Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,456
Reaction score
39,354
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Spy X Family definitely not, already too big for it to happen. Same with JJK
Well, aren't we glad you can predict the future when Shueisha themselves can't.

Not to forget that One Piece exploded onto the scene with its popularity before even an anime.
And not to forget Kimetsu prior anime was selling 150k, JJK sold 250k prior to the anime but apparently selling 100k more before the anime means you're already too big? 🤷‍♂️
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Have to say, Phantom Seer was easily my second favourite chapter of this week! (Of the series I follow, that is). The author has a really great sense of pacing, and took their time to build up into a big payoff. I’m really praying it does well in the future, although I fear this will be my repeat of Double Arts.
 

taqzer

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
184
Reaction score
181
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Well Build King was boring. Dunno maybe it's for younger readers or something but yeah I didn't enjoy that at all
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
The Dragon Quest vibes were quite strong with Build King's first chapter & the paneling for the action scenes were nice. A good amount of characterization for the MC's for the first chapter too. Let's see where this goes.

Happy to have Shimabu back, its been 4 years....
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Yep, Build King is practically the same style as writting as Toriko. I'm curious about this:



The third essential will be the next Shimabukuro manga in 30s :derp Clothing? Will Shimabukuro create the Shonen Jump Kill and Kill in the future?

---
Shonen Jump rankings for me, in which Honomieru Shonen has had its best chapter in the entire manga so far, Yozakura continues amazing as always, and Undead Unluck, Ayakashi Triangle and We Never Learn also had very very good chapters.

My Hero Academia
Honomieru Shonen
Mission of Yozakura Family
Undead Unluck
Ayakashi Triangle
We Never Learn
Mashle
Build King
Chainsawman
One Piece
Magu-chan
Jujutsu Kaisen special
Me and Roboco
Highschool Family
Dr.Stone
Moriking
Cop and Dolphin
Agravity Boys
Our Blood Oath
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Eh wasn’t really feeling build kings. That’s probably because it’s clearly aimed at the much younger side of shonen jump, but even then this seemed very childish. I like the character designs, art, and the nostalgic feel to it but at the same time the manga seems very primitive. I will give it more chapters since the whole “building battle manga” premise is interesting but even then the first chapter didn’t really show it off in a intriguing way. I will say though, black clover and UU had terrible first chapters imo but I hv fallen in love with those series especially UU so I will give this series a shot.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright this week, I don't feel much from the drama or the two new antagonists. I do like that non-Taiyo characters are getting some action though

Agravity was alright as well, better than last week but the gags were hit or miss

Undead was great, I'm really looking forward to this flashback, and heaven's door on steroids was really cool

Mashle was good, I appreciate a cooldown chapter after this arc but I didn't care much for the gags

Moriking was okay, better than the previous few chapters but I'm just waiting for it to end at this point

Ayakashi was good, pretty cool action chapter

Magu was good as well, a little lacking on the jokes but pretty harmless overall

Dolphin was okay, felt awkwardly transitioned from the previous chapter and wasn't that funny. However it was pretty heartwarming and I liked the scene with Shark and Dolphin near the end

Roboco was great as usual

Phantom was good, I liked it for the most part but not sure how I feel about the arrival at the end

HSF was alright, not super funny but anything bad either

Blood Oath was bad as usual, 10 chapters in and I don't care at all nor does there really seem to be any plot beyond "vampires and humans exist in this world", on top of another character who I'll forget about in a few chapters

It was really nice to see Shimabukuro back again, I didn't realize I'd miss him this much. I look forward to him flexing his creative and worldbuilding skills here, I'm already intrigued by what has been shown so far and I look forward to what's next. I even came around to the MC by the end of the chapter after feeling kinda iffy on him. Only thing I don't really like is his design.

OP, MHA, and Dr Stone were all great this week. I liked parts of WNL this week, but other parts of it felt kinda uncomfortable with the age gap and student/teacher dynamic. Still better than Rizu/Fumino route though.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Great Phantom Seer chapter. Even though I think it's a bit early for the development at the end of the chapter, the pacing and the changes of location were absolutely on point.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I loved Build King's first chapter! It made me realize how much I loved Toriko but didn't remember! Also, I'm already eager to know more of the world.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Really funny chapter for Magu-chan. I'm glad they've been pairing up gods with other humans. Hopefully the second volume gets a larger initial printing.
2. Mission: Yozakura Family - Quite a lot of emotion in this chapter, and the new characters were quite interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next.
3. Ayakashi Triangle - Another really solid chapter. I'm really curious to see what's going to become of their relationship with Shirogane going forward.
4. Undead Unluck - That development at the ending was pretty interesting, and was one that I wasn't expecting. I can't wait to learn more.
5. Mashle - Pretty good chapter with some funny jokes. It was nice seeing Abel cut loose a little bit.

The best of the rest:
6. Chainsaw Man - Denji has been such a great character to watch over time. I hope his wildest dreams come true!
7. Me & Roboco - This chapter was pretty good, but not as funny as the last handful have been. Glad that it's been selling decently.
8. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Decent chapter, and it was slightly funnier than the last few chapters.
9. Moriking - There were some funny jokes this time around, but the author is now literally going out of his way to cast aside Shoko.
10. We Never Learn - I'm starting to not really love the developments that are taking place in this arc. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary retconning taking place.
11. Honomieru Shonen - It seemed like the development with the girl happened so suddenly that it barely made sense. I wish this could've focused more on her rather than the boring fight with the two guys.
12. Build King - Pretty lackluster first chapter. I liked the monster designs, but the main characters and overall plot both failed to appeal to me whatsoever.
13. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - The first part was a little funny, but the ending ruined the momentum from the beginning of the chapter.
14. Agravity Boys - Boring chapter. Nothing in this chapter made me laugh.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Lmao. That jujutsu bonus chapter was dope.
That swimsuit page threw me off.
Gege making a funnier chapter than Mashle even tho Mashle had a pretty funny chapter as well.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
It's funny, after a conversation about what qualifies as 'unique', we get Build King, which is exactly that; with its focus on building as a battle system and way of life, but it just goes to show you that something being unique doesn't mean it's good. I'll give kudos to the worldbuilding which (like Toriko) is effective in creating a environment where the chaos is palpable, and it at least feels like it's aiming to be a fun read more than anything, but by the end of the first chapter I was left feeling like the whole thing was taking itself too seriously while still feeling very juvenile. I was probably supposed to feel sad when the younger brother started crying over not being a good enough builder... but all I could do was cringe. Shimabukuro clearly wanted to write about building, and so has based the entire world around it, so much so that the entire concept feels a touch ridiculous. I'll keep reading in hopes I'll enjoy it, even if I'm not sold on the premise or the very unsurprised main character.

Disappointing new series aside, there were a handful of great chapters this week. One Piece was my favourite; we got a good mixture of Sulong Carrot being a badass, the Straw Hats in action, and an emotional moment from Nami in the final pages. Great stuff. Chainsaw Man's build up to this final confrontation hit just the way it was intended. And while My Hero Academia leaned a little too much into the exposition, I'm still a big fan of where the story is right now. Two more chapters I throughly enjoyed were Phantom Seer, which managed to bring together to the concurrent storylines effectively with its best chapter in a while, and Undead Unluck, for continuing to surprise me with the direction its going, and because this Andy flashback should be a treat.

Two more series that have been underwhelming me for a few weeks now are We Never Learn and Dr. Stone. To fans of those series - are you liking how the current arcs are playing out? I can't believe there's only four chapters left in Sensei's route and it feels like almost nothing has happened. Looks like Asumi will have the best ending after all (I'll count that as a win). For Dr. Stone, the introduction of the latest girl has been an annoyance, but this entire expidition is doing nothing for me. It's a shame because I quite enjoyed the series when I was catching up, but following it weekly had been a bit of a bore.

Jujutsu Kaisen is the biggest drop in enjoyment from what we were getting last week. I get it's just a side story but couldn't it just have been absent from the magazine instead? What a weird diversion. Meanwhile, Ayakashi Triangle is in my top half of my series this week! I can't quite believe it! But it was actually a fairly decent chapter. Zero fanservice, a flashback that did the job, and a nice finish to this fight with some solid action. It''s nothing special, but so much more enjoyable than what the series usually is. It's just a shame it's all going to revert back to business as usual after this.

My ranking of the chapters compared to last week:
  1. ( - ) One Piece
  2. ( - ) Chainsaw Man
  3. (-2) My Hero Academia
  4. (+3) Phantom Seer
  5. (+1) Undead Unluck
  6. (-1) Mashle
  7. (-3) Me & Roboco
  8. (+2) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  9. (+2) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  10. (+4) Ayakashi Triangle
  11. (-3) Mission: Yozakura Family
  12. (+5) Agravity Boys
  13. (-10) Jujutsu Kaisen
  14. (+1) We Never Learn
  15. (-3) Dr. Stone
  16. (NEW) Build King
  17. (-1) Our Blood Oath
  18. (-5) Moriking
  19. (-1) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
 
Last edited:

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I liked build king, it was pretty fun. Not really digging the designs but I thought it was interesting and creative enough.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
That Jujutsu side story cracked me up, for as dark as the series has been recently, it's easy to forgot the humor Akutami can bring to the table. I enjoyed Mashle a lot this week, it's good that it's getting back into funny mode, the constant fights were getting old. Cop and Dolphin also cracked me up this week. As for Build King, it was charming, but I don't know, I wasn't blown away or anything.
 

