Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Ice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
525
Reaction score
222
Country
North Pole




Kuroko looks hot!!! Man the manga getting better and better!!!

The above post was interesting to read! Thank you :3
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also the guy with the 3 swords is called Seiroku. So number 6 in the Obsidian brotherhood. Out of the 8 memebers, we know Yataro (8), Nanao (7), Seiroku and of course Shiro (4).
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Maybe it was mentioned already way earlier, but I only realized this just now, Orient actually got digital english releases for a few volumes lol
Damn, finally getting somewhere with official english releases :clap Now we only need an anime adaptation to popularize it more globally.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Orient is ranked #8 for manga series that readers want to see animated (first half of 2020)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Orient volume 10 cover (full art) & back cover illustration was posted on Ohtaka's blog :D

It's interesting to note that Orient's 100th chapter releases on the same week as it's volume 10 release. I wonder if we'll get the popularity poll results (with copies in print update) then or a big announcement.
 
Last edited:

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Some rough translation scripts for Chapters 60-74 by Nanaten from Citrus Project:

60
CHAPTER 60: Embodiment of Broad-mindedness.

001
[After the mission on Awaji Island, Musashi and the others returned with first fleet.]
>Second and third fleet have successfully infiltrated Awaji island. We shall make plans based on the information they received from Yamato no Orochi.
>Two days from now we shall finally dispatch the entire fleet to subjugate the demons! Until then I wish to you cultivate each of your talents!
[Before the decisive battle, there is a short break. During that time, Musashi is...
[on his knees full of disappointment.]

002
>What's wrong with Musashi?
>I'm sure he's feeling down. Back on the ship, he was made fun off by Shimazu and the others pretty bad.
>Now, Princess. Let's leave that man alone!
>I'm a failure....
[Return boat]
>What?! You don't know how to fight with your Kitetsutou yet you dare to boss us around?!

003
>Is he stupid?!
>That's right, tell him more!
>It's true that I don't know you can't fight with Kitetsuto alone.
>But I can't just come out...
>That's right, so can I join you guys?
>...Like that. It's way too pathetic.
>But I can't fight by myself.
>I have to set aside my feeling.
>Please... let me joi....
>A small fish like you can't handle it.
In the battlefield, you'll be useless.

004
>He's a small fry yet he throws his own brand of justice. Didn't he say something like "There's no superior and subordinate in a Band of Bushi?"
>You don't join a band of Bushi just for fun.
If you want to make friends, do it outside of war.
>See ya, mistaken boy!
>Mistaken boy, huh?
They're probably right.
>I....
>We shouldn't just obey to our superior outright!
I said that, but....

005
>Once I set out on real battlefield I realized, during battle...
>If you disobey orders from superior, you and your allies could lose lives.
>Lord Naoe does it perfectly.
>There are times when it is necessary to issue and order to your comrade.
>I'm sure they know that as well.
>I didn't know anything, yet I preached them. What do they think?
>Just obeying is the same as being a slave! Let's talk!

006
(Wut...???)
>Huh?
>Aren't you misunderstand something?
>Is your head empty?
>Your childish philosophy sickens me.
>Read the mood!
>You're supposed to!
>Michiru, you get it, right?
>No, will you not lump me with you?
>Musashi, you're the worst, you shitty mistaken brat!
(Nooooooooo~~~)

007
[Night]
[Uesugi Bushi Band, Shiryuu Castle barracks.]
(Wahahaha)
(Hahaha)
>...

008
>I want to leave...
>I'm sure I won't be needed during the battle.
>I'm useless.
>To them, I'm just a troublesome person.
>The battle is going to be intense.
I should go look for Kojiro and Tsugumi...
>...

009
>Are you leaving?
>You...

010
>
>...
>This has nothing to do with you....
>What's with him?
>Well, that might be true, but I feel I shouldn't leave you alone.
>...
>...
>...?
>I somehow know how you feel.
>You're embarrassed because you couldn't catch up after being bossy, aren't you.
I know because I also ambarrassed myself in front of a vassal like that.
>Oh...

011
>But... even after that, you still protect us many times.
>That feeling wasn't a lie, was it?
>He...
>It's true that you know nothing about carrying a Kitetsutou.
>So what?
>That's just mean once you have the knowledge, it can open many possibilities, right?!

012
>You can become strong!
>You stopped my Iai, so you absolutely can!
>You....
>You're a super nice guy!!! (Four eyes...)
>My name is Katsumi Amako. (Who you're calling four eyes?)
>Katsumi!
To come here just to encourage me... You're too caring of a person.

013
>I'm the eldest son, after all.
>What kind of heir of a house isn't used to taking care of its people?
>Heir of a house is amazing. Are we supposed to be the same age?
>Thank god for his broad-mindedness.
>Who are you praying at.
>Praise be. Praise be.
>Well, it's troublesome because the heir can't be a platoon leader.
>What? Why do you want to be a platoon leader?
>None of your bussiness.
>That might be true,
But I'm curious now.
>Awaji Island is my hometown.
>Hometown?

014
>Amako was a small poor Band of Bushi based on Awaji Island, but thanks to the demon invasion, they lost their homes.
>Which is why I want to take it back. For that reason, I want to lead the group and fight with all my strength.
>Lost to demon invasion. That's terrible!
>Is that so? It's common nowadays.
>Is there any other reason for coming here? To come and fight?
>I'll be going then.
>So that's his reason.
To subjugate the demons.

015
>What about me?
Why do I subjugate the demons?
>To get information about father?
Because I was caught by Uesugi Bushi Band?
That's not it.
>Let's make the strongest Band of Bushi!
>To do that... do I really have to get away from Kojirou and Tsumugi?
>Is this fine? I lost, made fun of, vilivied, no use whatsoever. Pathetic. Is it okay for me to stay like this?

016
[Inspection Room]
>Get in line! Put the Kitetsu you've absorbed at the battlefield from your Kitetsuto to this scale.
>Don't even think of trying to cheat the scale!
>Next, first fleet, Naoe's Army, first Shimazu platoon!
>Hey, you have one less member.
>Musashi's absent.
>Did he run away?
>Well, he didn't absorb anything anyway.
>Oh my....
>....
>First platoon, all present and accounted for!

017
>Musashi!
>From now on, I have to become stronger so I can fight alongside them.
>I don't care how pathetic, embarrassing, or shameful it is.
>I've already decided....

018
>I'll do my best!
>Praise to Katsumi!
>Ka-Katsumi!? Why are you bowing your head to my Young Master? Kieeee!!!
>Why are you worshipping Young Master?
>He's the embodiment of broad-mindedness.
He's the Budha of Hell.
>B-Budha?! He's not that grant! Stop worshipping him! Stop it!!!
61
CHAPTER 61: SPARKLE

001
>Wrong, that's not how you do it!!!
>When you receive Touki, hold your sword vertically. How many times do I have to explain for you to understand?!
>Sc-Scary~!!!
>What, he was so kind yesterday and now he's a completely different person. What happened to him?

002
>Anyway, show me how to connect to Touki.
>You two are doing special training. Goold luck, Young Master!!!
>Damn you Katsumi, are you nervous because your subordinates are watching?
>Before they can connect, first you must stop my Touki with your sword!

003
>I told you not to avoid it!!!
>It was instinct!!!
>I'd get charred to black if I took that!? Like anyone stupid enough to take a lightning?!
>That's not a lightning, it was Touki!
>Like I know!

004
>Read the opponent's trajectory from the movement and posture when they shoot, hold your sword vertically when you receive instead of using your arm, and at the same time, shift your weight forward!
>This is bad, none of these get inside my head!
>In other words, dealing with Touki is the same as dealing with a sword! You have the aptitude for a sword, so you can definitely do it!
>Trust your sword hand!!!
>Just remember everything you have practiced until now!
>Everything I've practiced...?
>...

005
>Father...
>Kojirou...
>....
(Gasp!)

006
>The Touki was dispersed. You failed to receive it.
>Ah...
(You hold your sword too high)
>But you didn't get scared, right?
>Yeah!
>How come?

007
>Is it because I saw it as a normal sword?
>That's good. To put it simply, Touki is the extension of a sword.
>Don't be fooled by it's lightning appearance. Think a Touki released from a distance...
>As a really long sword.
>A really long sword?
>A swing from a spear arrives longer than a short sword, right?
>With that in mind, when a touki from five swords length comes,
Imagine a sword five times its length coming at you and block it.

008
>Oh, I think I get it?
>In that case, I'm not scared.
>Right?
>There's another link between Touki and sword skill.
>The personality of a swordsman can be seen from the Kitetsuto attack.
>For example, a swing from a skillful swordsman...
>will release a lot of weak Touki from their Kitetsuto.

009
>Oh!?
>On the other hand, swordsmen with a one hit kill techniques, they will release one powerful blast of Touki.
>Kitetsuto reflects its user's heart. If kindness wins over killing intent, Techniques based on defense and support will form.
>Touki is not a strange psychic ability!
>It's the reflection of a swordsman's technique and way of life.
>Once you think you can fight against each other like that...
>Fighting against Touki is nothing scary. Instead, doesn't that make you excited?

010
>So a fight between Touki is a fight between swordsmen way of life?!
>Alright, come at me one more time!
>Wonderful, young master!!!
>You even managed to teach this Super Rookie! As expected from a dependable noble!
>Let's do a hundred, Super Rookie!
>You guys stop praising him! He'll overdo it!
>Prepare!!!
>Eek, don't be so rough!

011
>Shiryuu Castle Inner Citadel, Castle Tower.
>That happened? You remember this castle, right?
>Yeah, this takes me back.

012
[Leader of Uesugi Bushi Band, Tatsuomi Uesugi]
[Leader of Takeda Bushi Band, Naotora Takeda]
>Us included, there are five Great Bushi Band.

013
>Their successors have been closely interacting since childhood.
>It's to achieve the dream of world peace.
>It's merely a hostage diplomacy. Everytime you say such an ideal, just shows how inexperienced you are...
>Don't say that. Takeda supports Uesugi by providing reinforcement as a gift. The battle of Kawanakajima is long past now.
>So how's the Awaji Island plan?
>Not bad. We've checked the position of Yamato no Orochi's horn and how hard it is. We shall subjugate it in five days.
>What, so it's going smooth? Then what do you need Takeda reinforcement for?
>I have another reason to call you.
>Naotora....

014
>We found Kokuyou no Megami.
>Where?
>Witness says at a mine in Mimasaka
>If we do find Kokuyou no Megami there...
>We can end the demon subjugation era.
>We can change history, Naotora!

015
>But it seems that the enemy has also obtained this information.
>Those damned Kuroinu!
>Yeah, will surely come into the picture.
>Taking advantage of the situation with Yamata no Orochi, they will come and conquer Uesugi.
Probably from the inside.
>Inside?
>Yeah. They will use Kisetsuto. It's easy to pose as a Bushi.

016
>Therefore, they will come and scout our plan to recapture Awaji Island.
>Perhaps
their minion.
>Princess, don't forget about the mission.
>I know.
62
CHAPTER 62: BLACK WINGS

001
>Wrong, you face the sword like this!
How many times do I have to explain?
>Sorry!

002
>Michiru, you saved us by reporting us Uesugi's affairs through the ore!
>Yes, father.
>But scouting comes second. Do you remember you actual mission?
>Yes.
>You will find Kokuyou no Megami and kill the host.
>....

003
>Did you find anything about that Redheaded Samurai? You should know him by his appearance from Shirou.
>Forgive me, I still haven't found him yet.
>I see. But once you meet him you should know. After all, stones are connected.
>...?
>Anyway, I look forward to it. I love you, Michiru. After all, you are the best daugther I ever have!
>Lady Michiru, have you finished your call? Did you report the discovery of Kokuyou no Megami?
>Yes. I told him, I'm watching it, grandfather.

004
>As your bodyguard, I don't think surveillance is enough.
>We should kill him when we have the chance! He's full of openings ever since we met him!]
>There's a limit to how much we can impersonate the Sawatari Samurai.
>Moreover, once Uesugi finds out he's Kukoyou no Megami's vessel. The Bushis will take the goddess away.
>Then, our wish of the demon god's prosperity goes away with it.
>I know. I shall end it before that happens.

005
>It's okay. Nobody found out.
>That there is Kokuyou no Megami inside Musashi. I'm okay until the Bushis find out.
>We can still be together.
>....
>Will Musashi die?
>Do I really have to kill him?
>....

006
>I don't want that.
[The moment I met him, I know.]
[This man takes my breath away.]

007
[My father is the one who gave me that order.]
[Father is my important person. My only have father alone. But...]
>"I love you, Michiru. After all, you are the best daugther I ever have!"
[That is a lie.]
[Because the moment I was born...]
>Another failed product. Why I can't make anything other than junk?! Damn it!!!
[I heard him lamenting.]
[I am....]

008
[I was tossed away.]
[As nothing but a grain of pebbles.]
[Not even given a name.]
[Every day, lying pointlessly, thinking.]

009
[I have no value to anyone.]
[If so, do I actually exist at all?]
[Long time passed like that.]
[My turning point came when I took the Sword Trial.
>Oh, well done! You are special... I shall give you a name!
>I know, your name is...
>Michiru. Because you are my 3000th daughter!
[Michiru, that is my name! It was the moment I became a special individual being from a grain of pebbles.]

010
[I'm so happy, I can fulfill my mission!]
[I can infiltrate the Uesugi Bushi Band. I have value to father!]
[But, that's my only value.]
[I know once I fulfill my mission, I'll go back to just being a pebble without value again...]
[I hate it. That's why I will do my best.]
[I shall kill that redheaded man! As soon as I am sent out to the outside world! That's what I thought...
>You're bleeding here!
>Oh, it's from when I saved you.
>You saved me?
>Why? It's not like I will become his if he does that.
>Despite that, he still bled for my sake.

011
>....
>This person...
Is strange....
(Hahaha!!!)
>He smiled!!!
>Oh, thank god you're not mad.
>....
>What a mystery...
He still call me by my name despite not showing any value whatsoever.
[You are...]
[The first person to smile at me unconditionally.]
[Hey, Could you tell me?]

012
[How do I... not to fall in love with you?]
(Like this!)
(No, like this!)
>I still don't know the answer.
>Michiru!

