Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,446
Reaction score
39,327
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Didn’t read Toriko, I take it?

Shimabu is a master at world building and hype moments.
No, that's another one of the long classics I've always heard about, but I doubt I'll have the chance to get through. The whole food concept sounds a lot more interesting than this house schtick.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No, that's another one of the long classics I've always heard about, but I doubt I'll have the chance to get through. The whole food concept sounds a lot more interesting than this house schtick.
The thing that excites me about Shimabu focusing on architecture is that it’s what he honestly wants to do, and is a personal hobby of his.

It’s a passion project. When the author is having fun, I can personally feel it, which in turn makes me even more happy for them and enjoy the work that much more.

Trust me, you may think architecture is less interesting than food, but give it time. Shimabu will shock you with how much he can do with the concept.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
No, that's another one of the long classics I've always heard about, but I doubt I'll have the chance to get through. The whole food concept sounds a lot more interesting than this house schtick.
I remember seeing people who thought the whole food concept in Toriko to be weird as well back in 2010-2011.

It's actually one of the things of Shimabu. He creates a world out of something you wouldn't expect. It's part of the charm of his stories. That said, its also something that takes a bit of time to get behind.
So I would say, give it a try when it has a few chapters out (assuming it survives). It should grab you then.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,446
Reaction score
39,327
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The whole food concept sounds a lot more interesting than this house schtick.
This because you're probably used with Shokugeki no Souma and currently became a popular theme and even a meme, but at the time, "food hunting" was seen as much weird/uninteresting as house building today, it maybe come as a big surprise, but Toriko suffered a lot of resistence from people exactly for being a manga about food, so some of the comments towards the series since the announcement (here) is pretty much like a flashback to me from the Toriko years (weird/uninteresting theme, outdated art, ugly char designs, poop jokes and etc)
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
The thing that excites me about Shimabu focusing on architecture is that it’s what he honestly wants to do, and is a personal hobby of his.

It’s a passion project. When the author is having fun, I can personally feel it, which in turn makes me even more happy for them and enjoy the work that much more.

Trust me, you may think architecture is less interesting than food, but give it time. Shimabu will shock you with how much he can do with the concept.
I remember seeing people who thought the whole food concept in Toriko to be weird as well back in 2010-2011.

It's actually one of the things of Shimabu. He creates a world out of something you wouldn't expect. It's part of the charm of his stories. That said, its also something that takes a bit of time to get behind.
So I would say, give it a try when it has a few chapters out (assuming it survives). It should grab you then.
This because you're probably used with Shokugeki no Souma and currently became a popular theme and even a meme, but at the time, "food hunting" was seen as much weird/uninteresting as house building today, it maybe come as a big surprise, but Toriko suffered a lot of resistence from people exactly for being a manga about food, so some of the comments towards the series since the announcement (here) is pretty much like a flashback to me from the Toriko years (weird/uninteresting theme, outdated art, ugly char designs, poop jokes and etc)
Thank you all for the responses. I'll probably stick with it for a little while longer at least since I'm also curious to see if it ends up hooking me. There've been a decent number of series that have taken some time for me to warm up to.

When it comes to the food vs architecture thing, I guess it kind of boils down to I enjoy cooking whereas I don't care much about architecture in general. I do hope the toilet humor/poop jokes don't become a regular thing though...
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When it comes to the food vs architecture thing, I guess it kind of boils down to I enjoy cooking whereas I don't care much about architecture in general.
Try to interpret this a different way.

Are you a fan of video games? If you are, have you ever ran around the world, seen certain buildings and think to yourself “how the hell did anyone build this?”

Think of the Legend of Zelda, for example, with the multitude of dungeons the series is known for. Now, we know it was built by game developers, but in the game world itself, everything you see was built by architects.

This doesn’t only apply to architecture, it also applies to weaponry/armor. There was someone in those worlds that built it. Build King is special in that, we can finally get insight into the process on how these fantasy buildings/weapons/armor/etc are built.

That’s extremely exciting to me. But, admittedly, maybe I’m the only one that wanders around game worlds wondering how they managed to build these fantasy structures.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
The thing that excites me about Shimabu focusing on architecture is that it’s what he honestly wants to do, and is a personal hobby of his.

It’s a passion project. When the author is having fun, I can personally feel it, which in turn makes me even more happy for them and enjoy the work that much more.

