Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
^ https://www.otaquest.com/david-and-goliath-hiroyuki-nakano-takekawa-shingo-interview/ looks like a translation of that interview

Quote from it
"
This isn’t the case in reality, however. Nakano described the surveys during the interview as more of a “tool” for gathering “differing opinions” from those of the editorial team, which then inform the decisions they make about a series. Other factors, such as the target demographic and collected volume sales, also enter into the picture.

Looking only to the surveys can, in many cases, confuse fans as to the current state of Weekly Shonen Jump. Seeing such series as Chainsaw Man and Jimoto ga Japan so low in the rankings but continue to be serialized can be perplexing, but can be explained when other factors, such as the younger demographic for Jimoto and volume sales for Chainsaw, are considered.
"
Yeah. There seems to be different factors for the survival of a manga.

It is also interesting they confirm the TOC reflect the surveyw at some level, since there wouldn't be other way that people could "know" about the surveys.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I don't see PS as an axe candidate whatsoever regardless or ToC as of now, the series had the 2nd best debut among non-vets from last year and by quite a margin. Even considering it right now is just ridicolous imho, unless it flatlines or starts dropping it's not dying anytime soon.

I don't think Ayakashi Triangle will be the next RxL, since Yabuki seems to already have a strong consistent fanbase built up through multiple series (while RxL was probably more like people buying the hot new thing then realising they just like Kuroko, not the author). I think sales will probably flatten out with that consistent long-term fanbase rather than keep dropping like RxL did.



Ghost Writer sold better than Moriking, probably double over all (still only around 5-6k of course, but a jump up nonetheless). Though I suppose it was already mid-cancellation by the time volumes came out. Spring Weapon by the same mangaka outlasted a whole bunch of higher sellers I think throughout 2017 and early 2018.

Also in 2020, Samurai 8 was still outselling every newer series by a good bit when it ended. Sure it had majorly underperformed, but it did appear to be stabilising and I feel like any other magazine probably would've kept it going (since below expectations for Naruto's creator still meant good sales compared to other new series).
S8 was never stabilizing or even close to it.

Volume 1&2 released together with an estimated monthly of 38k and 34k respectively, volume 3 then got 26k, then volume 4 dropped again to 21k.

By volume 4 it couldn't even compete with yoza and with opposite trend lol. Volume sales were most certainly a reason to axe it, especially given the marketing it received to even achieve those mediocre initial sales.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I saw this somewhere else and the translation says volume sales for Chainsaw man

oops, that's the one I read too, guess I misremembered
sorry

looking through the Japanese one, he didn't give examples, in the survey question Otaquest just added them from the follow up questions about demography and decision on what to serialize
he was talking about Jimoto in the context of younger demographic
and Chainsaw Man in context of being "not Jump-like" manga
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

reading more from the Japanese one
Nak was the eic of Saikyou Jump and he FUCKING LOVE gag manga

lol, this literally surprises exactly 0 people
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
reading more from the Japanese one
Nak was the eic of Saikyou Jump and he FUCKING LOVE gag manga

lol, this literally surprises exactly 0 people
I'm pretty sure Nak is the only person who loves Me & Roboco more than me. Good thing it just so happens he's the editor in chief! Heck, if his bias has positive influence on Me & Roboco's high rankings then I'm certainly not gonna complain.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
oops, that's the one I read too, guess I misremembered
sorry

looking through the Japanese one, he didn't give examples, in the survey question Otaquest just added them from the follow up questions about demography and decision on what to serialize
he was talking about Jimoto in the context of younger demographic
and Chainsaw Man in context of being "not Jump-like" manga
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

reading more from the Japanese one
Nak was the eic of Saikyou Jump and he FUCKING LOVE gag manga

lol, this literally surprises exactly 0 people
Since I really don't want to read machine translated Japanese I will take your word for it though he also says Chainsawman is in un-Jump like in a separate interview

 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
BK with a poor ranking, not like it matters that much, what matters more is how the sales are like. I am surprised with the placements for the series as Nakano was the editor for both Toriko & Takeshi lol. You'd think it'd rank much better.

I have refrained on speaking about BK as a whole till it revealed a power system/villain organization/etc. but it had a good first chapter and sorta went downhill from there, only to pick back up with Cork's story arc but even then it's painfully average. Overall, I agree with most people's ranking of it being C tier and you can argue it being D tier tbh. The world building bits are nice but the world itself feels like Toriko but replaced with houses and feels quite lazy in some areas tbh (which is the last thing I would associate Shimabu with). More importantly, it's not that captivating either. I remember Shimabu mentioned he was struggling with writing BK and it does show so far. His paneling got messier from what I noticed, I remember how great it was with Toriko. Overall I'm pretty disappointed so far. (SD is also C-tier and possibly D-tier, same case as BK albeit a bit better)

I think Shimabu can turns things around if he does his take on the hunters/chunin exam arc for the builder exam arc. It'd be a nice way to expand the cast, flesh out Tonkachi/Renga and make the verse more captivating. Cork is by far the best character and had quite the decent backstory. I'm rooting for you Shimabu!

