Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ike79

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
120
Reaction score
372
Country
Spain
Now that we have all new series, I can say that I think that this new batch is decent, but nothing stands out as great.

Ball Parade is as exactly as I expected it to be. Competent, but unexciting. It's doing the premise switcheroo that both Haikyu and Beast Children did. Did you think this was a story about our MCs finding their place in an already great team that has to bear with heavy expectations of wining? Surprise! It's actually about an underdog team of ragtags that will give it their all to try and win against the big guys. At least it didn't shoot itself in the foot like Beast Children did by shelving one of its main characters. Anyways, art is pretty good too.

Witch Watch turned up the silly antics this week. I enjoy the characters quite a bit and the situations have been fun. This is good, but not great. I think expanding the cast will help.

I tell c is probably the most interesting series out of the batch. I really like the characters and their dynamic, but the mistery aspect seems lacking. The cases have not been clever nor shocking enough to be memorable. This is also the series with the most uncertain future of them all. It's obviously a bit too soon to say, but considering it's within a niche genre (specially for this magazine), I fear it's not strong enough to catch on. Would love to be wrong, though.

Elusive Samurai is the one I'm most conflicted on. I like the premise, and the historical framing. However, it hasn't done anything great with it yet. I need a really great moment to be sold on it completely.

Rated by how much I like them, they look like this:
I tell c > Elusive Samurai > Witch Watch > Ball Parade

And I rate their chances of survival like this:
Elusive Samurai > Ball Parade > Witch Watch > I tell c
That said, I'm probably really wrong.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder if they're going the Giant Killing route and focus more on coaching
but they want to form the perfect battery and with how Ayu put so much into training I think he actually wants to be a good baseball player.

otherwise

i think its the most promising series, been on my mind all day. good writing.
 

KiMiTo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
345
Reaction score
578
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
I liked the twist in Nine Dragons' Ball Parade. It has a lot of potential, so I hope that it survives. I love different kind of sports, so I'll be happy to have a good sport manga in Jump again since the end of Haikyuu! My rank of the chapters from this week issue:
Great:
Sakamoto Days
My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
Nine Dragons' Ball Parade

Good:
One Piece
Dr. Stone
Witch Watch

Meh:
Build King
The Elusive Samurai
I tell C
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
but they want to form the perfect battery and with how Ayu put so much into training I think he actually wants to be a good baseball player.

otherwise

i think its the most promising series, been on my mind all day. good writing.

he can be both a player and a coach
he did that in the chapter, he coached Team B to victory
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
he can be both a player and a coach
he did that in the chapter, he coached Team B to victory
I thought he was being a captain, when i think of coach I think of someone like Daigo in major2nd, knowledge of every position etc.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I thought he was being a captain, when i think of coach I think of someone like Daigo in major2nd, knowledge of every position etc.
coaches make strategies, captains lead the team on the field, so he was both captain and coach
and they spent a lot of time establishing how much research he does this chapter
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Mashle again with its top comedy at the right time, nice breather chapter and trash talk from Mash. Yozakura definitely feels very Soul Society-ish, liked the fight overall. Cop and Dolphin really hitting the right notes here, tho I'm sad it may leave in the near future. Phantom Seer was good mostly cause it focused more on the supporting cast. Sakamoto Days was so clean with that last page, the comedy is really giving me Gintama vibes.

I tell c wrapped its case to quickly, what's got me hooked for now are the fmc and the overarching mystery, I'm still giving it a chance. Witch Watch had a decent 2nd chapter, not bad but not to great either, loved the 4th wall break with Niko tho and the latter part of the chapter, it can really improve once the supporting cast appears. Elusive Samurai definitely need to set up an arc right now and fleshout its cast, next chapters are gonna make or break the series.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,546
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Ok, I have two questions:

-What do you expect for next batch to come?
-Do you expect another veteran coming bck in next batch again?

I personally think we are back to gagbowl in next batch, but I hope we get a second spokon. Kowloon is a good first step, but I'd prefer Jump runniing two spokons at the same time to strengthen the presence of the genre in the magazine
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Ok, I have two questions:

-What do you expect for next batch to come?
-Do you expect another veteran coming bck in next batch again?

I personally think we are back to gagbowl in next batch, but I hope we get a second spokon. Kowloon is a good first step, but I'd prefer Jump runniing two spokons at the same time to strengthen the presence of the genre in the magazine

It seems likely that we'll get Shuuichi Asou returning soon, considering all the random oneshots of his they're voicing. My guess for next batch is just 2 series of which one is a gag manga from him, and the other a newbie or previous flop creator doing a new traditional japanese sport/game manga (since there seems to be one of those every couple years). Probably a new battle shounen too if we get 3 new series since we'd probably lose two (Build King and Dolphin).

