Theory - Sabo's awakening let's him fight Akainu. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Sabo's awakening let's him fight Akainu.

AmitDS

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I am one of those that believe that Sabo should get to fight Akainu while Luffy gets Blackbeard, so both brothers avenge Ace.

As we know Sabo has Ace's fruit and those flames are weak against Akainu's magma. Though haki equalizes things now, I still think it would be poetic if Sabo uses Ace's fruit to defeat Akainu via surpassing Ace's flames against the magma.

We don't know everything a logia awakening or even the flare flare fruit's flames could entail so what if the awakening or even mastery of the flames can allow for blue and/or even white flames which surpass the heat of Akainu's magma in Oda's OP physics?

Blue or even white (I prefer blue) also would match Sabo's color scheme and serve to make the fruit more his own ie more unique.

Sabo surpassing Ace's flames or being helped by Ace's memory and spirit to surpass his fire and thus Akainu's magma would be a great way for Sabo to make up for not being there to help Ace AND it would be a great way to defeat Akainu.

Sabo already has battled admirals and as the Revolutionary Army's Chief of Staff he'd be someone in direct conflict with admirals and even the Fleet Admiral.

Plus, most don't want Luffy hogging all the opponents so if he gets Blackbeard and even Imu with his dad or something, then Sabo can get Akainu and even Zoro, Sanji and Jinbei can get the remaining admirals.

Last edited:

MarcioMartins474

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It might be interesting, but Marco already has blue flames. But I believe Sabo will fight Akainu in the final arc. He inherited Ace's will, his legacy and could be a kind of rematch (sorry for my bad English 😅)

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Marco already got blue flames but that might be due to phoenix lore. The awakening of Ace's fruit can go in the blue flame direction buuut this begs the question, if the awakened flare flare fruit just simply produce hotter flames then what about the awakening of the magma fruit? I wonder how that'd work or play out if they were both awakened. Almost seem like we'd be back at square 1. The likelyhood of Akainu awakening his fruit vs Sabo is much higher too since he has had much more time to home his fruit's powers and he probably has had more (epic) battles than Sabo have.

I think I'd much rather Sabo win without awakening because like Luffy, he is just that badass. If Luffy can defeat Katakuri whose fruit is the higher tier version of Luffy's then Sabo can do the same with Akainu. Or he couldn't. I wouldn't mind Akainu killing him too lol.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It wouldn't make sense for Sabo to fight Akainu because Akainu killed Ace in front of Luffy, and he was powerless to stop it. Luffy should be the one getting revenge.

But otherwise Sabo does make sense, because he's getting revenge for Ace and Luffy and protecting Luffy. But all in all, I prefer Luffy to at least fight Akainu with Sabo, if not alone, because he has more of a personal vendetta.

Idkwhatanameis

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be fun if its a tag team at first for revenge which then turns into a 1v1 sorta like luffy leaving him to sabo or vice versa. maybe a 2 v 2 Luffy vs akainu and fuji vs sabo rematch

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Awakening wouldn't close the gap.

Magma is superior to Fire for one reason... Magma is like water/liquid foam and it smothers fire off oxygen meaning it will go out. Doesn't matter how hot fire can get, once something can smother it, it's a wrap.

AmitDS

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
It might be interesting, but Marco already has blue flames. But I believe Sabo will fight Akainu in the final arc. He inherited Ace's will, his legacy and could be a kind of rematch (sorry for my bad English 😅)
Well the blue I had in mind was more like what we see on our stoves ie like Azula's 😂 not Marco's teal.
About the second part I agree 100%. I would love for Sabo, Zoro, Sanji and Jinbei or someone else to get admirals to fight.

Yeah Marco already got blue flames but that might be due to phoenix lore. The awakening of Ace's fruit can go in the blue flame direction buuut this begs the question, if the awakened flare flare fruit just simply produce hotter flames then what about the awakening of the magma fruit? I wonder how that'd work or play out if they were both awakened. Almost seem like we'd be back at square 1. The likelyhood of Akainu awakening his fruit vs Sabo is much higher too since he has had much more time to home his fruit's powers and he probably has had more (epic) battles than Sabo have.

I think I'd much rather Sabo win without awakening because like Luffy, he is just that badass. If Luffy can defeat Katakuri whose fruit is the higher tier version of Luffy's then Sabo can do the same with Akainu. Or he couldn't. I wouldn't mind Akainu killing him too lol.
Well Marco's is more teal while Sabo's in my headcanon could be more akin to like Azula's. The awakening thing I agree with which is why I included him possibly just mastering the fruit to the point that he makes the flames hotter which may not necessarily be from awakening.

