

Mashle did a very good job concluding this arc in a satistying way, delivering an awesome double spread, and giving me hope for the longevity of the series. Other improvements are Jujutsu Kaisen which had me hooked way more with the action than last week; Mission: Yozakura Family, which is higher in my weekly ranking than ever before by executing a very serious chapter quite well; Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin is entering a serious story again, so it's already much better than it's comedic efforts; Moriking was the most fun it's been in weeks, helped, I think, by the rush to finish. I imagine it'll end around chapter 30 with this ridiculous final arc that while sudden also is giving it the last minute jolt it needed. The last series to impress me more than usual is Ayakashi Triangle. It's still not my cup of tea but it's doing a solid job with the current fight, and that development at the end came way sooner than I expected.

Sadly, while there were some nice surprises there were also some disappointments. The biggest of which being Agravity Boys, which pulled an Ayakashi Triangle yet somehow managed to be even less creative with the gender-bending - it's real bottom of the barrel stuff, implying how much the boys have changed now that they're ~girls~. Not funny. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku also disappointed me for the first time with its double tennis chapters, neither of which really got a chuckle out of me. Our Blood Oath also handed us a very generic backstory, which while not bad feels like the most vanilla set-up for the villains you'd imagine. Magu-chan: God of Destruction also continues its string of recent chapters that make me think the author is already running out of ideas for these daily hijinks.

My ranking of the chapters compared to last week:
  1. ( - ) My Hero Academia
  2. ( - ) Chainsaw Man
  3. (+4) Jujutsu Kaisen
  4. (-1) Me & Roboco
  5. (+6) Mashle
  6. (-2) Undead Unluck
  7. (+1) Phantom Seer
  8. (+2) Mission: Yozakura Family
  9. ( - ) Black Clover
  10. (+3) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  11. (-5) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  12. (+2) Dr. Stone
  13. (+5) Moriking
  14. (+2) Ayakashi Triangle
  15. ( - ) We Never Learn
  16. (+1) Our Blood Oath
  17. (-5) Agravity Boys
  18. (+1) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
well, Phantom seer will win a CP next week, it’s more than other GFC winners had when they won serialization.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
HeroAca reveal wasn’t anything shocking, but it was executed very well IMO. I look forward to the ramifications that will be caused by this.

I don’t think what the person in question did was really out of character. We always knew that he was kind of out for himself and he had his own goals. We’re just seeing him finally putting what he wants to do into real action.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
well, Phantom seer will win a CP next week, it’s more than other GFC winners had when they won serialization.
Beelzebub and Nurahiyon no Mago were GFC winners.
Also, Kurogane didn't win but was in competition and ran for a bit with several cp's.

GFC also gave more exposure to Tabata, Gondaira (both of whom were winners), Gotoge (now the mangaka of Jump's biggest series), and Akutami whom all have had success in the magazine since competing with their respective one-shots.

Plus, I'm sure other mangaka who have competed in recent years will come out with huge hits for the magazine as well. People knock on GFC but their criticism often falls flat as there's nothing behind it.

The GFC is a great competition, and given how new the competition is in comparison to how long the magazine has been around I'd say it has a really good track record.
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Beelzebub and Nurahiyon no Mago were GFC winners.
Also, Kurogane didn't win but was in competition and ran for a bit with several cp's.

GFC also gave more exposure to Tabata, Gondaira (both of whom were winners), Gotoge (now the mangaka of Jump's biggest series), and Akutami whom all have had success in the magazine since competing with their respective one-shots.

Plus, I'm sure other mangaka who have competed in recent years will come out with huge hits for the magazine as well. People knock on GFC but their criticism often falls flat as there's nothing behind it.

The GFC is a great competition, and given how new the competition is in comparison to how long the magazine has been around I'd say it has a really good track record.
Sorry, I said winners, I don't remember including kurogane who didn't win. or Gotouge, Gondaira and Gege who did not publish their one shot that competed at GFC.

And as far as I can remember hungry joker was a failure, yuki tabata was only successful with Black clover.

I don't include beelzebub and nura because they were successful, but most of GFC's competitors have failed.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - This chapter was hysterical. I can't believe the author actually devoted a chapter to the minions, but I'm so glad they did. Super cute as well!
2. Mission: Yozakura Family - This chapter was fantastically done, but quite sad as well. You can really feel for Taiyou as he strives to better himself and protect what he cares for.
3. Ayakashi Triangle - Amazing chapter this week. Shirogane has really grown on me, and I'm really curious where the series is going to go from here.
4. Mashle - The revelation midway through the chapter was really hilarious, but I'm glad the series is actually touching upon this so early on.
5. Me & Roboco - Really funny chapter. Even though I totally saw where the gag for this chapter was going to go, it was done really well. The cast is taking shape nicely.

The best of the rest:
6. Undead Unluck - A bit fast-paced at moments, but this new character is really keeping things interesting overall.
7. Chainsaw Man - Another emotionally powerful chapter. Denji is truly an MC you you can't help but root for.
8. We Never Learn - I'm starting to think this arc is going to consist of nothing really substantial until the very end besides fanservice.
9. Moriking - The designs for these contenders are actually pretty decent-looking. However, it still bothers me that Shoko has been demoted to an after-thought since she was the best character.
10. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - These chapters were actually a little funny, but nothing hilarious. The dad was pretty decent this time around.
11. Honomieru Shonen - Still nothing interesting happening. They should show less of Iori and more of the girl's training.
12. Agravity Boys - HDB was the only part that kept this chapter from ranking last. Another really disappointing chapter. At least it feels like the series is wrapping up.
13. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Really dull chapter. I'm starting to consider dropping this.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Jigokuraku's final fight is heating up nicely, too bad there's no chapter next week.

So hyped for JJK episode 7 & Shimabu's return next week. I'll see if I can get caught up with JJK/UxU by next week's issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top