Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
for instance, Guardian of the Witch's outperformed both UndeadUnluck's and Mashle's.
Not only did Guardian outdo both of them in views but also dislikes lol. GOTW is currently sitting at 549 likes, and 1.5k dislikes meaning it is the only vomic on the channel that has more dislikes than likes.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's funny to me that Guardian of the Witch ended up being such a hated series in Japan where the western reaction was mostly just forgetting about it after the weak first couple chapters.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
It's funny to me that Guardian of the Witch ended up being such a hated series in Japan where the western reaction was mostly just forgetting about it after the weak first couple chapters.
I wonder why GOTW was so publicly hated in Japan?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I think it's mostly just it being very generic. I have no idea why it's the one that got the negative attention though.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
It's possible that some of the hate stemmed from just being in the Mashle, UxU batch. Guardian of the Witch was the last one of that batch and was the least popular of that batch. SO, I can assume that after people liked Mashle and to an extent UxU, they were extremely disappointed with GoTW and just gave it dislikes instead of just ignoring it?

Could be tons of reasons why but I definitely think GotW being the last of that batch, generic and the weakest didn't help.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
So, for the four new series, we have:
- ahistorical action(?) series featuring samurai (oh god, I can already see the S8 comparisons)
- a criminal suspense series
- a comedy between a witch and her familiar
- a spokon featuring the sport of baseball

None of them seem to have romance as a central or major element - Ai Terushii turned out to be something completely different. Damn. I'm guessing that slot's already been taken by Blue Box, then.

Interesting batch! I wish them the best of luck in the newbiebowl!
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
773
Age
25
Country
Italy
Can we consider this as the new golden age of Jump? Hits after hits after hits. I’ve been following sales for a long time now and I’ve never seen so many manga getting this much popular out of the blue.
Just look at Spy x Family, Kaijuu 8-gou, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, Yakusoku no Neverland, Chainsaw Man. Massive hits that came literally out of the blue. And many more are starting to grow in sales and everything, although at a slower pace.
I don’t know, I might be the only one I won’t deny that, but I’m truly amazed honestly
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,716
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Can we consider this as the new golden age of Jump? Hits after hits after hits. I’ve been following sales for a long time now and I’ve never seen so many manga getting this much popular out of the blue.
Just look at Spy x Family, Kaijuu 8-gou, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, Yakusoku no Neverland, Chainsaw Man. Massive hits that came literally out of the blue. And many more are starting to grow in sales and everything, although at a slower pace.
I don’t know, I might be the only one I won’t deny that, but I’m truly amazed honestly
-SpyxFamiily and Kaijuu 8 aren't Shonen Jump, they are Jump+
-Still too soon to see Chainsawman, but for the moment I think it still has less copies than Dr.Stone. I wouldn't consider Neverland a massive hit just because it outsold My Hero Academia for a year, I think is getting the numbers of Assassination Classroom but is still below stuff like Kuroko no Basket or Reborn

I think is too soon to think of it. The only massive hits in last 10 years have been Haikyuu, Kimetsu and now Jujutsu. My Hero Academia can be also considered a massive hit at worldwide scale too. The problem for me to consider this the new Golden Age of Jump is we have only 5 veterans in the magazine right now, and two of them (Dr.Stone, specially Black Clover) sell, but not in big quantities. What we should focus now is if Mashle, Ayakashi Triangle and any potential 2021 title will become big hits.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's definitely not a Golden Age, if anything this is the Dark Ages of Jump considering we only have 5 proper hits in the magazine right now.

It's great that Jujutsu's doing really well as are some finished manga but the ongoing line-up is probably the weakest it's been since the 70s.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
On other vomic news, the SAKAMOTO DAYS vomic has passed 1 million views today.
I already said this before
but you have to wonder how many of those views got hooked by the gore in thumbnail? and if the "no kill" rule will hurt the series going forward
I wonder why GOTW was so publicly hated in Japan?
I don't know if it's the reason for the hate, but I saw people saying it ripoff AoT and other titles

this video have 300k views and it's comments section pretty much just pile up on it
 

Rukasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,331
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Nige Jouzu seems to be directly criticizing/commenting on the idea of "dying on a battle even if the chances of victory are zero", heavily present on the japanese mindset during conflicts. Really interest in seeing where it goes, the LCP is gorgeous
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I already said this before
but you have to wonder how many of those views got hooked by the gore in thumbnail? and if the "no kill" rule will hurt the series going forward
I mean, people can view a video by being clickbaited and thereby the views can be bloated. True.

But the number of "likes" would provide a more accurate picture.
Sakamoto seems to be pretty well liked, far more than any other WSJ manga vomic currently there. So it's definitely popular. Part 2 of the vomic also had more likes than any other WSJ vomic there.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
I already said this before
but you have to wonder how many of those views got hooked by the gore in thumbnail? and if the "no kill" rule will hurt the series going forward
How is the characters not killing going to hurt the series?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
>promotion pic
>some guy getting stabbed in the throat
>actual manga
>not that
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I don’t see “no gore” hurting Sakamoto Day, and honestly I feel like the “no killing” rule was pretty necessary for the series plot wise, and for it to fit in with Shonen Jump (while killing does happen in Shonen series, aside from Light we haven’t had a protagonist who was a mass murderer and killed ppl on a whim in recent years. And even with Light, he was the villain of the story)

I think for a series that’s clearly aiming to be a mostly light-hearted Shonen action/comedy, having the protagonist violently murdering ppl every chapter would clash with the intended tone. Something like that would be much better suited for a Seinen magazine.

And the series is about Japan’s strongest assassin retiring.
With him being established as being so overpowered, it leaves little room for tension when we know he’s stronger than any assassin that comes for him.

Having him give up on killing allows there to be more tension when he needs to maintain his relationship with his wife and daughter, while still protecting them. While also allowing our 2 side characters to have fights.

TLDR: a hyper violent manga about a mass murdering assassin would work better in a Seinen magazine. The current tone that Sakamoto shifted to is better suited for Shonen Jump’s demographic, and it transitioned well. I doubt Jump readers come to Jump for that

on top of that, if you’re coming to the series for high violence, you still get a dose of that from Mr.Sakamoto’s thought bubbles, and the villain characters
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
If people were clicking for the thumbnail then got disappointed by the lack of gore, there'd be a lot more dislikes and negative comments. Plus it's on ch 8 this week and placed decently high on the ToC.

People probably just really liked the first chapter and I guess word of it spread online, though we'll need to wait and see if stays popular.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top