013
>I'm practicing how to block a Touki. But I can't do it.
(He~y)
>They way you block is too crude.
>Is it possible that the way you release Touki too fast?
>What?! Then go ask someone else! Hmph!
>You're right. Michiru, could you release your Touki on me?
>? (Me?)
>That's right.
>I have the feeling that I can connect with Michiru!
Won't you help?

014
>Musashi is keeping quiet about me.
>I'm so happy.
>Connecting with Musashi?
>Yes.
>How will it feel... to connect Touki with Musashi.
>....
>Let's try a little.
>Oh yeah!
>Like that'll make any difference!
>He's smooth.
>Filthy.
>Here I come. Musashi, try to block it, okay?

015
>Okay, come at me!!!
>Hiyah!
>Ooh, well done!?
(How?!)
>Ah... I'm connected to Musashi.
>This feels...
>Huh? What is it...?
>What is this feeling...?

016
>Huh... what?!

017
>Wha...
>What is that?!
>Ah....
>Father will find him!
63
CHAPTER 63: SPY

001
>What is that huge black thing?

002
>Y-young master...?
>Yeah, what happened? If I recall, both of them were caught inside that thing...?
>....
>....
>Whoa, it's rampaging!
>We should hold it down first!!!
>...?!
>What's up with that black crystal?!

003
>Black crystal...? Kojirou, does that mean...?
>Yeah... it's similar to the Sword Trial then.
Did something happened to Musashi?
>Musashi...
>Musashi...!

004
>Huh, Michiru?
>Father is going to find you!
>Father?
>So this what he meant by "Stones are connected?" When our Touki touch, my stone synchronised with you.
>What are you talking about? I don't get it!
>The Bushi's must not catch us inside here.
>We have to escape.

005
>Uwoooh, Hold it down!
>We can't! Normal Touki can't hold it!
>Hey, Kuroko!!!
>I know, Kanetatsu.

006
>Kitetsuto, Gokumon Rashou (T/N: Prison Pattern)

007
>A Touki Prison?!
>So strong...?! Can't escape....
>Oh no, I can't maintain my power.

008
>We caught it! As expected from the instructor! The best of the Uesugi's army!
[Uesugi Bushi Band 1st Green Sword, Kuroko Usami]
>So they're the true identity of the black crystal?!

009
>I can't have the Bushis find out about demon god and father.
>And... and...!
>I have to hide the fact that Musashi is the vassal of Kokuyou no Megami!
>Father said that Uesugi is also looking for her.
>To take out the goddess is to kill the host...!
>I won't let them! I will protect Musashi!
>My... My Lord!

010
>Uesugi, master of Bushi.
>How much does he know? What did he come for?
>My lord....
>This woman is under investigation for possibly being a Kuroinu spy. We have suspicion that she is not the real princess of Sarutawari.

011
>How about we interrogate them at the punishment site? I'm sure it will raise the morale for tomorrow's subjugation.
(Gasp!)
>What?! Not just me, but Musashi as well?!
>They suspect Musashi is a spy? No, if they check Musashi, they will find Kokuyou no Megami!
>You two, get up!
>No, there's only one enemy spy.
>Thank goodness! I'm the only one who was found out!
>What kind of torture will they give?
>I won't spill anything.

012
>The subjugation is in five days anyway. Father said they will leave once they eat up the island minerals.
>That's why, as long as I survive the interrogation for five days, My father and I win!
>This one is the spy!
Capture him and put him on a stake!!!

013
>Who, me> (What?)
>Come here!
>Why!!?
Why Musashi instead of me?!!

014
>Now, how should we proceed with the interrogation?
>Can he withstand with his limbs intact?
>This man...!!!
>He's using Musashi as bait to make me spill information about the demon god!
>He's trying to use my special feelings towards Musashi!!!
>How vile...!? I have to save Musashi!
>But I must not speak about father or the demon god...!?

015
>What...
>Should I do?!
>....
>Come here!!!
>An enemy spy?!
>I don't know, but don't you think this is bad?
>Our platoon is one person short just before tomorrow's strike....
>You're right! What if we don't get sent out to the battlefield?! We still don't have any achievement!
>....
>That guy, how far is he going to pull my leg...?
(Tsk!)

016
>Let's give him a hand, General!
>....
>Put me down!!!

017
>I don't know anything about the demon god! Not to brag, but I didn't know how to fight using Kitetsuto until yesterday!
(It's a misunderstanding!)
>I'm innocent!!!
(Uwaaah! Uwaaah! Uwaaaah!)
>Musashi, I will save you now.
>But if I go down there, it will go as Uesugi planned. That can't happen.
>I shall do it discreetly using the power of stones given by father.
>She's using the power of stones.

018
>It's the strange crystal the Kuroinu and those underlings used.
>I can see the reaction through the kaleidoscope when the power of stones is being used.
["True Horn Kaleidoscope", a tool made with Kitetsu. It points the location of Demon God's horn.]
>I confirm the same horn reaction as the Saruwatari Princess from Southern Awaji at the top of Yuzuriha mountain!
>We found the lair of the mastermind, My Lord!
>If we defeat Kuroinu using the Yamato no Orochi, we can reduce the demon god's power to great length!
>Tomorrow's assault on Awaji Island, I shall take Kuroinu's head at once!
64
CHAPTER 64 Cause and Reward

001
[Uesugi Bushi Band's Shiryuu Castle.
That day, all Bushis involved in the upcoming recapture of Awaji Island are gathered.]
[The following day is the demon god Yamato no Orochi's subjugation,

002
[Warriors of all ages march to this dangerous battlefield out of duty and favor are divided into two groups.]
[In other words... those whose blood boils for the cause and those who do it for the reward.]

003
>Currently, half the land of Hinomoto is occupied by Black Demon God.
>Up North is Echigo of Uesugi, In the East is the Mikawa Totomi of Tokugawa, West is the former capital of Kyoto. Many people have their homes taken over by demons there as well.
>Can we allow our pride and history being tarnished like that?!
>Like hell we do.
>It's time to take it back with our sword!!!
(YEAAAH!!!)

004
>We shall take back our country from the black demon god.
>This extermination of Yamata no Orochi is a vital operation for that cause!
As you know, the nutrient demon children eats goes straight to the demon parent.
Yamata no Orochi is one of the four direct descendant of the Black Demon God.
If we cut off one of its major feeding supplies...
>The Black Demon God will have one fourth less power!!!
(OOOH!!!)
>That being said, for the last 150 years, no one was able to slay Yamata no Orochi. It's a dangerous task.
>Can we do it?!

005
>It has eight heads and eight horns. Cut them all off and Yamata no orochi is dead!!! Anyone who is able to cut off even one horn...
>Shall receive a fortress from I, Uesugi, as a reward!!!
>Fortress as a reward?!
>Originally a Demon God, the fastest mobile fortress!
>Even if you are a rookie Bushi, once you own a castle, you're basically set as a Bushi Band.
>There's no better reward than this!!! It belongs to us!!!
>Hunt the Orochi and become the lord of the country!

006
>...
That achievement belongs to us.
>Oh, Shimazu Platoon!
>Bad news, you won't be deploying for tomorrow's operation!

007
>...
What?!
>What do you mean, Lord Naoe?
>Two of your members are currently under investigation and we can't say you guys are not unrelated suspects. Once you're cleared off the suspicion, you can join the battle. Until then, stand by at the castle. (So noisy.)
>Under suspicion for an enemy's spy? We have nothing to do with this. We can't achieve our goals if we can't go to the battlefield. What should we do, Lord Akihiro?

008
[Meanwhile at the execution ground.]
>So noisy out there.
>Thanks for saving me, Michiru!
>She's so kind! She was worried and came for me.
She even brought me clothes...
>Still, what's up with today's incident? And what's up with that black ore?

009
>What did you do with the guards?
>They're fine. I only knocked them unconscious.
>Huh? You're Shimazu's...?
>Why did you come here?
>Don't tell me you were worried about me so you decided to come here and save me.
Yeah, right. Hahaha....

010
>His Kitetsuto...
>What...?!

011
>In front of the upper-ranks, spill out your identity!
>Musashi!
>Explain that Shimazu has nothing to do with you!
>What, you came here to interrogate me?
>Threaten me with your blade... and what?
>...
Let's see...
>I'll leave you with only your head and throat. Is that enough to make you confess?

012
>He's serious...!
>Are you angry?
>...
This is so we can go to the battlefield.
>You're pointing your Kitetsuto to an ally!
>Ally? No...
>You're just an annoying obstable.
(Obstacle, he say?)
>What about me is annoying?!
>You're in the way of my success.

013
>I can have a promotion only if I have accomplished great achievements on the battlefield.
>That's what I want.
>What???

014
>Why does he look so depressed?
>Promotion, and achievement? That's the opposite of might you mentioned.
>What happened to that power you used on our fight?
>Like that time...
Or that time...?
>...?
Was everything you've done until now for the sake of getting achievements just to get ahead?
>I don't get it...
Just what...
What are you thinking?

015
>What?!
>Huh?

017
>Kyahaha, Sister!
>We're here to help!
>Who are these guys?
>We came here on father's order to help you retrieve the goddess!
>The goddess?
65
Chapter 65: Tears of a Rock

001
>I found the Black Goddess!
>But unfortunately, it's right in the middle of Uesugi Bushi Band's castle. If we try to recapture her, we will have to engage them in battle.
>The as brothers, we shall team up! Yataro, you will be in charge of capturing the Black Goddess.
>And we shall deal with Uesugi Bushi Band.
[One of the Eight Obsidians, Seiroku Inukawa
>Still, you managed to locate the Black Goddess. How did you do it?
>I sent out my excellent daughter. Her name is Michiru.

002
>Wh-what, who are these guys?!

003
>They're huge!
>Kyahaha, we're inside Bushi Band's castle!?
>Don't get so jumpy.
>We're tired of seeing the scenery of Awaji island.
>Who are these guys? Demons?

004
>No, this is the first I see talking demons.
>Are they humans?
>Hey!
>We have no time to investigate. We are currently outnumbered. We should secure our exit first.
>He's so calm.
>He's right. I don't even have my kitetsuto right now.
>I have to find an opening.... Michiru?
>Big Sis Michiru, we came to help your mission to procure the black goddess~!
>Big sis Michiru...?

005
>What's happening to big sis?
>Is her brain lagging?
>No. 3000 is an old model after all.
>So how come this clumsy girl gets the special treatment from father? It's not fair!
[Minami: No. 3703]
>Don't be salty about it. But It does fit your name.
>Shut up!
>Do you know these guys? What do they mean by mission? Michiru?
>My, you two seems like good friends. Big sis Michiru, you're such a player!
>Player, what does she mean?
>Stop... please don't say it...!

006
>You see, red hair...
>She might be acting all so innocent and cute, but it was all an act to retrieve the black goddess.
>Seriously, her mind is filled with nothing but different ways to kill you all the time. How terrible, kyahahahaha!!!

007
>So she's one of the people in cahoots with the demons.
>Huh, as if. Of course she's not. Right? Michiru, a spy? Sent here to kill me?
>Come on, Michiru's a good girl. She worries about me all the time.
>She's sent here to retrieve the black goddess? Well, something similar happened before.
>They too approached me by being nice to me, but....

008
>I'm sorry.
>Everything is true...
>Michiru....

009
>Why's big sis Michiru leaking?
>She's probably in love with him? (Yup!)
>What's love?
>Well, when humans reproduce, liquids came out of their bodies. That's what father said.
(Heh.)
>Don't tell me Michiru's planning to betray father.
>Michiru is...?
>She's with the demons... but from her appearance, she's a normal girl.
>What?!
>She grew horns.

010
>Who is this guy?!
>It's Father!
>Father came to speak to us!
>He is my father.
>Your father?
>Michiru, good work. Your work here is done, therefore you may return to me.
>Musashi.
You see....

011
>I wanted...
to earn my father's trust.
>And I ended up hurting you.
>But I never wanted to...
>I wanted to feel like I am necessary to someone.
>But that's never the reason to do something this cruel.
>Now, kill this red-haired boy!
>Do it, or we will never accept you as family!
>Do it!
>Do it now!

012
(Annoyed)
>Come on! What are you waiting for? Do it!
>Ah!?
>NO!!!

013
>OW!!?
>There go the tears!
>Michiru, weÅfre escaping!

014
>You're not weird for longing to be wanted by your father!
>There's nothing weird about it!

015
>It hurt, you damn brat!!!
>She betrayed father, right? Anyone who brings shame to us siblings will be devoured!!!
>Uwawawawa!
>I can't handle them!!?

016
>Michiru!
>Please, somebody, protect my precious someone!
(Munch Munch)
>Big sis Michiru tastes good!
>It your fault. Any rock who can't do their job is just a pebble!

017
>Wha...?!


018
>Lord Naoe!!
>Anyone who disturbs Uesugi's order...
>Shall die!!!
66
Chapter 66: The circle of life (T/N: Literally reproductive providence)

002
>Lord Naoe!
>Who are these guys?
>They're Uesugi's swordsmen.
>How peculiar...
>A variant speaking human language? Are they demons?

003
>Don't lump us together with demons!
>The bodies father made for us are the strongest!
>Bodies made by your father?
>Their chopped up bodies are returning to their original state.
>You Uesugi lot, give us the black goddess! Anyone who dares to protect her will be given no mercy!!!
>What, the black goddess?!

004
>You're already driven to the corner, why don't you just pass on?
>Do you wanna go?! That means you're protecting the Black Goddess!?
>From the looks of it, it's either one of those two.

005
>Michiru... hey, Michiru!!
>She's not responding. What's happening to her? She's bleeding from her rock horn thingy.
>Michiru, what are you?!
>No....

006
>No matter what she is, She's still Michiru!
>Hand me that girl!
>Ah?!

007
>This is bad, with her horns, they'll think her as an enemy!?
>Wait, she's different!?
>What was that?!
>Don't misunderstand.
>I only used my Touki to close her wounds and stop her bleeding.
>I am a binder.
>I close the wounds of my comrade. I use kitetsuto so I can protect.

008
>It's going to be okay.
>Thank you very much.
>I was preparing for the worst, but this lady stopped Michiru's bleeding. Thank goodness.

009
>Why did you come to help us? (You were merciless when I was suspected of being a spy.)
>That was because branding either one of you was a pai... (Pai... pai...)
>Eh? (a pai?)
>Never mind that!
>Her smile is scary, but she's a nice lady!
>Looks like the battle is over!
>Eh?
>GYAAA!!!
>Kuh!

010
>Total defeat!!!
>It's over.

