Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
I know the author can do whatever he wants and have the right to not say anything about One Piece reaching it's 1000th chapter, but I find it disrespectful that one person decided to not comment on One Piece's milestone.
I mean, that one mangaka might be the author of Agravity Boys, which is supposedly ending that same issue, so their message is probably a thank you message to the readers who supported them up until now, so... I don't think Oda will have a problem with that, to say the least ^^
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I know the author can do whatever he wants and have the right to not say anything about One Piece reaching it's 1000th chapter, but I find it disrespectful that one person decided to not comment on One Piece's milestone. Oda always congratulate other Mangakas even the smaller ones and is trying to help everyone have more exposure. :(
on the flip side though has an author ever not given some kind of "goodbye" when their series ends? Maybe it's a requirement or something, although weird he didn't say something like "I'm honoured to have been in the same magazine as Oda-sensei! Congrats on 1000 chapters and I hope you're still going strong when I return!"
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
what if it was mashle's mangaka, has he said anything serious in his author comments?
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I know the author can do whatever he wants and have the right to not say anything about One Piece reaching it's 1000th chapter, but I find it disrespectful that one person decided to not comment on One Piece's milestone. Oda always congratulate other Mangakas even the smaller ones and is trying to help everyone have more exposure. :(
Everyone has their own lives and their own business, if he didn't comment on it, that just means whatever he said was more important to him than one piece reaching 1000 chapters. Also pretty sure Oda doesn't always congratulate everyone.

He could do it elsewhere (like on twitter) at the end of the day it will just be 1 out of a maybe 100s (or 1000s) of other people who will be saying the same thing
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Kishimoto’s comment on MHA art
that's an interesting point
I remember Toriyama also said something about this when he was asked about the different between Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest characters design
he said he made Goku design simple because he didn't want to draw details every week, however DQ is just a videogame model/sprite which he doesn't have to draw so he can make them as complicated as he wanted

I wonder if this is the reason we don't get a lot scifi and steampunk in general, because drawing them is just too annoying to artists
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
that's an interesting point
I remember Toriyama also said something about this when he was asked about the different between Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest characters design
he said he made Goku design simple because he didn't want to draw details every week, however DQ is just a videogame model/sprite which he doesn't have to draw so he can make them as complicated as he wanted

I wonder if this is the reason we don't get a lot scifi and steampunk in general, because drawing them is just too annoying to artists
That’s.....actually a pretty good point. I think this applies to sci-fi as well? I’m probably wrong, but the most successful ones have a non-weekly schedule, if I recall.
 

Smilzyy

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Messages
91
Reaction score
1,006
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Daily Shoseki 12/26

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba 23
2. Kimetsu no Yaiba Gaiden
309. Phantom Seer 1
363. Ayakashi Triangle 2

3 9784088812120 鬼滅の刃 8 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.10.4
4 9784088813998 鬼滅の刃 11 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.6.4
5 9784088813554 鬼滅の刃 10 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.3.2
6 9784088812830 鬼滅の刃 9 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.12.4
7 9784088811932 鬼滅の刃 7 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.8.4
8 9784088810768 鬼滅の刃 6 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.5.2
9 9784088807553 鬼滅の刃 2 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.8.4
10 9784088807232 鬼滅の刃 1 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.6.3
11 9784088807959 鬼滅の刃 3 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.10.4
12 9784088810263 鬼滅の刃 5 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.3.3
13 9784088808260 鬼滅の刃 4 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.12.2
16 9784088823492 鬼滅の刃 21 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2020.7.3
17 9784088824246 鬼滅の刃 22 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2020.10.2
18 9784088822822 鬼滅の刃 20 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2020.5.13
21 9784088815404 鬼滅の刃 12 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.8.3
22 9784088818672 鬼滅の刃 16 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.7.4
24 9784088817996 鬼滅の刃 15 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.4.4
26 9784088820804 鬼滅の刃 17 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.10.4
27 9784088816951 鬼滅の刃 14 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.1.4
28 9784088816265 鬼滅の刃 13 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.11.2
31 9784088822044 鬼滅の刃 19 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2020.2.4
34 9784088821412 鬼滅の刃 18 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.12.4

25 9784088815169 呪術廻戦 1 集英社 芥見下々 2018.7.4
29 9784088820767 呪術廻戦 7 集英社 芥見下々 2019.10.4
30 9784088818764 呪術廻戦 6 集英社 芥見下々 2019.7.4
32 9784088816081 呪術廻戦 2 集英社 芥見下々 2018.9.4
33 9784088818283 呪術廻戦 5 集英社 芥見下々 2019.5.2
35 9784088816661 呪術廻戦 3 集英社 芥見下々 2018.12.4
37 9784088824291 呪術廻戦 13 集英社 芥見下々 2020.10.2
38 9784088817569 呪術廻戦 4 集英社 芥見下々 2019.3.4
39 9784088823812 呪術廻戦 12 集英社 芥見下々 2020.8.4
40 9784088816722 呪術廻戦 0巻 東京都立呪術高等専門学校 集英社 芥見下々 2018.12.4
43 9784088822181 呪術廻戦 9 集英社 芥見下々 2020.1.4
44 9784088822969 呪術廻戦 11 集英社 芥見下々 2020.6.4
45 9784088822747 呪術廻戦 10 集英社 芥見下々 2020.3.4
46 9784088821689 呪術廻戦 8 集英社 芥見下々 2020.1.4

58 9784088817804 チェンソーマン 1 集英社 藤本タツキ 2019.3.4
60 9784088818313 チェンソーマン 2 集英社 藤本タツキ 2019.5.2
61 9784088820163 チェンソーマン 3 集英社 藤本タツキ 2019.8.2
62 9784088824703 チェンソーマン 9 集英社 藤本タツキ 2020.11.4
63 9784088820750 チェンソーマン 4 集英社 藤本タツキ 2019.10.4
67 9784088821719 チェンソーマン 5 集英社 藤本タツキ 2020.1.4
69 9784088822242 チェンソーマン 6 集英社 藤本タツキ 2020.3.4
71 9784088823768 チェンソーマン 8 集英社 藤本タツキ 2020.8.4
73 9784088823287 チェンソーマン 7 集英社 藤本タツキ 2020.6.4

68 9784088823751 約束のネバーランド 20 集英社 出水ぽすか 2020.10.2
86 9784088810065 約束のネバーランド 2 集英社 出水ぽすか 2017.2.3
88 9784088810775 約束のネバーランド 3 集英社 出水ぽすか 2017.4.4
89 9784088808727 約束のネバーランド 1 集英社 出水ぽすか 2016.12.2
92 9784088811833 約束のネバーランド 4 集英社 出水ぽすか 2017.7.4
99 9784088812052 約束のネバーランド 5 集英社 出水ぽすか 2017.9.4
103 9784088824628 シークレットバイブル 約束のネバーランド 集英社 出水ぽすか 2020.12.4
105 9784088813844 約束のネバーランド 8 集英社 出水ぽすか 2018.4.4
106 9784088816920 約束のネバーランド 12 集英社 出水ぽすか 2019.1.4
107 9784088815343 約束のネバーランド 10 集英社 出水ぽすか 2018.8.3
111 9784088813233 約束のネバーランド 7 集英社 出水ぽすか 2018.1.4
116 9784088814957 約束のネバーランド 9 集英社 出水ぽすか 2018.6.4
120 9784088812786 約束のネバーランド 6 集英社 出水ぽすか 2017.11.2
122 9784088820170 約束のネバーランド 15 集英社 出水ぽすか 2019.8.2
123 9784088822235 約束のネバーランド 18 集英社 出水ぽすか 2020.3.4
124 9784088823270 約束のネバーランド 19 集英社 出水ぽすか 2020.7.3
125 9784088816227 約束のネバーランド 11 集英社 出水ぽすか 2018.11.2
127 9784088818610 約束のネバーランド 14 集英社 出水ぽすか 2019.6.4
135 9784088821702 約束のネバーランド 17 集英社 出水ぽすか 2020.1.4
136 9784088817545 約束のネバーランド 13 集英社 出水ぽすか 2019.3.4
138 9784088820774 約束のネバーランド 16 集英社 出水ぽすか 2019.10.4
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
With this many backlogs I am incline to believe it's the trickle down kimetsu effect, more people checking out other manga.
Even if it's not, let me believe :ttgl
I believe you. It can't be coincidence that so many other demon fighting manga are suddenly reviving.