Also I feel bad for anyone who's reading BK without reading/finishing Toriko. Normally I wouldn't care but I'd like to see Shimabu get more of a fanbase.
 

Manjiknights

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2020
Messages
172
Reaction score
438
Country
United States
What I'm really most interested in with regards to the survey/ToC talk is how far in advance the ToC lineup is actually decided. For instance, have all these Phantom Seer low rankings been decided before they saw how well volume 1 did? I would think it was long ago enough now that its ranking this time wasn't preplanned before volume release. Magu is also still very high up despite volume sales stagnating so either they want to keep pushing it for one last shot with v3 or this was decided before they saw v2's sales, and if it's the latter I'm wondering how many more issues' worth of high placements it would get before they push it downward with the post-volume ToC's. I know as this thread has discussed ToC is decided by many more things than volume sales but these two series in particular are in such peculiar situations right now I have to wonder how their positions may or may not change. Don't get me wrong, as a Magu fan I would be very happy if they let it avoid the axe next round to give it another chance, but on the other hand I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security here :P I suspect if they are going to push PS for volume 2 to try to get it to improve it will have a CP in issue #10 or #11. I really don't know why they're not promoting it either unless surveys are abysmal. I guess I can see the plausibility of posts earlier in this thread that say more people like to read PS by the volume than within the magazine itself which explains high sales but potentially poor surveys, and I'd say it's probably the reverse of that for Magu.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I am surprised with the placements for the series as Nakano was the editor for both Toriko & Takeshi lol. You'd think it'd rank much better.
Nak was also the editor of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
we need an edit for:
friendship ended with Shimabukuro
now Matsui is my best friend
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
This is kinda blindsiding surveys, who's to say Hinomaru didn't get high survey scores or undead gets subpar ones
It just seems more likely that placement is indicative from editors than actual votes from fan letters, especially if you believe the case about World Trigger. But yeah no concrete evidence about Undead.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
The theory was based on the fact that an old series (don't remember which one) got 1st in the surveys for a certain chapter also placed 1st on the ToC 8 weeks later. This is where both the 8 week theory and the theory that ToC is a 1:1 comparison of surveys came from, at least what we believed was the case years ago.
But there have been instances after that that have gone against this.

Main example, I can think of from the top of my head is World Trigger.
World Trigger being popular early on and even ranking 1st apparently multiple times (based on what the editor himself said) but you wouldn't be able to say that looking at it's placements in the ToC for like 2 years of its run.
Almost always lower half of the ToC (a few times in the bottom 5) only occasionally rising for CPs. And there have been zero instances during then where WT hit the top of the ToC, IIRC.

The only indication that World Trigger was popular or WSJ cared about it was that it did get CPs relatively often.

8 week rule is fun and all but it's not set in stone and never was.
Like even if a 8 week rule existed, for all we know, they said "fuck you" to those who figured it out and moved it to something else.
Isn’t the 8 week/issue rule pretty much confirmed by Oda himself in one of his volume extras?
 

Smilzyy

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Messages
91
Reaction score
1,006
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Shoseki 1/19

#1 Jujutsu Kaisen 14
#25 My Hero Academia 29
#35 Chainsaw Man 10
#72 Dr. Stone 19
#78 Black Clover 27
#114 Kimetsu no Yaiba TV Anime Official Character Book 3
#159 We Never Learn 20
#203 MASHLE 4
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Things will really spice up from now on.
The lineup seems to be highly competitive again and we'll probably see series which are beloved or sell decently (by the standards we created in the last 2 years) being cancelled.
 

Ike79

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
120
Reaction score
372
Country
Spain
And there goes Our Blood Oath. Not gonna lie, this was probably the worst series Jump has published in the past couple of years. I'll only remember it for having a baffling second chapter. It killed all momentum the series might have had from its premiere.

Good luck to the author on future endeavours, though.
 

ScotchAianB

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
1,392
Gender
Male
Country
Saudi Arabia
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Seems Tabata has said goodbye to Kazu Kakazu in author comments. Tabata being again the kind Jump lover he is.

EDIT: I got wrong the author. He has said goodbye but to Hasegawa (Moriking).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top