It wouldn't make sense for Sabo to fight Akainu because Akainu killed Ace in front of Luffy, and he was powerless to stop it. Luffy should be the one getting revenge.

But otherwise Sabo does make sense, because he's getting revenge for Ace and Luffy and protecting Luffy. But all in all, I prefer Luffy to at least fight Akainu with Sabo, if not alone, because he has more of a personal vendetta.
Sabo hated his own powerlessness due to him not even remembering so he does have a reason to get involved.

I feel like Sabo returning as his big brother, helping him with his burden can be a good enough reason for Luffy to let him take Akainu while he takes BB.

It would be fun if its a tag team at first for revenge which then turns into a 1v1 sorta like luffy leaving him to sabo or vice versa. maybe a 2 v 2 Luffy vs akainu and fuji vs sabo rematch
I personally don't want Luffy hogging every cool villain so that's why I prefer he and Sabo share the burden.

Awakening wouldn't close the gap.

Magma is superior to Fire for one reason... Magma is like water/liquid foam and it smothers fire off oxygen meaning it will go out. Doesn't matter how hot fire can get, once something can smother it, it's a wrap.
Well I was just going by the official translation of what Akainu said about his fruit being superior.

I also don't think awakening alone would allow him to fight or beat Akainu since his other skills like his haki mastery for example would have to come into play. I just think it will give him a better chance than Ace had with his fire if it goes down like this.

Last edited:

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Officially, Akainu's powers are superior and can "burn fire". It doesn't matter what would make sense in real life, this is the official explanation.

Based on this explanation alone, if Ace could increase his temperature, he probably could withstand Akainu's ability.

Don't bother with real-life physics. Defeating fire with magma doesn't matter sense at all. -_-;

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Sabo hated his own powerlessness due to him not even remembering so he does have a reason to get involved.

I feel like Sabo returning as his big brother, helping him with his burden can be a good enough reason for Luffy to let him take Akainu while he takes BB.
Yeah but it's still not as personal for Sabo as it is for Luffy, who was more powerless to save Ace and was the reason Ace had a hole in his gut. At best, I see Sabo and Luffy working together to take out Akainu and Blackbeard, but not Sabo taking either out, unless Akainu isn't as high up in the totem pole as he was.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible that Sabo will get a go at Akainu, but I think Luffy has dibs on the final one on one. Luffy was right there was Akainu did the deed and has the scar on his chest that will be a life long reminder of what happened.

Oda even went the extra mile of having the scar ache for Luffy when reminded of Akainu.

As for the Awakening, not sure if it'll go down like that. Highly probable that Akainu has Awakening as well given what we saw at Punk Hazard. I think that alone will basically override any potential of the Fire Fruit's Awakening surpassing a fruit that's already stated to be superior. Of course, that doesn't mean Sabo will inherently lose, but I don't see the hierarchy of fruits changing.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
It's possible that Sabo will get a go at Akainu, but I think Luffy has dibs on the final one on one. Luffy was right there was Akainu did the deed and has the scar on his chest that will be a life long reminder of what happened.

Oda even went the extra mile of having the scar ache for Luffy when reminded of Akainu.

As for the Awakening, not sure if it'll go down like that. Highly probable that Akainu has Awakening as well given what we saw at Punk Hazard. I think that alone will basically override any potential of the Fire Fruit's Awakening surpassing a fruit that's already stated to be superior. Of course, that doesn't mean Sabo will inherently lose, but I don't see the hierarchy of fruits changing.
Oh yeah

The author already stated that Akainu's fruit is superior to Ace/Sabo's

Awakening would only give an advantage to Sabo if Akainu has not awakened his fruit already

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Awakening seems to be one of those things that only Paramecia can do. In the same way, Jinju-gata is exclusive to Zoan and so far are the only Ancient and Mythical devil fruits.

Logia, as they are, do not need awakening.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Awakening seems to be one of those things that only Paramecia can do. In the same way, Jinju-gata is exclusive to Zoan and so far are the only Ancient and Mythical devil fruits.

Logia, as they are, do not need awakening.
Jinju-gata as in the hybrid forms? Well, those are just a normal part of a zoan, not something they unlock.

