Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Weekly Oricon Ranking (by Series): March 29 - April 04

01. Jujutsu Kaisen: 751,102
03. Kimetsu no Yaiba: 367,718
04. Boku no Hero Academia: 341,178
05. Dr. STONE: 153,183
07. Chainsaw Man: 101,433
09. Black Clover: 86,255
10. Jujutsu Kaisen Official Fanbook: 83,889
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shoseki - 04/06

01. Boku no Hero Academia #30
03. Dr. Stone #20
07. Black Clover #28
37. Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken Shinsou Ayarokuban #16
38. Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken Shinsou Ayarokuban #17
71. Sakamoto Days #01
134. Boku to Roboco #03
153. Build King #01
193. Shakunetsu no Niraikanai #03
250. Agravity Boys #05
Kaisen slowing down?
 

galaxy-juice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2021
Messages
895
Reaction score
1,829
Age
25
Country
United States
I love Kowloon and I hope it lives, but the signals are very bad. The newbie with the lowest reception in Vomic views and J+ views in last 2 years, and the lowest ToC beginning since Zipman (if we don't count TPGW).

I hope it lives. Is surprisingly good and fun, but I don't have hopes tbh
Kowloon's first rank was 9, which is the same as I Tell C, Our Blood Oath, Time Paradox Ghostwriter, and Agravity Boys.
Zipman and Guardian of the Witch premiered at 10.

In other words, yeah... not promising. Unlike most of those series, though, Kowloon didn't drop much in its second week, which is at least a little optimistic. I don't see it dropping past Cop and Dolphin at the current moment, but that may not be enough to keep it off the chopping block.

At least next week I'll have a new sports-themed series fill the void in my heart. I haven't given up on Kowloon yet, though.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I love Kowloon and I hope it lives, but the signals are very bad. The newbie with the lowest reception in Vomic views and J+ views in last 2 years, and the lowest ToC beginning since Zipman (if we don't count TPGW).

I hope it lives. Is surprisingly good and fun, but I don't have hopes tbh
Phantom Seer and Guardian of the Witch had over 200k and 130k views with their pv, one got canceled last week and other was a major flop, the toc placement thing is exaggerated a lot, series is in the middle for 2 weeks and this is a sign of cancelation? JP reception on twitter is also far from bad, we're not even close to have sales numbers too, so i dont see what is so bad about the situation so far unless ofc it just drop to bottom 2 next week, but now it just seems like you're dooming the series because of a "feeling".
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
TOC thoughts:
  • Fun fact - everything that ranked last week ranked lower this time, except for High School Family
  • The Elusive Samurai and Sakamoto Days being in the top 5 is a good sign for our 2021 newbies. Meanwhile I tell c is dead last a 17th as it should
  • Nine Dragons' isn't doing great but not enough to get worried about (yet). Could be worse, I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't nosedive like I tell c
  • So Build King isn't confirmed to end yet? It's pretty much at death's door anyway...
Can't wait to read Blue Box!

Why you're trying to doom Kowloon? lol
Personally, I'm tempering my expectations so as not to be disappointed when the very real chance of it not succeeding comes around even if I think it's definitely the best of the last batch. I think since most people on here also enjoy it are in the same mindset. None of us actually want it to fail.
 
Last edited:

Ike79

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
120
Reaction score
372
Country
Spain
Phantom Seer and Guardian of the Witch had over 200k and 130k views with their pv, one got canceled last week and other was a major flop, the toc placement thing is exaggerated a lot, series is in the middle for 2 weeks and this is a sign of cancelation? JP reception on twitter is also far from bad, we're not even close to have sales numbers too, so i dont see what is so bad about the situation so far unless ofc it just drop to bottom 2 next week, but now it just seems like you're dooming the series because of a "feeling".
Your comparison is not quite right. Guardian of the Witch had an awful like to dislike ratio. A lot of people watched the PV, but most didn't like it. And Phantom Seer is one of the most contentious axes of the last few years. The series was more popular than your usual cancelled series, like its sales attest. It also lasted for 30 chapters, far from U19 territory.
I would say that in both cases PV performance was quite indicative of the series' early reception.