011
>Incredible. Only three enemies left out of thirty!
>How's the show?
>I don't have my Kitetsuto, give me a break!
>What should we do?
>At a time like this, right, Big sis Mishio?
>Yeah, because I'm the oldest model among us. Go ahead.
>What are they doing?
>Okay, good bye, Big sis Mishio~!

013
>What? Those guys...
>They're eating their comrades, no, sibling...?
>So the whole family gets stronger!
>Yes, my children.
>Him again....

014
>Only superior children survive on inferior member.
>And then pass on their blood continuously. That is the circle of life.
>That is the beauty of a family.

015
>You just talk about how you get along! Does he not consider anything? He just orders it like it's a normal thing?!
>What the hell is wrong with them?
>Aaah~ the power is running inside me!
>Hmph!
>She deflected Lord Naoe's attack?!

016
>Reflective barrier!
>That's Demon God Yamata no Orochi's technique!?
>Of course, it was. Inside our bodies...
>Yamata no Orochi's blood is running!!!
>What? Who are these guys?
>That's not all! There are many other girls who were just as strong after eating their siblings! Kyahahaha!!!

017
>Uwah?!
That many?!
>Eat the minerals in this castle!!! And we'll get stronger!!!

018
>This is strange. Where did they come from?
>Where? You mean they didn't arrive from the sky?
>All those demons are strong enough to deflect Lord Naoe's attack? How can we fight them?
>Do not worry. We have our lord.
>By our lord, you mean Lord Uesugi?
67
Chapter 67: Unrivaled Joy

001
>We arrived!
>The town is under attacked by demons!

002
>What a mess.
>The town's under attack by so many enemies. How do we protect it?!

003
>We can't allow them get to the castle!
>Let's go, you lot!
>Sir!
>I shall protect you and this girl!
>Why?!
>I'll explain later. For now...
>Take a good look at the way Uesugi fights.
>The way Uesugi fights?!
>What does she mean?

004
>These guys are too weak, Father!
>Yeah, at this rate, I can both retrieve the black goddess and annihilate Uesugi.
>Charge all at once! Get stronger, my daugthers!
>Yes, Father!
(Gya! Gya!)

005
>These guys...
>They got strogner everytime they eat their comrades!
>I only need excelent children. I don't need failures.
Somebody, get rid of Michiru.
>Get rid of her, you say?

006
>She's a faulty product for betraying me. Her head must have been broken.
>I don't need her anymore. Her sister will dispose her by eating her.
>Michiru wanted to be acknowledged by him. Needed by him.
>He ordered her to be eaten like a livestock?

007
>You seem dissatisfied. Do you not prefer cannibalism?
>Isn't something that living creature does?
>Don't lump us together with monster!
>Really? Have you not seen a mother cat devour its immature offspring?
>Through selective breeding, a child obtained the love and resource of its parents. Some child hold value to the flock and some are worthless.
>You too, have you not try to proof your worth in order to avoid rejection from your comrades?
>I'll do anything!

008
>It is not shameful. It's an instict that you are familiar with!
>Only a handful of those selected have taken away resources from many others. That is the reality of being prosper!
>This guy irritates me!
>Isn't it the same with the way bushi fights?
>It's our lord! Our lord has come to save us!

009
>Gather every Touki you have to me!!!
>That man who fights using connected touki. That is another example of a creature who monopolizes power from everything.
>You're wrong.
>No, that is exactly how a bushi fights.
>What?

010
>It's a one-on-one fight between those who carry everything.
>Come!
>Huh?

011
>Eh?
>What?! He's aiming at his allies?!

012
>Has our lord lost it?
>What, you never heard about the power of yellow kitetsuto?
>The power of Yellow kitetsuto? (What's that?)

013
>Yup, Bushi who carries yellow soul color can utilize this power.
(From top clockwise: White, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow)
>Our lord is a yellow sword user. His affinity is special.
>He can convert Touki. Originally, it has destructive power that can only burn the target like lightning.
>But he can convert it to the strongest armor.
>The sharpest blade, and the fastest feet.
>And not for himself, but he can put it on his allies.

014
>That's the kind of Bushi he is!
>Listen, Kuroinu!

015
>I cannot agree to you! We see life differently.
>Therefore, we have to display our strength,
The joy of displaying that power is unrivaled!
>However, it's contradictory!
>Our power, without displaying value,
>Even when they are accepted and given something,
>We still feel joy.
>Musashi, I want you to live.
>You have to think your own value!

016
>He encourages and supports his comrades.
>That's the yellow bushi's ability.
[Uesugi Bushi Band, First Yellow Bushi, Tatsuomi Uesugi]
>Are you ready? These are my proud family.
>Wear the uniform of the god of war, you guardian dragons!!!

018
>Look at them! Do you know what those are?
>Those are the enemies!
>They are our clan's enemies who trampled upon Uesugi castle!!!
>You lot!
>Charge!!!
68
Chapter 68: Uniform of the god of war

002
>Kuh!?
>Ugh!?
>They're too fast, I can't put up reflective barrer in time!
>Minami, what should we do?!
>That's my line, Iwanami!
>Damn it, I thought Bushis are supposed to be weak.
>Yeah, they are a bunch of humans.
They are supposed to be weak lifeforms.

003
>They become stronger as soon as they wear that shining armor!?

004
>Don't get carried away, you filthy bugs!
>Yeah yeah, we're supposed to be just a bunch of bug with feeble arms.

006
>Their bodies, that's not the strength of normal humans!
>Don't cry, intruders!
>You brat...!
>I'll bite you off!!!
>Wha-what?!

007
>Don't underestimate the power of the armor our lord put on us!!!

009
>Incredible! They're too powerful!!!
>Yes, with Uniform of the god of war, He can make Uesugi Bushis into an invincible army.
>By giving his own touki, he can increase their physical strength exponentially as long as they wear it.
>That technique can make his allies stronger?
>Yes, but Uesugi's strength not only relies on that.
>What do you mean?
>What separates us Uesugi Bushi Band than the rest of other Bushi band is...

010
>Our large chain of Touki.
>Large chain of touki?
>Yes, take a look.
>That yellow man with an eyepatch! He's the one strengthen the bushis!
>That means if I take him down, the rest of them will follow suit!
>I am the chosen one. I am the chosen one. I am the better daughter than the rest of them. Kyaha!!!
>Okay, let's go!!!

011
>Wha-what the hell?!
>It's difficult to receive touki from your comrades.
>Have you ever practiced that?
>I have...
>Unless you have good chemistry and trust with each other, you cannot connect your Touki. Average bushi on Seki mountain, can only chain four to five toukis.
>But our Uesugi Bushi band is different.
>We have been living as family in this castle for hundreds of years.
We built up a solid blood bond and synergy.
>That's the kind of leadership our lord has.
>Fourth company, Pliades formation! Tie up enemies neck!
>And that is exactly how he become the longest chain of touki among the 5 great bushi band.

012
>It's a dragon!
>Unbreakable unison, that produces the large chain of touki.

013
>That is....

014
>The strength of Uesugi Bushi band!!!
>My lord!
>My lord!
>Your majesty! Thank you so much!
>They're incredible! So that's the commander of Uesugi Bushi Band!

015
>Strange...
>How did the enemy managed to infiltrate the castle?
>There's no reaction from the defense line and surveillance outside. It's strange.
>With this large number of demons, how did they get in?
>I let them in.

016
>Eh?
>It's my kitetsuto's power! You too are holding a good sword.
>But goodbye!
69
Chapter 69: Infection

001
>You too have an excellent sword. But goodbye!

002
>We defeated the demons!
>We still don't know where the enemy got in. There might still be more. Look around in the waiting area.
>Sir!
>Where's our lord?
>Good. Uesugi Bushi band won!

003
>Hey, you managed to come back alive!
>I couldn't get the job done right.
>Obviously. Only those who practiced enough can link to Touki chain. You should join with your platoon as well.
>No matter how strong you are, you can't become a good bushi alone.
>She's right.
[His platoon members]
>I'm on a visit.
>Damn, if only I have my kitetsuto!
>But this is strange.
>What is?

004
>It's strange that demons managed to infiltrate the castle.
>We put special barriers around the castle to prevent invasion.
>Thanks to the barrier there had never been an incident where demons invaded deep into the castle. So why now?
>I teleported them using my technique!
>Hmm?
>Huh?
>You...!

005
[One of the Eight Obsidians, Shiro Inukai]
>You're the black swordsman back during the sword ceremony. What are you doing here?!
>Who the hell are you?
>Recognize this sword?

006
>That's our lord's kitetsuto!
>Milord?

007
>I took that eyepatch's soul. It has a pretty color.
>Our majesty has been defeated?
>It can't be.
>You should've looked at his face when he died.

008
>How dare you!!!
>He blocked it!
>Damn you!
>Everyone, link your touki!!!
>Lady Usami!
>Kuroko...!

009
>He's alone! We're Uesugi's black company with 5000 people!!! Calm down Kanetatsu!!!
>Our strength lies on our Touki chain! Let's show him!!!
>You're right!

010
>So many of them!!!
>Uh!?

011
>You're alone! No matter how strong you are, as long as you cannot link your touki, we won't be afraid of you!
>With this many number, they might win!?
>Take this!

012
>Haha!

013
>The touki stopped?
>My comrades behind me stopped sending power!?
>What are you guys doing?!
>What the hell is this?!

014
(Head: infection)

015
>You... what the hell did you do to us?!

016
>I cut off your touki link by force!
>That's the kind of technique he has.
>You cut off...
>...our touki by force?!
>Who is he?!
>Damn you, Shiro!
>Don't spill out your ally's technique to your opponents!
>Ally?

017
>I mean me, for crying out loud
>Where's you sense of camaraderie and brotherhood?
>I don't get anything that you said as always.
>Who just arrived?
>Once again, as Shiro had said.
>My kitetsuto allows me to cut any touki link.
>Exactly as you expected, a lone bushi is weak. Now, that your signature attack has been sealed, what will you do? What an interesting case.
>Come, Shiro!

018
>One of the eight obsidians, Seiroku Inukawa.
>Now let's team up us brothers. You and I...
>shall annihilate the uesugi bushi band!
70
Chapter 70: God Summoning

001
>Shiro and I shall annihilate Uesugi Bushi Band

002
>Annihilate? Who the hell are they?
>You...

003
>Nice to meet you, Uesugi Bushi Band!
>You can no longer fight by connecting your Touki.
> Your clan chief has been slain. How unfortunate.

005
>He's not bluffing.
>It's useless no matter what you try. You've been sealed by my technique.

006
>It has spread through the connection between all bushi elites. You are weak individually.
>In other words, you can't even sever a single demon horn.
>I can't cut the horn!
>Lord Naoe and the rest of them? Just like me, they've become weak?!
>With this, The Uesugi Bushi Band can't commence the extermination tomorrow. Shiro, let's kill them.
>Nah!

007
>...
>Ugh!?
>He teleported in an instant?!

008
>Stay vigilant! He uses strange techniques!
>Shiro you idiot! Your target this time isn't that boy, it's Uesugi!
(He's gone!?)
>Nah, I'm not interested in Uesugi!
>But out of a mountain of good swords here.
>Rather than that Bushi...
>Or that Bushi...

009
>You're special.
>Man, this guy got some ridiculous strength!
>What's so special about that grunt?
>Huh?
But.
>I felt the presence of the goddess from this girl too. How?
>What are you saying?

010
>I would like to stay and chat, but I can't take you with me right now!
>You can't stay here. This castle is about to get destroyed.
>Are you causing another incident?
>Are you kidding me? My friends are inside this castle.
>Lord Naoe, there're two enemies. We can't engage in battle with only two Toukis connected.
>Our black company's Touki is in disarray and the mercenaries under the union are on standby.

011
>It's a shame, but goodbye!
>You wanna go?!
>What is that?

012
>The surrounding's changing...!?
>He vanished!!?

013
>No, I just swapped him to another location.
>I cut the space around him and replaced it with a part of Awajishima!
>What do you mean "swapped"?
>I can make a part of Asajishima to appear from this square.
>A part of Awajishima?

014
>What is this place?
>Inside of Awajishima.
>While Shirou is fighting Uesugi Bushi Band. I will kill you and retrieve the goddess.
>Michiru, you've done a great job. Now, return to me.
>That voice...!

015
>For the most part, Shiro doesn't like killing Bushi band... not directly anyway.
>To instill a lot of fear, we Should use the forbidden hand of God Summoning.
>That's...

016
>Demon God Yamata no Orochi's head...

017
>You are...
>Michiru's father!?

018
>That's my daughter. I'll punish her. Give her to me.
>Like hell I will!
71
Chapter 71: Father and Daugther

001
>Where am I?
>We were at the castle just a moment ago and now there's nothing.
>Uesugi's castle... I'm sure at this moment Shirou is attacking it. In the meantime, I am going to kill you.

002
>To retrieve the Black Goddess.
>That again? What is it anyway? That Black Goddess thing?
>Black Goddess is...
>A great power.
>It's a compass that points to fate in the orient.

003
>And that means...?
>And you are you supposed to be?
>Didn't the previous vessel told you anything?
>Previous? Generation?
>Wait, that dark woman said a similar thing.
>Listen, Musashi. You are my vessel, so don't get killed.
>Jisai was killed midway.
>Do you know Jisai Kanemaki?!

004
>Jisai Kanemaki? Who's that?
>Huh?
>Is he asking back? I don't get it.
>Or was that supposed to be your last word? In that case, die?
>Is he coming, but I can't use Kitetsuto. Now what?!

005
>Should I run? Nah, that's not gonna work.
>He's about to dispose of Michiru.
>Urk, Michiru?
>Are you awake, Michiru? Keep restraining him, I'll finish him!!!

006
>Dear father, please do not kill this man.
>What?!!

007
>Michiru,
are you betraying me despite everything?
>No, your body is damaged, you're not thinking straight.
>No, I am conscious, Father.
>Then why are you not doing your job? I ordered you to kill him!
>Why?

008
>I don't know.
>I know what my order is. I've considered killing him myself.
>But...
>What if this man dies?
>We won't be talking together anymore.
>Smiling together.
>When I think of those times, I sense something warm inside my chest.
>What I think of how it all is going to disappear...

009
>I couldn't bring myself to do it.
>Is something wrong with me, father?
>Michiru...

