Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
Since you’re a fan, you might want to check this out, Ohtaka is doing the character designs for an anime series starting January 8th, it’s called Back Arrow.

Here are the characters revealed so far
https://back-arrow.com/character/

Directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass)
Written by Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare)
OST by Kohei Tanaka (One Piece, Gravity Rush, Sakura Wars, G Gundam)
OP by LiSA (Demon Slayer and Sword Art Online)
The MC’s power armour was designed by Hidetaka Tenjin (Macross)

Really impressive staff line up here, Studio VOLN doesn’t seem all that great though, the CGI scenes actually look more impressive than the 2D animation.



First look at the CGI power armour




Promotional Art







Looks good, will keep an eye on it.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Lets wait till it's officially announced
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Orient possibly getting an anime would be awesome, because it would further popularize this manga. It really deserves more popularity.

i guess rip Magi Season 3 then lol
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Cautiously optimistic about this, a good anime adaptation of Orient seems like it would be pretty difficult, the series has lots of intricate designs like the motorcycles, armours and Demons like Engoku Tengu or that Kodama Tsunami, I imagine trying to animate this would be a huge pain.




That’s on top of the fact that large scale battles in anime are already taxing, there’s definitely going to be lots of CGI. I can only hope the CGI is as good as the CGI in Back Arrow appears to be, utilising lots of traditional techniques like smears, squash and stretch, impact frames, mimicking rough and sketchy linework like that of Yoshimichi Kameda.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Cautiously optimistic about this, a good anime adaptation of Orient seems like it would be pretty difficult, the series has lots of intricate designs like the motorcycles, armours and Demons like Engoku Tengu or that Kodama Tsunami, I imagine trying to animate this would be a huge pain.




That’s on top of the fact that large scale battles in anime are already taxing, there’s definitely going to be lots of CGI. I can only hope the CGI is as good as the CGI in Back Arrow appears to be, utilising lots of traditional techniques like smears, squash and stretch, impact frames, mimicking rough and sketchy linework like that of Yoshimichi Kameda.
Exactly my thoughts, minus the CGI in Back Arrow lol. I don't think the CGI is bad but early to judge from a PV.

Honestly ufotable would be perfect for Orient. I think their digital team would be to perfectly able to capture the artstyle of Ohtaka in her color pages/volume covers and their CGI will help with the large scale battles/kishin.

I have a feeling that it's going to be studio 8-bit as they adapted Slime which was a hit and partnered up with Bandai recently with the intention of creating new hits. Slime being part of Kodansha, it may be a possibility.

Other studios that are possible is Bones, MAPPA, David Production (would be amazing if they got Shaft animators working on it and I don't think them working on Fire Force rules them out), Cloverworks/A1, VOLN (due to Back Arrow maybe) and Orange (since like you said its difficult to adapt so they're going to rely on CGI). I'm not sure how much they are going to adapt since we don't know when it's airing so they may or may not adapt Awaji Isalnd as it's concluding. If they don't adapt Awaji then I can see it being a 1 cour anime by like Bones. I'm also anticipating the worst with studio/staff selection so I hope all the best. It's sorta a missed opportunity if they don't adapt Awaji island with S1 IMO since that is the arc that expands the cast so much and it's well received.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


@Hll well there you go it got an anime
 
Last edited:

Hll

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
3,460
Reaction score
586
Gender
Male
Country
India
Damn son,Ohtaka has still got it
So now I have three manga I am following which got an anime
Record of Ragnarok, Orient and Chainsaw Man.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

i guess rip Magi Season 3 then lol
I am am Magi fan, and a hardcore one at that. But I think the anime covered the best parts of the story. The arcs after Magnostadt did not have the same amount of quality that the earlier arcs did. It had highpoints, like Alibaba and Aladdina vs Hakuryuu and Judar, and Sinbads boss battle when conquering the Sacred Palace, but in retrospect Ohtaka was obviously done after Alma Torran arc.

Let Magi be remembered at its highpoint.