KidaShikage

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
48
Reaction score
74
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
1: Honomieru Shounen
2: Boku no Hero Academia
3: Ayakashi Triangle
4: Hakaishin Magu-chan
5: Agravity Boys
6: Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen
7: Undead Unluck
8: Koukousei Kazoku
9: One Piece
10: Build King
11: Shinrin Ouja Moriking
12: Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
13: Mashle
14: Chainsaw-Man
15: Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
16: Dr. Stone
17: Boku to Roboco
18: Bokura no Ketsumei

I decided not to rank Jujutsu Kaisen this week as it isn't a proper chapter this time. If I did, it'd probably be between One Piece and Build King. Looking at it now, my own top feels pretty different from usual. Ayakashi Triangle battle-focused chapters are always great. This week is probably the highest I've ever ranked it. Yozakura was good too. Had a couple of really nice drawn pages and the pace was good. I'm still not a fan of its random chapters, but it's still a enjoyable read. For once, I really liked Koukousei Kazoku. The las two pages even made me laught out loud. Build King was ok, I guess? Not bad, but nothing that made me think "I want more". Moriking also had a nice training chapter that made me laught a bit.

Now about stuff I didn't really enjoy that much, Niraikanai was pretty much filler and disappointing after a good chapter last week. Also didn't really enjoy Chainsaw-man with Denji talking about how he wants a lot of girlfriends and to have sex and all that. Just not my thing. Next chapter looks promising, neverthless. Never liked BokuBen's sensei and I think her route is boring. I may have said this, but I want to like and enjoy Roboco, but the only times I like it are the Motsuo and Gachigorilla chapters.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
622
Reaction score
1,692
Age
40
Country
Italy
1. My Hero Academia: We are still dealing with the revelation from last week. But while last chapter didn't impress me much, this time we were more focused on both the villains and (indirectly) the heroes motivations, and it worked. Great job, Horikoshi.
2. Mission: Yozakura Family: This chapter portrayed a lot of emotions, from the sadness of the first part to the action badassery of the last part. We're still experiencing peak Yozakura here, but we will probably return to comedy shenanigans next week.
3: Chainsaw Man: "Calm before the storm: the chapter". Denji's honesty about his motivations is what makes him one of the most relatable main characters in the history of Jump.
4. Ayakashi Triangle: As i expected, both trasformations were meant to be temporary. We got a great fight out of this, anyway. I haven't been so hypedfor a villain defeat since quite a while.
5. Phantom Seer: A bit strange to see her training pay off so fast, but as in Ayakashi we get a cool fight out of this, so it's fine. First time in the top half of my ranking, I like when mangas improve.
6. One Piece: Better than the current standard, probably because it focused only on a couple scenes this time. But isn't it time to resolve one or two of them?
7. Hard-boiled cop & Dolphin: I was caught off-guard because I thought we were still in the middle of the cult arc and we got a comedy chapter instead, but at least I could relax because we aren't rushing as I feared. Also, the final punch from the two cops was awesome.
8. Undead Unluck: I've seen this happening already! In Ushio and Tora! But since that wasn't Jump, I suppose it doesn't count. Nice chapter anyway.
9. Build King: That really was Toriko but with buildings. Over the top world building, hamminess everywhere, absurd goals to chase...I like it because I liked Toriko, but I can't say Shimabukuro tried to do something new (I am really curious to read Takeshi now, maybe that had a different atmoshpere?).
10. Mashle: Fun chapter for the first part, the whole banquet was hilarious. Then they return to put incredibly high stakes for a manga about high school life with magic. I start to think it is a problem of mine, I see it go to different directions than the ones I would like for it to take.
11. Dr. Stone: ItsSamu said it for me:
It's a shame because I quite enjoyed the series when I was catching up, but following it weekly had been a bit of a bore.
but at least the Panama Canal issue has been addressed as I wanted. And I loved the One Piece reference for observant readers.
12. Me & Roboco: Still funny, but a bit below average. I am starting to feel tired about the excessive kindness of Bondo.
13. Jujutsu Kaisen: Gege is right, when you base your humour on breaking the fourth wall you get annoying fast. And being meta about being meta doesn't really help either. This week's "Juju stroll" from the anime has been way funnier than this.
14. Our Blood Oath: Can you please learn from Phantom Seer about how you can improve your manga? Another new villain with no personality. It will probably end before we can even fight all of them.
15. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: Disappointing chapter this week (actually, a bad week for gag mangas in general). What we probably need right now is for something to happen, just a little bit of plot advancement. Not necessarily with the introduction of new characters.
16. Moriking: Why introducing new Shokos when you already have Shoko? This manga should end and the Shoko spin-off should reach Yaiba levels of popularity.
17. High School Family: This manga is so "not good, not bad" that it doesn't leave me with any emotion at all. I can't even get mad about it. That's so depressing.

Binge update: Black Clover 1-200: Complete!! It was strange to see how the main villain of the Elf arc emerged out of the blue like that, but anyway I'm glad I managed to binge this because now I know better all of the characters and I can relate with their future developments. Now I can also stop binging stuff. When We Never Learn and Agravity Boys will conclude, I will be finally able to say that I am reading all of Jump every sunday!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top