Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This new character gave Witch Watch a new dynamic. I like it.
The changes in I tell c might have been well received by the readers since the author seems confident to start over again.
Also, Blue Box was very good, let's see which route it takes from now and if its name has some meaning to the story. I wonder if Kouji Miura is really a newbie.
And Mashle is pulling all the cliches from the book, but I'm alright with this.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
This new character gave Witch Watch a new dynamic. I like it.
The changes in I tell c might have been well received by the readers since the author seems confident to start over again.
Also, Blue Box was very good, let's see which route it takes from now and if its name has some meaning to the story. I wonder if Kouji Miura is really a newbie.
And Mashle is pulling all the cliches from the book, but I'm alright with this.
They're new to Shonen Jump, but they have been in the manga industry for quite some time now
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Nevet trust a girl who wants to help MC in his love affairs...
 
Last edited:

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright, more of the same. Pretty uninterested right now so no real emotional impact on me

Undead was great, solid backstory to hype up the fight, glad to see Shen getting plenty of love

Mashle was good, the usual fare of action and comedy, though the commentary didn't really land with me. Macaron is growing on me, I really liked the tartar sauce gag

Ayakashi was the usual stuff, but the whale joke near the end got a laugh out of me so I have to give it credit for that

Magu was also the usual, nothing much to say here

I'm surprisingly really enjoying this backstory for Dolphin, the twist near the end got me, and everything seems to be falling into place

Roboco was pretty good, solid stuff, but the ending was pretty fast

HSF was alright, though it feels a little weak after being on a hot streak for the past few weeks

And so Build King ends, except not really because the ending is in the volume release, yay. I'll admit, I was willing to stick up for it a little during the Upside-Down Castle arc, but this exam arc has been such a trainwreck I feel nothing from it ending. The arc started painfully slow introducing a ton of characters and then breezing through the first phase, only to have to rush to the end afterwards. And for a series titled "Build King" be barely got any building. Regardless, I can't say I'll miss it, which is a shame because I did enjoy Toriko, and I do feel that BK had some potential in it's lore and vigor system (if it didn't get throw at our faces over the span of about 10 chapters). I wouldn't mind Shima coming back with an artist next time, because as many people have said, man, is Tonkachi's design ugly.

Sakamoto was pretty good, glad they didn't run with the misunderstanding the whole chapter, and we got some pretty solid comedy out of it

Elusive was good, the thief is growing on me, and looks like we'll have some interesting conflict next week

Okay so now i tell c is done with it's prologue, which I feel it's been "done" with like three times already. Feels really messy and it should've just started here and left the arc where the brother died for a flashback later or something. Wouldn't be surprised if it started rushing to it's end, even if it's only entering "chapter 1"

Witch was good, I like the Tengu character

Kowloon was pretty good, entertaining game so far showing off the team's dynamic. Probably my favorite of it's batch so far

I have intentionally not read the one shot for Blue Box so as not to have any expectations for the series, and I was pleasantly surprised with how it's turned out. The main duo have chemistry, and the both have clear goals they want to achieve. We'll see how it goes from here

OP, Dr Stone, and JJK were all great this week
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Hey I may have asked this before but do you guys think a military based series kind of like AOT can be successful in jump and would make for a good business move with that series ending. We kind of have kaijuu no 8 in plus but I am talking more pacifically in jump, especially keeping in mind the success of kaijuu 8.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Blue Box still just feels like a one-shot, don't really know how they can make this last, as with Witch Watch already doing the "Live In possible romance" thing, theres just nothing here to make a story out of this plot.

Dont really know how Taiki can even help Chinatsu or Chinatsu can help Taiki.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Blue Box was a great read and a really unique experience out of the current lineup! A potentially great title to add to Jump’s historic romcom cabinet. With a Kimi no Iru Machi turn at the end there. Let’s hope the story keeps up the quality.

I’ve enjoyed this chapter more than I’ve had reading Witch Watch so far.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Magu-chan
Elusive Samurai
Dr Stone
Witch Watch
Cop and Dolphin

all had series highs this weekend,

jump has its best post haikyuu lineup in weeks, fantastic writing.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Matsuura retweeting Miura Koji’s promotional tweet for Blue Box. Your death will not be in vain :emocat
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
End of part 1 for i tell c... again. I still enjoy this manga but have no idea where the author is going with it at this point. Really liked the game in Kowloon so far, hope it's well received. Dr Stone was fantastic. Blue Box I really liked, I like the vibe and general tone. I feel like it'll be a nice series where the leads support each others goals in sports. The living together thing is a bit much but it doesn't bother me.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
BB: I gonna be part of the Hina crew! Hina ship forever! I'm going down with it! *reads the last couple pages * Ah dam-gluckgluckgluck~

JjK: Talk talk talk talk talk~

OP: Just what is Zoro made of??? o.O

TES: First supersized eyes, now supersized ears. Next we will have a Samurai with his tongue hanging out.