Honestly ufotable would be perfect for Orient. I think their digital team would be to perfectly able to capture the artstyle of Ohtaka in her color pages/volume covers and their CGI will help with the large scale battles/kishin.
Ufotable, Orange, Mappa and even Wit.
But more than the studio, it is the passion which is important from the production company. Ufotables shows outside of Fate and Demon Slayer are quite hit and miss.Demon Slayer is largely popular due to the dedication of its production team. The director, head animator and the composer will be most important for this shows success.
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Exactly my thoughts, minus the CGI in Back Arrow lol. I don't think the CGI is bad but early to judge from a PV.

Honestly ufotable would be perfect for Orient. I think their digital team would be to perfectly able to capture the artstyle of Ohtaka in her color pages/volume covers and their CGI will help with the large scale battles/kishin.

I have a feeling that it's going to be studio 8-bit as they adapted Slime which was a hit and partnered up with Bandai recently with the intention of creating new hits. Slime being part of Kodansha, it may be a possibility.

Other studios that are possible is Bones, MAPPA, David Production (would be amazing if they got Shaft animators working on it and I don't think them working on Fire Force rules them out), Cloverworks/A1, VOLN (due to Back Arrow maybe) and Orange (since like you said its difficult to adapt so they're going to rely on CGI). I'm not sure how much they are going to adapt since we don't know when it's airing so they may or may not adapt Awaji Isalnd as it's concluding. If they don't adapt Awaji then I can see it being a 1 cour anime by like Bones. I'm also anticipating the worst with studio/staff selection so I hope all the best. It's sorta a missed opportunity if they don't adapt Awaji island with S1 IMO since that is the arc that expands the cast so much and it's well received.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


@Hll well there you go it got an anime
Stopping before the current arc would feel premature imo, the heroes don’t really get a major victory until the current arc. Naotora kill steals Musashi (though he didn’t even have a Demon Metal Sword, so he wouldn’t have been able to defeat Engoku Tengu anyway), the victory over Hideo was a pyrrhic one since their home got destroyed, Shirou and Nanao fled from the OG’s attack and escaped with the Kishin. The current arc is the first successful demon slaying operation, we follow from beginning to end with most of the knowledge of how the setting operates. Also the third most popular character in the series according to the recent poll Naoe Kanetatsu and the main antagonists the Obsidian Brotherhood (in full) don’t appear until the current arc. The final battle will probably end in the next couple chapters, but the post battle respite may take a while and that might be considered a different arc. So they could end the first season after the battle and have the aftermath with the battle rewards and info on Jisai at the start of the next season.

This still might need more than 2 cours since it’s pushing like 112 plus chapters (I believe Karakuri Circus recently had 3 cours) or maybe some double length episodes like the first episodes of Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works. This is apparently not that uncommon.


The battle of wits between Usami and Seiroku would be a good section for a double length episode imo, from chapter 79 to 84.

Bones is definitely my preferred option there, I agree with the common consensus that Bones are the best when it comes to action anime, Mob Psycho 100, FMAB , Soul Eater and Kekkai Sensen etc all have great animation especially MP 100. Orange seems to be the best studio in regards to CGI, so a collaboration between the two like they’re doing for the new Godzilla anime would be the dream. If I had the choice between a one cour anime by Bones or something longer by most other studios I would pick Bones easy.

I really hope it isn’t A-1 pictures again, I found the Magi adaptation to be mediocre, rushed pacing, weird changes like Dark Metal Vessal Alibaba, derpy looking artwork of scenes that looked awesome in the manga etc. Their work on the Seven Deadly Sins anime isn’t much better and they didn’t even return to do the third season which resulted in an even worse production. Not sure if this is true, but I heard A-1 dropped 7DS because the movie underperformed, if that’s true, maybe Kodansha might not go with them, neither Fire Force or Edens Zero was given to them despite them receiving both Fairy Tail and Seven Deadly Sins before.
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I am am Magi fan, and a hardcore one at that. But I think the anime covered the best parts of the story. The arcs after Magnostadt did not have the same amount of quality that the earlier arcs did. It had highpoints, like Alibaba and Aladdina vs Hakuryuu and Judar, and Sinbads boss battle when conquering the Sacred Palace, but in retrospect Ohtaka was obviously done after Alma Torran arc.