010
>B-But...
>I still want to be useful to you! To my father whom I've spent fond memories with...
>I am aware of my action, but...
>But still I yearn for your affection...
I want to be useful to you. Please you.
I know you don't love me.
It's strange.

011
>Good night~
>(Stare~)
>I...
>I thought this old man was just a bad dude.
>No, I still think he is.
>But to Michiru, he's...

012
>He's her precious flesh and blood!
> To save Michiru...
>I thought of escaping with her or beating him up.
>But is that the problem?
>How do I resolve this?
>He sheathed his sword!?
>To save this boy and to meet my expectation.
>You've been thinking that this whole time?
>Eh? Ah!
>Yes!

013
>I shall look up the way to extract the black goddess out of Musashi without killing him!
>Us daughters, we can extract crystals from the body using the power we received from you.
So it's possible that we can extract the black gem from a human's body without harm.
>I'll study like you, father! Because I am your daughter.
>I can do it!
>Michiru...

014
>Your enthusiasm for research...
because you are my princess.
>Truthfully speaking, I thought you were too doll-like for a daughter.
But now I feel you like a daughter.
You really are my precious daughter.
>Fa-father...!!!

015
>What's with this guy?
>He suddenly acting nice?
He said something father like and now Michiru's happy.
>But this is strange.
>What with his face?
>Is that the face you put when facing your precious daughter?
>He's coming!

016
>Kuh!
>Sorry!
>What?
>Goodbye, Michiru!

017
>What have you done to her?!
72
Chapter 72: Demon's Child

001
>Michiru!?
>What, she turned into obsidian the moment he raised his sword?!
>What have you done to Michiru?!

002
>I made her quiet!
She failed her mission.
Trying to buy my sympathy with her ugly tears.
>Buying your sympathy?!
>Father, please don't kill this man!

003
>You are my precious daughter.
>Father...
>You're wrong. Michiru...
>You call her your precious daughter. She was crying tears of joy. Yet you...
>Don't tell me.
>Did he kill her?
>Not to worry, I didn't kill her.
>You don't seem to know anything about Michiru.

004
>That obsidian is Michiru's true form.
>What do you mean?
>Michiru is not an ordinary human.
Michiru is...
>So to speak, a child of a demon.

005
>Child of a demon?!
>But you said you're his father.
>Does that mean you're a demon?
>No, I'm just a humble human.
Unfortunately, I know.
>That's why I created excellent offsprings that transcend humans.

006
>First, I inseminate a woman to create a fetus.
>That is a genuine child connected with me through blood.
>And then I implanted a fragment of Kitetsu and fused it with the fetus.
>What the hell?!
>As you know, kitetsu is a fallen fragment of a demon.
>My daughters are existence somewhere between humans and demons.

007
>As evidence, my daughters can use demon powers. Especially the ones fused with Orochigami's Kitetsu. Aren't they excellent?
>We have the blood of Yamata no Orochi running in our veins!
>The enemies with monster bottom half, those were his daughters?
>But their appearances are different than Michiru.
>Yes, Michiru was a defect.
>A defect?

008
>She was born with only the power of that of a human. Therefore she was one of the discarded daughters.
>I don't need an inferior daughter that can't do her job! Useless children hold no value.
>Don't say that!
>What do you mean useless? Are you saying she has no value to be alive...
>if she can't meet with her father's expectation?

009
>You're wrong.
>She's not a defect. She was scared to death over the thought that you would abandon her.
>Yet she still tried to protect me.
>She's brave, kind, and amazing. That's why...

010
>Don't throw her away.
You didn't kill her.
Doesn't that mean you're also lost about what to do?
>Hmm...
>Musume is a special daughter. She's the only one who can use Kitetsuto.
>Maybe I shouldn't discard her.
>Eh?!
>Then...

011
>I shall return her body to its original form.
>R-really?!
>Yes. Return, Michiru!!!

012
>Michiru!!!
>Thank goodness, you return back to normal.
>Musashi!

013
>Who are you?
>What?

014
>Michiru?
>Who're Michiru.
>That's your name.
>What's going on?
>I wiped out her entire memory.

015
>What do you mean?
>I only need her body that can use Kitetsuto. I emptied her head.
>From her experience meeting with other humans...
>To the emotions she obtained until now, I erased everything.
Right now she is nothing but a doll without a personality.

016
>Wh...
>Why...?
>Why?
>Because it's annoying.
>Children don't need personalities!
>A child should be nothing more than a loyal offshoot!

017
>This Michiru doesn't feel sad or happy or anything.
>Such foolish things...
>I shall erase them all!!!
>Yes, father. Kyahahaha!

018
>I absolutely won't forgive you!!!
73
Chapter 73: Memories of a Stone

001
>This is Demon God Yamata no Orochi? He's too powerful!!!

002
>Get to the underground bunker! We'll hold it back until then!
>That's no good.
You're weak for not being able to connect your Touki, you can't even protect yourself.
>You bastard!
>My condolences. I'll give you an easy way out.
>Kitetsuto technique, "Kinsou Shisshito" (Razor Wire)
>What is this thread!
>GYAAAA!!!
>Wire cut. You're supposed to faint from the shocking pain, but you managed to stay conscious.
>I see you got potential. What's your name?

004
>Kanetatsu Naoe.
>I'm Seiroku Inukawa.
I'll be taking your head.
>This is boring.
The Uesugi Bushi Band doesn't put so much of a resistance...

005
>My technique is almost out of time.
>Maybe I should go back to Awajishima.
>Aw man. Why can't anything exciting happen?
>Ooh.
>It's Yotsuwaribishi's crest.

006
>It's Takeda! A reinforcement from outside has arrived!!!
>Heh, they broke through the castle's barries. It's a pretty solid barrier, you know.
>That means someone has a powerful Kitetsuto enough to break the barrier!?
>Where's Tatsuomi?!
>If you're talking about Uesugi's head, I took it.
>Who are you?

007
>Shiro Inukai!
>And you are...?
>Naotora Takeda of the Takeda Bushi band.
>Haha, this is getting exciting!
>It's frustrating that Yataro had taken out my goddess.
Speaking of which, I wonder how he's doing?

009
>It's useless! You can't win against me. You don't have a kitetsuto!
>Just die, and the black goddess will be ours!
>Kitetsuto technique, "Otono Kuroigazuchi" (Big Black Thunder)

010
>Guack!

011
>I erased her memory.
>A child should be nothing more than a loyal offshoot!
>This Michiru doesn't feel happy nor sad.
>Such things, I shall erase them all!!!
>Like hell I'll lose to you!
>Go, father!
>Get him!
>Do your best, father!

012
>Michiru, she's become a different person. She's really forgotten everything.
Because of this bastard!
>I am my father's daughter.
>I am my father's daughter.
>I lo~ve my father!
>He's my everything!
>Shiro's technique is almost up.
>And so is your life.

013
>Damn it!
>Dieeee!!!

014
>Michiru...?
>Musashi...
>Huh?
>Who is that?

015
>Mi...
>How dare you! Looks like your body's memory still remains in you.
>Michiru, as long as you won't listen to my command...

016
>I will erase you.
again and again...
>Until you obey me!
>Yes,
Father!

017
>This is...?
>Inside the castle?
74
Chapter 74: Deserter

001
>Musashi!
>Are you awake?
>Where am I?

002
>We're at an emergency clinic.
>After yesterday's attack, the castle is full of wounded people.
>Yesterday?
>So one night passed since the attack?

003
>It's terrible.

004
>That's right. We were defeated in one fell swoop.
>I saw people and the town obliterated right before my eyes.
>It's the first time I've seen it. It was terrifying.
>Yamata no Orochi is that powerful.
>You're right.

005
>Uesugi Bushi band is done for.
>Lord Tatsuiomi is killed along with half of our Bushi elites.
We can't exterminate demon gods anymore.
>But the order to cancel the operation hasn't arrived.
But if we stay here, Orochi's head might come to attack us again!
>Those are Bushi from the branch family.
From the crest, I say they're from Shimazu.

006
>Let's getaway. Truth is, a secret order to return had been issued.
>For real?!
>And deserters never stop. Well, no wonder.
>Even our platoon, many people decided to leave.
>I see.
>I wonder what happened to mine?
>What do we do now?

007
>Musashi, Tsugumi. I want you to listen to me...
>Have you regained your consciousness, Musashi? (That's your name, right?)
>Ah!?
>Lord Naoe!

008
>Lord Kanetatsu!You'll open your wounds if you walk like that.
>Don't worry, I can stand up by myself.
>Huh, I think I've seen him before.
>What, is he some kind of a bigshot?
>Yeah, He's Uesugi Bushi Band's strongest Bushi.
>Even Lord Naoe...
>Aren't you injured?
>They did that while I was gone?
>Musashi, I came here to see you. I can't rally the Uesugi Bushi Band anymore.

009
>Please lend us your power!
>We need the power your Black Goddess...
>to defeat the demon god!
>The power of the black goddess?!

010
>He said he wanted to talk, but where is he taking us?
>He asked for our help.
>Still, what can I do?
>So they still want to fight the demon god? Talk about being reckless.
>Guys, back to our conversation earlier.

011
>If we want to get away now's the time!
>What do you mean, Kojiro?
>We joined the Uesugi Bushi band because of my selfish wish to find out about my father.
>For that reason I was willing to do anything, even demon god subjugation. But the tragedy yesterday, I've been reconsidering.
>I can't let you guys get killed!
>I think it's obvious but I still can't...
>Kojiro...
>he's exactly right.

012
>If you want to pull out, now's the time. You're outsiders.
>I don't know about your circumstances, but you're having second thoughts, you're allowed to leave.
>We won't force you to say and fight our battles.
>I won't despise you for it.
>You, what's that thing you're carrying?
>Oh, this?
>Just your typical laundry pole.
>A laundry pole?
>I get it. That's Musashi's kitetsuto, right?
>Eh? Ah!
>It really is!

013
>My kitetsuto!
>How did you get it?
>They stole it from the guards.
(During the commotion)
>Whoops, busted.
(I was confident in my thieving skill)
>Why did you do that?
>Why you ask?
>If you're getting executed, we were planning to broke you out and escape!

014
>They save you whenever you're in danger.
>Musashi, don't you got yourself some great comrades.
>Lord Naoe...
>But, to save my comrades...
>We have to attack the demon god and defeat enemy bushi.
>Enemy bushi?
>Do you mean, Michiru's father and that Bushi in black?
>Who exactly are those guys?
>Are you sure? Once you know about them...

015
>You will have to confront mighty enemies that have been covering the country for the past 150 years. There's no turning back.
>Are you sure you want to know?
>What should we do, Musashi?
>Should we run?
>Or should we run?
>We don't have options, do we?
>I...

016
>I don't care about Uesugi Bushi Band and their fight.
>That's what I thought.
>But that was before.
Now...
>I have a reason not to run away.
>So you see, Kojiro...

017
>I'm going. Not because you wanted it, so don't worry.
>Musashi...
is that so?
>Now I can't say I want to getaway.
As long as it's the boss's order.
>To know about the enemy bushi...
>To know about my father.
>We're going to step on a danger!
>Then go inside this room!
>Too bright!
>This is...?!

018
>Uesugi Bushi band's vault!
>The deepest part of the castle. Where those Kuroinus can't reach.
>Here lies the secret to the black goddess.
>Do you have the courage to know about the truth of our country?

There are also text translations of chapters 75 to the current chapters by someone called Aranami here:

Chapter 54

Damn, I was hoping to see more of Katsumi and Aikihiro fighting each other, since they both focused on Musashi in the previous chapters. Pretty brutal fight though, on top of the savage beatdown last chapter, Musashi lost a tooth and that panel of Aikihiro grabbing Katsumi’s coat and casually kicking his shit in.

Cool moment of Musashi putting aside his grievances to diffuse the situation and bring everyone together, probably would’ve worked with most people but Aikihiro appears to be a pretty skeptical person. Neat touch how the gag about Musashi reading the room (chapter 51) came back to place suspicion on him, that chapter even ended with Akihiro staring at Musashi. Aikihiro seems to have misread Musashi’s actions of nervously looking around the room to make a good first impression and diffusing the situation for the sake of those gun wielding Bushi as him being an opportunist trying to get ahead, but he’s not totally irrational since his remarks regarding Katsumi did appear to be true, the latter seemed relieved when the fight was stopped and he didn’t deny the accusations even internally like Musashi did.

Chapter 55

Quite the character introduction there, compared to the other two members of the Obsidian Brotherhood this guy seems to be working alongside the Demons and they apparently recognize this since they’re not attacking him. Kind of like the Demon followers from the mining towns, he also reveres the Kishin as a God like them. The other two members seemed to be religious individuals going off their attire so maybe there’s a link to the Demon followers in the mining towns and this villain group.

So that’s why the Kodama Demons that ate the Kosameda castle didn’t get any stronger, they sent the nutrients to their “parent”.

People’s past experiences shape their personality, so it’s cool to see how Musashi’s past in Tatsuyama influenced his view on blindly following orders. That being said I feel Aikihiro is more in the right here, discipline is important in the military and it wouldn’t do to have a conflict of interest during battle. Though at the same time if the leader is incompetent, then blindly following him would be disastrous as shown with Hideo. Ideally, there would be a nice middle ground between the two.

“Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.”

“If, however, you are indulgent, but unable to make your authority felt; kind-hearted, but unable to enforce your commands; and incapable, moreover, of quelling disorder: then your soldiers must be likened to spoilt children; they are useless for any practical purpose” - The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Wonder if there’s some foreshadowing with that butterfly being consumed by fire, since Michiru’s Tsuba and Bushidan emblem has a butterfly motif. Something similar happened in the ASoIaF books where a dead direwolf and its cubs foreshadowed the fate of the house that had a direwolf as its emblem.

Chapter 56

There seems to be a running gag of Musashi narrating parts of his journey, both chapters 1 and 18 had similar scenes to the beginning of this chapter. Musashi’s goal of becoming a Bushi was inspired in part thanks to the stories Jisai told him and Kojiro, so maybe this is setting up Musashi telling his story to another generation carrying on that theme of legacy.

Another running gag seems to be Demons suddenly appearing out of nowhere and catching people by surprise, I like that double page spread, how the Demon is drawn in this rough more chaotic style, really makes it look more intimidating.

Chapter 57

Cool reveal, I like how Naoe has two character designs representing his role as an administrative official and another for his role as a Bushi. His initial design even has his eyes obscured possibly alluding to this hidden side of him.

