Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
about PS
from what I've seen, the general consensus in both jp and the west is the series is being carried by the art
if it get axed but Kento Matsuura comesback quickly, would that be such a bad thing?
The art is one thing, but the story is another. Personally, I enjoy the story’s progression so far, and it flows well compared to other mangas I’ve read before in Jump. It’s not as frenetically paced as newer mangas, nor is it too slow or stay around in the same place too long.

Matsuura might not be able to find a better partner than he has right now. I can’t say that for sure either, but I like Matsuura’s situation right now.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,335
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It is a bit odd to see Phantom Seer still right at the bottom of the ToC, it's an odd series where the first chapter seemed to get a strong response online with the PV having very high views, and now v1 has sold fairly well too, but I guess nobody cares for it enough to vote for it in the polls or something. I guess that's just what can happen when a series has good art but weak story and characters? People maybe buy the volume to enjoy the art, but don't care about it enough otherwise to vote for it.

It's hard to imagine it sticking around especially long at this point since the series isn't doing anything different which could help it's ToC positions. Maybe it'll outlast Dolphin if that can't grow, but if next round has 3 series I think it'll be gone unless it can somehow manage to grow well in v2.

Any info on if Blood Oath ends this issue or not? It certainly didn't feel like it had just one chapter left last week.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
I’ll admit the main thing that draws me to Phantom Seer is Matsuura’s art, it’s so damn nice to the eye
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
An interesting TOC for sure. Me & Roboco getting a colour page likely for its second volume is expected, but I'm glad! Also Magu-chan at 5th this week is very good, wondering if/when the sales will affect it's position in the magazine.

Sakamoto Days debuting at 6th is pretty decent, meanwhile Build King is already in the bottom 5? I don't think it's very good so on one hand I'm not actually shocked but I'm surprised it's not being pushed even if it didn't have a great first reception like they promised it had... Let's see how it fairs now and especially once the first volume is out. As for Phantom Seer... damn. Despite its sales I don't see it having the best life unless something miraculous happens.

Here's a graph to visualise the TOC rankings so far this year - now that Our Blood Oath is presumably gone the bottom three is very clearly Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, Phantom Seer, and High School Family. Unless Build King continues to fall those look likely to be next on the chopping block when another serialisation round starts at around #16-18. Since we'll have quite a few non-ranked series for a while now I'm sure we'll see a couple series dip in the bottom five from time to time (Build King, Undead Unlock and Ayakashi Triangle being likely candidates).

 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
An interesting TOC for sure. Me & Roboco getting a colour page likely for its second volume is expected, but I'm glad! Also Magu-chan at 5th this week is very good, wondering if/when the sales will affect it's position in the magazine.

Sakamoto Days debuting at 6th is pretty decent, meanwhile Build King is already in the bottom 5? I don't think it's very good so on one hand I'm not actually shocked but I'm surprised it's not being pushed even if it didn't have a great first reception like they promised it had... Let's see how it fairs now and especially once the first volume is out. As for Phantom Seer... damn. Despite its sales I don't see it having the best life unless something miraculous happens.

Here's a graph to visualise the TOC rankings so far this year - now that Our Blood Oath is presumably gone the bottom three is very clearly Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, Phantom Seer, and High School Family. Unless Build King continues to fall those look likely to be next on the chopping block when another serialisation round starts at around #16-18. Since we'll have quite a few non-ranked series for a while now I'm sure we'll see a couple series dip in the bottom five from time to time (Build King, Undead Unlock and Ayakashi Triangle being likely candidates).

Wouldn't it be better to wait for sales of the 2nd volume to say that phantom seer will be canceled?

The manga sold very well, and honestly I think the volume sales are more important than the positions at TOC.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I read MHA was absent 8 weeks ago
which means Sakamoto is actually top 5

I’ll admit the main thing that draws me to Phantom Seer is Matsuura’s art, it’s so damn nice to the eye
I remember when Tokyo Shinobi Squad was starting and in the author comments both Act Age duo and iirc Jimoto author praised his art
which I haven't seen anyone do for a newcomer

he can be the next Murata if they could just find him the right writer
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I read MHA was absent 8 weeks ago
which means Sakamoto is actually top 5



I remember when Tokyo Shinobi Squad was starting and in the author comments both Act Age duo and iirc Jimoto author praised his art
which I haven't seen anyone do for a newcomer

he can be the next Murata if they could just find him the right writer
I thought the whole “TOC represents results from 8 weeks ago” Thing was debunked
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Wouldn't it be better to wait for sales of the 2nd volume to say that phantom seer will be canceled?

The manga sold very well, and honestly I think the volume sales are more important than the positions at TOC.
We'll have Phantom Seer's 2nd volume sales by the time the next round of serialisations/cancellations comes so we'll have a good idea of its chances by then. If its rankings stay poor and there's only two new series then it might still survive, but things need to improve eventually for it to survive in the long run.