Not saying that Kowloon is doomed yet, but signs are not positive, and this weeks ToC isn't exactly great (it's comparable to i tell c's two weeks ago).
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany

Yonkou has confirmed Build is dead.

Bye bye Shimabukuro.
Irregular reminder that Yonkou is not a reliable source and in no position to "confirm" anything.
Even though he is most likely right in this case (but that's not hard to guess).

As for Kowloon, dooming it would be premature. I can totally see it getting low views on YouTube because it's a Baseball series which just might not gather a lot of interest on the web. I could see it stll gathering a decent following from print readers by virtue of being good. Plus the staff might sniff out potential and back it in their search for a decent sports series in the lineup, because it sure is better than anything else they got in the last years.
Uphill battle, yes, but I am carefully optimistic. It will very likely survive the next rotation at least and we will see what happens after that.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
Out of curiosity did Haikyu started out in a similar situation like Kowloon or did it became popular when the first chapter came out
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Out of curiosity did Haikyu started out in a similar situation like Kowloon or did it became popular when the first chapter came out
I remember it having crossover with nisekoi and collaboration illustration with Naruto. People were saying it was to boost not that great popularity at the start. But maybe it was just speculation
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Out of curiosity did Haikyu started out in a similar situation like Kowloon or did it became popular when the first chapter came out
Haikyuu!! remained in the top 10 for the whole of 2012, often in the top 5. TOC-wise it did pretty well from the get-go.

The only time Haikyuu!! ever did poorly in the TOC was the couple weeks before its anime announcement after Karasuno faced their first big defeat (end of S1 when animated), which perhaps wasn't best received. I remember reading weekly at the time and the placements had me worried, since it was 13th one week and 14th (last place) another. Thankfully the anime announcement came just in time and it was back to normal.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Your comparison is not quite right. Guardian of the Witch had an awful like to dislike ratio. A lot of people watched the PV, but most didn't like it. And Phantom Seer is one of the most contentious axes of the last few years. The series was more popular than your usual cancelled series, like its sales attest. It also lasted for 30 chapters, far from U19 territory.
I would say that in both cases PV performance was quite indicative of the series' early reception.

Not saying that Kowloon is doomed yet, but signs are not positive, and this weeks ToC isn't exactly great (it's comparable to i tell c's two weeks ago).
The point is the views, X or Y series having more or less views in a pv on YT doesnt really serve as a argument to predict cancelation, the dislikes can provide some clues but Our Blood Oath pv for example has few dislikes and the series ended up hated by jp readers
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Next issue: Cover and LCP Amenofuru (sweets battle comedy, "Ame" here means "candy")
Color me interested. Its going to be about food I suppose?
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
So TES continiue with the great ToC placement? I guess Japan really loves it then.
Sakamoto Days up there in the top 5 too, I'm so happy for it.
We can count the 2nd ranking of Kowloon's Ball Parade as improvement since JJK and MHA absency last issue and OP not actually ranked then, so it's definitely a good sign.
I tell C was doomed since the beginning as I expected.

I'm not so sure about that.
Sports mangas now has to be really really good to survive, being meh/decent for these couple chapters is just an axe
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Yonkou has confirmed Build is dead.

Bye bye Shimabukuro.
Build kind is too wack or cringy. nowadays, it's all about the swag ya know jjk,mha,chainsawman, even black clover. They all got the drip. But Build kind?? NAH, ain't nobody wanna cosplay as a dry dwarf construction worker espcially how inconsistent the manga is
 
Last edited:

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Jump’s version of Dagashi Kashi?
That. I didnt read it but I think it wasnt that good? Could go Sweetness and Lighting road though.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
That. I didnt read it but I think it wasnt that good? Could go Sweetness and Lighting road though.
Dagashi Kashi is what you take from it. KOTOYAMA's later series is vastly superior, but Dagashi is a fine read for a laid back comedy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top