Naoe Kanetatsu seems to be a descendant of Naoe Kanetsugu and Naoe Kagetsuna, the former of which was one of Uesugi Kenshin's chief retainers, serving as his top councilor. Usami Kuroko seems to be a descendant of Usami Sadamitsu another samurai that served Uesugi Kenshin.

Same with how Sanada Aoshi and Yamamoto Shunrai seem to be descendants of Sanada Nobutsuna, Sanada Yukitaka and Yamamoto Kansuke, who were amongst Takeda Shigen’s Twenty Four Generals. Interesting to see the families that are still loyal to their clans through the generations.

Chapter 58

Amakasu Masaki, the Amakasu clan is another real clan from the Sengoku Jidai I believe they also served the Uesugi clan.

That fight scene was slick, lined them all up so he could mow them all down at once, cool choreography and great art. That full page spread showing the path Naoe cut through all those horns felt reminiscent to those impact frames used to make impacts more pronounced in anime. Similar to how Musashi’s mining background influenced his swordplay, it seems Naoe’s role as an accountant comes through in how he acts on the battlefield.

The scene also seems to follow some principles from the Book of Five Rings “A Stand against Many Opponents”

“The idea is that even if opponents come at you from all four sides, you chase them into one place.”

“Intent on herding opponents into a line, when they seem to be doubling up, sweep right in powerfully, not allowing a moment’s gap.”

It seems Naoe is being presented as a role model for Musashi, both of them are Red Bushi, Musashi failed to ease the fears of the citizens while Naoe was able to do it easily. Also that final panel is reminiscent of Musashi looking at the Takeda after they defeated Engoku Tengu and him watching Kojiro celebrating with other Bushi after slaying some Demons with his new sword.

Chapter 59

I think I may have an idea on why Ohtaka set this series during the Sengoku Jidai, a period where Japan was divided into various factions and had near constant civil war, which runs contrary to the theme of unity. Similar to how Vinland Saga tells a story about pacifism in Danelaw and focuses mostly on Vikings, people who are generally portrayed as violent savages. Setting a series in a period where the thematic through line is opposed by the setting itself, making it more challenging for the characters to achieve them.

This concept of people connecting together to fight the Demons seem similar to Itai Doshin from Buddhism.

https://nstmyoshinji.org/terminology/itai-doshin/

>Itai doshin means to be of the same mind, even though we are many in body. We all have different faces, characters, and talents. No one is the same. This is the meaning of “many in body.” When we all have the same goal and work together to achieve it, this signifies “same mind.”

>Our individual power is very small. However, when people who have different talents or characters move together with one mind toward achieving a single goal, they are able to produce tremendous power, and any hardship can be overcome. This is what we call itai doshin.

According to Sense Scans the “Isshin” in the Kanemaki Isshin Sword Style used by Musashi can be translated as one mind or one heart (chapter 1 translator notes). The official release translates it as whole mind.

This series has quite a few Buddhist concepts, there’s also the colours shared by both the Bushi and Demons, which seemed to be based on the Pancha-varna.

https://www.boland-dinkytoys.com/photos/qinghai/Color symbols in Buddhism.htm

Because both Bushi and Demons share these colours I think there may be some reincarnation in this series similar to the concept of Samsara in Buddhism. According to Sense Scans, Kishin can be translated as Wrathful God (chapter 1 translator notes). In Buddhism these Wrathful deities/Fierce deities are supposedly the embodiment of the negative karmas or emotions they help us confront and control.

It was stated in chapter 7 there are over a hundred Demon Gods, given all the elements of Buddhism in this series I think there may be 108 Demon Gods. The number 108 in Buddhism refers to the number of defilements that humanity possesses.


There’s also an event in Japan at the end of the year called Joya No Kane, a bell is chimed 108 times in Buddhist temples to finish the old year and welcome the new one. Each ring represents one of 108 earthly temptations a person must overcome to achieve Nirvana.

This whole Kishin hunting quest the Bushi undergo, always gave me the impression of some sort of pilgrimage, turns out there are Buddhist pilgrimages.

“SHIKOKU: How to Make the Shikoku Pilgrimage”

“The number 88 represents the number of evil passions identified by Buddhist doctrine, and ideally it is believed that one can get rid of all evil passions by visiting each of the 88 temples. In that sense, visiting even one temples is better than none. <Editor’s Note. Other Buddhist traditions say there are 108 basic desires, not 88 >”

The real Musashi also went on a pilgrimage known as a Musha shugyō/samurai warrior's quest which wasn’t just physical training, but also spiritual development such as trying to attain enlightenment. Funny enough in France the series is being published as Orient Samurai Quest, not sure if Ohtaka had any hand in that naming though.

I’m guessing this series is meant to be an allegory for reaching Enlightenment/Nirvana, Hi No Moto has effectively become a dystopia which coincides with one of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, that life is suffering. The second of the Four Noble Truths states that desires are the cause of this suffering, the Kishin (beings that embody desires) are the main cause behind this dystopian version of Hi No Moto and the suffering humans go through in Orient. Only by eliminating desires/Kishin can people reach Enlightenment/Nirvana and thus liberation.

I really like that Ohtaka doesn’t baby her characters, she doesn’t refrain from challenging them, having them get beaten down or having their ideologies be proven wrong, growth can only come about through adversity and it makes the moments when they do succeed that much more poignant.

Chapter 60

Katsumi is a pretty cool dude, going out of his way to console Musashi, he also has a very understandable motivation for joining this mission against the Kishin Orochi. Musashi, Akihiro and Katsumi started off pretty antagonistic to each other, but it seems to be building towards them eventually working together and respecting each other. Which would help bolster the theme of unity, where they started off on the wrong foot, but eventually put their differences aside in the face of a greater threat. With Musashi getting humbled and their reaction to him coming back in the last page, there seems to be some headway in that direction.

The Amago clan IRL was a branch clan to the Sasaki clan, one member of note amongst the Sasaki clan is Sasaki Kojiro. So I wonder if the Kojiro in this series has any relation to the Amako, especially since their reason for coming to meet the Uesugi was to find out about Jisai.

A nice bit of world building, they’re using scales to measure the amount of demon metal that each Bushi squad has acquired, between that and them sending scouts ahead to the island before they plan to attack, this army appears to be pretty organised especially compared to previous Bushidan.

Chapter 61

I like the battle system in this series being rooted in character philosophy and personality, all the different Japanese schools of swordsmanship are accompanied with their own philosophy, like Yagyu Shinkage Ryu’s Katsujinken meaning “the life giving sword”. Niten Ichi Ryu the school of swordsmanship created by the real Musashi, which translates to “the school of the strategy of two heavens as one”, even the techniques in said school follow that same trend Niten Ichi - "two heavens as one" or Nitō Ichi “two swords as one” so this would fit perfectly in this series given the theme of unity.

I wonder if Shirou’s ability to distort and warp space is the result of his warped personality, he does seem to be on a different wavelength than most people.

They referenced the Battles of Kawanakajima, a series of battles between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin the predecessors of these guys here. It’s pretty cool how since this series is a historical fantasy it gets to use real world history as apart of the lore of its setting, giving the world of this series tons of backstory without needing to spend time revealing it through exposition. Like the hostage diplomacy thing they talked about is something various Sengoku Clans did to gain loyalty with each other. Exchanging family members or having arranged marriages to act as a deterrent since any betrayal could endanger the lives of the hostages.

Michiru is a spy huh hopefully that makes her character more interesting, she has been pretty nothing so far, especially compared to Katsumi who came into the story much later.

Chapter 62

I find Michiru being so attached to Musashi kind of weird since they’ve barely spent any time together, I guess given her backstory of being one of many golems throwing aside by her father it sort of makes sense for her to get attached to anyone who gives her any positive attention, but she isn’t really portrayed as someone desperately craving affection, if she was then I imagine she’d jump at the chance to impress her father in this mission and not be so easily swayed by some random person she just met and barely knows.

Her father called her a failed product, what was he trying to create? An artificial Obsidian Goddess?

There are some parallels between Musashi and Michiru’s backstories with both of them being rejected by family members and being devoid of any meaningful human connections to the point they felt they didn’t exist. Maybe if they bonded over their similar circumstances, I could buy Michiru getting so attached.

Chapter 63

Michiru doesn’t appear to be quite bright, she didn’t realize connecting with Musashi would probably be a bad idea based on what her father said? In comparison, the Uesugi leader seems much more competent capturing Musashi to bait Michiru and monitor her movements leading to the location of her father. Apparently Michiru was already being investigated before she messed up here, kind of underwhelming that she is immediately uncovered after the plot point of her being a spy is revealed.

I believe this is the second time we’ve seen a Demon Metal Sword that can actually conjure a physical object (Naoe was able to create chains during his fight), until now it has been mostly energy lassoes or beams. Interested in seeing their full potential.

Chapter 64

That panel of all the Uesugi generals looks badass as hell, so far their Bushidan has the coolest character designs imo. Hope they all get a good showing like Naoe did in chapters 57 and 58.

Sengoku Daimyo often rewarded their subjects for exceptional performance during a battle, that’s how Toyotomi Hideyoshi rose through the ranks from a sandal bearer to the de facto leader of Japan. Seems like the main trio might be getting a floating castle, which would make travelling much easier, but I wonder if the castle will come with the caveat of the people receiving it having to become subordinate to the Uesugi.

So the Black Kishin is connected to the other Kishin, Orochi is one of the four Kishin that falls just under it in the hierarchy which explains the huge Bushi alliance that has gathered here to defeat it. Defeating it will both weaken the Black Kishin and decrease it in size, new areas of Japan might become available after it has been defeated.

Out of the two types of soldiers, the people who fight for a cause or a reward, Aikihiro seems to fall in the former category he seems to have an important goal that he needs to achieve, I wonder if he has a personal stake in the battle similar to Katsumi. Amusing how he’s just ignoring Michiru when in reality she is the spy, seems like Michiru will be found out as a spy next chapter, she’s going to have to be spurred into action instead of just hanging out in the background.

Chapter 65

Liked the visual storytelling of Musashi seeing his past self in Michiru, Musashi saving Michiru from that situation echoes how Jisai saved him from his abusive relatives.
Finally getting Demons that are capable of speaking human tongue, though it appears to be because they’re some sort of chimera-like being.

Nice shirahadori style disarm, I really like the panel layout of that page, the action flowed very well.

Chapter 66

Yataro’s philosophy on the nature of family is akin to survival of the fittest/natural selection, devouring the weak so the strong can survive, which seems to be the same way that Shirou consolidates his strength by killing other Bushi then taking their Demon Metal Swords as ”ingredients” and adding them to his own Demon Metal Sword. Assimilation of other beings rather than working alongside them.

That page of them eating their sibling was brutal, the fact that the sibling being devoured was perfectly fine with it was also pretty creepy.

Chapter 67

I looked up what Yataro said about cat’s eating their young and apparently that actually does happen and not just with cats, huh the more you know.

“Strange things can happen if it's a cat's first time or it's too young. Sometimes cats eat their kittens because they know something is wrong with the kitten and it won't survive (like a birth defect). If a kitten has some disease that's infectious they may eat it to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the litter.”

>Why Do Animals Eat Their Babies?

It’s nice that Yataro’s philosophy has some validity to it, there are also some parallels that fit with Musashi’s backstory which hampers his ability to rebut him.

Tatsuomi’s counter to Yataro’s philosophy is empowering his allies instead of taking all the Touki for himself, sort of like a military leader boosting morale in his troops. This battle is a nice example of what Katsumi said about Demon Metal Sword displaying their user’s philosophy. Given Yataro’s fascination with Orochi creating new life (chapter 55) I’m guessing his Demon Metal Sword is what helped him create these humanoid creatures. Also, we finally get some information on what the other Bushi colours do, seems the Yellow Bushi can buff their allies, as shown in that pretty sweet double page spread.

Chapter 68

A weakness in Yataro’s philosophy is that his offspring basically helped the enemy by diminishing their numbers, so the Uesugi could focus their attention on the two lone survivors.

The Touki link ability seems to be an allegory for human connections, similar to The World Ends with You, where the game’s battle mechanics are also a metaphor for the relationships the MC has with his partners. Fighting the enemy in that game is also impossible for one person, requiring the MC to work with other people to succeed. Musashi couldn’t get it to work with Katsumi, but with Kojiro for instance, that would probably have better results since they’re childhood friends.

Great cliffhanger with Shirou appearing out of nowhere, his spatial manipulation truly is a terrifying ability. It was also amusing how he appeared just as Tatsuomi was wondering how the enemy infiltrated the castle.

Chapter 69

Nice use of dramatic irony, you can see the tiny sound effects of Shirou attacking Tatsuomi and the people near him in page 276 compared to the larger sound effects of people cheering. Showing how the cheering is drowning out Shirou’s attack, it gives what should be a joyous celebration an ominous tone.

Takdea Shingen, Naotora’s predecessor was known to have Kagemusha (body doubles) and the Uesugi are currently allied with the Takeda and yet they haven’t made an appearance despite the situation, so I’m guessing Shirou killed off a body double, considering Tatsuomi thought about the possibility of spies in his army (chapter 61) it would make sense to deceive his subordinates as well. Though admittedly it would be a big task to find not only a look-alike but one who also shares the same colour soul, either way there’s no way Tatsuomi has been killed off already.

Pretty clever how the Black Dogs defeated them, attacking the leader after he relinquished that huge amount of Touki to buff his allies, which probably means him and the people around him are weakened. Followed by Shirou appearing before the rest of the army with their leader’s severed arm and sword, goading them into connecting together to kill him and then exploiting the weakness of their unity, infecting one unit and letting it spread out to the entire formation.

A new member of the Black Dogs, the same guy that appeared as a silhouette in chapter 65, nice character design between his “infection” technique and his mouth veil there seems to be a disease motif going on there.

Chapter 70

In chapter 68 it was established how the Uesugi’s greatest strength was the length of their sword link ability and in this chapter the Black Dogs have effectively turned their biggest strength into a weakness, since now the fact that a large number of their Bushi are able to synchronize with each other, means more members of their Bushidan have been affected by Seiroku’s ability.

Another crazy set piece from this series, one of Orochi’s heads appearing out of a portal in space and time towering over everything like some Kaiju monster. It’s also a pretty clever use of Shirou’s ability, completely taking everyone by surprise by summoning what normally would be an immobile threat right inside their base of operations. Yeah, these antagonists are pretty damn effective.