The first time awakened DFs were mentioned in the manga was about awakened Zoans, on Impel Down, so it's safe to assume logias can awaken too but each awakening is likely different from the rest.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Jinju-gata as in the hybrid forms? Well, those are just a normal part of a zoan, not something they unlock.

The first time awakened DFs were mentioned in the manga was about awakened Zoans, on Impel Down, so it's safe to assume logias can awaken too but each awakening is likely different from the rest.
Yup.

I know the term was used for Zoan and that kinda extends to Logia as well, but only Paramecia have a great deal of change of their power.

For all purposes, Haki has more relevance for Logia users and even more when reaching higher levels of fights (Like Yonkous and admirals). A good example is what we're seeing right now.

Anyway, my point is that it won't matter if Sabo fruit's power is awakened or not, since for Logia awakening should not be a big difference rather than the strength it has. The battle against Aikanu will be decided by Haki.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
My take is a bit different, I don't think an awakening would be enough to even the odds against the magma fruit. In theory given the apparent superiority of magma over fire to me it sounds like at least temperature wise akainu would have an immunity to fire regardless of an awakening. Akainu is naturally hotter, period. That said when ace used the fruit some of his technique had piercing or even explosive power. I don't think there is a specific reason akainu would be immune to being pierced, even by fire, or immune to explosions (though being a logia makes this a bit weird). I don't see how an awakening as we understand them so far (in this case hypothetically turning the environment into fire much like how katakuri turned stuff into mochi) would help turn the tables on akainu. And more importantly, it's extremely unlikely sabo will get an awakening. He just barely got the fruit... Meanwhile awakening is related to actual mastery of a fruit. So the actual situation is that sabo's awakening should be years away from him while in turn akainu is a solid candidate to have one right now. And his awakening would definitely be a threat to a fire logia.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
My take is a bit different, I don't think an awakening would be enough to even the odds against the magma fruit. In theory given the apparent superiority of magma over fire to me it sounds like at least temperature wise akainu would have an immunity to fire regardless of an awakening. Akainu is naturally hotter, period. That said when ace used the fruit some of his technique had piercing or even explosive power. I don't think there is a specific reason akainu would be immune to being pierced, even by fire, or immune to explosions (though being a logia makes this a bit weird). I don't see how an awakening as we understand them so far (in this case hypothetically turning the environment into fire much like how katakuri turned stuff into mochi) would help turn the tables on akainu. And more importantly, it's extremely unlikely sabo will get an awakening. He just barely got the fruit... Meanwhile awakening is related to actual mastery of a fruit. So the actual situation is that sabo's awakening should be years away from him while in turn akainu is a solid candidate to have one right now. And his awakening would definitely be a threat to a fire logia.
It's not a matter of which is hotter. Fire can be hotter than Magma, well it has more potential to be. Magma heat is limited whereas Flames can actually exceed the temperature of Magma iirc.

The reason why Magma is superior to Fire is because Magma can extinguish Fire or starve it off oxygen. Magma is not just a gas, it's pretty much semi-solid/liquidy.

Heat cannot burn Heat, the concept makes no sense.

Mud would put out fire, has nothing to do with heat, it's simply the ability to starve it off oxygen. Foam can put out fire, not because foam is hot, simply starves it off oxygen. Magma just does what mud would do to a flame, starve it off oxygen.

Ace got burnt simply because:
  1. Magma like Foam/Mud or any similar substance can starve fire off oxygen and thus put it out which essentially renders Ace being forced into human form the way Water forces Crocodile into Human form.
  2. Ace being in Human form as a result of Magma extinguishing Fire... it made it possible for his flesh to be burnt.
Ace could have been hotter than Akainu the entire time, the issue was Magma is almost like water (if not even superior to it) against flames. No level of Awakening would have stopped Akainu's superiority unless Ace simply dodged.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
The official explanation is that magma magic is superior to fire magic.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
The official explanation is that magma magic is superior to fire magic.
I'm pretty certain it didn't say that.

What it said was that the Magma is Superior, not that it's hotter.

Superior just means better, and given that Magma is pretty much liquid that also generates heat, it's superior to plain flames.

Monox D. I-Fly

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Magma like Foam/Mud or any similar substance can starve fire off oxygen and thus put it out which essentially renders Ace being forced into human form the way Water forces Crocodile into Human form.
So, Califa and Caribou can defeat Ace in a situation like Luffy VS Enel, then?

Luffyfan30

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't want it, Luffy deserves that revenge more than any one in my opinion.