Blue Box's serialisation will also almost certainly be coming at some point, but I doubt it's ready quite yet.
 
Last edited:

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
The chapter of WW was more or less how I thought it would be. I believe it is pretty safe to say that some new characters are going to appear soon. The dynamics between the two main character is ok, but it can become rapidly repetitive.

Nine Dragons' Ball Parade was a good read, but none of the characters stood out for me in terms of design or motivations. To be honest, I am not too optimistic about it surviving for long.

In my opinion, i tell c could have started condensing these three chapters in one case. I do not mean in terms of events, but I am referring to the path that took us to establish who the main characters are. I would have chosen just one of the cases to present more clearly and earlier that.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
3,118
Age
24
Country
United States
Ok, I have two questions:

-What do you expect for next batch to come?
-Do you expect another veteran coming bck in next batch again?

I personally think we are back to gagbowl in next batch, but I hope we get a second spokon. Kowloon is a good first step, but I'd prefer Jump runniing two spokons at the same time to strengthen the presence of the genre in the magazine
The rookie powerhouses will come

Ao No Hako
Red Hood
My Little Mars
Count Over

Probably won't be the same series for each of the authors but those series.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
The rookie powerhouses will come

Ao No Hako
Red Hood
My Little Mars
Count Over

Probably won't be the same series for each of the authors but those series.
Red Hood just won GFC so there's no way it's even remotely ready, and not to kill anyone's hopes but Shindou (countover) said he wasn't even drawing manga in the meanwhile in his GIGA comment so he's likely not gonna be serialized in quite a while, probably focusing on his studies right now if I were to guess.

I agree that Shuuichi Asou will definitely come back soon, probably next batch.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Nine Dragons Ball Parade was generic as fuck. But it was still enjoyable and executed well.
The art is also super generic but that makes it overall bland but that said, it had some nice spreads and panels. Hope it finds its own style as it goes on.

Witch Watch's interview style kinda reminded me of the Office. I thought the ending was hilarious. Overall I think it was on par with chapter 1.

I Tell C is the weakest of the other 3 newbies for me so far. I'm liking elusive prince more.
Based on chapter 1 alone tho;

Witch watch
Elusive Prince/I tell C
Nine Dragons Ball Parade

Other chapters, Mashle was great. JJK is getting very intriguing, Sakamoto Days was really good and enjoyable and Build King was eh.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
My guess is that the next batch will be around May, probably a batch of two, with Cop and Dolphin and High School Family ending, or a batch of three with Magu also getting the ax.
 

Phantom RPG

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Messages
1,084
Reaction score
1,217
Age
28
Country
Brazil
Ok, I have two questions:

-What do you expect for next batch to come?
-Do you expect another veteran coming bck in next batch again?

I personally think we are back to gagbowl in next batch, but I hope we get a second spokon. Kowloon is a good first step, but I'd prefer Jump runniing two spokons at the same time to strengthen the presence of the genre in the magazine
For your first question; I will give my thoughts that there will likely be a gag manga, but only one to replace High School Family, which will most likely be the return of Shuuichi Asou as some have suggested if not then i would certainly bet on Norihiro Norimura.

The rookie powerhouses will come

Ao No Hako
Red Hood
My Little Mars
Count Over
I agree on all of them minus Count Over and Red Hood.

Although i do feel like we might see the likes of Tadachi Nakama doing that Tokyo Horror Channel one shot of his sometime soon or the likes of the Senran Freaks duo or Inui Shutarou making their own series within the magazine.
 

Petko Metko

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 24, 2020
Messages
15
Reaction score
38
Age
27
Country
Serbia
Jump rank
MHA
Sakamoto Days
JJK
Undead Unluck
Mission Yozakura Family
Elusive Samurai
Ball parade
Phantom Seer
Ayakashi Triangle
Black Clover
I tell c
Witch watch
Cop and Dolphin
Mashle
Dr.Stone
Build King
HSF