Chapter 71

”compass”
In chapter 43 one of the Obsidian Brotherhood members (2) mentioned how the Obsidian Goddess is a compass that points to the location of the Sacred Treasures. So apparently she’s not just a source of power, but also a tracking device similar to those kaleidoscope things that locate the Kishin.

Another instance of “Stomping a Sword” it’s also reminiscent of this “Oshi tome” technique from Katayama Hoki Ryu and this manoeuvre from Shibukawa Ichi-ryu except Musashi uses his feet to block the sword from leaving the sheath, nice bit of choreography showcasing Musashi’s skill.

[


5:36

Chapter 72

Shirou mentioned that he felt the Obsidian Goddess in Michiru, so maybe that’s because of the Obsidian material that’s apparently her true form. Her siblings were able to use Orochi’s abilities because they were made from its Demon Metal, so Michiru was probably made from the Obsidian Goddess’ crystals so that would explain why she can use a Demon Metal Sword and Shirou’s comment in chapter 70.

Yataro mentioned implanting Demon Metal into a fetus, I’m guessing something similar happened with the Obsidian Brotherhood except probably when they were already fully developed humans since Yataro still refers to himself as a human. Demon Metal seems to be applicable to everything in this universe; swords, vehicles, castles and now living creatures.

Love that fake out at the end there, Yataro formatting Michiru like a hard drive, pretty messed up.

Chapter 73

Really glad Yataro isn’t just a hate sink, whenever a character isn’t conventionally attractive that tends to be how the character ends up, a pathetic individual with barely any redeemable qualities like Charlos from One Piece or Shinji from the Fate series. Yataro has an interesting philosophy that opposes the Uesugi and the main characters, he kicked the MC’s ass and even looked pretty regal in chapter 70. The Black Dogs only have 8 members so it would be such a huge waste to have one just be a lame hate sink.

The ending scene reminds me of the beginning of the novel “Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa where Takezo(Musashi) was on the losing side of Sekigahara (a major battle in Japanese history), the novel starts with him laying on the ground defeated, surrounded by corpses. But yeah, these antagonists are no joke they seemingly decimated the alliance with just three of their members.

Chapter 74

Love those scenes in the beginning, the panels of people being treated in the infirmary or people being carried out on a stretcher and those burnt corpses, destroyed buildings, etc. Really helps sell how powerful the antagonists are, seeing how much damage they caused. So the Black Dogs have been around for 150 years as long as the Demons, apparently they don’t age.

Nice moments of consideration from Naoe and Kojiro, not wanting to force people to die fighting their battles, especially the former since most armies don’t take to kindly to deserters. I like how the topic of deserting is even being brought up as something to be considered, really shows you how bad the Black Dogs fucked over the Uesugi that this is even being discussed.
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Chapter 75

Naoe thinks the Uesugi leader is still alive, pretty good move by the Black Dogs if that’s the case since they can use him as a bargaining chip if the need arises.

That Kishin in the flashback looks like it might be inspired by the Tsuchigumo Yokai and Date Masamune makes another appearance (his eyepatch is on the right eye this time), I wasn’t expecting him to be the first Demon Metal Sword user, his clan isn’t listed amongst the strongest Bushidan so I wonder what happened to them.

Mixed feelings about this upcoming power up, funnily enough, it goes against one of the precepts that the real Musashi wrote about in his “Dokkodo” (The Way of Walking Alone) in which he wrote “Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.” this could be set up for character development later down the line, leading to Musashi wanting to rely on his own power. If that does happen, it will be interesting to see how that pans out, it would be kind of hard to make him not look irresponsible considering the stakes at play.

At any rate If he were able to use the Obsidian Goddess’s power to control all Demon Metal Swords then realistically the Black Dogs can’t do anything tohim since they also use Demon Metal Swords, so that’s probably not going to happen right now or he will obtain a much weaker version of that power.

Some pretty nice art here, this location looks cool with all those Buddhist statues and other decorations.

Chapter 76

There seems to be a growing trend of people getting stronger by ingesting substances, first metal, then other living beings and now drinking blood. The whole blood drinking thing also reminds me of the Last Supper, which also had a theme of unity.

So the stakes in this battle, are preventing Orochi from gaining enough sustenance to send back to the Black Kishin, otherwise it will become big enough to split the land mass of Japan in two. Not too different from the Kosameda Bushidan castle being destroyed, it could end up being a similar case since the stakes aren’t so impossibly high that failure is inconceivable, I mean the land mass of Japan has already been distorted by the Black Kishin. That being said I don’t see them losing this battle, the main characters haven’t had a huge win in the story so far, so they’re long overdue for one.

The Black Dogs apparently don’t attack Demons and instead side with them against other Bushi, in the novel Nanso Satomi Hakkenden the Eight Samurai Hounds are born as a result of a demon possessed dog and a woman so I wonder if something similar happened here to explain their allegiance.

Chapter 77

Supposedly poor parenting can be passed down through the generations, like if parents were neglected as a child, they’re likely to do the same with their own kids. While the other members of the Black Dogs are obviously not Yataro’s parents, I think something similar is happening here, where the rejection he receives from his siblings for being weak/useless is something he also does to Michiru possibly subconsciously.

Seiroku seems to fit with the Confucius virtue of brotherhood/brotherly affection, he’s almost always shown with his arms around his siblings. It also seemed like he was genuinely trying to console Yataro and even tried to lighten the situation when Shirou brought up Yataro’s stuttering. Yataro would probably embody filial piety based on his ability to create doting offspring that wait on him hand and foot. Similar to how Lust from FMA is portrayed as an object of lust rather than a lustful individual.

Nice the other spies apart from Michiru are still in play, judging by the display of the battlefield, it seems the old man is close to the Uesugi strategist. This chapter seems to be setting up rematches between these guys Shirou vs Naotora, Seiroku vs Naoe and Musashi vs Yataro. According to the Black Dogs, Naotora was a match for Shirou which explains why they seemingly withdrew instead of finishing off the Uesugi alliance.

Because the powerful members of the Uesugi clan can’t use their unification ability thanks to Seiroku, it makes sense why less experience people like the main characters are being put on the forefront. It also does a good job of heightening the tension.

Chapter 78

Really liking all the different personal stakes people have in this conflict, it’s not just about defeating the Kishin for some of these characters, for instance with Katsumi it’s also about reclaiming his home that has been taken over. I imagine lots of people have been displaced from their homes because of the Kishin, especially since the Black Kishin has overtaken a huge chunk of the country. There’s also Kojiro who wants to obtain information on his father from Uesugi Tatsuomi, Musashi wants to save Michiru, the Uesugi want to save their leader, even Akihiro seems to have some important objective and there’s even the castle that the Uesugi are rewarding to those that manage to take one of Orochi’s horns. Lots of moving parts in this conflict.

Wasn’t expecting Naotora to just leave the Uesugi out to dry, in chapter 61 they were theorizing about potential spies in the army so maybe he’s putting on an act. Interesting seeing these antagonists just chilling out and enjoying a meal, really helps to humanize them, showing they’re more than just an obstacle to the heroes.

Chapter 79

Glad to see the spy plotline didn’t end with Michiru, the others that were with her are still in the Uesugi army, interested to see how they are dealt with by the Uesugi since they had an idea about spies being among them and that was before they discovered Michiru since she wasn’t alone when she infiltrated they should be vigilant.

Nice tactics, sacrificing their ships in order to do damage to the enemy. During their previous encounter these Demons were able to easily destroy their ships so using that to their advantage was pretty nice. It’s also pretty cool that conventional weapons still have their place in some situation despite the Demon Metal Swords being the new normal.

This reminds me of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, where they set fire to the oil in order to remove it, creating a huge fire out on the ocean. It’s also quite similar to the tactic used by the Castilians in the Battle of La Rochelle during the Hundred Years' War, they sprayed oil on the decks of English ships then ignited it by shooting flaming arrows down.

This Spear and Shield ability of the Kishin, I’m guessing the Shield part of the manoeuvre is when it creates that mirror-like thing that reflects Touki blasts back at the attacker which we saw in a flashback (chapter 50). Would be pretty cool if Usami somehow got the Kishin to launch friendly fire on itself.

Chapter 80

Nice use of the terrain and the smoke from the fire to hide their movements. Swimming is also one of the Bugei jūhappan/18 fundamental skills used by the samurai, this one being Suijutsu/Suiren.

This Yura mountain that they have to destroy seems important to Katsumi, he looked pretty shocked when Usami said her plan was to destroy it. Also keeping with the idea that the Kishin are distorting this world, this Kishin has apparently changed the island so much that Katsumi whose clan lived here previously is commenting on how it’s different than before. Might be some commentary on climate change in there.

This chapter brings back the Kishin’s need to eat metal, just like when Engoku Tengu was pretty weak until he ate that offering. Seiroku actually seems to be a competent strategist and tactician, placing a guard on the route to the Kishin’s supply source.

Always liked how Ohtaka framed these large scale battles as a conversation between the leaders of the armies showing their thought process behind their tactics or conflicting ideals as shown with Mogamett and Scheherazade in the Reim vs Magnostadt battle.

Chapter 81

A bunch of centipedes wearing what appear to be top hats and even doing a hat tip, it’s nice that Ohtaka is injecting some personality into the Demons since they don’t appear to be capable of speech, this Demons seems to be based on the Ōmukade Yokai.

http://yokai.com/oomukade/

So Akihiro and his group were sent on a suicide mission, succession disputes often lead to infighting with different factions supporting their preferred candidate, in fact that’s how the Sengoku Jidai began. So sending unwanted heirs off on some nigh impossible mission would be a good way to discretely execute them, to avoid any future disputes within the clan. I believe chapter 52 alluded to this revelation with Katsumi’s remark to towards the Shimazu clan.

Good leadership by Usami sussing out Akihiro’s motivation and using it to judge if he was trustworthy for this mission, since he has a personal investment in defeating the Kishin, choosing his squad seems to have been a good call and if Akihiro ends up becoming the head of the Shimazu clan because of this battle then the Uesugi could gain strong allegiance with them since it was Usami that gave Akihiro the opportunity to obtain one of the Kishin’s horns.

Yeah, didn’t really seem like Naotora to just up and leave the Uesugi to die, it seems they’re manipulating the information that is getting sent to the Black Dogs to deceive them, make sense since they knew they were spies in the army (chapter 61). They’re also planning to invoke a divide and conquer tactic on the Black Dogs as well, which not only is a pretty good plan but fitting given the themes of this series.

“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”

“If his forces are united separate them” - The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Chapter 82

So the Takeda did fake puling out from the battle, nice tactic a bit of a risky plan though, since such a huge asset withdrawing from the battle could have dampened morale or caused other people to follow suit. But seeing how the Takeda army in this battle is pretty small (characters even comment on this in chapter 77) that probably avoided it from seeming like a big loss at the time.

Ohtaka has done a good job making the objectives clear, so it’s not just a bunch of aimless fighting we know what the heroes’ are striving to achieve, with each objective helping to make the next easier to manage.

Defeating/killing Seiroku to undo the effects of his ability on the Uesugi

Drain the Kishin’s food source to weaken it by destroying Yura mountain

Destroying the seven horns of Orochi to weaken the Black Kishin

What I find amusing about Shirou’s ability is how in some series featuring military campaigns like GoT, there’s sometimes an issue of characters “teleporting” whenever the writers need characters to get to a certain place to move the plot along, but in this series there’s a character that literally has that power showing how devastating that power would be in a military setting. It seems to undo the effects of a Demon Metal Sword you just need to disarm the person unless it’s a special case like Seiroku, there also seems to be a time limit so that would explain why Musashi was transported back in chapter 73. Either Naotora disarmed Shirou or time ran out.

Got to love how hyper competent these villains are, wonder how they’re going to destroy that mountain now.

Volume 7 had Musashi, Akihiro and Katsumi together paralleling volume 8 with the three members of the Black Dogs together. So a united front with those three and the other members of their squad might be able to hold their own against Shirou and still destroy that mountain. Hell in the last arc the Obsidian Goddess uniting all those Bushi was able to destroy a mountain.

Chapter 83

Nice fight choreography, Seiroku’s sword chipped from the stress of blocking and parrying Naoe’s huge ass sword, followed up by Naoe letting go of his sword and holding Seiroku’s blade in his left hand and applying pressure on the other side of the blade with his right hand. Always nice when Ohtaka inserts a tiny bit of realism in these fantastical fights.

I remember reading somewhere that stepping over a Samurai’s sword while it was placed on the ground was seen as bad etiquette, so stepping on the clan emblem is probably even worse, hell I imagine even outside of Japan most military not liking people stepping on their symbols. Most countries in the modern day don’t take kindly to disrespecting their flag like America for example.

Up until now these guys have seemed like the ultimate spies, they can shapeshift and telepathically communicate with their allies. But this is one area where a human spy or at least one raised like one would have an advantage over these artificial humans, they would have been privy to the subtle bits of etiquette and culture on how to conduct themselves compare to a homunculus who was created solely for this one role and supposedly has no life experience outside of it. Usami mentions Seiroku’s disrespect for their beliefs, I guessing that’s also a callback to Chapter 77 where Seiroku ruins Naoe’s tattoo because of his attachment to it.

Two of the three spies left have been caught, so there’s still one around. Chapter 78 showed there were three people with Michiru.

Chapter 84

I really appreciate how the battle system in this series allows a situation where one of the military generals of the Uesugi is fighting a main antagonist rather than the leader, in Magi the King Vessels were often the leaders and the strongest combatant in their group. Whereas here, even though their leader is captured, the Uesugi are able to fight without him with Usami leading the army and Naoe being the Uesugi’s strongest field combatant. It’s always nice to divvy up the roles so that everyone has a part to play.

That reinterpretation of the last pages of the previous chapter confused me a bit, I do prefer the fight choreography from the last chapter specifically Naoe holding Seiroku’s blade by the flat rather than grabbing the whole thing causing his hand to bleed. Though I like the addition of Seiroku stepping on Naoe’s sword.

So breaking a Demon Metal Sword is enough to undo its effects, that’s not good news for a certain character. Also Musashi’s Sword Killer technique (chapter 4) is probably going to be his most valued technique going forward. That action has shifted the tide of the battle greatly, such a great moment, like Gandalf returning with reinforcement durning the Battle of Helm’s Deep in the second LoTR movie.

Damn, I was looking forward to a brief Akihiro vs Shirou skirmish, it looks like the battles that chapter 77 set up are happening now, those vs pages are pretty cool. I like how in the Takeda vs Shirou page you can see the Takeda ships in the background in the top right with Bushi flying in to back up Naotora and Musashi’s group down below moving on ahead, conveying multiples things without the need for several panels.

Chapter 85

God, I love these war diagrams, in order for the Uesugi to get to Orochi they have to pass through the area where Naoe and Seiroku are fighting unless they plan to go around like the Takeda did.

Ah, it seems the old man went back to the base, so it does appear all the spies are gone. 3v3 against Musashi, Akihiro and Katsumi then? We saw a glimpse at how strong Black crystal users are united when Michiru linked together with Musashi or the Obsidian Goddess rather.

I like even though there’s no swordsmanship on display this chapter, it’s still using concepts like Maai which refers to the distance between two opponents using weapons. That might be the advantage that guns have over other melee weapons, having a longer range for those Touki blasts. It seems this concept was alluded to in chapter 61 when Katsumi explained Demon Metal Sword usage to Musashi. Getting into some of the technical aspects of Touki control, Seiroku has pretty weak Touki yet it has incredible far reaching range so he’s able to utilize it in this string-like form. While Naoe seems to lack reach, but makes up for it in pure power which fits with what was stated about Red Demons in chapter 50, that along with Usami’s green crystal cage ability in chapter 63 that was able to contain the power of the Black Wings seems to fit with the idea of Green Demon being defensive. So there does seem to be parallels between the colours that Bushi and Demons have.

Damn, that ending was brutal, nice use of visual story telling giving us a POV from Naoe’s perspective and then in the next page everything is black except for the dialogue and sound effects. That’s the thing about fights that don’t involve the main characters, the threat of death or grievous injuries becomes much more likely. One of the Takeda generals seems to be completely blind (he has a blindfold), so there does seem to be a way to fight without sight in this universe. So Naoe could actually be permanently blind, assuming that he has lost the use of his other eye behind the bandage as well. In the double page spread of Naoe’s attack, there’s a panel showing both his eyes in that naked form characters sometimes have when using Demon Metal Weapons, in chapter 5 one of the Takeda generals is seen in that state when absorbing Engoku Tengu and we get to see his damaged eye under his eye patch.

Chapter 86

So his eye bandage was fake, “Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War. It seems the bandages were also there to allow him to use some Hojojutsu on the enemy.

The Uesugi ships are heading in their direction, so they will have to pass through them in order to progress. I like how these one on one fights aren’t in a vacuum, there are still a part of the large scale battle and have a cause and effect that influences other parts of the battle like Naotora taking on Shirou allowed Musashi’s group to progress on ahead and Naoe breaking Seiroku’s sword allowing the rest of the Uesugi to gain their strength back and join the battle.

So the Naoe vs Seiroku fight could be on a time limit since if Seiroku isn’t defeated, he could probably use his ability on the Uesugi again and nullify their hard work or the Uesugi could help back up Naoe. This setup is a great way to build up tension.

Seiroku’s power seems to be Sense Manipulation which fits since he mentioned being a doctor, last chapter it was mentioned how his crystal colour is Yellow like the Uesugi’s leader. So where as Tatsuomi has the power to buff his allies, Seiroku has the ability to debuff his enemies with different ailments.

https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Sense_Manipulation


Chapter 87

The bandage Hojojutsu didn’t seem to amount to much unless it was just meant to buy time for the vanguard. Nice touch how in the initial panel showing the stabbing you can see Naoe’s hand under the other general’s armpit.

Brutal finish, chapter 85 made it clear that Naoe was the superior of the two when it came to raw power so as soon as Naoe was able to close the distance and land a blow it was over.

Other than people becoming stronger through solidarity via the power of the Demon Metal Swords, there also seems to be some emphasis on the symbiotic relationships people have or what happens when people lack them. The latter is seen with Musashi and Michiru who were both denied human connections for a period of time which had negative effects on them, to the point where they felt invisible to people around them, Musashi was only saved when he was adopted by Jisai. Tsugumi was able to finally gain the confidence to stand up to Hideo when she had Musashi and Kojiro to rely on. Similarly, Tatsuomi relies on Naoe’s strength so he can portray himself as a strong leader in front of his people.

Chapter 88

So they’re using the helicopter to get a status report on the battle, I was wondering how the people back in the castle knew what was going on out on the field.

It seems Kojiro’s group is being sent on a mission to rescue Tatsuomi so they might meet up with Musashi’s group since they’re heading to that same location as well to fight Yataro.

I don’t get the logic that the standard Bushi way of fighting together won’t work against Shirou because he’s not a Demon, he retreated during the fight with the Obsidian Goddess in chapter 39 and 40 and almost got killed by the Uesugi Bushidan in chapter 69. Both times because of the combined power of Bushi working together.

Apparently Naotora doesn’t like the Obsidian Goddess, wonder how that will affect his opinion of Musashi. He has also met Shirou before this, but the latter doesn’t remember him. Naotora seems more familiar with Shirou’s sword aura then Shirou himself since he didn’t mention it until he saw his aura.

Shirou’s Demon Metal Sword is named 無明 which seems to translate to Avidyā (ignorance) one of the three poisons of Buddhism along with attachment and aversion. These are the cause of all suffering in Saṃsāra and thus are depicted in the centre of the Wheel of Life (Bhavacakra). They are also a part of the 108 defilements, I just realized if the Kishins end up only going to 100 then the 8 members of the Black Dogs still make 108 enemies to defeat before attaining Unity Under Heaven.

Instantly encasing enemies in a body of water at the bottom of the sea, letting water pressure crush them, another showing of how powerful this ability is. Surprised Shirou went for the kill immediately, I know Naotora insulted the Obsidian Goddess, but previous chapters made it seem like he enjoyed fighting Naotora. Nice art depicting Shirou’s murderous intent.

Chapter 89

Love that page where you see Shirou and Naotora square off and as soon as the water droplet falls from the latter’s hand they clash, very chambara-esque. The panel depicting Shirou as a God because of his OP spatial manipulation ability was also pretty cool and there was a nice detail of Shirou cutting off a bit of Naotora’s hair with that upward swing.

So it seems the leaders of the two strongest Bushidan aren’t even Red or White crystal users, which are considered the rarest, I’ve seen some people that didn’t like the fact that Muasahi had Red crystals, probably thinking that because it’s rare that makes him too special, looks like too much stock was put into that mindset even more so because the series advocates collective power rather than individual power in the fights, speaking of which if the rest of the Takeda aren’t going to fight with Naotora shouldn’t they help the people going after Orochi or something?

Shirou having white crystals and Seiroku having Yellow despite being apart of the Obsidian Brotherhood and clearly having Black crystals like the ones in their chest, I theorized before that them all being Black crystals users may have been done artificially, it might be a similar situation to Musashi where he is a Red Bushi but because of the Obsidian Goddess inside him he’s also technically a Black Bushi. That would explain why Shirou and Seiroku’s abilities don’t line up with what the Obsidian Goddess said about Black Bushi, how they control gravity and Touki where as these two have spatial manipulation and sense manipulation powers respectively. The only gravity powers we’ve seen from Shirou is when he force pulled his sword back to him in chapter 39.

Chapter 90

Kojiro watching Naotora fighting Shirou and seeing he is also a Blue Bushi is quite similar to Musashi watching Naoe’s fight in chapter 58 who is a Red Bushi same as Musashi. Both Naoe and Naotora seem to be displayed as a goal for the two main characters to strive for.

Similarly, this explains why Aoshi respects Naotora so much, he got really annoyed when Musashi started mouthing off to Naotora in chapter 6. Since Naotora was able to become one of the strongest Bushi in Japan while being a supposedly ordinary Blue Bushi just like him. It’s interesting how both the leaders of the top 2 Bushidan were both dealt seemingly bad hands in their Sword trials and have different ways of dealing with it, Tatsuomi surrounds himself with powerful subordinates so he can appear strong in front of his people and Naotora chose to master his ability until he became a Demon God in human form and inspired the Blue Bushi in his group to do the same.

So Naotora and potentially all Blue Bushi can control calamities, there are like four tigers in that final page. I think I see Fire, Ice and Water/Wind? That explains how Naotora got out of Shirou’s water pocket in the last chapter, I wonder if it’s meant to invoke the Fūrinkazan "as swift as wind, as gentle as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakable as mountain." which Takeda Shingen took from Sun Tzu’s The Art of War.

Chapter 91

The narration seems to imply Naotora used something akin to nuclear fusion, there is even a panel depicting atoms and Naotora also states he didn’t want to use it in front of his clan, possibly alluding to nuclear fallout.

Blue Bushi despite the immense potential they have, it seems their Kishin-like abilities are still ineffectively against Demons apparently but against other humans they seem fair game. Kind of cruel irony that the strongest Bushi in the setting that isn’t a villain, can’t use the full extent of his powers against their main enemy. I guess there are indirect ways of using it, like the fire used against Orochi. Speaking of which, in the second page it shows the fire tiger coming from the lava that Shirou summoned, so Shirou ended up accidentally helping Naotora in defeating him.

Ohtaka is really good at depicting these feats of power, that whole mass of fire and water shrinking into Naotora’s hand instantly, his face being shadowed out and the focus on his hand, that rough drawing of Naotora that looks like he’s surging with power, good stuff.

Chapter 92

That black substance on Naotora seems reminiscent to the curse placed on Alibaba and Sinbad by Ithnan, also that time in chapter 32 where Musashi’s legs were turned black after almost becoming a black crystal. Maybe Shirou is trying to turn Naotora into material for his Demon Metal Sword. Like he tried to do with Musashi in the previous arc, after the power Naotora just displayed it would make sense. Or it could just be backlash from his nuke dagger though it appears to be on the opposite arm.

He destroyed Shirou’s Demon Metal Sword? Kinda doubt that, Shirou’s reaction would have been much more dejected or something since he’s basically a Demon Metal Sword Otaku and he seemed to favour that one.

So Musashi doesn’t want to rely on the Obsidian Goddess, that goes in line with what’s said in “Dokkodo” (The Way of Walking Alone) but when they were walking out of the crypt there was a reaction from the Demon Metal Swords there, so there might be some conflict between the OG and Musashi if she does appear again. The Obsidian Goddess has been called a compass so maybe the swords were just pointing to one of the Sacred Treasures.

The way Katsumi wears his sword has always seemed kind of weird to me considering his Iai based fighting style, the draw cut in Iai is possible thanks to the ease of drawing a sword from the hip. Where as drawing the sword from the back is widely considered impossible or at least very cumbersome. Until recently someone made a video showing a way of drawing from the back.

>SOLVED? Draw a SWORD from your BACK (with a normal sheath/scabbard)!

4:24-4:40

Curiously Katsumi draws his sword the same way (in this chapter at least), with the sword sheath on his left shoulder and drawing it with his opposite hand. There are old illustrations showing Samurai wearing swords on their back so maybe they did something akin to this.



That page of Katsumi killing that Demon was pretty cool, love the way Ohtaka uses silhouettes.

Chapter 93

The Amago and Shimazu are fighting separately in two groups instead of working together and Musashi is asked which group he wants to work with but we cut away before he can answer. He’ll probably answer saying he wants to work with all of them in a later chapter, it does seem to be building up to Musashi linking up with them, with him seeing how Bushi fight by working together in chapters 59 and 68 and his thoughts in the last chapter.

Yataro appears to be a dark parallel to Musashi, the same way Musashi is indebted to Jisai for “saving” his life and giving him a purpose, Yataro feels a similar gratitude to the Kishin for healing his disability and giving him a place in this world. They both also seem to have low self esteem and a drive to prove their worth, probably as a result of their past.

Yataro mentions being born into a warrior family, I didn’t notice it in the manga itself, but volume 8 shows that he has a topknot so that fits.

Naotora said in chapter 5 that they are people more interested in preserving the status quo than getting rid of all the Demons, so there may be quite a few people who have a place in this new world order that didn’t have one in the old world.

Chapter 94

This moment that showed Musashi researched the names of the Shimazu clan members, is similar to the scene where he asked to learn the names of the Amago clan members in chapter 78. He seems to be trying to widen his inner circle, it’s pretty easy to work together with people you’re close with like friends and family, but working with strangers especially difficult people (like the Shimazu) is more challenging, this arc seems to have been constructed to make Musashi come out of his comfort zone and work with different people. Since in order to defeat all the Demons it will require the cooperation of a great deal of people, it’s not something that can be done with just your close friends or by yourself. That’s why Naoe called Musashi weak when he got into an argument and was separated from his squadron in chapter 56.

After seeing Yataro’s children fused with those lesser demons I was wondering if we would see a fusion with a Kishin and that appears to be the case here, judging by all those halo things which Kishin all seem to have, as shown in the picture scroll in chapter 6, speaking of which the second to last page in that same chapter shows a silhouette of Agyou Ungyou which we see again in chapter 24. Now we know the Black Dogs don’t kill Demons and work along side them, I wonder if Agyou Ungyou will be reused later.

Chapter 95

Holy shit the art in this chapter was top tier, that page of the incinerated bodies and Katsumi’s horrified expression, the dark figure of Kishin Yataro surrounded by several of those floating swords towering over the Bushi, the panel before the final page building up to Musashi’s slash, good stuff.

Those giant floating swords are reminiscent of Nanao’s Demon Metal Weapon ability and also the Obsidian Goddess’ power with how he’s able to control all those sword remotely, which is probably because of the black crystals used in the fusion.

The first instance of someone interrupting the Demon Metal Sword linking amidst people trying to connect to each other and probably won’t be the last either. That is definitely the most glaring weakness the sword link ability has, so I’m interested to see how they deal with it. Wonder if they could use that reflective mirror to their advantage in that regard.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Bonus illustration card for Orient volume 10



Here are the past illustration cards
 
Last edited:

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Chapter 96

In chapter 85, the diagram of the battlefield only shows seven of Orochi’s heads, since Yataro was able to use that reflective mirror defence technique, just like his children were able to because they had Orochi’s blood, maybe that missing head is a part of this fusion, in this chapter we even see Yataro with serpent-like body parts. The Shimazu said they wanted to get one of Orochi’s horns after defeating Yataro so if my earlier point is true, that won’t be necessary since defeating Yatoro would kill two birds with one stone.

Kishin Yataro wielding those giant swords in his multiple hands is pretty sweet, the designs of the Demons in this series are fantastic.