Have series like Haikyu and WNL been rising too, or is it just the one genre?
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
I believe you. It can't be coincidence that so many other demon fighting manga are suddenly reviving.

Have series like Haikyu and WNL been rising too, or is it just the one genre?
Jujutsu has an anime running

CSM just ended its serialization and has anime announced

Neverland has a live action movie in theaters

It has nothing to do with demons being the enemies in the story. There is nothing remotely similar between these series premises.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I believe you. It can't be coincidence that so many other demon fighting manga are suddenly reviving.

Have series like Haikyu and WNL been rising too, or is it just the one genre?
The series that are increasing (I'm assuming you're talking about the 3 with backlogs above) were all popular/increasing before Kimetsu mania started and 2 of them have currently airing adaptations. If there was, say a demon slaying series that was declining before that is now increasing without any clear reason why would have been clearer evidence. Really hard to know if Kimetsu did (or didn't have) any positive effect on other series in the genre without a survey
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
Jujutsu has an anime running

CSM just ended its serialization and has anime announced

Neverland has a live action movie in theaters

It has nothing to do with demons being the enemies in the story. There is nothing remotely similar between these series premises.
What do you mean, nothing remotely similar? They are all series about humans trying to survive & fight back in a world threatened by demons. Sure, there are individual differences in story and tone, but they are still firmly the same genre.

But it's true we don't know (yet) if the demon elements made a difference. We will have to wait until a non-demon series makes the news and see if it also gets a boost.

And while we can't tell for sure if the boosts have anything to do with Kimetsu-fans, they do seem unusually large/common lately. I still think it's pretty likely they are at least partially due to new readers looking for the next popular thing.
 
Last edited:

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
What do you mean, nothing remotely similar? They are all series about humans trying to survive & fight back in a world threatened by demons. Sure, there are individual differences in story and tone, but they are still firmly the same genre.

But it's true we don't know (yet) if the demon elements made a difference. We will have to wait until a non-demon series makes the news and see if it also gets a boost.

We also can't tell for sure if the boosts have anything to do with Kimetsu-fans, but they do seem unusually large/common lately, don't they? I still think it's pretty likely they are at least partially due to new readers looking for the next popular thing.
Haikyuu also had a backlog boost after ending. Kingdom with the live action movie also sold enough backlog to surpass OP in 2020.

Obviously KnY introduced a lot more people to manga so that could increase sales for other series too. I just don't think demons have anything to do with it.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
Haikyuu also had a backlog boost after ending. Kingdom with the live action movie also sold enough backlog to surpass OP in 2020.

Obviously KnY introduced a lot more people to manga so that could increase sales for other series too. I just don't think demons have anything to do with it.
I'm wondering that myself. That's why I was asking about Haikyu and WNL (but I guess Haikyu isn't a good comparison since it didn't have any big announcements lately).

I actually hope it's not just demon series profiting from the Kimetsu craze. If it is, we're gonna be eating exorcist manga for breakfast, lunch and dinner for years to come. ~_~
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I'm wondering that myself. That's why I was asking about Haikyu and WNL (but I guess Haikyu isn't a good comparison since it didn't have any big announcements lately).

I actually hope it's not just demon series profiting from the Kimetsu craze. If it is, we're gonna be eating exorcist manga for breakfast, lunch and dinner for years to come. ~_~
If Kimetsu readers are going to read something afterwards, they will probably going for something new and popular, which Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw man fall under. So it is more likely that those 2 will get a boost since there are the "in thing now" and will benefit more from a crowd who are still new to the medium than Kimetsu readers going out of their way to find demon/exorcist series.

EDIT:Or I could be wrong and people are actually going to bookshops and forums asking for manga like Kimetsu and getting steered towards Jujutsu Kaisen. So it will be more that Jujutsu Kaisen is the most popular exorcist manga around in a time people are asking for recommendations after reading one
 
Last edited:

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
If Kimetsu readers are going to read something afterwards, they will probably going to be something new and popular, which Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw man fall under. So it is more likely that those 2 are the "in thing now" and will benefit more from a crowd who are still new to the medium than them going out of their way to find demon/exorcist series
Yeah, right now they could easily end up with other exorcist series even without looking for them. But I'm curious to see if, say, Spy x Family or WNL gets an anime announcement, would they jump on that too or would it be too different?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top