Late again. Oh well.
Ball Parade: ... I wonder if they intended to make the MC an autistic kid, or if they just didn't realise that's how he would come across. Either way, it's interesting. Not really doing anything new, but- whoa, I take it back. That was unexpected. Talk about making your own enemies.
I just hope they'll be able to keep it up, because many new series with a strong start stumble in the second chapter and the story basically has to start over from here.
Dr Stone: I had fun reading this chapter, but I can’t help but wonder why they are sticking with a plan that does not work (yet). The new developments are exciting.
Yozakura: Very nice, if a little slow. I did not expect her to survive.
MHA: Call me callous, but I don’t really see what we are supposed to blame E for so far. He’s never gonna win Father of the Year, but encouraging your kid to be ambitious is not abuse, and caring for their safety isn’t either. I’m assuming something worse will happen in the next chapter, because right now the ‘complex villain’ seems more like a whiny brat who couldn’t handle not being the center of attention.
OP: Been a while since we had a chapter without Luffy. But that’s fine, at least we’re not jumping every two pages anymore.
i tell c: Are they trying to make the woman look better by making everyone else look terrible? Because now I just think the entire police force should be fired. Though that little titbit at the end was interesting, it seems there’s more to the story than we were told.
They’re also really hammering down this ‘two detectives’ thing, even though the older brother has been there with them the entire time… but I guess he’s not important?
HSF: The cow pose actually made me laugh. That's the first time this series has managed that.
Then they killed the joke by overdoing it.
C&D: Heh, nice opening drawing. And nice chapter! Every now and then, Tamura manages to create this really intense atmosphere that draws you in, and the first half of this chapter is a prime example of that. (The second half is good too, but the mood is different.) If the whole series was like this, I’d buy it.
Sakamoto: Some parts were good, but there’s not that much happening compared to previous chapters and Shin got taken down way too easily IMHO.
Witch Watch: The art is nice, but the story isn’t for me. It’s too crazy to be a charming love story and too unfunny to be a comedy, plus the girl’s attitude really annoys me. It also strongly reminds me of Nisekoi (which also annoyed me at times, so the whole genre isn’t really my thing).
Magu-chan: Another one? The introduction (special form) was clever, but don’t we have enough cast members already?
Build King: Finally some action... except not really, because after ALL that build-up, all important characters (and some unimportant ones) manage with barely any effort. I suppose this was meant to show how amazing everyone is, but knowing that Wimpy Guy over there is better than any students they had in the last ten years just makes me feel like this whole organisation is seriously overrated.
Mashle: Decent chapter, though I kinda wish we’d meet a villain with a different tune for a change.
Elusive Samourai: Didn’t the kid already accept him in the first chapter? Why are we doing this again? The only thing that’s new is the history lesson on shrines, but surely there must’ve been a better way to write that into the story.
PS: I suspected it was something like that. We’re up for a lot of mind-tricks here. Really wish I could read the next chapter(s) already.
BC: Haha, this is really classical shonen. They do every trope in the book. It feels kinda old-fashioned, but apparently there’s still a market for it.
AT: Another (unexpectedly) great chapter! I really like not-Suzu. She’s spunky and open-minded, even more so than the original. They should’ve made her the main character.
M&R: Wow. The desperation, it reeks. But it’s kind of admirable that they all overcame their inner demons in the end. (Also, cute ending.)
UU: They put boobs on a spider. ^_~ I like the new team-up, but I hope the fight won’t last too much longer.
Time for Torture, Princess: The Dragon Ball is strong in this one. The joke at the end was good, but I’m kind of sad we’re not getting more tournament.
As for the new series, the poll is actually kinda hard for me because it really depends on how you look at it.
Favourite first chapter as an independent story:
i tell c > The Elusive Samurai > Nine Dragons’ Ball Parade > Witch Watch
Favourite first chapter as set-up for a series:
The Elusive Samurai > Nine Dragons’ Ball Parade > Witch Watch ≥ i tell c
Favourite series as a whole (so far):
Nine Dragons’ Ball Parade ≥ The Elusive Samurai > i tell c > Witch Watch
Though honestly, I'm not sold on any of the series just yet. i tell c worked great as a one-shot with a twist, but once the mystery is gone, there's not much left. Witch Watch isn't my thing, The Elusive Samourai had a decent start but is now dragging, and Ball Parade has yet to prove itself.
I still have hope for the last two, but it's curious how many series have trouble keeping up the pace after the first chapter. You'd think they'd still have enough to tell at this point...