Trust me, you may think architecture is less interesting than food, but give it time. Shimabu will shock you with how much he can do with the concept.
This is all well and good but then I’m reminded Samurai 8 was supposed to be Kishi’s passion project and look how that turned out. Perhaps Kishi was personally enjoying writing it, but unfortunately it was not the same for readers.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is all well and good but then I’m reminded Samurai 8 was supposed to be Kishi’s passion project and look how that turned out. Perhaps Kishi was personally enjoying writing it, but unfortunately it was not the same for readers.
I’m of the opinion that Shimabu is a better writer than Kishimoto is.

So, I’m not worried Build King will share the same fate as Samurai 8.
 

KidaShikage

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
48
Reaction score
74
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
My ranking this week.

1: Jujutsu Kaisen
2: Hakaishin Magu-chan
3: Honomieru Shounen
4: One Piece
5: Sakamoto Days
6: Undead Unluck
7: Chainsaw-Man
8: Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
9: Boku to Roboco
10: Mashle
11: Build King
12: Agravity Boys
13: Ayakashi Triangle
14: Black Clover
15: Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen
16: Koukousei Kazoku
17: Shinrin Ouja Moriking
18: Dr. Stone
19: Bokura no Ketsumei
20: Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai

Good start for Sakamoto Days! I don't know where it'll go from here, but I want more.

Also, Gorilla's chapters in Boku to Roboco are always the best.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
It’s a passion project. When the author is having fun, I can personally feel it, which in turn makes me even more happy for them and enjoy the work that much more.
Totally, you can usually feel when something is a passion project or an author is genuinely having fun with what they're doing (a Bleach example I always think of is how obvious it is that Mayuri is one of Kubo's favourites by how much fun he has with his fights and the attention he gives him). But I also feel it can be a tricky balance where an author can become too self-indulgent and get lost in something they care deeply about without considering how it comes across to others who aren't on that same wavelength. But I guess that's what his editor should be there for. I'm definitely going to keep reading and hope something clicks eventually, time will tell.

On a purely subjective level I'm just not a fan of how Shimabukuro draws or panels his manga. It's not a disqualifier; as an example, I didn't like how Undead Unluck looked (and honestly still can't say I actively enjoy the artwork) but the recent plot developments have hooked me in, so anything's possible. I'm always open to liking a series that I didn't at first.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Saw somewhere that the cover of Kaiju 8 Vol 1 could be a reference to a poster of Shin Godzila movie


EDIT: Seeing the Godzilla poster made me see what I didn't like about the kaiju 8 cover. The shade (saturation?) of blue used isn't really working with the stark red background which is disappointing because one of my favorite colour contrast is red-blue.
 
Last edited:

Archaon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2019
Messages
328
Reaction score
493
Age
30
Country
Vietnam
The thing about passion project is that the author can become over-indulge in their passion and blind sided by their short coming. When reading S8, it make me feel like this is something the author would like to read himself, i would compare it to a story came up by a child, that child would be really excited to tell his friends all the ideas he have, all the lore, world details,... but at the end of the day, that not how you tell a story.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Loving the first chapter of Sakamoto Days.

Me and Roboco chapter was great too. If anyone’s interested, this is the music video that Shuhei Miyazaki lifted Akane’s character design from (tho he changed the name slightly from the lead singer Acane).

 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I wouldn't be surprised if Undead Unluck and Mashle won anime before Yozakura. UU and mashle sell better, they have already exceeded 30K, unlike Yozakura, which continues between 20K and 25K.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
3,118
Age
24
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if Undead Unluck and Mashle won anime before Yozakura. UU and mashle sell better, they have already exceeded 30K, unlike Yozakura, which continues between 20K and 25K.
Yozakura is exceeding 25k right now..???
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
3,118
Age
24
Country
United States
no, the last time i saw it. yozakura was at 23K.
24k on the 2nd week..? and its still on shoseki
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Speaking of which I don't think it was posted

11/20 Shoseki

#48 Haikyuu
#67 Chainsaw Man
#76 Dr. Stone
#395 Yozakura
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
24k on the 2nd week..? and its still on shoseki
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Speaking of which I don't think it was posted

11/20 Shoseki

#48 Haikyuu
#67 Chainsaw Man
#76 Dr. Stone
#395 Yozakura
you're right.

But, he is still selling less than mashle and undead unluck.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
3,118
Age
24
Country
United States
you're right.

But, he is still selling less than mashle and undead unluck.
Why does it have to be a competition, i mean jump is in a dry spot right now, it needs as many hits as possible and to release anime pretty soon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top