I read MHA was absent 8 weeks ago
which means Sakamoto is actually top 5
Is this method of tracking the TOC still used/accepted?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I thought the whole “TOC represents results from 8 weeks ago” Thing was debunked
I’m pretty sure the 8 chapter thing doesn’t count for breaks. So if this issue of MHA is #298, then the chapter that would be ranked is #290, regardless of any breaks in between. Which makes perfect sense for it to take the top spot this week since that one out-trended the freaking U.S. Election at one point.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
I’m pretty sure the 8 chapter thing doesn’t count for breaks. So if this issue of MHA is #298, then the chapter that would be ranked is #290, regardless of any breaks in between. Which makes perfect sense for it to take the top spot this week since that one out-trended the freaking U.S. Election at one point.
Wouldn't it be #291 that's ranked then? Because when chapter 8 of a series gets released, chapter 1 gets ranked. So there's only a 7 chapter gap. I think it just gets confused sometimes because chapter 8 is the first time a series gets ranked.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,335
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The other thing to potentially keep in mind for Phantom Seer is that it probably won't get any benefits for variety, since they still have a bunch of big battle shounen hits ongoing as well as multiple promising upcoming ones already. Unlike something like Magu-chan which could get kept around despite selling less (as long as it still places well), since they don't have a large line-up of hits and promising newcomers among the gag series or slice of life.

I’m pretty sure the 8 chapter thing doesn’t count for breaks. So if this issue of MHA is #298, then the chapter that would be ranked is #290, regardless of any breaks in between.
That doesn't really make any sense because the polls are done for each whole issue of WSJ. It wouldn't make sense to compare Sakamoto Days' performance in the poll for issue #51 to MHA's performance in the poll from #50.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
We'll have Phantom Seer's 2nd volume sales by the time the next round of serialisations/cancellations comes so we'll have a good idea of its chances by then. If its rankings stay poor and there's only two new series then it might still survive, but things need to improve eventually for it to survive in the long run.
But we are saying that Phantom seer is "bad", just because of TOC, but we saw last year that TOC does not fully reflect the reality of the series.

And seeing how there were so many complaints about the lack of stock of the 1st volume of phantom seer, I believe that the 2nd volume will have better sales.


 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I thought the whole “TOC represents results from 8 weeks ago” Thing was debunked
it was always a fan theory and never confirmed
unless I missed something I don't remember anyone debunking

Is this method of tracking the TOC still used/accepted?
am I living under a rock or something?
is there any other theories?
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
The other thing to potentially keep in mind for Phantom Seer is that it probably won't get any benefits for variety, since they still have a bunch of big battle shounen hits ongoing as well as multiple promising upcoming ones already. Unlike something like Magu-chan which could get kept around despite selling less (as long as it still places well), since they don't have a large line-up of hits and promising newcomers among the gag series or slice of life.
If it were an underground magazine you could even use that statement. But WSJ is the best selling magazine in Japan, what matters most is profit, and Phantom seer makes more money than magu chan.
 

Magister Xehanort

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
334
Reaction score
1,337
Age
32
Country
Brazil
I thought the whole “TOC represents results from 8 weeks ago” Thing was debunked
And it was. Several times it has been posted on this thread that the positions are chosen by the editors and not just by votes.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I get that the editors choose the order of series
no one is saying it's 1:1 poll results

but their placements is indicative of the reception
good reception = magazine beginning
bad reception = magazine end

that's also confirmed and not a theory

I'm talking about the 8 weeks theory
where was it debunked?
 

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
Interesting TOC, but they should really start pushing Phantom Seer. Either way, I don't think PS is in danger as long as it continues to sell well next volume even with a low TOC.

Next probable axes are probably gonna be dolphin, Magu (even with its high toc, sales matter more and stable doesn't cut it but I think they might give it a v3 chance), and HSF if it flops.

If Nak axes PS before any of those, he would be extremely dumb to do so with the great start it had. I don't expect him to axe it, but we will see.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
I think the TOC rankings are more indicative of editor meddling than they used to be.

Undead always seems to rank in the bottom half when it always gets great reception and fanfare every week.

World Trigger when it was running was said to have gotten first place in fan letters but editors always placed it around the middle to promote other series.

Hinomaru was probably the first public instance of editor favoritism no matter how good I thought the series was. It was fortunate to last as long as it did with practically no growth in sales from the first volume.

This is why I don’t take the TOC as serious as I used to, but damn does it still hurt to see Phantom always place in the back. If the second volume can show some growth then no reason to cancel it over other under-performers. Show some balls and promote it Nak!
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
I think the TOC rankings are more indicative of editor meddling than they used to be.

Undead always seems to rank in the bottom half when it always gets great reception and fanfare every week.

World Trigger when it was running was said to have gotten first place in fan letters but editors always placed it around the middle to promote other series.

Hinomaru was probably the first public instance of editor favoritism no matter how good I thought the series was. It was fortunate to last as long as it did with practically no growth in sales from the first volume.

This is why I don’t take the TOC as serious as I used to, but damn does it still hurt to see Phantom always place in the back. If the second volume can show some growth then no reason to cancel it over other under-performers. Show some balls and promote it Nak!
This is kinda blindsiding surveys, who's to say Hinomaru didn't get high survey scores or undead gets subpar ones
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top