Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Moriking's new chapter definitely doesn't feel like it's ending next week, unless it gets shifted elsewhere for the finale.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Moriking's new chapter definitely doesn't feel like it's ending next week, unless it gets shifted elsewhere for the finale.
Well, yeah. The IDs confirmed that nothing will end through Issue 1 of 2021. There may be series that ends on Issue 2 of 2021, though. (looks to be WNL).
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,265
Reaction score
1,970
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Phantom Seer coming to an end? That development seemed rushed.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Phantom Seer coming to an end? That development seemed rushed.
shakunetsu finished the arc of the ocean castle in a rushed way, and didn't even show the castle, and nobody said that the manga was being canceled.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Phantom Seer coming to an end? That development seemed rushed.
Bit early to call it being cancelled, considering it has a colour page this issue. Could be speeding up the slow bits a little in response to low rankings though, I imagine the mangaka and editors know the reader survey results well before we do.

Well, the jump is keeping two manga that are clearly causing financial loss (agravity and moriking).
I apologize to fans of these series, but any other series would have been eliminated before the third volume.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Agravity Boys at least definitely isn't a financial loss, its sales would be a decent success in any other magazine. It's low for Jump, but decent for the current industry as a whole.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Agravity Boys at least definitely isn't a financial loss, its sales would be a decent success in any other magazine. It's low for Jump, but decent for the current industry as a whole.
Sales only decrease with each volume.
It will do what it treats like orient by shonen magazine.
Shonen jump is the magazine that sells the most, you can't insure a series that doesn't make a profitable return.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Agravity Boys' sales aren't decreasing, they're staying about the same, with maybe a very slight growth.

It's possible selling ~10k will just become a common thing in WSJ in the years to come. We did have stuff like Isobe and Hinomaru Zumou getting full runs while never growing beyond 30k which probably wouldn't have happened if they had ran in the 90s or 00s after all. The physical manga industry is shrinking every year, even WSJ will get to the point where 10k per volume is fine.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sorry for not commenting sooner (Steelers 9-0 baby WOOT WOOT) but yeah, I definitely enjoyed Build King.

It’s pretty much set up similarly as Toriko. If it can keep that same level of world building and over the top action, I’ll be overjoyed.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Agravity Boys' sales aren't decreasing, they're staying about the same, with maybe a very slight growth.

It's possible selling ~10k will just become a common thing in WSJ in the years to come. We did have stuff like Isobe and Hinomaru Zumou getting full runs while never growing beyond 30k which probably wouldn't have happened if they had ran in the 90s or 00s after all. The physical manga industry is shrinking every year, even WSJ will get to the point where 10k per volume is fine.
Having things like Hinomaru and isobe is not a good example. on the contrary, they are mistakes that must not be made.
But in order not to be unfair to Hinomaru, he hummed, at least Hinomaru increased sales, although small.
It is better to compare Hinomaru with yozakura than with Agravity.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
Having things like Hinomaru and isobe is not a good example. on the contrary, they are mistakes that must not be made.
But in order not to be unfair to Hinomaru, he hummed, at least Hinomaru increased sales, although small.
It is better to compare Hinomaru with yozakura than with Agravity.
Yozakura is growing constantly, what was Hinomaru's oricon like?
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Build King was super fun, but I'm a bit disappointed by the protagonist only having a symbolic relation to the building premise. I just hope the direction will fall in line with the one shot, and completely incorporates building into the battles.

And I guess my sense of humor is completely different from you guys', because I thought this week's chapter of Moriking was amazing. I'm so bummed about its ending creeping closer every week...

Also I've been feeling like Phantom Seer was doomed after the last few chapters, but this one has me hopeful again a little. But I still feel like the artist is carrying this one hard, and his talent is being wasted on half baked serializations. Really enjoyed the first 3 or so chapters of both, but the rest feels seriously lacking. Though this still is a lot better than Tokyo Shinobi Squad.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Looking at the current lineup and while I absolutely adore most of the series running, I think it’s time for a spokon in the magazine.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Also I've been feeling like Phantom Seer was doomed after the last few chapters, but this one has me hopeful again a little. But I still feel like the artist is carrying this one hard, and his talent is being wasted on half baked serializations. Really enjoyed the first 3 or so chapters of both, but the rest feels seriously lacking. Though this still is a lot better than Tokyo Shinobi Squad.
Yeah, the art is definitely doing the heavy-lifting in this pairing. The author isn't offensively bad at developing the story (looking at you Our Blood Oath and Time Paradox Ghostwriter!), but there are some aspects that I wish they would change their focus on. They should've spent some more time developing the beckoning hand girl in this chapter less on that new dude trying to figure out what Iori's planning. It wasn't so horribly-paced that it killed the chapter like it used to for Yui Kamio, but I was disappointed a lot of interesting development was just rushed through on a page or 2.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Yozakura is growing constantly, what was Hinomaru's oricon like?
those were the sales of hinomaru zumou