The tactic used by Musashi here is similar to Covering fire/Suppressive fire, in which Musashi provides cover for the Shimazu in order for them to successfully achieve their Sword Link. This is normally done with guns so it would have been neat if the gun wielding Bushi were involved somehow. Katsumi said this is a rare thing because Demons are dumb, but apparently there are some that are smart enough to try interrupting Bushi sword linking, so there may be more intelligent Demons in the future not counting the Demons in this arc that were fused with humans.

Chapter 97

The Shimazu have taken notice of Musashi covering for them, it appears he’s starting to get in their good graces. Apparently camaraderie can be forged through battles, there seem to be quite a few accounts from veterans that fighting life and death battles together with people helps build friendships, there’s even a tv tropes page about this idea “Fire-Forged Friends”

I believe Natsuki (the one who got surrounded) is also the same person Aikihiro complained about in chapter 81, saying they were slowing the group down. So consistent characterization there, it’s also a nice touch that the “burden” amongst the Shimazu clan is the first among them to reanalyze their opinion of Musashi.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
@Samurai Rider how many chapters do you predict are left till this arc is over? (without spoiling anything)

I'm only sticking with Sensescans' translations for now and dont want to deal with the translations from the other group. I may even switch over to the official translations once they catch up lol

Edit: Ironically enough, the recent chapters that Sensescans had posted made me read the abysmal translations that covers up to volume 10 currently. The good thing is that Sensescans seems to aiming for 2 chapters a week as of now so that's nice to see they found a consistent schedule.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

 
Last edited:

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
@Tamil

The arc seems to be nearing its conclusion, so I guess maybe 15 or so chapters, depending on how long this next fight is.


Chapter 98

This chapter really puts it into perspective how big Orochi is compared to the humans. They’re pretty much ants compared to it, curious to see how the horn breaking is depicted.

That middle panel of the last page with the Shimazu clan (minus Akihiro), Amako clan, Musashi and the others all intermingled together is a nice contrast to a panel in chapter 94 where the Shimazu and Amako are separated in their own groups. The visual of the Group Circle dwarfing Akihiro’s Circle is also great.

Chapter 99

Tanegashima, another Sengoku Clan, it’s also the name of the island where the Portuguese first landed in Japan, for that reason it also ended up being one of the names for the guns they introduced to the Japanese.

It’s nice that the other members of the Shimazu are starting to get some more characterization, up until now the Shimazu and Amako clans have existed as collectives with their leaders Akihiro and Katsumi being their face. But the individual members are starting to have more of their personalities come across, to the point that it’s causing internal fracture. Fuyuie (the big guy) seems to be the most troubled by the division.

In chapter 98 there are panels showing Haruhisa checking up on his siblings after the battle, contrasting Akihiro’s indifference to Natsuki’s dire situation in chapter 97. So this conflict was inevitable.

Chapter 100

A nice bit of world building here, the Shimazu uses the Sword Test to decide the future leader of the Bushidan. The way people in this setting value Red Bushi is sort of like in sports, where physical traits like size and height can give people an advantage and make them a more valued player.

Which presents the conflict of a person’s desires/goals not aligning with their abilities/talents, Akihiro didn’t want to be a leader, instead wanting to follow his brother, but his red soul pushes him into that role. Even if the Shimazu didn’t decide the future head with that method, Red Bushi being the strongest in raw power naturally puts them in the leading role for the Sword Link formation against the Demons. Coincidentally enough, this concept appeared in a recent WSJ series called Phantom Seer.

Seems Akihiro wasn’t able to connect to his siblings, Katsumi mentioned that you have to be in sync to link up with people in chapter 96. So they’re going to need to solve their feuding before they can work together again.
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
https://kodanshacomics.com/series/orient/

Orient Volume 7 Release Date: October 27 2020
Orient Volume 8 Release Date: November 24 2020
Orient Volume 9 Release Date: December 15 2020
Orient Volume 10 Release Date: January
Orient Volume 11 Release Date: February

Looks like Kodansha USA will catch up to the Japanese release on February, hopefully then it gets a simulpub.

Chapter 101

Akihiro’s siblings mentioned how he’s becoming more like their father, the visuals convey this with the way the Shimazu leader grabbed both Akihiro and Haruhisa in that humiliating way, the same way Akihiro held both Musashi and Katsumi in chapter 54. Nice way of showing their father’s influence on him, sort of like how in the early chapters you’d get those side by side panels of Musashi and Jisai. Another instance of the theme of legacy is when someone mentions that Akihiro’s generation might be more impressive than his father’s one, reminds me of how Naotora said with confidence how he believes his generation will be the one to free Japan from the Demons (chapter 5) because of the lessons, ideas, techniques etc passed down from the previous generations.

That Demon the Shimazu were fighting seems based on the Gashadokuro Yokai. The artwork was great for this flashback, that scene of Haruhisa leaving after saying he really wanted the power of the red sword looked really cinematic. Also that awkward scene in the last chapter when the Sword Test revealed their colours, showing Haruhisa dazed with his siblings trying their best to console him.

Chapter 102

That panel of the Shimazu leader appearing behind Haruhisa seems to imply their father’s influence is also coming out through Haruhisa as well, he also seemed to have echoed the words of his father through a Freudian slip. This is similar to how in chapter 13 when Tsugumi was trying to summon up the courage to challenge Hideo, a shadow of him appeared and seemed to echo the negative thoughts she had about herself.

Akihiro still hasn’t warmed up to Musashi yet, in chapter 100 Musashi notices how as kids both of them look forward to being Bushi in the future, sort of as a way of remaining close to their family so maybe they can bond over that, also Musashi still has that pawn piece Akihiro threw away that represents that past desire.

Chapter 103

I like the way Ohtaka chose to depict Orochi’s mouth enclosing in on Akihiro, sort of like someone is painting over him with brush strokes.

Akihiro and Yataro have been devoured, the former might put the strongest member of the Shimazu platoon in jeopardy, the latter could mean that Orochi will be at full strength after getting access to all the metal/ore in Yataro, putting at risk the Bushi currently fighting it, great cliffhanger.

The Bushi fighting Orochi seem to be making no headway, so they might need Tatsuomi’s buff ability to end this, especially since Naoe can’t fight anymore.
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Chapter 104

Like that scene of Musashi urging Haruhisa into action, similar to Katsumi consoling Musashi previously in the arc. The camaraderie in the last page was also pretty neat, night and day compared to how this platoon was initially.

The pawn piece being used as proof that the old Akihiro was still there, was similar to how the Training Records that Kojiro found in chapter 1 proved that Musashi didn’t give up on his dream of being a Bushi. Given the theme of legacy, mementos will probably be a recurring thing like Kojiro’s regular sword and Tsugumi’s Demon Metal Weapons.

There’s a small line that implies the importance of formations in battle, so far in these Sword Links mostly the Bushi at the head of the link does the attacking, I hope we can get more instances of other Bushi in the link attacking along side the head or covering for them sort of like Musashi did in chapter 96.

It seems if Akihiro let his siblings form something akin to a perimeter defence to cover his blind spots he could have prevented this situation, but because he chose to keep them at arm's length they couldn’t help him, another example of the symbiotic relationship of humans conveyed through the battle system.

Chapter 105

Akihiro was seemingly able to bypass the barrier by hiding his malicious intent similar to how Usami was able to divert Orochi’s attention using the fire, these situations make the Kishin come across like machines with limited AI.

Nice finish, love that final page. Got pretty close there, quite literally snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

Chapter 106

Kinda disappointed with how unceremoniously all of Orochi’s horns were destroyed. That unique design with the multiple heads would’ve made for
interesting fight choreography. It also would have been a good way to show off the other Uesugi generals apart from Naoe and Usami who both got fights with Seiroku.

Also wished the two Bushi from the Tanegashima clan did more stuff apart from lending their aura, we didn’t get to see them use their guns. At least the battle doesn’t seem to be over yet, judging by that ominous ending.

Chapter 107

Michiru got turned into a sword just like her siblings in chapter 95, quite fitting that Yataro who sees his children as a means to an end, would turn his daughters into literal weapons. Yataro’s line about how a child must be subservient to their parents, sure does feel like a corrupted version of filial piety.

Yataro sporting another cool looking demon design, this one gives me Vasto Lorde Ichigo vibes.

Musashi still has Michiru’s sword from when he disarmed her in chapter 65 so if she dies here Musashi might place her sword along with the others who died in this battle in the Bushi memorial service.

The eight spoked wheel Dharmachakra (Wheel of the Law) symbol that appears on the sword is the same symbol that appears around Orochi on the picture scroll in chapter 49. The whole demon family tree circle appears in its entirety in the second to last page when that eye appears on the sword as well. I guess the former is meant to convey that the sword has obtained Orochi’s power and the latter might mean it’s connected to all the Kishin in the circle.

Chapter 108

Cool that Ohtaka brought back the concept of making people into ingredients for Demon Metal Swords as mentioned in the previous arc, I love the concept of people transforming into weapons for other people to wield like Soul Eater or the Magichange in Disgaea. But this is the only series I’ve come across that uses that trope in a more horrifying light. The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the Philosopher's Stone in FMA, speaking of which, this situation with Yataro and Michiru reminds me of the ordeal involving Shou Tucker and his daughter.

There’s a panel showing tears coming out of the eye on the sword before Musashi attacks Yataro, I’m guessing that’s meant to convey Michiru suffering in her current state, very nice visual storytelling.

Yataro wasn’t messing around when he said he will become the strongest in all creation, with this fake Obsidian Goddess power he’s probably even stronger than Shirou, Yataro’s siblings appear to have underestimated him. This also explains why Michiru’s appearance was reminiscent of the Obsidian Goddess.

Yataro mentions how he and Michiru are one and the same, so maybe him wielding her is similar to a Sword Link, meaning if the two aren’t completely in sync that might affect the performance of this new sword. There’s also the possibility of the sword getting overwhelmed and destroyed as happened to the sword used against Shirou in the last arc.

Chapter 109

Yataro mentioned wanting to kill Shirou and Seiroku, since all the Obsidian Siblings are connected by that Black Crystal in their chest, I guess that’s confirmation that they’re both still alive. So if somehow Yataro isn’t killed by the heroes I guess his other siblings might kill him instead because of those words, as I recall it was Yataro himself that mentioned the siblings are aware of what the others are doing because they share the same crystal in chapter 43. I always figured Shirou would be the first to think about killing other members of the Obsidian Brotherhood.
 

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
Hello, fellow Orient fans and fan of Ohtaka Shinobu sensei.

I would like to reread this manga eventually, but stopped it a long time back as I was concerned that the update scheudle will be irregular like it was when Magi was handling Sense Scans.

Can you let me know how often this manga is updated after the raw drops.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Hello, fellow Orient fans and fan of Ohtaka Shinobu sensei.

I would like to reread this manga eventually, but stopped it a long time back as I was concerned that the update scheudle will be irregular like it was when Magi was handling Sense Scans.

Can you let me know how often this manga is updated after the raw drops.
Honestly I wouldn't recommend reading Orient right now because of how inconsistent the translation schedule is. The translation schedule is more irregular than Magi. Sense Scans is on like chapter 79-80? and the raws are at like chapter 111 for reference. There's "amateur" translations for like volumes 8-10 but I wouldn't suggest you reading them.

I think checking back when an anime is announced is best as we'll probably see a more consistent schedule. Hoping a simulpub is announced or something as well. The official translations are going to pass Sense Scans this month anyway and will catch up with the raws quite soon.
 

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
Honestly I wouldn't recommend reading Orient right now because of how inconsistent the translation schedule is. The translation schedule is more irregular than Magi. Sense Scans is on like chapter 79-80? and the raws are at like chapter 111 for reference. There's "amateur" translations for like volumes 8-10 but I wouldn't suggest you reading them.

I think checking back when an anime is announced is best as we'll probably see a more consistent schedule. Hoping a simulpub is announced or something as well. The official translations are going to pass Sense Scans this month anyway and will catch up with the raws quite soon.
it is doing good enough for an anime adaption?
And where can I read it officially?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
it is doing good enough for an anime adaption?
And where can I read it officially?
I wouldn't say it's doing good enough to justify one but WSM/Kodansha gives out animes quite generously to series that survive long enough. We are already seeing series do worse than it get animes. Orient sales are near the bottom tier of the magazine but I would say it has a lot of potential to get a good boost with an anime and WSM brought Ohtaka for a reason so I can't see them not giving it an anime. It is going to be difficult to adapt especially when the most popular arc (the current arc) is basically a large scale war arc.

You can buy the volumes digitally, their release schedule is that they release a volume per month. Volume 10 is coming out in Jan 2021 and the JPN volumes are currently at volume 11
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hll

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Hello, fellow Orient fans and fan of Ohtaka Shinobu sensei.

I would like to reread this manga eventually, but stopped it a long time back as I was concerned that the update scheudle will be irregular like it was when Magi was handling Sense Scans.

Can you let me know how often this manga is updated after the raw drops.
Since you’re a fan, you might want to check this out, Ohtaka is doing the character designs for an anime series starting January 8th, it’s called Back Arrow.

Here are the characters revealed so far
https://back-arrow.com/character/

Directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass)
Written by Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare)
OST by Kohei Tanaka (One Piece, Gravity Rush, Sakura Wars, G Gundam)
OP by LiSA (Demon Slayer and Sword Art Online)
The MC’s power armour was designed by Hidetaka Tenjin (Macross)

Really impressive staff line up here, Studio VOLN doesn’t seem all that great though, the CGI scenes actually look more impressive than the 2D animation.



First look at the CGI power armour




Promotional Art







 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Since you’re a fan, you might want to check this out, Ohtaka is doing the character designs for an anime series starting January 8th, it’s called Back Arrow.

Here are the characters revealed so far
https://back-arrow.com/character/

Directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass)
Written by Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare)
OST by Kohei Tanaka (One Piece, Gravity Rush, Sakura Wars, G Gundam)
OP by LiSA (Demon Slayer and Sword Art Online)
The MC’s power armour was designed by Hidetaka Tenjin (Macross)

Really impressive staff line up here, Studio VOLN doesn’t seem all that great though, the CGI scenes actually look more impressive than the 2D animation.



First look at the CGI power armour




Promotional Art







I'm definitely going to watch this. In some ways it may help out Orient to land some impressive talents working on the show if Back Arrow does well.
 
Top