Let Magi be remembered at its highpoint.
Fair enough :hmmand i see what your saying, i myself am a crazy hardcore Magi (manga) and Ohtaka fan, probably to a fault
But i would disagree with you on the arcs after Magnostadt.
IMO Magnostadt is definitely the best arc in the series, nothing was better earlier, and nothing was overall better afterwards, but despite that the two following arcs Alma Torran and Kou Empire were really amazing (better than the arcs before Magnostadt i would say). To the point that when im talking about Magi at its best im talking (in a very cringy way) about the "Big 3" story arcs of the series which are Magno, Alma and Kou. So its kinda a shame that they only adapted Magno.

Having said that, on the other hand im with you on ending the A-1 anime, since i didnt particularly love it. Some cuts and changes were truly bad for me, nonsensical and absurd and the artwork could not compare to Ohtaka's art, and her art in the Final arc went crazy lol.
Which brings me to everyones concern; While im happy that there will be an anime adaptation for Orient, primarily since im an Ohtaka fanboy and i want Orient to get more popular, I really worry about the anime adaptation since Ohtaka's art only got more abstract and crazy ever since the Final arc of Magi. I really dont know which studio would be the best :hmmI do hope that A-1 doesnt touch it since they did Magi dirty.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Orient anime announcement PV
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

What does this mean?
This explains it for you & many of us. She had difficulties completing manuscripts weekly and that would explain the amount of hiatuses we had thus far
--- Double Post Merged, ---



Btw did any of you guys figure out the VA's in the Orient PV? Here's what I got:

Musashi - sounds like Deku/Narancia from MHA/Vento Aureo
Kojiro - Kaito Ishikawa (Kageyama from Haikyuu!!)
Takeda - Yuuchi Nakamura (Gojou from JJK)
Shiro - ??? (sounds so familiar yet I'm stuck on it)
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
So from my understanding, cuz of the difficulties Ohtaka had with the manuscripts, she transferred to monthly Bessatsu.
That would mean that Orient became monthly now. Am I getting this right?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
So from my understanding, cuz of the difficulties Ohtaka had with the manuscripts, she transferred to monthly Bessatsu.
That would mean that Orient became monthly now. Am I getting this right?
That's correct
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Thats a shame (the fan in me screams), but if it helps Ohtaka with her workload its fine i think.
But the question is then, will the monthly chapter releases have double or even triple the content or will the chapters have regular weekly amount. I would really hope for the former, but we will have to see i guess.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Thats a shame (the fan in me screams), but if it helps Ohtaka with her workload its fine i think.
But the question is then, will the monthly chapter releases have double or even triple the content or will the chapters have regular weekly amount. I would really hope for the former, but we will have to see i guess.
I'd argue it's a win-win situation. It won't be as difficult for Ohtaka to hand in the manuscripts on time so that's good for her. I would assume a monthly schedule will allow her to plan out the series more and also possibly see an improvement in the art in the long run. Let's see how she adapts to the monthly schedule but I'm confident the quality of the manga will improve from here on. It felt like she did struggle with planning out Orient, especially with the earlier arcs and to some extent this current arc so this change to a monthly schedule is very much needed imo.

Monthly chapters are longer in length so we will have to see. The monthly manga I read have at least page lengths in the high 20s to low-high 40s so it varies from chapter to chapter but not too much (expect around 30+ pages on average).
 
Last edited:

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Well, volume 10 has been out for a while now, but there’s no release date for volume 11 nor any news of a simulpub. Even the sequel to the Seven Deadly Sins, the Four Knights of the Apocalypse, which came out recently didn’t get a simulpub for some reason.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Orient on the cover of Bessatsu March Issue. (Orient transferred to monthly Bessatsu)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Also color page
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Well, volume 10 has been out for a while now, but there’s no release date for volume 11 nor any news of a simulpub. Even the sequel to the Seven Deadly Sins, the Four Knights of the Apocalypse, which came out recently didn’t get a simulpub for some reason.
Looking at the release dates, my guess is that the simulpub for volume 11 will come out sometime this month, since for volume 10 it was officially out on January 19th.
Also color page
Pretty cool visuals. That spread would make a pretty cool wallpaper if it were a cleared image :xp
Awaji Island arc was quite an arc. Had weird moments, but pretty cool with some really dope moments as well.
Very eager to see where the story is heading next.
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Release date for volume 11: April 20 2021

With Attack on Titan ending that month, it would be a good time to give Orient a simulpub, but we’ll see I guess.
 
Top