Hinomaru Zumou Vol 1 - 19,924
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 2 - 28,864
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 3 - 27,002
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 5 - 20,959
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 6 - 21,084
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 7 - 27,070
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 8 - 26,161
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 9 - 31,826
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 10 - 33,465
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 11 - 35,712
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 12 - 21,210
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 13 - 36,597
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 14 - 27,223
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 15 - 35,523
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 16 - 30,736
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 17 - 24,251
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 18 - 25,775
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 20 - 22,449
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 22 - 18,745
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 23 - 23,744
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 24 - 24,646
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 25 -17,218
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 26 -19,775
Hinomaru Zumou Vol 28 - 24,669

weren't good sales, but they were better than agravity
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Reading the jp tweets so far about Build King: https://twitter.com/search?q=lang:ja build king&src=typed_query&f=live

I just love how i can go for dozen and dozen of tweets about the series without a single mention about Shima past, japanese readers only focusing about the series, and so far, seems like the reception is very positive online, most are saying was very interesting, looking forward to next chapters, praising Shima world building and writing, positive comparisons with Toriko, 1 or 2 comments saying char design is weird but still saying is interesting, and many comments saying the mc eating nails was really funny, one with already over 500 likes, Buranchi said seems like is a meme thing from Toriko.

Ofc is Twitter so you don't know if will reflect in sales/ranking, but i would say it definitely doesn't seem like a S8 scenario so far.
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Build King was super fun, but I'm a bit disappointed by the protagonist only having a symbolic relation to the building premise. I just hope the direction will fall in line with the one shot, and completely incorporates building into the battles.

And I guess my sense of humor is completely different from you guys', because I thought this week's chapter of Moriking was amazing. I'm so bummed about its ending creeping closer every week...

Also I've been feeling like Phantom Seer was doomed after the last few chapters, but this one has me hopeful again a little. But I still feel like the artist is carrying this one hard, and his talent is being wasted on half baked serializations. Really enjoyed the first 3 or so chapters of both, but the rest feels seriously lacking. Though this still is a lot better than Tokyo Shinobi Squad.
Yeah, the art is definitely doing the heavy-lifting in this pairing. The author isn't offensively bad at developing the story (looking at you Our Blood Oath and Time Paradox Ghostwriter!), but there are some aspects that I wish they would change their focus on. They should've spent some more time developing the beckoning hand girl in this chapter less on that new dude trying to figure out what Iori's planning. It wasn't so horribly-paced that it killed the chapter like it used to for Yui Kamio, but I was disappointed a lot of interesting development was just rushed through on a page or 2.
Honomieru shonen won color pages, much more than TPGW, Yui Kamio and OBO won, the series is not being canceled just because aebitsu can now defend itself.

It's like I said before, Shakunetsu for example finished an arc in advance, and nobody said it was being canceled.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Honomieru shonen won color pages, much more than TPGW, Yui Kamio and OBO won, the series is not being canceled just because aebitsu can now defend itself.
I never said I thought it was being cancelled. I just said the quality of the artwork is much stronger than the quality of the story/plot thus far. TPGW and OBO were/are awful, and Yui Kamio was a pacing trainwreck. Phantom Seer has been better than all of those series I had talked about, I just hope they work out some of the kinks with the pacing is all.
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Honomieru shonen won color pages, much more than TPGW, Yui Kamio and OBO won, the series is not being canceled just because aebitsu can now defend itself.

It's like I said before, Shakunetsu for example finished an arc in advance, and nobody said it was being canceled.
I'm not saying it's getting cancelled anytime soon. And you shouldn't compare its promotion against those, because that's the absolute lowest possible bar you could measure it to. And I do think it is way better than those (but Yui Kamio was a huge wasted potential as a sukeban harem battle manga). But I don't see it making past the 30s if it doesnt improve, after all we aren't talking about some niche manga with unique appeal, but another mainstream exorcist battle manga.

Shakunetsu also has better reception online from the way I see, and while it's structurally all over the place, it has a lot of genuinely cool stuff going for it. And I assume a veteran like Tamura has much more leeway in Jump's current state than a complete rookie.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top