MHA: BOOM; wasted!

DS: That was damn close. Senku is such a madman! Love him for that though.^^

SD: The talks of Seba and Tanaka were great, lol.

BC: Not reading.

MYF: Alright, finally up to the main boss. I know this was supposed to be emotional but I was mostly annoyed reading it.

HSF: Smoking's bad, kids, m'kay?

WW: I bet this won't be the last familiar that will enter the household.

MMM: I think some of those characters should stop skipping leg day. They reeeeeeally need that training.

NDBP: Oh, some rivals already? It's very tactical so far, but I don't dislike that.

M&R: Roboco showing she has the stuff for world-class material. The world is crazy...

UU: Damn, nice flashback, poor Shen. He got done dirty by Feng. :/

Magu: Wait, did Izuma had to repeat a year? Man, this guy really is only a muscle brain. xD

AT: When his belly heated up I first though Yabuki was going that direction as in Matsuri having to deal with the other not so pleasant stuff that comes from being a biological girl, even if it is due a curse. Also Rochka is now part of the main crew with a real body and all. GJ, girl! <3
Also Jesus, Suzu! Calm your thirst, girl! o.o

HBC&D: And they have this epic long flashback talk right now in battle? I mean it is interesting but like, telling all that would take an hour or more wouldn't it?

BK: Rip.

itc: Those 11 chapters were the prologue? The story starts now? What the heck...
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
After several lackluster issues this was easily one of the best of 2021. Having a new series starting off so strong makes the whole magazine more enjoyable to read, and so many others delivered the goods this week to compete for the top spot.

Great:
1. ( - ) Blue Box (NEW) - What a fantastic first chapter! I remember enough about the oneshot to get the same feeling of enjoyment with this serialisation, but not enough that every detail that's changed is noticeable or comparable. I still love the easygoing dynamic between the main characters, and even if that final 'twist' is a little more tropey than the rest of the chapter it was still a nice way to continue to story going forward. I can already see how multiple characters might end up getting their own romances down the line with the way characters were introduced along with their sport, so all round this was everything a first chapter should be. This might have to be the first chapter I read every week from now on.
2. (-1) One Piece - I thought last week's chapter was great, but this was even better! Zoro stole the show. Fantastic action and fight choreography (which I can't say often with how small OP's panels tend to be). This has to be the best fight in the new world at this point.
3. ( - ) Me & Roboco - YES! Roboco is back to her comedic best. The extra pages really worked with the idol premise; it felt fully fleshed out, there were multiple gags on every page, and an entire arc feels competed by the end of it all. And the fact we even got a staple Me & Roboco heartfelt message about companionship at the end of it? I'm a happy fan.
4. ( - ) My Hero Academia - Sorely missed MHA last week. Lovedddd the action-packed return and seeing the multiple abilities used as 'tools'. Deku looking cooler than he's ever been. This new arc is off to a great start.
5. (+1) Dr. Stone - Even though I've ranked Dr. Stone higher in weaker issues, this is probably one of the best chapter of the series. In terms of its place in the story, it feels monumental - like so much has been built up to it and what comes after will be shift in momentum. I didn't care too much for this arc early on when they were chasing each other across the ocean but this is stellar stuff right here.
6. (-1) Sakamoto Days - Other have said it before but this chapter really gave me Gintama vibes with the main trio. The comedy and action actually works better for me than early Gintama did for me, and this chapter was no exception. Sakamoto Days knows how to kick it into high gear in those final pages and leave you wanting more.
7. (-5) Undead Unluck - Even though it's five places below last week this was an even better chapter than last time - that's how good this issue was! The scattered Shen backstory up until this moment has finally paid off, paired with some classic UU impactful action. Just awesome.

Good:
8. (+3) Black Clover - This gave major Kenpachi vs Gremmy vibes from Bleach's final arc with that meteor moment. Cool stuff, easy to read, and well drawn. I don't expect anything deep from Black Clover at this point so this is just what I want.
9. (+2) Mashle - Much better than last week's off humour. Loved the volleyball serve moment in particular. Looking forward to seeing what that final spread will lead to, but its a genre cliche at this point that tournament arcs get interrupted just as they're starting to get good.
10. ( - ) Jujutsu Kaisen - Glad to have it back. Enjoyed this chapter but boy it was dense and very wordy. Nice development overall but some of the details went over my head, ngl.
11. (-2) Nine Dragons' Ball Parade - Really enjoying the game, especially seeing all the cast get their time to shine. Starting to warm to the next member of the team after a shaky start a couple chapters ago.
12. (-5) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Another case where this being five spots lower isn't because this chapter was much weaker than last time, but everything else was just so damn good in comparison. I'm loving these chapters with the dad's co-workers and this was no exception.
13. (+1) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Wasn't convinced with this flashback last week, but this was much better. Knowing that this isn't ending right now gives me a chance to enjoy it more. The pacing was a bit manic to cover as much as it did in a single chapter, but it was an improvement from recent events.
14. (-1) WITCH WATCH - Another fun chapter, thanks to our new character in the mix. Shame it just used the same trope as Blue Box's first chapter, but either way I'm looking forward to seeing an overarching plot being established and jumping back to the school setting with the rest of the cast.
15. (-5) The Elusive Samurai - The new character is probably my favourite so far. I'm not exactly in love with the series yet as much as the Japanese readers probably are but it's enjoyable most weeks so I'm not unhappy with its success.
16. (+1) Magu-chan: God of Destruction - This is the most I've laughed at a Magu-chan chapter probably... ever? Feels painful to put it at 16th since any other week it would be way higher, but this did everything right. Magu's new fit was hilarious, the two new first years are already more likeable than the rest of the supporting cast, and the feeling of springtime and starting a new school year was executed very well.

