Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kushikime

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Messages
167
Reaction score
359
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
My Jump Issue 11 Chapter Rankings

Great: Black Clover, Yozakura Family, Sakamoto Days

Good: Jujutsu Kaisen, My Hero Academia, Dr. Stone, Ayakashi Triangle, Cop & Dolphin, Undead Unluck, Phantom Seer

Average: Nine Dragons' Ball Parade, One Piece, Witch Watch, Mashle, i tell c, Build King

Meh: Elusive Samurai, Roboco

Yikes: Magu-chan, HS Family
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Was finally able to read Ball Parade, it wasnt as bad as expected, I'd say the second half made the chapter, it was a decent start. The art could be better but its not off putting. Time to see how the author handles it from here on.

Regarding the 4 series as a whole, I'd say Elusive>I Tell c=Witch Watch>Ball Parade
do you just not like sports series?
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Why does everyone think I tell c will be axed, the story is very interesting tbh.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why are you singling out this user’s post when they’re giving it a positive review overall?
Because they expected it to be bad? and there was no explanation for why that would be so? and even in their ranking it is worst ranked then the others?
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Another week, another killer Roboco chapter.

Loved Nine Dragons. Did an excellent job at setting up the premise while giving a good feel for the main duo too. It was pretty tame and mild though, with little confrontation all things considered. Hope that won't hurt it. By far my favorite of the new batch.

Second favorite of the new batch is Elusive Samurai. Has me engaged and interested despite the wonky execution, and I keep brining it up but those two kids still haven't had a proper introduction. What the hell?

Third is Witch Watch. Not my type but not bad, hope it will get more into its fantasy elements and wont just stay weekly fluff, but the mention of school this chapter is already making me giving up all hope.

And finally i tell c. I think this is straight up terrible, these three chapters have been the same thing over and over again. Nonsense premise that might have some substance (but im not even giving it the benefit of the doubt). The crazy girl and her gimmick is hogging all the spotlight, while one of the twins despite being prominently featured as a main character on the debut cover still has the importance of an unnamed background character dropping a few lines of exposition in any other manga. And is this really supposed to be a detective story? Kinda missing the detective part in that case.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because they expected it to be bad? and there was no explanation for why that would be so? and even in their ranking it is worst ranked then the others?
Most users on here either had no expectations for the series, or thought it looked the worst out of the previews. That’s just a first impression thing, it says nothing about them not liking sports.

Also, if I were to do this:

Chocolate >>> Strawberry >>> Vanilla

That’s just ranking what I like most to least, that’s not me saying that Vanilla is bad, or that I don’t like it. Nothing Chuck posted indicated a dislike of sports, just that he preferred the other new series more.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Why does everyone think I tell c will be axed, the story is very interesting tbh.
I've seen people voice their concerns over how quickly the cases in the first 3 chapters were resolved, not really enjoying the characters, and just a general doubt on whether the author can actually make suspenseful, non-obvious cases that are properly paced. Honestly, I've been enjoying it so far, but I'm still feeling concerned about it. Two of the four series in this round are also from veterans, so even if they tank, they'll probably still last 4 volumes minimum, and I Tell C's author is essentially an unknown.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Why does everyone think I tell c will be axed, the story is very interesting tbh.
For its a combination of

1. Jump series are more likely to get axed than they are to be a huge hit. In a normal year, if we get 13 new series, may 3 of them will be hits at best. So technically speaking, all 4 series have a huge shot of being axed just on that fact alone

2. I just think it's the worst of the 3 series. Not to say that it's awful, uninteresting, or even axe worthy. Just that among these 4 series, i just thought it was the weakest.

3. 2 of these 4 series have mangaka with more than one hit under their belt. thats not to say they're guaranteed to succeed. They can very well flop. but if i were a betting man i would just place my bets on the 2 mangaka with 2 successful manga, 0 flops, and decent sized fanbases before i bet on the mangaka with 0 hits and 1 flop.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
Why does everyone think I tell c will be axed, the story is very interesting tbh.
Even though it only been three chapters the story is starting to feel a little repetitive and bland it doesn't help the two male mc are not that interesting.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why does everyone think I tell c will be axed, the story is very interesting tbh.
While it is an interesting concept, the writer's execution is lacking. It doesn't feel cohesive and feels like the characters are just lifeless tropes. The mysteries are phoned in and not that well-thought out compared to PsychoPass (s1) or Ron Kamonoashi Deranged Detective. Unless the writer can level up and handle these things better then I think the series continued survival is at best doubtful.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,294
Reaction score
7,324
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I like i tell c's characters and premise so far but the actual detective stuff is relatively weak, which I can see resulting in it performing badly. I hope it can improve the detective stuff and do well since it's a unique set-up and I'd love to have a dirty-handed detective series running in WSJ, but considering it's also by an author who only has a U19 series and there's also two new manga starting by veterans with two hits each makes it's hard to have much confidence in it.

That said, the 3 worst performing manga right now are new series by veterans (Dolphin, HSF, and Build King) so I suppose that doesn't really mean much in WSJ.

Personally I'd probably rank the new series so far as

I tell c > Ball Parade > Witch Watch > Elusive Samurai

though I like the first three about the same, the only one I don't like is Elusive Samurai (I thought the action last chapter was great, but the storytelling is outright horrendous otherwise and the characters aren't grabbing me either).
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
he voices Switch? huh, never watched the Sket Dance anime
but now the Gintama crossover make way more sense
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 2/14

#4 Kimetsu no Yaiba Official Fanbook 2
#13 One Piece 98
#27 "Kimetsu no Yaiba" Gotouge Koyoharu's Artbook
#35 Death Note Short Stories
#283 Honomieru Shounen 2
#382 Me & Roboco 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top