Rank Regarding new batch- Elusive Samurai> Witch Watch> I tell c> nine dragons ball parade
Even if nine dragons is last on my list of the new batch, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Overall I like all the new series.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - I love the new character even more than the one from last chapter. The hermit crabs were so cute this chapter, and Magu-chan is very considerate of his followers even in the face of a challenge. The introduction of these rankless creatures was a good call in my opinion.
2. Mission: Yozakura Family - Fantastic fight scene, and Futaba's state of absolute calmness when facing off with the hothead was an amazing contrast. If every siblings' battle scene ends up being as good as this one, then this is going to be a phenomenal arc.
3. Me & Roboco - Valentine's Day chapter delivered in a very big way. Multiple part of this chapter had me laughing really hard, especially parts with my boy Gorilla. The part at the very end was a really nice touch.
4. I Tell C - Solid chapter, and I'm especially pleased with how the chapter ended. I can easily see this getting U19'd, but I'm hoping for the author's sake that he can at least get past that hurdle, even if it ends up lasting only 1 more volume's worth of content. I wonder what role the blonde brother is going to play in the story?
5. Ayakashi Triangle - A massive improvement from the past 2 weeks' chapters. I went from hating the brush guy to really being interested in his character after all of these developments. Curious to see what is going to happen next.

The best of the rest:
6. Sakamoto Days - The whole immediate transition from fat to thin seems odd to me, but besides that, the chapter was pretty good. Nothing too noteworthy happened, but next chapter seems promising. The CP looked pretty nice too.
7. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Although the start of the chapter seemed a bit sudden like we had missed the setup, I thought it was one of the funnier chapters. I got a few decent laughs out of the middle part of the chapter.
8. Witch Watch - The chapter itself was alright. I thought the parts where she was talking to the screen like it was a reality TV show looked cute, but the content for the chapter itself was just alright. I found myself laughing a bit, but not too much.
9. Mashle - The chapter itself was decent, but at this point, I'm expecting a bit more from the series than this. I'm really hoping that something from this arc can stand out from the jokes and battles that have already taken place.
10. Undead Unluck - Rip and the rest of his gang aren't really doing anything for me this arc, and the fight with Autumn has been dragged out for way too long. I'm really hoping that this fight concludes really soon.
11. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - I'm now quite certain this is the final arc. The author can draw some fantastic looking backgrounds, but these humanoid seas creatures are kind of an eye-sore to look at.
12. Nine Dragons' Ball Parade - Yeah it ranked last, but I still didn't dislike it nearly as much as I thought I would. It really flew through the selection process, but that was probably for the best. I just have no interest in baseball.

If I had to rank the newest series' first chapters, I'd rank them as follows: I Tell C > Witch Watch > Nine Dragons' Ball Parade > The Elusive Prince. For the most part, nothing really blew me away in a favorable way. I was pretty shocked by how much I disliked Matsui's new series though. I Tell C has been my favorite so far, but I can really see it struggling.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Ok, I have two questions:

-What do you expect for next batch to come?
-Do you expect another veteran coming bck in next batch again?

I personally think we are back to gagbowl in next batch, but I hope we get a second spokon. Kowloon is a good first step, but I'd prefer Jump runniing two spokons at the same time to strengthen the presence of the genre in the magazine
My predictions for the next serialisation round:
  • Will be around Issue #17/18 (late March/early April) depending how generous they are with all the anniversary covers coming up before then.
  • Gut instinct would be a gag manga by Shuuichi Asou (Saiki) based on the recent vomics, and Blue Box. If there's third I think it'll be a newbie.
  • If two new series then Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin and High School Family will be cancelled. Hard-Boiled seems like a given at this point and volume-wise if they don't eliminate High School Family next round then it would take quite a while for its shorter chapters to fill a third volume.
  • If a third series does have to end it would likely be Magu-chan: God of Destruction or Build King, but I can't see Magu-chan vanishing that quickly after some high placements and I'd be shocked if they cancelled Build King before even the first volume is out. It would have to be performing piss poor for them to do that. Personally I think both of them will survive next round but will be next on the block afterward (unless something major shifts).
Semi-related, but to make bets super early my gut says I tell c will be the first from its batch to be cut, perhaps even in the round after. I can see The Elusive Samurai being a hit, Witch Watch might find an audience, but I'm unsure about Nine Dragon's Ball Parade after seeing so many cancelled sports series in the 2010s.

I'd find it amusing if both Hunter x Hunter and Burn the Witch did come back at the same time and then both ended by the next serialisation round, saving a bunch of newbies from being cancelled early.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Was finally able to read Ball Parade, it wasnt as bad as expected, I'd say the second half made the chapter, it was a decent start. The art could be better but its not off putting. Time to see how the author handles it from here on.

Regarding the 4 series as a whole, I'd say Elusive>I Tell c=Witch Watch>Ball Parade. Its been overall a solid batch, one of the bests in a long time
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top