Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,573
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Great MHA chapter. Ready for the arc to wrap up though

Build King was a bit boring imo. I may be biased though since I’m strongly against him being in the magazine again given his past.

Chainsaw Man seems to be headed towards the final battle, so I’m excited to how the story will conclude

Phantom Seer had its best chapter in while. Hyped ending. Hopefully the next chapter pulls through

Yozakura concluded its arc well imo. I just hope it continues with serious arcs now, instead of going back to random comedy bs

One Piece had a amazing chapter. Absolutely loved the final page

Jujutsu Kaisen bonus chapter was fun. I wonder if Gege is just gonna have a bunch of these type of chapters prepared for whenever they go on break.

Mashle, I can’t say i felt much for its new chapter. Not particularly good, but nothing bad.

Looking forward to Sakamoto Days next week
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I'm not saying it's getting cancelled anytime soon. And you shouldn't compare its promotion against those, because that's the absolute lowest possible bar you could measure it to. And I do think it is way better than those (but Yui Kamio was a huge wasted potential as a sukeban harem battle manga). But I don't see it making past the 30s if it doesnt improve, after all we aren't talking about some niche manga with unique appeal, but another mainstream exorcist battle manga.

Shakunetsu also has better reception online from the way I see, and while it's structurally all over the place, it has a lot of genuinely cool stuff going for it. And I assume a veteran like Tamura has much more leeway in Jump's current state than a complete rookie.
look if Shakunetsu was so popular it would have better sales than the ones it has.

This "another exorcist manga" thing, it doesn't matter if the story is done well. And also honomieru if you do not have good sales will be eliminated quickly, the jump will not hold you like Moriking or Agravity boys.
 

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
I thought this is the funniest Moriking chapter in months. The arc of that insect breeder is amazing.

I'm interested in seeing where Yozakura will go from here. I'm sure next week we'll get a well deserved breather chapter, but after that? If the battle chapters have been doing well, maybe it'll make the shift after all.

Eh this arc of Agravity Boys can be sexist at times, but I think this chapter had some gags that were pretty funny. Moreover, I like that we get to see a glimpse of Chris' manlier side.

Roboco is okay, the weakest chapters in a while. That One Piece reference cracked me up though.

Dr. Stone needs another dramatic development, I feel. The fetch quest is getting a bit stale. I hope it can bounce back.

I definitely didn't expect the training arc in Phantom Seer to end that fast. Can't say I'm not hyped for next chapter though.

Undead Unluck manages to keep me interested every week, the writing has been stellar.

Magu-chan is not as funny as the last few chapters, but seeing chubby Magu and Naputaaku kinda make it worth it. I think I would like to see a chapter focused on fewer characters for once.

Build King had a decent first chapter, I think. The world building is very intriguing but the chapter itself is not all that hyped. Maybe the MC will consistently team up with his little brother so we get both fighting stuff and building stuff.

Speaking of little brothers...Our Blood Oath is like the anti-UU to me. It's always very forgettable, I can barely remember what happened this chapter.

Chainsawman is quite great, I like the throwback to Denji's earlier motivation and how he wants more things in life and that he doesn't rely on Makima like he was before. Great character-focused chapter.
 

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
Interesting, I wonder what the implications are, maybe:
1. Boruto's storyboarding is not up to par
2. Kishimoto isn't in another long-term manga engagement so he can help out here
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,573
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Not sure where this belongs to


Kishimoto Masashi will be taking over storyboarding from Kodachi Ukyo for BORUTO
WHAT??? lol that's actually shocking, if Kishimoto start doing the art too it would be big, despite Ikemoto art improvement being something really interesting, Kishimoto doing everything again would be crazy

Edit: Kodachi said Ikemoto will still do the art.
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Build king is written exactly like Toriko
whether that's a good thing or not depends on who you ask, personally I enjoyed it

I don't get "this is written for a younger audience" complaint, Toriko had the same over-the-top world and action, and series like One Piece still does this kinda of stuff

Not sure where this belongs to


Kishimoto Masashi will be taking over storyboarding from Kodachi Ukyo for BORUTO
I got a flashback to the time when Watsuki suddenly did a new Kenshin sequel after the Embalming debacle
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Interesting, I wonder what the implications are, maybe:
1. Boruto's storyboarding is not up to par
2. Kishimoto isn't in another long-term manga engagement so he can help out here
Apparently it was planned that Kodachi would help until Vol. 13.

 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New poll is up.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Hopefully Kodachi will be able to get his own original series now. He's a much stronger writer than Kishi ever was.

Also, wonder if this means we're finally going to get that Boruto x Samurai 8 same universe reveal and bring the .cast to space. Would make sense given this current arc has been about aliens.
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
773
Age
25
Country
Italy
New poll is up.
When you create these polls (will xx come back) could you also put their most popular or most recent serialization? Personally, I’m not always familiar with every author’s name.
Of course, if that’s not too much to ask
Thank you :(
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Hopefully Kodachi will be able to get his own original series now. He's a much stronger writer than Kishi ever was.

Also, wonder if this means we're finally going to get that Boruto x Samurai 8 same universe reveal and bring the .cast to space. Would make sense given this current arc has been about aliens.
Kodachi is more an anime writer if I remember well
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
All over Twitter BR people are announcing Kishimoto is going to write the series again. I thought he was only going to work on storyboards, but with Kodashi's leaving, I'm a little confused about Kishimoto's role now.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
All over Twitter BR people are announcing Kishimoto is going to write the series again. I thought he was only going to work on storyboards, but with Kodashi's leaving, I'm a little confused about Kishimoto's role now.
Seems like the same as he did for Samurai 8: Kishimoto is going to write and draw all the rough storyboards, and then Ikemoto makes his final storyboards based on that and then the finished inked and shaded chapter.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Hopefully Kodachi will be able to get his own original series now. He's a much stronger writer than Kishi ever was.
But he was already involved in the project when he was a supervisor, right?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
No way was this a planned thing tho. Kishimoto was still supposed to be serializing S8 at the moment. I was actually hoping he would try something new but I guess might as well stick with what he's known for.
But he was already involved in the project when he was a supervisor, right?
Kishimoto gave full reigns to Kodachi. Pretty sure he even said that he'll leave it up to Kodachi to kill off any character as he deems necessary.
So this is a complete change up from that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top