Fine:
17. (-5) Mission: Yozakura Family - Another tragic flashback with an emotional moment at the end of these full-on chuunibyou fights. It's classic Yozakura Family at this point, for better or worse. It's found its formula which I'm sure its fans are enjoying.

Bad:
18. (-1) I tell c - Lol. So this is finally the end of the prologue? The audacity of the author to restart the series over and over when faced with poor reception until something sticks is almost admirable. I don't think anything will work at this point because quite frankly every new case and development feels very cringe and desperate, and the art often feels quite 'off'.
19. (-3) Ayakashi Triangle - So this character from that borderline filler arc is staying? Great...
20. (-2) Build King (END) - Serious competition for Our Blood Oath as one of the worst serialisation in the decade or so. Toriko has its highlights in the 200 or so chapters I read, but Build King focused on everything about Shimabukuro that agreivated me. Ultra macho-muscle-god-ugly characters, bonkers art that feels out of date, bad panelling, and focus on a specific concept that just reads as weird when the entire world is built around it. The main characters were probably the worst part of it all - who were they meant to appeal to, exactly? I'm glad this got the early axe and it being from a veteran author with good connections didn't save it, because it was the worst series in the magazine and deserves to go. Sorry to anyone who enjoyed it (if you exist).
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The following series are translated on the site: One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen and Spy X Family.

thats an interesting choice of series, not having mha is surprising.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Blue Box was very cute and definitely has a different feel than Jump's other romance series from the past decade and a half. I hope it does well, WSJ desperately something to shake up the general tone of the magazine a bit (and show that jump romcoms don't need to all be the same thing).

Build King's ending is the same as much of the rest of the series, a mess. It looks like we're getting a new gimmick-heavy battle shounen next week to replace it too so I hope that series actually makes good use of its setting unlike BK.
 

Rukasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,331
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
thats an interesting choice of series, not having mha is surprising.
They're from different publishers here in Brazil. OP SxF and JJK are published by Panini (there's even an ad for them on the M+ site) so it's probably for contractual reasons
 

c3pman

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
47
Reaction score
84
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I Tell C is unintentionally becoming a gag manga... and a really really bad one...

Blue Box had a well-rounded first chapter. This will probably stick around for some time and I hope it does!
 

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
Hey I may have asked this before but do you guys think a military based series kind of like AOT can be successful in jump and would make for a good business move with that series ending. We kind of have kaijuu no 8 in plus but I am talking more pacifically in jump, especially keeping in mind the success of kaijuu 8.
With the focus set on the (almost) real-world military, I would say it is a bit difficult to make a good series, as you would need dedicate a lot of panels to strategy.
It can be done in manga (Kingdom is a great example for this), but it usually works better with an older audience. I am not sure it would work for the majority of teens.
Expanding a bit the theme, manga about the military life, but set in a fantasy world, can easily work in Jump. I believe we can consider Naruto in this category (maybe MHA as well, but it is a bit forced).

K8 has definitely some elements of AoT (the main protagonist as a monster, the strong childhood female friend as teammate, monsters instead of titans...), but lacks the the horror aspect of the initial parts of AoT.
I think K8 would work in SJ as it is now to be honest. Sakamoto Days has more comedy segments than K8, but a lot guns/shooting which is not too far from K8.

To conclude yes, in my opinion, it could work very well as long as it is not too realistic. Still, I hope we do not get clones of K8 or SxF in SJ.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Outstanding week all around for Jump. Not just Blue Box, but pretty much everything in the established roster put out a strong showing.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
World Trigger and D Grey Man already did the military thing
it can work

Blue Box was very sweet, and i definite step up from the one shot itself, which was already something great. Genuinely looking forward towards the future chapters of this series.

Anywho, here is the Jump Giga Spring 2021 Preview(Rather interesting to see the author`s names of the new batch of one shots):

can't make out most of the names
Shuutarou Inui (Sand Storm Boarders, Doragagaga, MONKEY PUNK) is already back?? he was in the last GIGA
Shuuhei Tanizaki (Monster Arms Dealer) is back too!! I've been shilling him since 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top