Shounen - Mieruko-chan by Tomoki Izumi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Mieruko-chan by Tomoki Izumi

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire

Mieruko-chan
aka The Girl That Sees "Them"
Author: Tomoki Izumi
Genre: Comedy, Supernatural​

Synopsis from MAL:
Miko is a typical high school student whose life turns upside down when she suddenly starts to see gruesome and hideous monsters. Despite being completely terrified, Miko carries on with her daily life, pretending not to notice the horrors that surround her. She must endure the fear in order to keep herself and her friend Hana out of danger, even if that means coming face to face with the absolute worst. Blending both comedy and horror, Mieruko-chan tells the story of a girl who tries to deal with the paranormal by acting indifferent toward it.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I'd lay my life down for Miko.

@Hermit do you still read this?
Ofc man, it's actually one of my favorite ongoing manga. Hana-chan is a gem :glomp

Where did you get to? Are you up to the latest chapter?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Ofc man, it's actually one of my favorite ongoing manga. Hana-chan is a gem :glomp

Where did you get to? Are you up to the latest chapter?
How often do the chapters come out? Hana is nice too. I dig the fanservice :nod

I got up to chapter 20, will be caught up soon, need to protect Miko.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Caught up.

Curious your opinion on Julia. Btw, the ghosts in Mieruko are kinda like the curses in Jujutsu Kaisen :XD
In the sense that Julia is annoying? No, although I don't like her character type generally. What makes her work is how she's involved with the comedy (true for the other two girls too), the parts where Miko's powers contrast with Julia's are well done. She was cute with her hair down. Not sure what her role is now that Mitsue and Romm are heavily involved now. I guess she notices Hana's aura for Miko. Her wink attempts are also cute. What do you think of her?

I agree with the JJK comment with how spirits are seen by the 'sorcerer' types lol. I love how Miko tries her best to ignore them, it's a clever play on scared girl and cinnamon roll tropes (I don't know trope names). The writing progression is something. First it's kinda ecchi, and has you adore how brave Miko is in episodic events as she discovers different monsters. It's funny and cute, building a setting and character interactions, without necessarily feeling the situation Miko is in. Then the story grows a plot, and while it's still funny, the monsters become truly terrifying, like we can feel some of the horror Miko had to since chap 1. The art is top tier.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
In the sense that Julia is annoying? No, although I don't like her character type generally. What makes her work is how she's involved with the comedy (true for the other two girls too), the parts where Miko's powers contrast with Julia's are well done. She was cute with her hair down. Not sure what her role is now that Mitsue and Romm are heavily involved now. I guess she notices Hana's aura for Miko. Her wink attempts are also cute. What do you think of her?
Naah, I don;t find her annoying. I actually like her quite a bit. I thought it was funny how she kept on thinking Miko was threatening her :lmao Also her taking her lunch alone in the washroom :(
I think its nice how her and Miko have managed to become friends. And yeah, Miko can't see aura, but Julia can. Though I wonder if Julia will get to a point where she can see special grades :darn

. It's funny and cute, building a setting and character interactions, without necessarily feeling the situation Miko is in. Then the story grows a plot, and while it's still funny, the monsters become truly terrifying, like we can feel some of the horror Miko had to since chap 1. The art is top tier.
That arc with the teacher and his mother though. That was so dark. I thought it was interesting how they chose to draw the mother in such a 'disturbing' art style, to portray what she was like as a parent.

@Shobu_Yoruichi I see that avatar btw :pleased

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Dunno if you know it this series has been confirmed to receive an anime adaptation

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
New chapter out

This was quite plot heavy, which was nice. I still think that Romm is actually a good person who is just grossly misunderstood :hmm
He's definitely got some other angle, or approach to Miko's situation. My guess is he's interested in the truth and how things work rather than being concerned for anyone, in contrast to Mitsue.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Miko looked great in that get up btw :pleased
She had some swag. Seriously though she is so brave. When the charms shattered and she was barely standing I wanted to jump in to the manga to protect her :crying
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Romm's making his move. Fuck me, that was pretty scary.

James Rye

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What's really scary is that nobody knows what Romm's move actually is about. Is it power? Is it revenge? Is it madness? Is it for protection? etc.
This series does a great job with show, not tell, as we get to see a lot of stuff but don't get the explanations for them, especially with all the spirits stuff. This way we know as much as Mieruko-chan and are left just as clueless and confused and scared as her. The usage of the fear of the unknown is well-done in this series. I hope the anime gets it more fans.^^

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
What's really scary is that nobody knows what Romm's move actually is about. Is it power? Is it revenge? Is it madness? Is it for protection? etc.
This series does a great job with show, not tell, as we get to see a lot of stuff but don't get the explanations for them, especially with all the spirits stuff. This way we know as much as Mieruko-chan and are left just as clueless and confused and scared as her. The usage of the fear of the unknown is well-done in this series. I hope the anime gets it more fans.^^
The author has a way of subverting expectations too. So while I think he's a curious individual and is driven by that, he could very well turn out to have a much different motivation set on a past event (eg revenge) or similar. I enjoy the writing style too, how it goes from vignettes (to give us time to get used to the characters and world) then start to develop a plot that is engaging and terrifying, and relates to some of the stuff not in explained earlier in the more skeletal sections.

Btw I'll shameless ask for votes in the waifu wars for Miko <_<

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
That twist was.. different (one of those spirits being an ally). Fit well with the backstory and all.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Miko having to draw Michiru :lmao

Wonder what Michiru's story is though.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Do agree hospitals are scary places.

Miko is having some trouble determining the monsters from normal, which you could expect. She is a strong girl.

Also, fan art from reddit: