Shounen - Tokyo Revengers by Ken Wakui | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Tokyo Revengers by Ken Wakui

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Tokyo Revengers

Author : Wakui Ken
Genre : Action, School, Shounen, delinquents
Magazine : Weekly Shounen Magazine (Kodansha)

Synopsis :
"Takemichi Hanagaki's life is at an all-time low. Just when he thought it couldn't get worse, he finds out that Hinata Tachibana, his ex-girlfriend, was murdered by the Tokyo Manji Gang: a group of vicious criminals that has been disturbing society's peace for quite some time. Wondering where it all went wrong, Takemichi suddenly finds himself travelling through time, ending up 12 years in the past—when he was still in a relationship with Hinata. Realizing he has a chance to save her, Takemichi resolves to infiltrate the Tokyo Manji Gang and climb the ranks in order to rewrite the future and save Hinata from her tragic fate." (source Mal)​

Last edited:

thedude

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
looks like i'll be the first to comment here...

Just been binging this one the past few days, and while I haven't read on to the latest arc, I really don't think it matters - the author had the perfect end, and decided "nah, wanna keep going". Hopefully it's still good, but man, you don't always have to get to 600 chapters, sometimes a story has a natural end. Just end it.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Ok i ended up starting reading it, i couldnt wait the anime season to end, as i really wanted to know what happened after Draken was stabbed and I'm not disappointed at all. Currently at chapter 34 , it's not perfect, nothing is, but i really enjoy it so much, there's really some strong and emotional moments, characters are really good. The manga is easy to read, designs are great too, and yeah so far it is really good, not regretting at all picking it up.

Mickey : Draken is the best character, so far imo, but Mickey, not only is badass, but hes really an awesome guy, he really grows on me lately. That scene :zomg

I do like Takemichi clumsiness, i like how he did his best to fight despite not being a fighter type, he reminded me Naruto when he was a "loser" i like his determination, but the guy keeps suffering, and witnesses people he cherishes dying in different timelines.

That scene was so sad, so he ended up being unable to save Hina and Sendou from dying in this timeline despite changing the present. :pout

Honestly, so far it's an excellent manga with also great feedbacks, i don't understand why it seems so underrated here.

Last edited:

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
So who's caught up to this manga?

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So who's caught up to this manga?
Oh you read it :wtf ? I m around chap 85 it's pretty fast to catch even for the slow paced reader, i am. And really not disappointed, so far. there' s definitely some flaws, but the pace, the plot twists, the humor and sad parts, characterisation, make it really good, honestly it's a great shonen to read (at least so far).

NB and the manga is even better than its adaptation.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
After ep. 12, I couldn't resist anymore and caught up yesterday. As Erin said, it's easy to read. The strength of the series is the cast. The character dynamics/interactions are great, such as Takemitchy-Chifuyu, Mikey-Draken, Takemitchy-Hina, Mitsuya-Hakkai, and I could go on and on. Imo, Mikey is the best character, "Above the heavens and under the heavens, I alone is the honored one." :hip Takemitchy is a decent MC. Yes he's lame, weak, cringey, but he's got the heart of a lion and lowkey can be hilarious. Oh, and fuck Kisaki! Also, the character designs are great, Wakui really excels with this, past and present for a large cast.

The series does have some flaws. It can get repetitive, ie Takemitchy being the literal definition of a punching bag in each fight, always coming back after hits. Also, the actions of characters can have me flummoxed at times, like Kazuotora, Izana, and Takemitchy. I guess it's cuz they're delinquents going through puberty lol, tho Takemitchy doesn't get that excuse for his shortsightedness. But these doesn't take away from the enjoyment much, if at all. The story has me engrossed.

Regarding the current (Final) arc, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, as it does have promise. Already some good moments, changes to the usual formula, and we're dealing with Mikey directly, the scene of him asking for help hit hard. Though I do think Wakui could've ended this last arc. I'd have been pretty satisfied, as I liked how things were being wrapped up.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
@BD_Beno @Erinyes Chapter 213 is out! https://catmanga.org/series/tr/213

Both Senju and Wakasa look so pretty. Ken Wakui is really good at making character designs, lol. Also doesn't Senju resemble Gojo a bit? :p

I have to wonder though...what are 27-28 year old adults doing in a middle school gang lol?

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's like these dudes had a reunion, reminisced of old times, and were like we still got it. I'm most curious in why Senju leads them, is he Hashirama's descendant lol. Appearance wise, I was thinking Mikey with his elementary hair, tho the eyelashes are unique. Also, their interest in Takemithcy makes sense, considering the comparisons with Shinichiro and possible utility against Mikey. The man is in his popular phase, but I guess past Takemitchy declined their offer.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
@BD_Beno
Just recently learned there is a character named Taiju in Tokyo Revengers. Is this actually true? :lmao

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
@BD_Beno
Just recently learned there is a character named Taiju in Tokyo Revengers. Is this actually true? :lmao
Yes there is. Minor spoiler: They're polar opposites. This Taiju is a major antagonist, a monster, and incredibly violent.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
Yes there is. Minor spoiler: They're polar opposites. This Taiju is a major antagonist, a monster, and incredibly violent.
And you forgot retarded as well. He's so messed up in the head when it comes to his siblings.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
And you forgot retarded as well. He's so messed up in the head when it comes to his siblings.
That guy has no limits , he is such a trash he goes that far and abuse his siblings especially Yuzuha and then go to church and act as a devoted Christian and damn Mitsuya is just so coooool ! I ship him with Yuzuha ! :zomg
My faves characters so far, are Draken, Mikey, Baji, Mitsuya, but honestly characters in this series are well written.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had to do some research about the whole Delinquent thing, turns out it really is a youth subculture with American G.I. Influences that started after WW2:

Pretty cool to see the real thing it's all based on, because the culture seemed so made up to me, but had too much specificity to be actually made up if that makes sense lol.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Had to do some research about the whole Delinquent thing, turns out it really is a youth subculture with American G.I. Influences that started after WW2:

Pretty cool to see the real thing it's all based on, because the culture seemed so made up to me, but had too much specificity to be actually made up if that makes sense lol.
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that article, those influences related to WWII remind me somehow of Rainbow, i dont know if you read the manga or watched the anime, setting is post WWII, and it fits what the article says like influences of American GIs in Japanese culture . I like the whole importance of appearance, attires and hair looks, (visual identity) and that video about girls delinquency is interesting (reminds me that Kyoko Honda, Tohru's mother in Fruits Basket was a former delinquent :teehee ) and TR delinquents fit acurately the article too, i see now, why getting an uniform is so important to belong to the gang.
And I might me wrong it seems to me they have some yakuza influence too, like tatoos, and territory influence etc.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that article, those influences related to WWII remind me somehow of Rainbow, i dont know if you read the manga or watched the anime, setting is post WWII, and it fits what the article says like influences of American GIs in Japanese culture . I like the whole importance of appearance, attires and hair looks, (visual identity) and that video about girls delinquency is interesting (reminds me that Kyoko Honda, Tohru's mother in Fruits Basket was a former delinquent :teehee ) and TR delinquents fit acurately the article too, i see now, why getting an uniform is so important to belong to the gang.
And I might me wrong it seems to me they have some yakuza influence too, like tatoos, and territory influence etc.
Yeah, I read some other articles that said a lot of these guys eventually graduate into the Yakuza, but a lot just go to normal lives, or even keeping the delinquent sub culture as adults.

It actually makes me enjoy the story more, knowing that this is real (even the middle school aspect lol. And that is age 12-15. That's when the gangs form, and they actually are very strict on fighting your own age level, looking down on fights between older/younger groups). When I was initially reading this, it felt like a "hey, lets make a Yakuza manga, but in middle school", but now I see, this is actually a real thing and age appropriate!

I'll check out some of the other things you mentioned there.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Caught up up to 148
But nooooooo.... Emmaaaaaaaaa !!

That bastard of Kisaki.... Seriously that was dirty, killing a girl, from behind... just to keep hurting Mikey who already lost his bro and Baji :pout And takemitchy never ending sufferings, plus now he cant return to the future anymore with Naoto dead !!! That Emma's dead is hurting.... Mikey now lost all his siblings !

that scene :pout

Last edited:

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, that chap is on the shortlist of most emotional chaps. It hit hard when Mikey said Emma went cold :emobirb

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah, that chap is on the shortlist of most emotional chaps. It hit hard when Mikey said Emma went cold
Feel so bad for Mikey, he never swallowed Baji's death and now Emma...that scene was heartbreaking with the picture of his dream with Draken and Emma married... and Takemitchy cant even reset it.
Oh there re more emotional chapters to come ? :pout Im really looking for that part to get animated, yeah it has some flaws but this manga is just so good so far ( if quality doesnt drop, hopefully ). But you get attached to characters and then... i ve never expected neither Baji nor Emma to die, but I knew the setting is made for cruel moments and expected other losses.

Btw the author really has guts, props to him killing off characters who are probably among the most loved.... ( well unless he comes up with a bs reset or alternative timeline, or idk, theres no way those 2 come back to life)

That double spread is so beautifuul :zomg

Last edited: